Is a FAL or HK91 necessary for my collection???

I'd love to get a SCAR. Only problem is the low $2k price tag with proprietary 20rnd mags that are costly. I also don't get why FNH builds the civilian version in Belgium, deliberately neuters them to meet 911 then has the USA factory un-neuter them so 911 doesn't come into affect. Just build them in the US and bypass all that hassle.

As to real FAL or HKs, I'd love to get a real one but like the SCAR they are not cheap. I know I'll not take a chance with a CETME, but maybe another clone will work. The PTR even starts at $1K.

Metric FAL mags work in the SCAR with little modification, seen many YouTube vids on this. There are lots of Pre-ban FAL mags in circulation at reasonable prices. I was thinking of an AR-10 build or purchase but pre-Ban mags are non existent, if this is not a concern then the AR-10 it is, i still think the SCAR is the better choice, lighter and arguably more reliable.

I agree, I wouldn't want one on a self defense rifle.

I can see the need for one if you are running a suppressor, or if it is a competition gun and you are tuning it to your own load, or if you are running some non-standard length gas system and are having reliability issues.

But for general use, I don't see the need.

What's the obsession with SCARs, it seems like not an ideal design, it's really expensive, and in Mass at least you can't utilize a major feature, the folding stock, and tehre are no pre-bans.

See my last post about the mags. Ar-10 pre-bans barely exist, if they do $$$$. As far as price goes it's cheaper than a pre ban FAL or HK91, i don't go crazy over clones, if im gonna get either one i'll want the original.
Ar-10 is heavier and the mag issue makes me run every time, and if i buy an AR-10 its' not gonna be a cheapo AR-10 so the price will cancel out.
Scar reliability is on par with both HK and FAL, and i dont care about a folding stock, the FAL and HK dont have one either. The SCAR is lighter than all other 308's which is a big advantage, and handles recoil very well... Oh ya, no bolt hold open on the HK drives me nuts, not sure about the FAL?

SCAR 17 all day long

Last edited:
Metric FAL mags work in the SCAR with little modification, seen many YouTube vids on this. There are lots of Pre-ban FAL mags in circulation at reasonable prices. I was thinking of an AR-10 build or purchase but pre-Ban mags are non existent, if this is not a concern then the AR-10 it is, i still think the SCAR is the better choice, lighter and arguably more reliable.

If you are looking for an 308 AR that can take pre-ban mags then look at Rock River's LAR-8 option. That's what I built and used it during one of NHEric's 800 yard classes he was doing last year. Hit a plate sized metal gong with it at 800 yards. Best part of the LAR-8 platform is that it accepts and reliably cycles with Metric FAL magazines. Rock River did this on purpose so you can use pre ban mags in their rifle.

IMG-20110717-00113.jpg

See my last post about the mags. Ar-10 pre-bans barely exist, if they do $$$$. As far as price goes it's cheaper than a pre ban FAL or HK91, i don't go crazy over clones, if im gonna get either one i'll want the original.
Ar-10 is heavier and the mag issue makes me run every time, and if i buy an AR-10 its' not gonna be a cheapo AR-10 so the price will cancel out.
Scar reliability is on par with both HK and FAL, and i dont care about a folding stock, the FAL and HK dont have one either. The SCAR is lighter than all other 308's which is a big advantage, and handles recoil very well... Oh ya, no bolt hold open on the HK drives me nuts, not sure about the FAL?

SCAR 17 all day long

Thanks, I agree on the mags, didn't know the SCAR can take some pre-bans. My wife objects more to large quantities than large price for firearms, so maybe the SCAR is an option. :)

If you are looking for an 308 AR that can take pre-ban mags then look at Rock River's LAR-8 option. That's what I built and used it during one of NHEric's 800 yard classes he was doing last year. Hit a plate sized metal gong with it at 800 yards. Best part of the LAR-8 platform is that it accepts and reliably cycles with Metric FAL magazines. Rock River did this on purpose so you can use pre ban mags in their rifle.

IMG-20110717-00113.jpg

Looking at those too, I like how you can order an upper and lower and avoid the Federal tax on complete rifles. Not as cool looking as a SCAR of course.

IMG-20110717-00113.jpg

Size and weight is what bothers me about this. To me i'd be using the SCAR for SHTF scenarios and not necessarily precision shooting, the SCAR can shoot out to those ranges also, maybe not quite the small groups, but kills shots, sure.
Recoil management is known to be very good on the SCAR, and operationally a sewing machine. IMHO it's worth the extra $$

Size and weight is what bothers me about this. To me i'd be using the SCAR for SHTF scenarios and not necessarily precision shooting, the SCAR can shoot out to those ranges also, maybe not quite the small groups, but kills shots, sure.
Recoil management is known to be very good on the SCAR, and operationally a sewing machine. IMHO it's worth the extra $$

yeah, for SHTF purpose I agree, rather have lighter weight of the SCAR than better optics.

Everybody has their own opinions..
But, as far as I can tell the FAL is by far the simplest of the bunch. Less bells and whistles and less little pieces of plastic stuff is less stuff to go wrong that can't be easily fixed or replaced.

The more accurate something is, the tighter the tolerances, the tighter the tolerance the ammo sensitive and the more prone to jamming if crap gets inside it.

The FAL, like the ak, has seen 50+ years of continuous service in every sh*t hole on the planet and is still in use, and esp in Africa, I'd expect many of those 50yr old guns to still be in service.

SCAR 17 all day long

Thanks, I agree on the mags, didn't know the SCAR can take some pre-bans. My wife objects more to large quantities than large price for firearms, so maybe the SCAR is an option. :)

UGGH

This thread is killing me ... It makes me want to go sell my sig and some pistols for a scar ......

I couldn't stop laughing while I was reading the necessary part,your trying to get someone to talk you out of a H&K OR FAL.By now you should already know that gun collecting is a sickness, and thank God they haven't found a cure for it yet. That said buy both.I love my H&K 91 AND IMBEL FAL.

I couldn't stop laughing while I was reading the necessary part,your trying to get someone to talk you out of a H&K OR FAL.By now you should already know that gun collecting is a sickness, and thank God they haven't found a cure for it yet. That said buy both.I love my H&K 91 AND IMBEL FAL.

You're not kidding. Once I stupidly got a C&R my fate was sealed........

My FAL is an STG58 upper, Imbel lower and DSA receiver. Among the shitload of parts kits for all kinds of different rifles/ machine guns my father gave me before he passed away, I sold them all to fund other stuff, except this kit. I wanted to save just one to build into a shooter that he would be proud of. It's the only gun I've ever "built" myself, though I know the correct term is "assembled" since I didn't actually make the receiver. But I had to buy the gauges, pins, barrel vice and receiver wrench to get it all done and it was a fun project. I timed the barrel perfectly on the first try and the gun is more accurate than I am. I never refinished any of it and I like it that way. Really brings out the "FrankenFAL". Has all new springs from Falcon arms. Mags are pretty cheap. I have 10 of them. Very fun to shoot, but it is the most expensive caliber for guns that I own.

FAL001.jpg

Everybody has their own opinions..
But, as far as I can tell the FAL is by far the simplest of the bunch. Less bells and whistles and less little pieces of plastic stuff is less stuff to go wrong that can't be easily fixed or replaced.

The more accurate something is, the tighter the tolerances, the tighter the tolerance the ammo sensitive and the more prone to jamming if crap gets inside it.

The FAL, like the ak, has seen 50+ years of continuous service in every sh*t hole on the planet and is still in use, and esp in Africa, I'd expect many of those 50yr old guns to still be in service.

I believe the FAL has way more parts than the other two. Nearly double the number if memory serves. I think the M14 is the simplest of the bunch by that measure, but that doesn't necessarily translate to durability.

You got it. Anyone who thinks their SHTF rifle is going to be an FAL has never carried one around for a couple of hours. ;)

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro - typos are from the GD auto correct unless they are funny substitutions those I'll take credit for.

You got it. Anyone who thinks their SHTF rifle is going to be an FAL has never carried one around for a couple of hours. ;)

Oh hells no. A fully loaded FAL plus a bunch of loaded mags is heavy as shit. Good for bug-in situation though. Wanna protect the home? Setup with the FAL, deploy the bipod and street watch from a second story window.
Need to venture out and loot? AK all the way.

My FAL is an STG58 upper, Imbel lower and DSA receiver.

Very nice.
Gawd, those Imbel kits were sweet and short money back then. I bought two, wish I had bought a dozen. I put together one on an Imbel gear logo receiver and the other one on a DSA.
I sent 1 barrel to FALfile's resident barrel guru, moses. I had him shorten it to 18.5", re-thread and re-crown it. Both are excellent shooters.

Are you suggesting the FAL and HK 91, G3 dont have a folding stock?

I own two of both a FN 308 aka 50.63 and a Stainless steel DSA Para / fixed stock.
As well as a few HK G3 platform rifles and the FN's have folding stocks and the HK's have collapsible stocks.

See attached photo...

SCAR 17 all day long

Attachments

• 2015-04-09-08-53-07-735353202.jpeg
    2015-04-09-08-53-07-735353202.jpeg
    5.8 KB · Views: 19
Oh hells no. A fully loaded FAL plus a bunch of loaded mags is heavy as shit. Good for bug-in situation though. Wanna protect the home? Setup with the FAL, deploy the bipod and street watch from a second story window.
Need to venture out and loot? AK all the way.

you guys need to man up. In Africa there's 10 year old carrying FALs all day long. [wink]

you guys need to man up. In Africa there's 10 year old carrying FALs all day long. [wink]

Lol and they weigh 200 lbs and look like bodybuilders. From carrying the FAL... :)

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro - typos are from the GD auto correct unless they are funny substitutions those I'll take credit for.

SCAR 17 all day long

Are you suggesting the FAL and HK 91, G3 dont have a folding stock?

I own two of both a FN 308 aka 50.63 and a Stainless steel DSA Para / fixed stock.
As well as a few HK G3 platform rifles and the FN's have folding stocks and the HK's have collapsible stocks.

That post is full of fail. Aside from the folding stock error that you pointed out, he insinuated that an Imbel kit on an Imbel gear logo receiver is some sort of clone and that FALs do not have a bolt hold open. OK unsure, but if you admittedly don't know, why even post the comment?

Back
Top Bottom