House Review of S2284 (formerly SB 2265)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to latest version/number:

https://malegislature.gov/Bills/188/Senate/S2284

As the previous thread got bogged down with commentary and opinion (present company admitting to that), let's have a new thread for this next phase in the house.

Let's try to keep this thread with information about who (Reps.), what (communications), when (votes, hearings) of this House phase.

I'll update OP and Thread title as appropriate. I'd really like to get a chat setup for the next legislative sessions, so that info can be broadcast to those observing in real-time.

GOAL page of status/resources:

http://goal.org/alert-defeat-chapter-180-part2.html

Roll Call for Amendment #6

https://malegislature.gov/Bills/188/Senate/S2265/RollCall

Previous thread for the Senate Bill

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...out-of-Senate-Ways-and-Means-(FID-Suitability)

Last edited:
Great idea. Do we know any fence sitters that could be pushed to our cause and or the other side?
Also Subbing in

From my understanding, this is now going to a committee, 3 & 3, to hammer out differences and put forth a final bill. Between the other thread, and reading about the processes of this, as well as the general feel from legislators, they may well just agree on this current version. I do believe Peterson is on the committee-seems he played it that way. And possibly timilty. I'm curious to see if it is just committee, and, if so, if they simply rubber stamp it, send it to the governor. I looked into the veto thing, and I don't think it's an issue. He will likely just approve what's put in front of him.
On a side note, lots of crying foul from the anti side. That's a lovely thing to hear :)

I think GOAL will provide some direction today. I'm going to hammer my Statist Rep. about LEO favoritism and that such BS will get the state sued over the AWB which could jeopardize their whole system in MA with respect to Federal Law.

See the GOAL FB page for yesterday (pre-vote) where they say what the process is. If the House votes not to concur with the Senate bill, a Conference Committee is appointed, consisting of three reps and three senators. The Committee is supposed to be bipartisan and given the overwhelming Dem majority I assume there would be 2 Dems and 1 GOP from each chamber.

Call your reps in the house, per GOAL email/website bill now goes back to house for concurrence vote, if it doesn't pass then to the joint committee

This. Call your reps. Tell them you don't approve of the Senate taking their bill and sneaking in a favor to police that does nothing but clearly treat us as an inferior class of constituents.

Make sure you also say you support the FID amendment. Remember, the house approved FID suitability and the Senate removed it

I think GOAL will provide some direction today. I'm going to hammer my Statist Rep. about LEO favoritism and that such BS will get the state sued over the AWB which could jeopardize their whole system in MA with respect to Federal Law.

Ummm.....if we feel that LEO favoritism might help get the MA-AWB tossed out, then why in the world should we fight it?

with as much infringement as we face, I personally don't see some LEO having a flash hider and collapsible stock as our primary issue....especially if we can use that situation to help get our statewide AWB ripped up in federal court.

Ummm.....if we feel that LEO favoritism might help get the MA-AWB tossed out, then why in the world should we fight it?

with as much infringement as we face, I personally don't see some LEO having a flash hider and collapsible stock as our primary issue....especially if we can use that situation to help get our statewide AWB ripped up in federal court.
Yes, this is the least of my worries.

I have a feeling if LEO favoritism worked in our favor we'd be buying guns on the AG list.

i'm not trying to create a side debate but there is a big difference between the AG/EOPS lists and the current LEO AWB situation because the latter would be written in the MGL, thus opening it up for examination by a (likely) federal court. IANAL but I do not know to what extent the EOPS/AG "lists" can be directly examined by a higher court. that's also unrelated to S.2265.

once it's written in the MGL, I would think the LEO AWB favoritism becomes fair game to be challenged. so if the moonbats on beacon hill are willing to write stupid laws that open up the MGL to a higher court, I don't think we should necessarily stop them.

I signed off at 1630 hrs. last night so could someone give me or steer me to a list of what amendments passed and which were dropped and where we stand on the Senate version. I received GOALS email but it didn't give me any details.

Last edited:
according to the Globe we won. Rosenthal and the Mommies are having nervous breakdowns.
http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...olence-bill/6VnoPwQ5iXb8LRygiqVk0J/story.html

- - - Updated - - -

go here: https://malegislature.gov/Bills/188/Senate/S2265/Amendments?filter=Senate&pg=2&perPage=50

Some talking points about the LEO favoritism: why should police receive favoritism? remember the Waltham COP who beatr his wife, The worcester cop on bail for home invasion and A&B? The statie that drove drunk and whacked people? Just peruse the latest police misconduct.org for more examples.
I agree with you but if that's all we have to give up to get a comprehensive new law that's in our favor I wouldn't get to worked up about it.

So with Amendment 17, could I take the civil service exam, get hired with a local PD as an auxiliary or part timer to direct traffic, and badda bing badda boom new black rifle with fancy trimmings?

Can't be that simple.

according to the Globe we won. Rosenthal and the Mommies are having nervous breakdowns.
http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...olence-bill/6VnoPwQ5iXb8LRygiqVk0J/story.html

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with you but if that's all we have to give up to get a comprehensive new law that's in our favor I wouldn't get to worked up about it.

From the Globe:
Under pressure from gun rights groups including the National Rifle Association, state senators Thursday rejected a provision aimed at keeping rifles and shotguns out of the hands of dangerous people before approving a broad bill meant to reduce firearm violence.

F'ing REALLY ???? [angry]

So with Amendment 17, could I take the civil service exam, get hired with a local PD as an auxiliary or part timer to direct traffic, and badda bing badda boom new black rifle with fancy trimmings?

Can't be that simple.

Yes, it's the double secret probation agenda to create a total police state- everyone becomes a cop!

THIS. +1,000. I understand the frustration for different rules for those connected, but I think in this case we should put that emotion aside and realize that this can only benefit and doesn't actually hurt us.

From the Globe:
Under pressure from gun rights groups including the National Rifle Association, state senators Thursday rejected a provision aimed at keeping rifles and shotguns out of the hands of dangerous people before approving a broad bill meant to reduce firearm violence.

F'ing REALLY ???? [angry]

This doesn't help- they will be compelled to do more harm as a result of the media.

I see 17 as a way to crack open the AWB. If cops get this, then wouldn't that open up a lawsuit possibility? Cops are civies too. Why should only special civies be the exception? We're not talking about them getting FA and suppressors that the dept. may have, but the same guns that anyone can buy in just about any other state.

Just thinking outside the box, but hey, I'm just a tooth guy, not a law guy. [grin]

Edit. Too Funny. I didn't read the posts above, and it looks like some of us are on the same wavelength here. [grin]

Last edited:
Fox news reported at 9 AM that the Senate removed background checks from issuing FID cards. I called the assignment desk to correct them that it was CoP suitability that was removed. Maybe some others could call and correct them as well 781-467-1300

go here: https://malegislature.gov/Bills/188/Senate/S2265/Amendments?filter=Senate&pg=2&perPage=50

Some talking points about the LEO favoritism: why should police receive favoritism? remember the Waltham COP who beat his wife, The Worcester cop on bail for home invasion and A&B? The statie that drove drunk and whacked people? Just peruse the latest police misconduct.org for more examples.

none of us are arguing in support of LEO favoritism. the question is not whether we support LEO favoritism, but rather how can we get rid of LEO favoritism? if the moonbats are willing to take the favoritism a step further and put it directly into the MGL, we should be grateful to have them open up the entire AWB for higher review.

the solution to the problems in MA will never come from the MA legislature and almost never come from a MA court so we can forget about MA fixing our 2A infringements. if there are ever fixes, they will come from a federal court or possibly congress. therefore, ANYTHING the MA moonbats write that can provide a basis for a federal case should be welcomed.

Why would we want to take one the one thing that could HELP us repeal the AWB. And tell them up front this is what we have planned.

See the GOAL FB page for yesterday (pre-vote) where they say what the process is. If the House votes not to concur with the Senate bill, a Conference Committee is appointed, consisting of three reps and three senators. The Committee is supposed to be bipartisan and given the overwhelming Dem majority I assume there would be 2 Dems and 1 GOP from each chamber.

You didn't say this previously, you indicated it went directly to committee... the threads get bogged down and confusing with partial or incorrect information...

Last edited:
From the Globe article.
John M. Hohenwarter, governmental affairs director for Massachusetts for the NRA, spent much of the afternoon walking around the area outside the Senate chamber and talking with advocates and at least one legislator.

After the vote, he said he was “very pleased with what the Senate did today. The bill’s in much better shape than it was when it came over from the House.”

Jim Wallace, executive director of the Gun Owners’ Action League of Massachusetts, an NRA affiliate, also expressed pleasure with the bill, calling it history-making.

His group had been neutral on the House legislation, which included the disputed provision giving police chiefs added discretion of who gets a shotgun or rifle, but Thursday pressed hard to remove it.

Janet Goldenberg, one of the leaders of the Massachusetts Coalition to Prevent Gun Violence, said the group was “very disappointed” with the amendment stripping out the provision.

On a different note I received my renewed LTC yesterday from the Leominster PD. I'm good until 2020 and hopefully I'll be far away from the Peoples Republic.

Re: FID suitability

The amendment was likely defeated as a result of MA State Senators actually thinking for once. An important part of the amendment was a requirement that those denied be given the reason for denial in writing. This would be potentially beneficial to us in the long run and I think they saw that. Their killing of the amendment was to help them, not us. I'm sure this was discussed in depth during the numerous recesses.

I seriously doubt it won't be accepted by the House, now that the Reps have had time to digest the possible ramifications. Yes, I realize it could be stripped of the "in writing" provision, but that would open the state to federal lawsuits just as easily as the original would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom