HD.4420 State House and Boston Common Rally

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a concern?
Well considering the fact that I could tell from first glance that you didn’t write it, I’d say so. You need to make your letter personal to you. The legislators here unfortunately don’t give two shits about how unconstitutional the bill is or how it grants too much power to the government. Give them some of your personal pain points and how the bill will affect you specifically. The letter doesn’t need to be a long drawn out thing, just keep it brief.

Wow indeed. Follow the KISS principle. Handwrite your letter if possible, adds a special feel to it. Again, doesn’t need to be long. They’re probably not going to read the whole thing anyway. They’re just going to see that you oppose the bill and add it to the tally. You could probably even write down on a napkin “I oppose HD.4420” and mail that in tbh.

Realistically, writing letters shouldn’t be your only method of communication with your legislators either. Call them. Try to meet with them in person if you can. If you can’t schedule a time to go to their office and meet with them, lots of them attend public events you could probably catch them at. The point is you need to exhaust every method of communication possible.

Someone on the thread asked for a a template they could use. The more letters submitted, the better--so if the template incentivizes more to submit--then great. It's not long and drawn out--it's intelligent and well formulated--in language they speak and understand. Effective persuasion requires you to understand your audience.

Someone on the thread asked for a a template they could use. The more letters submitted, the better--so if the template incentivizes more to submit--then great. It's not long and drawn out--it's intelligent and well formulated--in language they speak and understand. Effective persuasion requires you to understand your audience.
Which you don’t. The reps themselves aren’t going to read the letters, their aides will and just add you to the tally. You’re just wasting time.
Do you work for GOAL?

No I don’t. However, GOAL has explicitly told people not to use form letters or templates for writing their representatives. They’ve given people the exact same advice I just gave you. Write your own personal letter and don’t use a template. If anything, templates and form letters hurt the cause. They see the fact that you didn’t care enough about the issue to write your own letter and decide it must not be that important of a bill anyway.

Someone on the thread asked for a a template they could use.

Point out the comment where they asked since it seems like you don’t know how to use the reply button. This thread for the last week or so has been all about the rally, I don’t remember seeing a comment from anyone asking for help writing a letter in a long time. Are you living your life in a delay?

Yes... yes that's exactly what I'm doing. Thank you for pointing out why this country is in trouble... working together to repair is difficult with people who decide to scan through a week of threads to prove someone wrong who is doing something to help. But your investigation is just impressive you literally went back to seek this... mind blowing ...
Doesn’t take much investigation. I was being generous when I said a week. Realistically it’s been closer to a couple of months since people were asking for help writing letters. If you’re only just now at the letter writing stage, HD.4420 will have already been passed and signed into law by the time you find time in your busy schedule and meet/call your rep.

Making this a separate thread so folks can hopefully coordinate meetings, rideshare, etc. We have GOT to show up for this one, folks. The opposition is already scheduling a State House day to push this abomination down our throats.

******************************************************************************************
Event Details:
Wednesday, September 27th, 2023
Starting at 11AM at the Parkman Bandstand - eastern side of the Boston Common

At 1PM we'll move into the State House

Map of the Boston Common and location of the Parkman Bandstand

See you there!

This fight is not over!

I do wish there was a zoom contingent for those of uswho cant get the day off but would still love to attend.

Ok bro gotta be trolling at this point
Naw, man i think you've got this one wrong.

A relatively new, low post count member helicopters in with a double post of a chat-gpt form letter (on a thread that has only ever been about a rally) then gets butt hurt when he's not treated as a hero.

Totally legit.
Card Games Friends GIF by AsmodeeGames

You know grendizer138 ... way to be divisive with your "lame" comment. We are all trying to rally for the same cause and you decide to throw out some literary holier- than- thou advice of 'keeping it real'... why do you even care if 'no one reads it and just tallies it'.. seems to me my 3 second template that could be utilized by many people to "up the tally" beats the hell out a handwritten napkin stating how I'm 'personally am affected by this. Nothing spells potential lunatic like a pro gun napkin note. Next time keep your rude smug reply to yourself... it doesn't help the cause.
rude GIF

[rofl]

I'm going to the rally on Wednesday.
I'm looking for 20 signs, I plan to staple them to strapping, and hand them out at the rally.
Does anyone know where I can get 20 signs?

I'm going to the rally on Wednesday.
I'm looking for 20 signs, I plan to staple them to strapping, and hand them out at the rally.
Does anyone know where I can get 20 signs?

Might be cheaper options.

Is there a graphic design someone’s already come up with?

Should I create one to share here? Any ideas besides “NO TO 4420?”

For those looking to avoid sitting in bum piss on the train, I recommend downloading the 'Spot Hero' app that can help you find parking in the area for the lowest price while accounting for your walking distance and other relevant factors (traffic in the area, parking duration, etc.)

Edit: I will most likely go to the Gillette parking lot across the bridge from South Station, it's a little pricey but I like the walk and it has been reliable for me for many years. It is the most convenient during weekends ($5 whole day) but expensive during week days ($25 whole day).
Ride the redline 3 times a week (Was 5 before Covid shutdowns)

It’s not that bad, especially during business hours. You’re nowhere near “bad neighborhoods” we hear about. Between Alewife and JFK there is no place I wouldn’t walk around in. Some sketchy stuff to the south where redline splits but nowhere near where the rally is.

in 10 years I think I’ve played the “unidentified liquid” game 3 times. And it was on the floor. People spill stuff…it happens

Feel free to call me a vagina, (because frankly I feel like one).

On one hand I would love to go to this event, and on the other I'm honestly nervous about it.

