Interesting article on how Cops should treat armed citizens written by a Cop.

The best advice I would offer to someone new to CCW would be to dress accordingly and carry an easily concealable gun. The last thing you want to deal with is a cop asking about the buldge on your side while he has his holster unsnapped and his gun half drawn. Don't get made. BTW those CC badges will just get you in trouble. Don't do it.

I think the article writer was pretty balanced and trying to be informative.

On the other hand a few of the comments are disturbing. Some of them are of
the "guilty until proven innocent" variety.

-Mike

The best advice I would offer to someone new to CCW would be to dress accordingly and carry an easily concealable gun. The last thing you want to deal with is a cop asking about the buldge on your side while he has his holster unsnapped and his gun half drawn. Don't get made. BTW those CC badges will just get you in trouble. Don't do it.

It was more or less an academic question. I'll be in WA in October and never again in my life travel, much less live, in a non-free state. I've had enough of the wacko leftist nonsense of the NE to last me several lifetimes.

Here in WA, even if you get made it's no big thing. Frankly the cops don't much care. If you look like a banger they'll ask to see your permit and that's about it unless you look threatening.

Alright. I reread the article, specifically trying to view it without any bias...

My only two points of contention are that at one point he states that there are differing legal requirements for CCW's to announce such from place to place, and in the next paragraph he says that not declaring such is a mistake.

And, the point where he says "when you've found one gun, don't stop looking". All fine and dandy, but I don't like the idea that cops feel they need to know whether I'm carrying or not, unless I've given them reason to need to know.

All in all, I'll agree, he's one of the good guys, and very pro CCW.

Cops are trained from the beginning of their carreers to expect that everyone they come in contact with is going to try and kill them. It sucks when you are minding your own business and get treated like a crip, but I guess it makes sense from a street cop's point of view. If you are involved in any kind of situation that the police respond to, expect to get treated like a suspect until the responding officers figure out whats going on.

I have trained myself to pay attention to details and I see people carrying every day. They think that they have "concealed" weapons, but if you know what to look for, very few actually manage to pull it off. The guys carrying pocket .380s and small subcompacts can get away with it, but you guys that carry the 1911 everywhere and think that you are dressing to conceal are not fooling anyone that is actually looking. :)

My only two points of contention are that at one point he states that there are differing legal requirements for CCW's to announce such from place to place, and in the next paragraph he says that not declaring such is a mistake.

Please quote as I am confused by what you are saying. I may have been looking in the wrong spot.

And, the point where he says "when you've found one gun, don't stop looking". All fine and dandy, but I don't like the idea that cops feel they need to know whether I'm carrying or not, unless I've given them reason to need to know.

What is the big deal? It is no different than trying to figure out if a woman who walks by is wearing any underwear............. tell me you have a problem with that....
[laugh]

You know, I've been wanting to say this for a while, but I haven't because it'll cause a real firestorm, and it will certainly not be understood in the context in which it's presented, but anyways...

This idea that "I'm going to act in such a way so that I'm guaranteed to go home tonight" is one of the attitudes that leads to such excesses in the performance of police duties.

I'm going to apologize in advance for ruffling the feathers of some police officers here, but what makes your life more valuable than mine? You already have more personal protective equipment available (and sometimes mandated) to be worn while you are on duty than does anyone whom you encounter; you've got the advantage of "the law" giving plenty of weight to your shield; you've got the advantage (in this state) of being the only one around who has their firearm openly holstered (and thus, far more readily available than is mine); you've got brother officers only a radio call away; and yet you still insist on being so preemptive that accidents happen, with sometimes tragic results...

In an encounter with a police officer, there shouldn't ever be a reason to disarm me unless I'm being arrested. Obviously, there are are circumstances where deadly force is required, as in where the bad guy points his firearm at an officer. But to consider disarming someone at a traffic stop where I'm guilty of nothing more than speeding or an equipment malfunction is certainly excessive.

I applaud those police officers who appreciate armed citizens, and those who don't abuse their authority. I know that there are many officers who have died in the line of duty. My thoughts and prayers go out to their families. But they accepted that risk when they volunteered for the training, and again each day that they wear the uniform. Just as the coal miner knows that he accepts heightened risks when he puts his miner's lamp onto his helmet; as the race car driver knows the dangers he faces when he tightens up the straps in his car; as the iron worker knows the risk of walking iron 30 stories above the ground; and as the firefighter knows how dangerous it could be every time those tones sound, the police officer accepts the risks he faces as another part of the job.

I could never be a police officer. I just couldn't deal with that stress on a daily basis, and I have great respect for those who choose that profession. But please don't tilt the scales so far toward your side of the table that you increase the risks to the civilians around you.

We know that sometimes people drive while drunk. It happens far too frequently. But does anyone really think that adding another light bar to your cruiser will keep the drunk from hitting you? Oh, and let's brighten them up by another hundred lumens, too. What, sober drivers are complaining that the lights endanger them because they are blinded by the flashes? Yeah, but "I want to increase my odds of going home tonight."

OK, I chose a petty example there; I could have talked about the old lady tasered in bed, or the armed civilian killed recently in NV (I know, the case is still pending, and all of the facts aren't known yet), or of other cases where properly-armed citizens have been improperly disarmed. I just dislike the excesses in the name of "safely getting home."

I know something of sacrifice. I have, in some small way, accepted some risks of my own. Soldiers swear a similar oath to that of police officers, and prepare to accept those same risks of injury, loss of function, or the sacrifice of life. Nobody twisted my left arm behind my back as I raised my right hand and swore to "support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestic..." The risk is part of the job... And if someday, I'm called to do something sacrificial in my defense, in the defense or in aid of my fellow Soldiers, or in the defense of someone unable to defend themselves, I only hope to do so in the brave manner exemplified by all those who have preceded me. I don't ask for pity, or for mercy, or even for easing the hardships.

... and I don't ask that the deck be stacked entirely in my favor. You see, I KNOW that I might not get home... and I am prepared for that.

You know as one of the LEO's here, my feather's didn't ruffle too much by what you said, though I do differ on a couple points, but what I see as my biggest "concern" is your last line
...and I don't ask that the deck be stacked entirely in my favor. You see, I KNOW that I might not get home... and I am prepared for that.
Why the "f" wouldn't you want the deck stacked in your favor? Just plain seems like a "defeatist" (sp?) attitude about being OK with not returning "home"...maybe you didn't mean it the way I read it, but I read it like "we are all winners as long as we try" which is great for my 6 year old playing T-ball, not so great an attitude when people are shooting at you...
But seriously whether as a LEO, soldier, or CCW'er why wouldn't you want every "edge" you can get? Best training, equipment, intel, etc. And perhaps I will ruffle feathers with this, but as a LEO firearms instructor I don't "teach" how to survive a gun fight, surviving means wheel chair and feeding tubes, I do my best to provide instruction so my officers will WIN a gun fight should they be so unlucky to end up in one. I sure as hell don't want them patroling with an "if I don't make it home tonight thats OK" attitude (and honestly I don't think anyone in any "profession" should be that OK with it...)
just my 2 cents...

You know as one of the LEO's here, my feather's didn't ruffle too much by what you said, though I do differ on a couple points, but what I see as my biggest "concern" is your last line

Why the "f" wouldn't you want the deck stacked in your favor? Just plain seems like a "defeatist" (sp?) attitude about being OK with not returning "home"...maybe you didn't mean it the way I read it, but I read it like "we are all winners as long as we try" which is great for my 6 year old playing T-ball, not so great an attitude when people are shooting at you...
But seriously whether as a LEO, soldier, or CCW'er why wouldn't you want every "edge" you can get? Best training, equipment, intel, etc. And perhaps I will ruffle feathers with this, but as a LEO firearms instructor I don't "teach" how to survive a gun fight, surviving means wheel chair and feeding tubes, I do my best to provide instruction so my officers will WIN a gun fight should they be so unlucky to end up in one. I sure as hell don't want them patroling with an "if I don't make it home tonight thats OK" attitude (and honestly I don't think anyone in any "profession" should be that OK with it...)
just my 2 cents...

You missed his point.

just my 2 cents...

It's not so much a fatalism or defeatist attitude as it is advocating for a little less of the over-the-top attitude.. the attitude that "I'm the only alpha-dog allowed' here... "I need to be in control'... "I'm the only one who should be armed here."

Yes, I agree with you: once the encounter has escalated into open opposition, I EXPECT that the training of the police officer will provide for a "fight-to-win" scenario, just as it is for Soldiers. We also believe in over-whelming force when necessary.

I'd just ask that that response be saved for those encounters where it is necessary, and not employed in the far-more-typical interactions between the police and the population.

I know that reducing the controlling attitude may prove to be more dangerous to the officers involved, as there are truly evil people out there, but this is where acceptance that your job is as dangerous as is a firefighter's, a Marine's, or a miner's is necessary.

Freedom and control are the opposite ends of the spectrum. Maybe freedom-lovers and the police are always destined to be antoganists... maybe I'm hoping that the police more readily recognize that freedom is vital, but that allowing the populace to exercise their freedoms increases the necessity to remember that the exercise of freedom sometimes requires sacrifice.

I agree with RichM that police know what they are getting into and should accept that they chose a dangerous profession. I don't think there are that many LEOs out there that feel they should be the only ones armed either. Every one that I know is very pro 2A for everyone except convicted felons. Yes, I know that is a sticky subject here. I think the main point of the article was put across the wrong way. The writer told everyone how to identify someone that might be carrying lawfully, but he failed to explain WHY a LEO would need that info in the first place. The only reason I can really think of is maybe he was assuming that the hypothetical officer saw that someone was carrying a concealed weapon and now was explaining some things to look for to determine if the carrier is legal or a thug gangbanger.

The law as written allows an officer to pat frisk a person on "reasonable suspicion" that they might be armed during a traffic stop an investigative detention. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_v._Ohio Ever been walking down the street and had a cop pull up and ask for your ID card and question you about your business? Thats an investigative detention. I have had it happen to me numerous times over the years. Yes, it sucks to be on the recieving end of it, but its legal. Maybe the article writer was trying to help the hypothetical officer build reasonal suspicion for a pat frisk? Seems pointless to me if the guy is licensed to carry. Unless the guy with the CCW was actually commiting a crime (not speeding) I can see no need to disarm him.

All in all, a very pointless and inflammitory article that does little besides stir the pot and make cops look like @holes.

just my 2 cents...

That's like saying firefighters should never go into the building, since if they stay outside, they'll definitely be going home that night.

I think the main point of the article was put across the wrong way. The writer told everyone how to identify someone that might be carrying lawfully, but he failed to explain WHY a LEO would need that info in the first place.

The article was written for LEO's in a LEO publication......... he did not need to explain it. A LEO knows why it helps.

Ok, I am assuming from the tone of your post that you are an LEO. Care to explain how the article helps you in the course of your duties? I didn't think so.

Same way as it helps me, who is not a LEO, looking for cues that other people are carrying. Helps me get more information about the current lay of the land, and helps me be more prepared. Always better the be cautious and gather as much information about you're surroundings and current situation as you can, then get caught up unprepared.

as another thought, how would you rather have a LEO react if he notices your CCW on a traffic stop... Having already noticed your mannerism and determined you're most likely a Legal CCW holder, or going "HOLY SHIT HE HAS A GUN!"

Last edited:
This is a reprint of an old article. The below line is my favorite.

I don’t know of any CCW carriers that carry a gun in the hood of their sweatshirt like felons are known to do.

Who says LTC holders can't be inventive? [wink]

One big unanswered and oft-debated question. Lacking state or local law which mandates informling an officer that you are carrying, what do you do?

Some MA SP might start spouting off all sorts of "made-up laws", implying that CCW may not be legal or carrying wherever may not be legal (this was done to me many years ago), etc.

I recently posted about this in another thread. If you're dealing with the state police in MA, there is a law that requires you to surrender guns and ammo for inspection.

Failure to allow inspection of hunting equipment/ammo

MGL 131-88 says:

The penalty is found in MGL 131-90, which says in part:

I checked, no other penalty is specified in MGL 131-90, hence this penalty. The 30 days in jail is petty, but still, a conviction for this will trigger the LTC lifetime DQ.

There's also a tidbit in here that would appear to apply to anyone whether or not they were hunting. Read this law carefully; if any state police in their jurisdiction reasonably believe that you're in possession of unlawful equipment or ammunition, they can demand to inspect it and arrest you if you refuse.

When most people hear "state police" they think of MSP Troopers, but MGL Chapter 22C Section 50 to 68 includes special state police powers for hospitals, universities, colleges, railroad corporations, humane society/association members, Boston Port Authority, Mass Turnpike Authority, state lottery commission employees, and many others. Many of these groups have jurisdictions that aren't anywhere near hunting, fishing or trapping areas, but they still have this authority under the law.

Many gun owners know that the last paragraph of MGL 140-129C requires an LTC or FID holder to display their license on demand to the police when they're not on private property. That law does not require that you turn over your guns and ammo for inspection, just the license, so many people may not be aware of this.

Like all of the rest, a conviction for a violation of this will result in losing your Mass. LTC for life, and no, I can't find a single piece of case law on it.

Notice the loooong list of "state police."

He did use the term "half cocked" in the article by the way.

"...crotch of their pants at knee height or wear their baseball hat cocked at a ridiculous angle."

Hat cocked = half cocked? [laugh] [wink]

Why is it important to know who is in the subcategory of "good with guns" vs just "good"?

Keep in mind, this article was written with a specific audience in mind. If I'm posting on NES, I might use a term like "GI 1911," instead of spelling out "Colt M1911A1 pistol, chambered in .45 ACP, designed by John Moses Browning, single stack magazine and a 5 inch barrel." The author left out the specifics because the people he wrote it for know them already.

Cops need to pay attention to everyone who has guns, no matter why they have them. If you're carrying via LTC and you get suckerpunched your pistol might go sliding across the floor, or you might be angry enough to wave your gun in the face of your cheating wife caught kissing her boyfriend. Officer safety doesn't mean you ignore what's legal, it means that you pay attention to everything, because situations are 100% fluid.

People are getting confused because he blends "tips on noticing the good guys" with "tips on being safe." It's about perspective; most gun carrying folks only see one focus to the story, when in fact there are many more issues being addressed.

But what concerns me is that he also seems to say that a LEO should always be trying to locate who is lawfully carrying a firearm on them. Even while observing normal foot traffic they should always be attempting to ascertain who is carrying. I took it as that is why he provided such a long description of what they look like and how they act.

What I'm getting at is after reading the essay, I think that the author does in fact believe that those that carry are somewhat of a threat even though he starts out by saying the contrary.

Not that they are, but they can be. In the same way that someone carrying in Vermont without a permit doesn't make them a criminal, someone carrying with a permit in a state that requires an LTC doesn't make them a good guy. It also doesn't mean that they'll know what they're doing, that they won't lose their cool, that they won't break other laws, or they won't have their gun thrown in the mix when they get their arse handed to them in a violent encounter.

People stress on this forum all the time that a gun is a tool absent intent, right? Same logic applies here, but from a different angle. Recognize the tools even if they're not being used. In a 100% peaceful situation a lawfully carried gun doesn't mean anything. But situations can get out of control very fast, so recognizing the players will help make split second decisions, like what happened in the aftermath of the Trooper Mark Coates shooting, where an LTC holder with a drawn gun came to render aid and was crouched over the trooper's body when backup arrived. It's about the totality of the circumstances, what a reasonable person would believe, and sorting out the correct form of action faster than the bad guy's speeding bullet.

Noticing the little things matters.

I guess the thing that bothers me the most is that most cops (IME) know less about the world of guns, both in practical application and in theory (Law) than the average armed civilian. As a result, it irritates me to have any cop come off as if they have the moral or legal high ground in being armed, and that somehow I'm potentially any more dangerous to their safety than they are to mine.

I guess the base if my qualm is that it seems that many LEO's function under the impression that they are the only ones that really should have guns, and that somehow an armed civilian is a "second class" gun carrier, to be tolerated at best, harassed at worst.

ETA: Even the title of the article is part of what I'm getting at... "Dealing with..." As if we're a problem they have to cope with.

In most situations, they are dealing with a problem when a firearm is discovered. How often do people call 911 to report seeing a guy dressed like he's lawfully concealing a firearm?

He's pointing out that while the majority of guns that they'll come across are problem guns being used for something bad, there are good guys carrying out there. Some cops will get warped in a Pavlovian way...when every time you see a gun it's in the middle of a bad situation, your body will respond accordingly, and you may well freak out on someone doing nothing wrong when you see another gun. He's gently correcting and guiding people to remind them that 99% of what they see does not equal 99% of what the world is, while simultaneously encouraging them to stay safe and not disregard street survival skills.

That's a preference thing most likely. Look at NES, some people will always notify, others never notify, some do it based on circumstances. He thinks you should always tell him...just his opinion.

That's in reference to a felony, prone-'em-out-and-search-'em stop, more confusion due to his blend of "courtesy/safety" in the article. A couple years ago, a cop responded to a fully involved domestic, the male half was acting funny and had a big bulge in his pocket; the cop searched him (because of the DV arrest) and found massive bag of drugs and money in that pocket. He stopped the search, probably thinking "Shucks, that's why he was so nervous," and later he noticed the guy squirming around in the back seat of the cruiser during transport. After booking him, he went back out to the cruiser and found the pocket pistol that he'd missed in the pat down. That same week, a cop in Texas was shot and killed by a handcuffed suspect in the back seat of his cruiser, with a pocket pistol that he missed in his search. It took a few hours to find his body, the cruiser off on the side of the road with the suspect and his pistol still locked in the backseat...it smacks of the fable of the scorpion and the frog, really.

Countless cops and corrections officers have been shot by guns they missed in the search. Yes, violent criminals carry BUG's too.

Check out the video found at this link where a large .45 was missed in several searches:

Warning, very graphic.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/gruesome/interrogate.asp

I'm going to apologize in advance for ruffling the feathers of some police officers here, but what makes your life more valuable than mine? You already have more personal protective equipment available (and sometimes mandated) to be worn while you are on duty than does anyone whom you encounter; you've got the advantage of "the law" giving plenty of weight to your shield; you've got the advantage (in this state) of being the only one around who has their firearm openly holstered (and thus, far more readily available than is mine); you've got brother officers only a radio call away; and yet you still insist on being so preemptive that accidents happen, with sometimes tragic results...

The bolded part isn't even slightly true. Ceres shootout? Kehoe brothers? North Hollywood? How about the ones that don't make the news that happen on a regular basis?

How about Frank Denzinger? Did he encounter anyone better armed than himself on his shift?

Denzinger13.jpg

Denzinger03-425x600.jpg

That second picture of him and his daughter has stuck with me since I first heard of his death in 2007, when he was murdered by an angry teen with a perfectly legal Garand. Err, sorry...a 1900's era .30-06 military issue rifle.

In an encounter with a police officer, there shouldn't ever be a reason to disarm me unless I'm being arrested.

What about investigative detention? What if you're purple & screaming your wife, or talking in gibberish while drooling, or muttering "I can't go to jail" and freaking out in the driver's seat while scrambling around with your hands?

What situations have you encountered, or witnessed, that have helped you form this conclusion? I'm not trying to come at you too hard, just pointing out that different vantage points lead to different views.

We know that sometimes people drive while drunk. It happens far too frequently. But does anyone really think that adding another light bar to your cruiser will keep the drunk from hitting you? Oh, and let's brighten them up by another hundred lumens, too. What, sober drivers are complaining that the lights endanger them because they are blinded by the flashes? Yeah, but "I want to increase my odds of going home tonight."

More cops are killed and injured in the US by cars then are by guns. Maybe if the lights are really bright people will look away from the car rather than stragiht at it, to avoid that whole steering towards wherever your eyes are looking phenomenon.

OK, I chose a petty example there; I could have talked about the old lady tasered in bed, or the armed civilian killed recently in NV (I know, the case is still pending, and all of the facts aren't known yet), or of other cases where properly-armed citizens have been improperly disarmed.

Inerestingly the less petty examples are things you learned from incomplete news stories that only get a follow up article when it was something awful, but are allowed to fade out when it turns out everything was on the up and up. Why do we trust the media to report accurately on LE events, but we are shocked when a story involving a law abiding citizen with a gun makes mainstream news?

I just dislike the excesses in the name of "safely getting home."

So does everyone else.

I don't "teach" how to survive a gun fight, surviving means wheel chair and feeding tubes, I do my best to provide instruction so my officers will WIN a gun fight should they be so unlucky to end up in one.

+1

That's like saying firefighters should never go into the building, since if they stay outside, they'll definitely be going home that night.

Ummm...No...Its like saying firefighters shouldn't go into a fire barefoot, in shorts and a T-shirt with a dixie cup of water...Ok maybe thats an exageration, but I don't know enough about "fire science" to make a realistic comparison...But really yes in my opinion a firefighter should not go into a building today without the most up to date training and equipment they can have...

but as a LEO firearms instructor I don't "teach" how to survive a gun fight, surviving means wheel chair and feeding tubes, I do my best to provide instruction so my officers will WIN a gun fight should they be so unlucky to end up in one.
There are no "winners" in a gun fight, but there are losers. You may go home unharmed, you may end up in the hospital, or you may end up in the bag. But even if you go home unharmed, you don't "win," -- you're in for a world of crap. It's a lot better than losing, but you're still in a for a world of crap.

More cops are killed and injured in the US by cars then are by guns. Maybe if the lights are really bright people will look away from the car rather than stragiht at it, to avoid that whole steering towards wherever your eyes are looking phenomenon.
I have to say that the whole police "my lights need to be even brighter!!!!" thing seems somewhat counterproductive at times. Not too long ago, I was driving at night passing a Statie on the side of the road on a traffic stop. His lights were so @#$! bright that they made it hard for me to see where I was going. Blinding motorists with your lights isn't going to make you safer.

Last edited:
There are no "winners" in a gun fight, but there are losers. You may go home unharmed, you may end up in the hospital, or you may end up in the bag. But even if you go home unharmed, you don't "win," -- you're in for a world of crap. It's a lot better than losing, but you're still in a for a world of crap.
Really? What percent of police shootings end up in negative action against the cop?

What percentage of civilian defensive shootings end up in prison time or loss of civil suit?

Massachussets is not the rest of the US. Whatever real or perceived chances of ending up in the shit over winning a gunfight in MA are not applicable to pretty much the rest of the US.

What? Where do you get that from his post.

securityboy was refuting RichM's assertion that, instead of doing whatever it takes to get home at the end of the day, police officers should realize, and accept, the fact that it's a dangerous job they do, and occasionally, doing the job requires not going home at the end of the day.

