• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Larue Tactical's response to LEO request in a ban state

When Larue came out with their triggers, they were just as expensive as the Geissele triggers. They also have better quality steel and more repeatable breaks.

Then, purely to spite Bill Geissele and take market shares from him, Mark started selling his triggers for cost. It may have actually been below cost for a period?

Anyway, it was all to screw over Bill.
Did Geissele run his mouth or something to provoke that? Usually businesses don't leave $$ on the table for no reason.

Did Geissele run his mouth or something to provoke that? Usually businesses don't leave $$ on the table for no reason.

Mark Larue does. His vindictiveness is only surpassed by Bill’s (who went around and sued a customer for badmouthing his early Mk16 rails that bent during SOCOM trials).

Basically, Geissele had triggers, Larue had mounts. They both had their separate markets, and Mark even used Geissele triggers in his rifles. Then Geissele decided to start making mounts too and Mark took offense to that. So Mark decided to start making triggers. And then when that wasn’t enough because he couldn’t take enough market from the already established Geissele, he cut prices to cost and started pumping them out… purely out of spite.

Mark Larue does. His vindictiveness is only surpassed by Bill’s (who went around and sued a customer for badmouthing his early Mk16 rails that bent during SOCOM trials).

Basically, Geissele had triggers, Larue had mounts. They both had their separate markets, and Mark even used Geissele triggers in his rifles. Then Geissele decided to start making mounts too and Mark took offense to that. So Mark decided to start making triggers. And then when that wasn’t enough because he couldn’t take enough market from the already established Geissele, he cut prices to cost and started pumping them out… purely out of spite.
Ahhh, yeah, OK, that'll do it.

And in the end. LaRue triggers are ok. Really no comparison to Geissele. For a while about 5 years ago there was a pricing "anomaly" within LaRue's product line where they would sell an entire rifle build kit for about $1000. Including an assembled upper, all parts, including their trigger

I bought a bunch, kept a few, sold a few, got several of my friends to buy them. So I've got a decent sample size. The LaRue triggers have significant creep before the break. Not a big deal if you are shooting fast. But if you are shooting slow, it's very distracting. Who knows, maybe they are better now.

The uppers have run flawlessly among everyone I know. My friend in NH paired it with one of his fancy lowers. Friends in MA and CT combined them with pre-ban lowers.

And in the end. LaRue triggers are ok. Really no comparison to Geissele. For a while about 5 years ago there was a pricing "anomaly" within LaRue's product line where they would sell an entire rifle build kit for about $1000. Including an assembled upper, all parts, including their trigger

I bought a bunch, kept a few, sold a few, got several of my friends to buy them. So I've got a decent sample size. The LaRue triggers have significant creep before the break. Not a big deal if you are shooting fast. But if you are shooting slow, it's very distracting. Who knows, maybe they are better now.

The uppers have run flawlessly among everyone I know. My friend in NH paired it with one of his fancy lowers. Friends in MA and CT combined them with pre-ban lowers.
I regret not buying more of those kits

Same here, for what you got it was a bargain, I think I only have two in 5.56 and one in 6.5G

For the price, the triggers are a bargain and better than most if not all of the ones that come with the lower parts kits but a lot
For the money, it's tough to beat the Rock River Arms varmint trigger. I haven't priced it lately but it used to be about $75. It's every bit as good as the LaRue and the lower end Geisseles. It's the same as their match trigger but with a lighter return spring because it doesn't need to comply with Service Rifle rules. Which requires 4.5 lb minimum. Zero creep. Which drives me nuts.

!!!!!!

I should have bought more of them. With his billet lower, a complete rifle was about $1300.
One friend ended up with a .308, a 5.56, and a 10 (ish) inch SBR in .300 blk. He still has them all. Ha. When I saw the deals I literally told all of my friends and probably posted here that you need to jump on this.

1709813834490.png

Last edited:

They’re 2-stage triggers. Are you sure that creep isn’t just the first stage?

I only have a couple Larue triggers, but found their stages and breaks to be cleaner than my Geissele SSAs. The Geissele SSA-E and National Match triggers don’t have comparable Larue triggers though. And I still prefer Geissele triggers for the shape of their trigger shoes.

Last edited:
I have three of their Stealth uppers. Their barrels are phenomenal. They make better stuff than DD and Noveske while being less expensive.

I bought an 20” OBR 7.62 when they brought barrel manufacturing fully in house - I had to wait about 2 years. Got it just before the edict came down. I can shoot 5 shot. <0.5” groups. I came with a Geiselle - I swapped to the first generation of MBT when they became available.

I also have a complete 20” 5.56 upper - I still haven’t shot it yet ☹️. Too many Volun-told projects continually get assigned to me. I need to finish painting some political signs today.

I don't know what this creep is you speak of. I have a bunch of MBT2s and there's no creep, it's a typical, but decent 2 stage trigger. From a value prop standpoint an equivalent Geissele isn't worth an extra $100+ and something bucks for most people.

I have three of their Stealth uppers. Their barrels are phenomenal. They make better stuff than DD and Noveske while being less expensive.

Sadly Larue doesn’t tell people what his barrels are made of. DD and Noveske have proven durable barrels that can put out good groups.

Larue focuses on good groups, but I have no idea what the barrel life is. Possibly better than the dedicated stainless match barrels put out from companies like White Oak.

Also, Larue barrels aren’t cheap anymore. $350 for a stealth barrel. Criterion are $330. Daniel Defense are $340. I recently paid about that amount for a Noveske barrel made from M249 blanks that was on sale.

I only have a couple Larue triggers, but found their stages and breaks to be cleaner and than my Geissele SSAs. The Geissele SSA-E and National Match triggers don’t have compatible Larue triggers though. And I still prefer Geissele triggers for the shape of their trigger shoes.
Yes,the creep is after the 1st stage take up and before the break.

I've reached out to LaRue and they are happy to do an exchange. I just haven't gotten around to removing them. These triggers were all purchased within a couple of months of each other. Maybe it was a bad batch. I'm not sure but I',m glad to hear that yours is cleaner than a SSA

I grabbed a few MBTs when they were like 77 bux or so iirc!! Cost wise, the ssa is t worth the extra money even with the mbt trigger at 150. Wish I saw the deals on the complete rifles or the uppers!!

I grabbed a few MBTs when they were like 77 bux or so iirc!! Cost wise, the ssa is t worth the extra money even with the mbt trigger at 150. Wish I saw the deals on the complete rifles or the uppers!!
Yes, based on my comments in this thread, I was paying $899 for a complete kit with a built upper, including stock, tranquillo muzzle brake, and MBT. Wow. I should have kept more of them.

Mark Serbu is another . . . . interesting guy. I had dinner with him at SHOT many years ago. we have a common friend.
My Serbu 50A is serial number "50BMG". I have a thing for guns where the serial number matches the caliber. 40S&W, 38SUPER, 9x19, 9MM, etc.

Mark Serbu may be the only general aviation pilot who called the FAA to ask if there was any law or regulation against strafing the ocean. I think there is a video of it somewhere on Utube.

My Serbu 50A is serial number "50BMG". I have a thing for guns where the serial number matches the caliber. 40S&W, 38SUPER, 9x19, 9MM, etc.

Mark Serbu may be the only general aviation pilot who called the FAA to ask if there was any law or regulation against strafing the ocean. I think there is a video of it somewhere on Utube.

Of course Mark probably intended to put a real gun in the wing of his plane.
Back when I had a small 2 seat aerobatic plane, there were some local people who enjoyed dog fighting.

One was a guy with an AT-6 out of Westerly and a P51 out of Nantucket. We'd meet just outside of Newport harbor, play around a bit, then decide on somewhere to go to breakfast. A couple of them were bouncing around the idea of mounting airsoft guns on the wings and actually shooting at each other in dogfights.

It was more of an idea than a plan. But then 9/11 happened and the idea became . . . impractical.

The Sunday after 9/11 the AT-6 and I were flying in formation along Westerly beach. I think it was Sunday. Anyway, the weather was nice and there were a bunch of people on the beach. Like he had done before, the AT-6 driver turned on the smoke to give a bit of a show.

Unlike before, it caused a panic. 20 minutes later when I called called Groton/New London tower "Groton Tower AT-6 flight of two landing with Bravo" to land for breakfast, the controller asked us to "call the tower when you're on the ground".

He then very calmly explained that the difference between September 10th and September 16th was that when people saw a plane trailing a plume of white smoke, they no longer thought it was cool. They thought it was a terrorist trying to gas them. So no more smoke over the beach. Ha.

Sorry for the long winded post. You just brought up some very fond memories.

I only have a couple Larue triggers, but found their stages and breaks to be cleaner than my Geissele SSAs. The Geissele SSA-E and National Match triggers don’t have comparable Larue triggers though. And I still prefer Geissele triggers for the shape of their trigger shoes.
i have a bunch of larue triggers, none have any creep, but, well, who knows. for the $80 it is(was) the best trigger for that money.

Back
Top Bottom