With all of the baloney going on these days, I feel it's a place where one "Bad Apple" could get the whole group/atendees scrutinized by the government.

C'mon! 2 years AFTER J6 and people are still getting nabbed by feds?!?

I'm not going to sugar coat it, it's obvious I'm letting the fear control me, but how are the rest of you addressing any potential apprehensions about going in person to this event?
Dress a bit. How many troublemakers have on a pair of pants (that weren't denim) and a collared shirt with maybe a sportscoat?

That's all it takes to look like your're not part of any potential "troublemakers". There's also the option to just walk away if trouble starts. You're not stuck there...walk away. I have a 6th sense for when SHTF in a public setting and usually make my exit about 2 minutes before.

Dress a bit. How many troublemakers have on a pair of pants (that weren't denim) and a collared shirt with maybe a sportscoat?

That's all it takes to look like your're not part of any potential "troublemakers". There's also the option to just walk away if trouble starts. You're not stuck there...walk away. I have a 6th sense for when SHTF in a public setting and usually make my exit about 2 minutes before.
I guess the esteemed senator from Pa. can't attend.

For anyone debating driving vs mass transit, I'd suggest conquering those fears and taking transit. Wednesday is one of the WORST days to get into our out of the city and once you do, parking sucks the big one.

Many offices are hybrid now and human nature pushes people to not going into the office on Mondays and Fridays. Judging by the parking lots at the commuter rail and comments from coworker who chose to drive, Wednesday and Thursday suck all around for traffic. The only thing that helps is the rally is a bit later that morning rush hour

Some of the trains that come from the North stop at Porter Sq and it's an easy transfer to the the Redline.
If not, At North Station hop on the Orange Line (toward Forrest Hills) to Downtown Crossing and a 4 min walk.

From Framingham/Worcester and all points South the trains go to South Station and It's no more that a 15 minute walk from there. Redline for 2 stops if you want but you can probably walk faster. Don't believe the hype about Downtown crossing. It's fine during the day...full of people coming and going to work/lunch. Walked through with my wife 3pm just last week. She was not at all concerned

If anyone needs any help feel free to PM me and I'll even give you my cell to text in real time if you need help.

There are also several pub/resturants on Charles street (and the common in general) serving brew for relaxation later

I'm looking at driving in from Taunton
If someone needs to carpool, pm me

Any info on parking would be great - don't mind walking a decent distance.

Is the Green not running from North Station to Park right now?
It is, but you could skateboard faster.

I discourage the green line unless you need to go west from downtown and it's the only option. Anything...bus, orange line, walk.
Green line is the slowest most unreliable of all the transit lines. I avoid it at all costs.

Orange line to Downtown Crossing, and the Park St station is within sight when you look north (3-4 minute walk between DTX and Park...just walk north up Summer-Winter...you can even do it underground with the connector tunnel)
They're only a couple hundred yards apart
Orange line is mostly new cars now too

Heck I forgot those taking commuter rail into South Station don't even have to go that far. Can hop on Orange line at either Ruggles or BackBay and get off at DTX

If the old ladies with the rainbow pins can take the train to the climate change rally (and there were lots of them) I'm sure NES grumpy old guys can

Last edited:
I'm looking at driving in from Taunton
If someone needs to carpool, pm me

Any info on parking would be great - don't mind walking a decent distance.
There is always the Boston Common Garage. I believe you can even book a spot ahead of arrival.

I've had good luck with the Post Office Square Lot (sits between Congress and Pearl streets not far from Quincy Market)
There is also a garage on Devonshire near downtown crossing I've used a few times...short walk from there

In a pinch, you can park at one of the Mass General lots/garages and just walk down Charles St. You'll pay a premium without validated parking, but it's fairly close.

Naw, man i think you've got this one wrong.

A relatively new, low post count member helicopters in with a double post of a chat-gpt form letter (on a thread that has only ever been about a rally) then gets butt hurt when he's not treated as a hero.

Totally legit.
Card Games Friends GIF by AsmodeeGames

how-do-you-do-fellow-kids-steve-buscemi.gif

Last 6 months of NES, a good chunk of the new members that post are either obvious sock puppet recycles or these weird leftist controlled op type things basically doing their best steve buscemi impression while simultaneously scoring a solid 10/10 on a dunning-kruger test about gun politics and law, if there ever was one...1

Green line is shuttling that route currently- Orange line is the way to go if you can't walk 20 minutes.
20 minutes? I could crawl on my hands and knees and stop for a beer along the way in 20 minutes.

Here's a map and a street view. You can see how close Park at Downtown Crossing are.

The street view is from DTX looking north up Winter St. If squint you can see the giant T in the distance. That's Park St station. They are literally that close. And the band stand is just a bit further to the left once you get to Park St

Attachments

• DTX.jpg
    DTX.jpg
    346.2 KB · Views: 19
  • DTXStreetView.jpg
    DTXStreetView.jpg
    513 KB · Views: 19
View attachment 799069

Last 6 months of NES, a good chunk of the new members that post are either obvious sock puppet recycles or these weird leftist controlled op type things basically doing their best steve buscemi impression while simultaneously scoring a solid 10/10 on a dunning-kruger test about gun politics and law, if there ever was one...1
This poster is extra good. In 3 years, like 75% of posts are "in" on giveaways. Great contributor.

20 minutes? I could crawl on my hands and knees and stop for a beer along the way in 20 minutes.

Here's a map and a street view. You can see how close Park at Downtown Crossing are.

The street view is from DTX looking north up Winter St. If squint you can see the giant T in the distance. That's Park St station. They are literally that close. And the band stand is just a bit further to the left once you get to Park St
I think he was saying 20 minutes from North Station...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom