I think they're ripping us off!

I did not read every post in the thread, but...
Has anyone suggested that the LGS guy just screwed up? I see it all the time with small businesses. Often times, small business owners just don't understand their true costs, or don't factor in things like freight. I sometimes even see it with larger companies. Someone just goofed.
Guy buys a pallet of ammo for $10 per box. Sells it for $14. Doesn't factor in the $2 per box for freight.
Big companies get much better freight rates of even have their own trucks, but typically have much higher overhead. I would expect to pay a lot more at Cabellas.

I always believed that Capitalism wasn't fair and the Gov't should do something about it.
the beauty of capitalism is you get that choice where to spend your money. i just want to ask, though, did anyone really think the shipping was free on case lots?

ammo isn't the only consumable that varies in price by retailer.

Has anyone suggested that the LGS guy just screwed up? I see it all the time with small businesses. Often times, small business owners just don't understand their true costs, or don't factor in things like freight. I sometimes even see it with larger companies. Someone just goofed.
Guy buys a pallet of ammo for $10 per box. Sells it for $14. Doesn't factor in the $2 per box for freight.
Big companies get much better freight rates of even have their own trucks, but typically have much higher overhead. I would expect to pay a lot more at Cabellas.

no he did not screw up. As I said he sells it for his normal profit.

Is it ripping the buyer off when you sell your house at market instead of at a fair markup based on how long you have owned the property? If not, why is any price a shop sells a non-mandatory item for "ripping off the customer"?

Last edited:
LGS guy probably just didn't care. It's possible that case was committed to at an old price, too.

Be a smart consumer, if you want something that is not available and willing to pay above retail price go for it. I payed big money to buy a Colt Defender when they came out and have no regrets.

when i had my ffl, and it was quite a while ago, you made no money on the gun sale. the peripheral add ons were your money makers...ammo, holsters, reloading components & cleaning equipment. the original sale item, the firearm, needed to be competitively priced to snag the customer. i really find if unbelievable...if a shop had a distributor cut him a super price on a highly desirable and scarce commodity such as 9 mm ammo and he can undercut other retailers by 6 bucks/box rather than do what every other retail establishment is doing, taking advantage of the current situation and marking up the price, this guy is the worst businessman ever or should be elevated to sainthood in the church of the skinflint.
Or that "cheap" price on the 20 boxes might turn out to be a great marketing investment.

Did the OP mention the shop?

I was at my LGS yesterday and he told me he has a small order ( 20 boxes only) Sellier& Bellott 9mm 124 coming in.

Just 15 minutes ago I was on Target Sports and there was the same ammo. It was there for about 30 seconds before it sold out. It was $19.99 a box

back to my LGS and I said how much is the ammo going to be?
$14 a box! I said, you're paying $14 a box? He said, no, I'm selling it for $14 a box! So, WTF? .....over
If it sold out in 30 seconds nobody is getting ripped off and in fact the price was probably too low. If you think that's the case you don't understand what a capitalist free market is.....and you should educate yourself.

What do you mean who is ripping off who? Also what is going to happen if the price is going to vary depending on the chain and where they're getting it from for all you know the LGs is getting an order based on a price that was promised months ago so his pricing is based off what he committed/paid back then not what is relevant now.... also nearly everybody that selling ammo I don't care who it is is patting a buck or two extra on the side...

Also the other thing you guys seem to forget is that you're not actually getting ripped off unless you actually pay the shit price. If the price is too expensive for you then don't buy it, it's that simple. The best way to influence market economics is to not buy something.
I'm still trying to figure out how a supply that sold out in 30 seconds is considered a rip off price. 🙄

I get it guys! I understand if some one will pay, they'll keep the prices up. MY POINT was my little guy LGS got the same ammo coming that TGUSA got and is selling at his regular price of $14 a box rather than $20 - $25 a box that everyone else is charging. I always believed that Capitalism wasn't fair and the Gov't should do something about it.
I hope that last sentence is a joke.

At the risk of inserting facts into an emotional debate...
An angle I didn't see you cover is the allegation I've heard that ammo distributors
give volume discounts or preferred availability to their best customers.

I've been told that even amongst LGS's,
in troubled times the bigger ones
get first whack at new factory shipments,
or pay less for product.

And of course a big box store with an established account
gets even better treatment.

Am I the only one here who is hearing, "From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs." in some of these posts?
Well, some posts may exhibit a certain sense of entitlement...
consumers who feel entitled to purchase the amount of ammo they want at the price they want.

An angle I didn't see you cover is the allegation I've heard that ammo distributors
give volume discounts or preferred availability to their best customers.
The term "allegation" is replete with unflattering innuendo. It is normal business practice to take care of your best customers first, and there is nothing wrong with that. I suspect there are some people on NES who have a "better than average walkin customer" relationship with their dealer. These would be the folks that stick with one dealer and don't chase the last time on every purchase.

Last edited:
The term "allegation" is replete with unflattering innuendo. It is normal business practice to take care of your best customers first, and there is nothing wrong with that. I suspect there are some people on NES who have "better than average walking customer" relationship with their dealer. These would be the folks that stick with one dealer and don't chase the last time on every purchase.
You've misread my connotation.

I thought I recalled a well-know Merrimack Valley LGS owner
telling me that ammo distributors have volume pricing bands
(and not every LGS can manage enough turnover to qualify for
the best prices).
Also that the smaller retailers get longer lead times in times of
extraordinary demand.

But I can't swear he said that, so I was hedging my claim.

I also presume that volume pricing plans reward stores
who have a steady, predictable order history instead of one
ginormous bulk shipment every few years.

Plenty of retail FFLs on NES could refute/endorse the above.

Back
Top Bottom