• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I think I am done with S&W

roccoracer

NES Member
I have been a huge fan of the current S&W handguns for a while. Well today I had to ship my shield .40 back to them because the brass was bulging by the case head. And not 2 hours after dropping that off at fedex my bodyguard broke again. Now my two primary carry guns are crap and I have to rely on other pistols. I am down to my Remington 1911 a Ruger LCR and a M&P .45 full size. I should not have to return nearly every S&W pistol I own for repair.
Here are the pics of the problems.
7aqu9uqe.jpg
evetazej.jpg
a4e8aba8.jpg
y5ajeqys.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I am not a big S&W fan due to recent QC and CS problems. In this case, however, I think, maybe, S&W is not at fault. The pictures look to me like an ammo problem, i.e. a hot load.

I'm not overly impressed with the feel of thier polymer guns. I have not fired one, but they seem cheaply made and while I sell them a lot, I do hear of people with problems with them more often. The bodyguard is one that I sell a ton of ( I usually try to talk people into a p238 instead) and it's also the gun that comes back in on consignment the most.
I admit, and am fully aware, that I am irrationally biased against polymer guns in general.

With a life time warrenty what's the problem, at least they will cover the repair. Personally I have had zero issues with my a S&W guns. I'm not a fan of plastic guns eaither. The only reliable plastic gun I ever owned was my nylon 66

I just sent my 642 in for repair and I had it back within two weeks. I'm loving smith right now. I hope you find a resolution.

I am not a big S&W fan due to recent QC and CS problems. In this case, however, I think, maybe, S&W is not at fault. The pictures look to me like an ammo problem, i.e. a hot load.

Every piece of brass I have fired had some bulging. I first noticed it with the nickle case and than went back and looked at all the other cases I have fired.

It's tough to say for sure from the pics, but the brass doesn't look that bad. Have you measured the bulge with calipers?

It's tough to say for sure from the pics, but the brass doesn't look that bad. Have you measured the bulge with calipers?

It is bad enough that when I noticed it I immediately took the pistol "out of service". I have been shooting most of my life and have not seen brass do this. This was commercial ammo, Hornady critical duty. If I am wrong I will feel like an ass.

Every piece of brass I have fired had some bulging. I first noticed it with the nickle case and than went back and looked at all the other cases I have fired.

So you only recently began to pay attention?

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

It became progressively worse and very noticeable with the nickle.
Do you examine every piece of brass every time you shoot?

There are threads over on the S&W Forum on this bulge problem with the .40 Shield. I think that they blamed it on the +P ammo being shot and that it wasn't a real issue. Check the owners manual and see what it says about shooting +P ammo on a regular basis. The .40 Shield has had issues, that's for sure.

On the other hand, I have a Shield in 9MM and about 1500 trouble free rounds through it.

Does the shield fully support the case? Is that the issue (design), or is the problem just with this particular gun?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

I've never been a big fan of S&W's semi auto lines. Seemed to me they were always lacking compared to other manufacturers that had been building them for years. On the other hand, you cannot beat a S&W revolver. Best on the market in my mind and yes, I have shot many different revolvers other then S&W.

It became progressively worse and very noticeable with the nickle.
Do you examine every piece of brass every time you shoot?

Yes. I reload.

I've never been a big fan of S&W's semi auto lines. Seemed to me they were always lacking compared to other manufacturers that had been building them for years. On the other hand, you cannot beat a S&W revolver. Best on the market in my mind and yes, I have shot many different revolvers other then S&W.

This big time!

I've put a bunch of the critical duty ammo through my shield and haven't had any bulging on the cases. sucks that you're having the issue, hopefully, when they replace the barrel (which appears to be the standard response to this), it'll be better.

This. The 40 S&W is a pretty hot cartridge. If I bought SD ammo I would want it to be on the warm side of things.

Go look at other folks pistol brass at the range sometime. You might be surprised...

I've had 2 S&W pistols in my life. Both have failed me. One I sold and the other went back to S&W 3 times and it's still not quite right. That gun was brand new right out of the box. When I got it back from S&W the third time they had really fired up the foam inside the pistol case too. Was all torn up...

Contrary - I have had a few Sigs and Glocks. None have let me down. Have a 92FS too. Same story. Just works like its supposed to. Same with my Kahr. No complaints. I feel your pain man. You can read about my adventures here.

I hear you man - I'm done with the brand to.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom