• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LGS checking trigger before allowing a transfer

Carr's, been closed for at least two or three years now. Not sure if Walter passed or just quit. at one time back in the day it was a great shop. I remember talking with him one time and he was telling me what changes he had to go thru after the 68' GCA shenanigans.

That's the place. I've done relatively few transfers through FFLs up there but always had a good experience there.

Carr's, been closed for at least two or three years now. Not sure if Walter passed or just quit. at one time back in the day it was a great shop. I remember talking with him one time and he was telling me what changes he had to go thru after the 68' GCA shenanigans.

Damn. I was thinking “Someset/Dighton? There is a gun shop?” I think Carr’s is officially in Taunton. He was a good guy that got too little business. He wasn’t well liked by the TPD because he just locked the pistol case at night and some thugs once broke in and stole all of his handguns. I guess the big-ass roller door wasn’t enough.

Incredibly simplistic database query:

SELECT name, email, COUNT(*)
FROM users
WHERE year_of_sale = 2020
GROUP BY name, email
HAVING COUNT(*) >= 5

You're assuming reasonable table/data structure. If they are morons and save dates as strings (worse, nvarchar(max)), shard their date incorrectly, or have stuff on paper still that's all out the window. Yes that kind of thing is simple with a reasonably well run organization with at least the grasp of tech developers had in the 80s. However if the sexier alphabet soup orgs can't hire tech people, the ATF probably relies on window lickers.

Went to transfer a M&P Shield today to someone at a LGS. Brought gun in and guy behind the counter dry fired the gun and said this trigger has been changed. No longer Mass compatible. Cannot be transferred. WTF?

Troy City Tactical and probably not too far from where you're at.
Seemed like a good group the whole 2 times I was there. Did a transfer without a hitch.

You're assuming reasonable table/data structure. If they are morons and save dates as strings (worse, nvarchar(max)), shard their date incorrectly, or have stuff on paper still that's all out the window. Yes that kind of thing is simple with a reasonably well run organization with at least the grasp of tech developers had in the 80s. However if the sexier alphabet soup orgs can't hire tech people, the ATF probably relies on window lickers.

This isn't an ATF thing, its EOPS. I would bet the shit they use that tracks the # of transfers vs X was coded into the "product" they use many, many years ago.

They are probably solid, but boring gun shop. IF they really peddle CMR940 bullshit then they need to warn people about that before they go there for a
transfer. I bet anything the OP asked "Hey I have a shield I need a transfer to someone else" and they said "ok its on the list, fine" without telling them they were going to do a CMR940 vag/moisture check on the guys gun....

On the list?

I did a transfer recently for someone who ran in to this issue with the same shop so can't say I'm surprised. OP you should have luck with TCT, J&S, Armour, etc.
J&S is closed for a couple weeks. As of Dec 2nd John had Covid and was in the Hospital. Haven't heard anything since.

I correct myself. He sent it to Sportsman Outfitter on padelford Street in Berkeley
That's the spot I was going to suggest, not to far off exit 11. Small shop but decent inventory as opposed to some of the other shops I've seen, and enough of a variety of ammo the most LGS would have a wet dream over these days(even if a bit rapey).

Last edited:
Incredibly simplistic database query:

FROM users
GROUP BY name, email
HAVING COUNT(*) >= 5

Understood....but my point is that you'd have to really give a shit to write it in the first place....and my money is on that no one cares enough to do that.

I have never done a transfer at shooting supply, but if I was the type of guy that purchased guns and posted about it in a public forum. I would have say that they’ve been a great place to deal with. Great prices, pre COVID of course, good selection. I am surprised, but maybe his had a warning, I would imagine something as triggered this, normally Mark is pretty cool guy to deal with.

Things change and I haven’t been in a while but Shooting Supply and the Littleton Mill are my go to places.

FROM users
GROUP BY name, email
HAVING COUNT(*) >= 5
Don't you wish.
Then you'd just have to use a different EMail on the EFA-10 after the 4th transfer.

Hmmm, I wonder if in real life they're stupid enough to group by LTC license number?
Then you'd get a birthday present of four bonus transfers every sixth year.
🎂🎁[rofl]

I am surprised, but maybe his had a warning, ...
I'm sure @shootingsupply would like to explain in this thread why
out of all FFLs in the state, it's only illegal for them
to transfer a handgun without 10 pound trigger
even when it has a manual safety.

Bought my first handgun (6" Dan Wesson Model 15-2 .357) there just about 40 years ago this month. Nice people.

EDIT: Changed the reference to my 10/22. Thinking a bit more, I bought that at Tight Lines in West Bridgewater.

Last edited:
Some of the people at Shooting Supply just like to give you a hard time on transfers....almost like they are looking for a reason not to do it. I once went there with the buyer to transfer a pistol but was told by the semi-bitchy woman that they cannot transfer it because it was not on the approved list. I then pointed out that I had previously purchased it from THEM! I showed her my paperwork and she ate her words!

There's also the possibility he thought it was one of Maura's sting operations.
Since it had a safety, no possibility of a sting.
For the record, I've had other extra cautious MA dealers refuse to transfer or put on consignment semi-auto handguns with less than Maura's 10-pound trigger pull and it didn't matter if it had a manual safety or not. Those dealers did not feel that the relevant CMR gave them the ability to ignore the 10-pound requirement if there is a safety present. Just sayin' [thinking]

Some of the people at Shooting Supply just like to give you a hard time on transfers....almost like they are looking for a reason not to do it. I once went there with the buyer to transfer a pistol but was told by the semi-bitchy woman that they cannot transfer it because it was not on the approved list. I then pointed out that I had previously purchased it from THEM! I showed her my paperwork and she ate her words!

Village Sports down the street said they were not doing transfers anymore a few months back, Me and another member went there to transfer a lever gun, it's like they are a nuisance or something. What makes shooting Supply Good is they have a huge inventory of reloading stuff, especially before everything went nuts, take that away and they are just another hole in the wall shop.

unless they're bored or have some new gear they want to try out.

It hasn't happened yet. Name one person busted for doing 5 transfers. People get letters telling them to knock it off. And you don't even get one of those for 5. Could it happen? Maybe. But is it likely? With all the new applicants, and the fact that they can never keep up on a normal year? Not very likeleh.

Got to be some back story. Been treated fairly and professionally @ SS. They do indeed sell "Target list" pistols.

There's a "mill clone" down there in the armpit region with a much smaller # of dealers, but probably same deal.
Where is this?

And not to go too far off the subject but is Bay State Trading post in Raynham still open? And Pheasant Ridge, their website says under new management but they have pictures of the old owners on it....looks suspicious.

There's a similar mill in Bridgewater. Significantly smaller. But just as tough to navigate. You need a sherpa, guide dog and a map.

I went to SS for the first time last month to check out a used S&W 6906. Chatted with the guy behind the counter and was checking the pistol out, and I asked if I could dry fire it. He said it was shop policy that there is absolutely no dry firing of new or used firearms. Wasn't a big deal at the time - I always ask before doing so, and it's no big deal if it's not allowed... but now reading this it seems they are going against their own policy.

Back
Top Bottom