• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I'm in the Twilight Zone, and it's AWESOME

ochmude

Marine Veteran
I'm currently in Arizona for work. Due to jet lag, I woke up at 3am, so I've just been flipping through channels passing time. I was just watching the local news and browsing NES when I heard the words "auction" and "shotgun". I started paying attention and saw the anchor with some old ladies representing a local charity. They were talking about how they're holding an auction to raise money and will have several Remmington shotguns up for auction. Neither the old ladies nor the news anchor seemed to think this was unusual. So, in Arizona, charities auction guns to raise money for food pantries. I think I'm in love. Best part, in about 5 months I'll be calling this city (Yuma) home. What's an FA-10 [wink][smile]?

Oh the horror! [shocked]

Enjoy it, hows the heat out there right now?

It was 119 when I got off the plane. It's hot, no doubt about it, but the complete lack of any humidity really helps. If you've never felt temps that high, though, it would be tough to deal with. Honestly, as I looked around from the hotel walkway yesterday, I was really hit by a sense of deja vu from being in Iraq. Hot, dry, lots of the color brown, none of the color green, lots of Marines (MCAS Yuma is about a mile away).

Best wishes for you in your hot but dry new desert home! Hope you'll keep in touch with those of us "behind the wall"!

Well, I lived in Yuma, graduated from high school there (Kofa), left in 1966 and probably went back maybe five times (the most recent being thirty years ago). My parents moved away soon after I graduated. If you can deal with the summers in Yuma, then you are a true Yuman and I am glad that you found your place in the sun. You are a nice guy and if that is to your liking, then I wish you all the best. Make sure you go over to the California side and visit the sand dunes. You probably have already been to the old Territorial Prison historical site. (They used to have a Gatling Gun on display there). Yuma used to have one of the biggest and best gun shows in the Southwest in the Jan-Feb timeframe, I hope that they still do, and of course there is the rodeo and rodeo parade (down 4th Ave) in the same time-frame. I'm pretty sure they still have that.

One of the best Mexican restaurants that I ever ate in was at Cretin's which used to be down in the valley, but I guess they have moved. Start your meal with a huge tostada de harina and a pitcher of 'ritas. Their chile verde used to be some of the best around.

I may return to Yuma one day, perhaps for my 50th HS Reunion (assuming they have one). I was glad to leave, Yuma is either one of those places you hate or love, and I never liked and still do not like hot weather regardless of the humidity level. I'm glad it is to your liking.

The only other thing I can say is watch out for the snowbirds. These geezers come down mainly from the upper mid-west in the winter and swell the population up. They are an impediment to traffic safety and on a good day might even drive 15 mph in a 25 mph zone.

Congrats, have fun and enjoy the gun culture and some of the nuttiness that is associated with Arizona in general [thumbsup]

It was 119 when I got off the plane. It's hot, no doubt about it, but the complete lack of any humidity really helps. If you've never felt temps that high, though, it would be tough to deal with. Honestly, as I looked around from the hotel walkway yesterday, I was really hit by a sense of deja vu from being in Iraq. Hot, dry, lots of the color brown, none of the color green, lots of Marines (MCAS Yuma is about a mile away).

Don't worry, the desert gets old after a while. Even when you have a kick ass job.

Don't worry, the desert gets old after a while. Even when you have a kick ass job.

No way it gets old. When I lived in Tucson all you had to do is take an hour drive up MT Lemon and it's like Vermont, skiing and everything ( in winter). Summer temps about 70. Or go swimming at Seven falls and freeze to death from the mountain spring water. I loved living their.

No way it gets old. When I lived in Tucson all you had to do is take an hour drive up MT Lemon and it's like Vermont, skiing and everything ( in winter). Summer temps about 70. Or go swimming at Seven falls and freeze to death from the mountain spring water. I loved living their.

But you moved away ;)

For you, the desert doesn't get old, for me it does, to each their own. I lived in Tucson for about 9 years and I don't think Mt. Lemon is like Vermont at all, although it is very scenic if you enjoy that kind of western grandeur. It reminds me more of Colorado.

The last time I was in Tucson was in 2007. My brother and mother still live there. It has really changed a lot over the years.

I'm glad a you enjoyed living there. I didn't which is why I ended up on the East Coast. Remember too, that when I first came here to Mass the gun laws were bad in Mass but they didn't suck the way they do now.

Last edited:
Well, I lived in Yuma, graduated from high school there (Kofa), left in 1966 and probably went back maybe five times (the most recent being thirty years ago). My parents moved away soon after I graduated. If you can deal with the summers in Yuma, then you are a true Yuman and I am glad that you found your place in the sun. You are a nice guy and if that is to your liking, then I wish you all the best. Make sure you go over to the California side and visit the sand dunes. You probably have already been to the old Territorial Prison historical site. (They used to have a Gatling Gun on display there). Yuma used to have one of the biggest and best gun shows in the Southwest in the Jan-Feb timeframe, I hope that they still do, and of course there is the rodeo and rodeo parade (down 4th Ave) in the same time-frame. I'm pretty sure they still have that.

One of the best Mexican restaurants that I ever ate in was at Cretin's which used to be down in the valley, but I guess they have moved. Start your meal with a huge tostada de harina and a pitcher of 'ritas. Their chile verde used to be some of the best around.

I may return to Yuma one day, perhaps for my 50th HS Reunion (assuming they have one). I was glad to leave, Yuma is either one of those places you hate or love, and I never liked and still do not like hot weather regardless of the humidity level. I'm glad it is to your liking.

The only other thing I can say is watch out for the snowbirds. These geezers come down mainly from the upper mid-west in the winter and swell the population up. They are an impediment to traffic safety and on a good day might even drive 15 mph in a 25 mph zone.

Congrats, have fun and enjoy the gun culture and some of the nuttiness that is associated with Arizona in general [thumbsup]

Thanks. Cretin's is still around. I saw an ad for it in the hotel info book. If you're ever back in the area you'll have to visit. It would be great to meet you.

Perhaps, but I doubt it. I like the desert. If I never see snow again I will die a happy man. I don't even have the A/C on right now in the hotel room.

Back
Top Bottom