My point was, firefighting is much the same. Sometimes, the job requires not going home at the end of your shift. If all our firefighters didn't accept this fact, what would happen? They'd never go in, and therefore probably suck at their jobs. Same thing with cops. Your job is to uphold and defend the Constitution, and the other laws of our land. Or, perhaps, to "Protect and Serve". Not "make sure I get home at the end of every day, at the expense of other citizen's rights"

Here's what Rich said:
You know, I've been wanting to say this for a while, but I haven't because it'll cause a real firestorm, and it will certainly not be understood in the context in which it's presented, but anyways...

This idea that "I'm going to act in such a way so that I'm guaranteed to go home tonight" is one of the attitudes that leads to such excesses in the performance of police duties.

In an encounter with a police officer, there shouldn't ever be a reason to disarm me unless I'm being arrested. Obviously, there are are circumstances where deadly force is required, as in where the bad guy points his firearm at an officer. But to consider disarming someone at a traffic stop where I'm guilty of nothing more than speeding or an equipment malfunction is certainly excessive.

I applaud those police officers who appreciate armed citizens, and those who don't abuse their authority. I know that there are many officers who have died in the line of duty. My thoughts and prayers go out to their families. But they accepted that risk when they volunteered for the training, and again each day that they wear the uniform. Just as the coal miner knows that he accepts heightened risks when he puts his miner's lamp onto his helmet; as the race car driver knows the dangers he faces when he tightens up the straps in his car; as the iron worker knows the risk of walking iron 30 stories above the ground; and as the firefighter knows how dangerous it could be every time those tones sound, the police officer accepts the risks he faces as another part of the job.

I could never be a police officer. I just couldn't deal with that stress on a daily basis, and I have great respect for those who choose that profession. But please don't tilt the scales so far toward your side of the table that you increase the risks to the civilians around you.

OK, I chose a petty example there; I could have talked about the old lady tasered in bed, or the armed civilian killed recently in NV (I know, the case is still pending, and all of the facts aren't known yet), or of other cases where properly-armed citizens have been improperly disarmed. I just dislike the excesses in the name of "safely getting home."

I know something of sacrifice. I have, in some small way, accepted some risks of my own. Soldiers swear a similar oath to that of police officers, and prepare to accept those same risks of injury, loss of function, or the sacrifice of life. Nobody twisted my left arm behind my back as I raised my right hand and swore to "support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestic..." The risk is part of the job... And if someday, I'm called to do something sacrificial in my defense, in the defense or in aid of my fellow Soldiers, or in the defense of someone unable to defend themselves, I only hope to do so in the brave manner exemplified by all those who have preceded me. I don't ask for pity, or for mercy, or even for easing the hardships.

... and I don't ask that the deck be stacked entirely in my favor. You see, I KNOW that I might not get home... and I am prepared for that.

Really? What percent of police shootings end up in negative action against the cop?

What percentage of civilian defensive shootings end up in prison time or loss of civil suit?
Just because you don't get charged or sued doesn't mean you didn't end up spending a bunch of money on a lawyer. For a police officer, he's likely to be represented by a union lawyer. For J. Random Gunowner, those costs come out of his pocket.

Massachussets is not the rest of the US. Whatever real or perceived chances of ending up in the shit over winning a gunfight in MA are not applicable to pretty much the rest of the US.
The "rest" of the US? Oh, really? Do you really think that MA courts are much different than say, Rhode Island? How about CT? Southern Maine (e.g., Portland)? New York? New Jersey? Maryland? Delaware? Chicago? Cleveland? CA? Western WA (e.g., Seattle)? Boulder, CO? There are more than a few liberal crapholes spread all over this country, with an ambitious district attorney looking to Nifong some poor shmuck as a way to climb the political ladder.

Yes, rural OH is different than urban MA. But don't kid yourself that the entire country is like rural OH. It isn't.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom