K&R Target Sports - Hudson, MA

dwarven1

Lonely Mountain Arms
Has anyone else checked out K&R? Roy is a good guy who knows his stuff when it comes to firearms.

His selection of handguns is a little limited (courtesy of the AG's wonderful regs), but he has some nice pieces, and a good selection of long arms. His ammo prices seem a tad high to me, but since he's about 1/2 mile from Riverside, it's nice to know he's there if I need ammo quickly. (I'm a real cheapskate when it comes to ammo).

If you're in the area, he's on Rt 62 in Hudson in the same plaza where they're putting in a St Mary's Credit Union (less than a quarter miles east of PC Creams).

Ross

Like I said, Greg, I'm a cheapskate when it comes to ammo... stop in and check them out for yourself. Besides... I haven't really checked his prices lately, anyway. I'm pretty well stocked up right now... although I may see what he's getting for .22 tomorrow; I think that I'm low on that.

Ross

Just stopped in today on the way back from the range - he's got a LOT more guns in the cases, and he's getting more in, he tells me. Ray was showing me the new Walther G22 rifle - integral laser sight and a bullpup configuration. Nice.

Anyway... in the cases, I notices a couple of 1911's, a pair of 4" barrel Lugers, a broomhandle Mauser, a Walther P38, a Kahr K9 and K40... he's also got a lot of long arms, too, and reloading supplies.

and he's about 3 minutes from Riverside Gun Club. How convenient can you get??

Ross

I stopped in yesterday after the match at Riverside. Raymond was in the shop. He was friendly and didn't seem particularly fazed by a sweaty, scruffy guy who looked like he had just been rolling around in the dirt. He's obviously just received a bunch more inventory: boxes were stacked all over the place. He put in a good word for Riverside while I was there.

I asked him if he had any of S&W's stainless scandium 1911s. He had one, the full size model, which he was asking $840 for. It was still in the box, he hadn't had a chance to put it in the display case yet. $840 is a good bit higher than I've seen anyone else asking for that pistol. He may be willing to haggle but if he's starting that high I'm not interested. He went on to tell me that it retails for $1029 and it's the Performance Center model. Now the Performance Center models have, among other things, "Performance Center" marked on them. This one didn't have that, the funky wavy slide serrations, magwell, trigger, or the slide fit I would expect, or anything that distinguished it from a stock scandium 1911. I asked him straight out: "Is this a Performance Center gun?". "Yep." The most charitable explanation is that he somehow confused a $1K and a $2K retail gun. I didn't end up buying anything.

Some of his other prices were more reasonable. He had a barely used Kahr K9 for $450 but I really don't need another steel Kahr.

I stopped in today on the way back from a customer. I am in the area 2-3 times a month. It's a nice little "stop in and see whats here" kind of place. It's not very big, but Ray (nice guy) keeps all the basics around. He said he runs weekly ammo specials, something new every week. Last week was 100 rnds of .223 for $19.95 I didn't catch the brand. He was very busy when I got there. He just got a bunch of boxes in. But not to busy to introduce himself, shake a hand and ask if I needed any help. I will try to make this a regular stop on the way back from my customers.

B.J.

Just went there during my lunchtime today. Spoke to Ray and he seems like a really nice and genuine guy. Place was stacked with boxes everywhere with the UPS guy delivering as we spoke.

Looked at a few pistols he had in stock and looked hard at a S&W 640 that he just got in. Even showed me his invoice on the guns and said he charges about 10% over his cost. Prices on new were not outrageously high but were a few dollars more than say 4seasons. Not enough difference in the prices to justify the $$ in gas to burn from Worcester to Woburn.

Used pieces may be a different story. I don't know enough about the used market to make that call.

He even showed me some of his own stuff and let me try on a gun or two with holsters. Even though it was only about an hour spent in there, with the impression he gave me of himself and his store, I definitely will go back there.

I just stopped in today and picked a new Walther PPK/s. Ray is a great guy and offers the kind of customer service that is becoming hard to find these days. He was very nice and was willing to spend as much time with me as I needed to get to know my new purchase. I will defineately be a regular.

FYI - K&R is Closed for the Winter

Drove by K&R today - there is a sign in the door saying he is closed and will reopen April 11 (IIRC).

Drove by K&R today - there is a sign in the door saying he is closed and will reopen April 11 (IIRC).

He's finally got a website up: http://krtargetsports.com

Stopped in today to put up a sign for the Turkey Shoot that my Lodge is sponsoring and chatted a while - Seems Ray has new hours and has hired some help. Good to see a gun shop expanding hours and hiring new help in this state!

I've stopped in a 3 or 4 times over the past month (picked up a S&W .38/200 and a Bulgarian Makarov). Ray's a very nice guy, (as are Mark and Steve who also work/help out there) and I always felt welcome to browse, once I showed my LTC.

I would add that if you're looking for a shop where everything is displayed, priced, and easily accessible, you may leave feeling a little let down.

I found it interesting that when I read the first few posts, I assumed they were recent. Apparently not much has changed since 2005 whe Ross started this thread. There are still boxes piled high everywhere.

Overall its a nice place to check in for an interesting selction.

Thanks,

Chris

Yeah, I'm starting to think that the boxes are a permanent fixture. To be honest, several of the stacks near the door are clay pigeons. Given his proximity to Riverside Gun Club, I can understand that...

I'm not sure what you mean by this:
I would add that if you're looking for a shop where everything is displayed, priced, and easily accessible, you may leave feeling a little let down.

I grant you that the ammo is behind the counter, but the rifle ammo is up high enough that you can read the prices, and most all of the guns were priced - certainly the rifles in the racks out front were. The rifles in the racks behind the counter I'll grant you didn't always have visible tags, though - is that what you mean?

Ross:

I am really referring more to guns with no price, or guns displayed that may or may not be for sale. He has a P-38 that I'd love to buy, it has a tag, but no price. Ray's comment to me was that he hasn't made up his mind whether to sell it or not. The Smith I just bought was in the display case, for a month, with no price. On my first three visists, I asked him what he wanted for it, but he hadn't made up his mind.

Not a big deal, but less persistent customers may not be willing to make 3 or 4 visits in order to get a price on a gun.

just my two cents.

Chris

I think that they're still there - I'd asked him about them in the spring and he was saying that he wanted to put them on special every 10 days and announce the special on his website... he's finally go the site up, but I don't see anything about the ammo yet.

That place can be a treasure chest if you hit it at the right time. Last May I stopped in and had just gotten in a MA compliant G-30 with 4 mags (the mags looked brand new). I walked out paying $570 for the gun and four mags. GREAT deal.

K&R targetsports-Hudson, MA

I have been toying with buying an AK style rifle. Noticed K&R had an Norinco listed on thier website. Since its a pretty good ride I called and asked if the gun was still availibe. saleperson told me he was very busy,but if the website has it listed,then its for sale. I asked again just to be sure, and was told again if its on the web it still for sale. Drove all the way there and no AK. saleperson cant find it looks around and then tells me it appears to have been sold a while ago. Great wasted several hours of my only day off and came up empty handed. noticed they had a small selection of over priced handguns and rifles. wont be going back there anytime soon.

K&R is the closest store to my house, so I go over there occasionally for the odd bit or two. I've found the owner and the guy he's got working for him both very friendly and helpful. It's not a big store though, and the prices aren't great. The guy at the ammo counter at the Walmart a few miles away told me that K&R buys his ammo from them. So you know his prices can't be any good. Anyway, definitely nothing to bother driving a long distance for, sorry you had that experience.

If you want an AK, try Zero Hour. They've got a bunch.

Back
Top Bottom