• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA Resident buying a gun at Kittery Trading Post in Maine.

I want to head up to Kittery to pick up some rifles that I can't own under my FID. The plan is to either keep them locked up in NH or ME. Or otherwise out of Massachusetts. I have heard that out of state dealers can only sell you something that is legal in MA unless you have residency out of Massachusetts. I can't seem to find any law anywhere stating this is the case. Otherwise, does anyone foresee any trouble if I make the drive up one of these weekends?

May a licensed dealer sell a firearm to a non-licensee who is a resident of another State?

Generally, a firearm may not lawfully be sold by a licensed dealer to a non-licensee who resides in a State other than the State in which the seller’s licensed premises is located. However, the sale may be made if the firearm is shipped to a licensed dealer whose business is in the purchaser’s State of residence and the purchaser takes delivery of the firearm from the dealer in his or her State of residence. In addition, a licensee may sell a rifle or shotgun to a person who is not a resident of the State where the licensee’s business premises is located in an over-the-counter transaction, provided the transaction complies with State law in the State where the licensee is located and in the State where the purchaser resides.

[18 U.S.C. 922(b)(3)]

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may...rearm-non-licensee-who-resident-another-state

That's my understanding too is that an FFL in another state can only sell you a long gun if its legal for you to own it in your state.

I think its different when for instance you buy a non-compliant AR over the internet/phone and have it shipped to an FFL who makes it compliant before transferring it to you because the original FFL transferred it to another FFL not to you the end user.

Damn. I really hope that when Hilary gets elected that there isn't a huge panic and all the guns I want either don't get banned, or go up 2x in price by the time I get my LTC. Thanks for the clarification.

You can buy a long gun, just need to have a pistol shipped to an FFL in MA.

Damn. I really hope that when Hilary gets elected that there isn't a huge panic and all the guns I want either don't get banned, or go up 2x in price by the time I get my LTC. Thanks for the clarification.

It will happen long before then, the NRA has already started their panic talk and their constituents (gun/ammo manufacturers & distributors) thank them generou$$$$$ly for it too. [sad2]

I want to head up to Kittery to pick up some rifles that I can't own under my FID. The plan is to either keep them locked up in NH or ME. Or otherwise out of Massachusetts. I have heard that out of state dealers can only sell you something that is legal in MA unless you have residency out of Massachusetts. I can't seem to find any law anywhere stating this is the case. Otherwise, does anyone foresee any trouble if I make the drive up one of these weekends?

The rifle has to be legal in your state of residence as defined by the ATF.

Every year we go camping in Maine. Stop at KTP on the ride as it's the halfway point.

In the market for a shotgun to get into the trap game. Definitely entry level and low priced. KTP seems to have a huge selection listed online, much more than any LGS.

My question is, if I stop on the way home, and find and buy a basic shotgun (typical fudd gun), what do I need to do to get it back here all legal?

I think I can just put it in my SUV in a locked case (or in my locked trailer), then EFA-10 when I get home. don't think I can get by with just a trigger lock in an SUV, right? Please advise if I'm wrong.. Thanks.

Talk about bad timing. If it wasn't for Maura's action distracting us, we'd probably selectively go to "OMG OMG Hillary baah , BUY AMMO" mode by now.

But I wouldn't be surprised to hear the rest of the Union is gearing up for some good ole' panic.

Do you have a friend you trust about these matters ? Someone that can buy what you want now and once you're legal to own one - sell it to you ?

Every year we go camping in Maine. Stop at KTP on the ride as it's the halfway point.

In the market for a shotgun to get into the trap game. Definitely entry level and low priced. KTP seems to have a huge selection listed online, much more than any LGS.

My question is, if I stop on the way home, and find and buy a basic shotgun (typical fudd gun), what do I need to do to get it back here all legal?

I think I can just put it in my SUV in a locked case (or in my locked trailer), then EFA-10 when I get home. don't think I can get by with just a trigger lock in an SUV, right? Please advise if I'm wrong.. Thanks.

No expert on "Buy in Maine. Move it here".

As for locking:
Put this around your case handles, and you're complying with Mass. Transport reg's. You may be able to get away with less, but who cares.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01589YGLQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pump Action Shottie ?

Trigger Lock or Cable thru the Action and UNLOADED is fine for transport.

Do not forget to ask KTP to sell it to you Tax Free. They do that.

Buy for God's sake keep it hidden. I don't know the legality of transport thru NH.

Talk about bad timing. If it wasn't for Maura's action distracting us, we'd probably selectively go to "OMG OMG Hillary baah , BUY AMMO" mode by now.

But I wouldn't be surprised to hear the rest of the Union is gearing up for some good ole' panic.

Do you have a friend you trust about these matters ? Someone that can buy what you want now and once you're legal to own one - sell it to you ?

Not that I'm throwing stones...but I'm pretty sure that can be construed as a straw purchase.

Do you have a friend that is interested and maybe purchase a rifle you like right now that may not like it and want to sell in a couple years? I think that's about right.

Not that I'm throwing stones...but I'm pretty sure that can be construed as a straw purchase.

Do you have a friend that is interested and maybe purchase a rifle you like right now that may not like it and want to sell in a couple years? I think that's about right.

Yep.

Straw.

Don't do it.

Maura......is that you!!!

More of an ATF thing.

It looks like the STRAW PURCHASE regulation is in place specifically for situations where a Lawful Purchaser buys a Firearm for someone who CANNOT LEGALLY buy one.

Not necessarily for one Lawful Owner buying a Firearm just to sell another Lawful Owner. But man, I would not chance this. Way too risky.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/12/robert-farago/what-if-its-not-a-lie-28-states-fight-atf-straw-purchase-law/

Maura......is that you!!!

I'm definitely not Maura. I hate the *****. With every fiber of my 2A being. But I do know that she (or her staff) reads these posts. After 07/20, I'm guessing she will interpret ANYTHING to fit her agenda. Sending someone away for a "Straw purchase" would DEFINITELY fit their narrative.

Again, not throwing stones. Just throwing .02 in there.

More of an ATF thing.

It looks like the STRAW PURCHASE regulation is in place specifically for situations where a Lawful Purchaser buys a Firearm for someone who CANNOT LEGALLY buy one.

Not necessarily for one Lawful Owner buying a Firearm just to sell another Lawful Owner. But man, I would not chance this. Way too risky.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/12/robert-farago/what-if-its-not-a-lie-28-states-fight-atf-straw-purchase-law/

The straw purchase regulation may be in place to stop a lawful purchaser making a purchase for someone who cannot lawfully purchase a gun, but it has been used to prosecute lawful purchasers buying for those who lawfully can purchase a gun.

Doesn't matter if you store them out of MA, they will still block the sale because MA cooties with an MA FID and federal law blocking such transactions. You might as well walk into that place and tell everyone you have ebola. On the other hand, If you have property out of state you need to dump your MA residency and things will improve for you from there.

-Mike

But what about if you are from MA with no NH License ?

NH requires NO license for default possession of anything. loaded conceal carry and loaded in-vehicle carry are the only two things the PRL applies to. Everything else is free by default.

-Mike

NH doesn't have any transportation requirements except 'unloaded'. (And if you're buying from KTP, you'll to pick it up in the NH location so you don't pay ME sales tax, right?) For transport in MA, the 131C 'locked container' requirements only apply to long guns if they are 'high capacity'. However, keeping 'fudd' guns in a locked container makes sense anyway. I wouldn't trust just any LEO on the street to know the transportation laws, and it gives you better 4th amendment protection. It also protects you from possibly falling afoul of the 131L storage requirements if you leave the gun in the vehicle unattended.

NH doesn't have any transportation requirements except 'unloaded'. (And if you're buying from KTP, you'll to pick it up in the NH location so you don't pay ME sales tax, right?) For transport in MA, the 131C 'locked container' requirements only apply to long guns if they are 'high capacity'. However, keeping 'fudd' guns in a locked container makes sense anyway. I wouldn't trust just any LEO on the street to know the transportation laws, and it gives you better 4th amendment protection. It also protects you from possibly falling afoul of the 131L storage requirements if you leave the gun in the vehicle unattended.

I'm a MA resident, so they shouldn't charge me sales tax at all, I think. It's up to me to report that on my taxes in April. [rofl] I didn't know they had a NH location.

I get the case thing.. just easier all around.. Would my padlocked enclosed trailer be considered a "locked container"?

I'm a MA resident, so they shouldn't charge me sales tax at all, I think. It's up to me to report that on my taxes in April. [rofl] I didn't know they had a NH location..........

Now THAT's funny. Anything you buy in ME and take possession of in ME is subject to ME sales tax.

I see this happen all the time at Cabelas in ME. Sales folks just love it when MA or NH folks challenge them.

anything at KTP can be had from a shop in MA or NH for much better deal. I avoid that place. it's a joke. it reminds me of one of those gringo-shops in the bahamas that you pass from the airport to the hotel.

they also treat MA residents like some type of diseased pigeon. i will never forget the look on the guys face when he asked to see my LTC. it was priceless. i told him to keep the gun i will go elsewhere. that was like 3 years ago. never been back.

Last edited:
Would my padlocked enclosed trailer be considered a "locked container"?

You'd have to ask a lawyer for an answer to that question which you could bank upon, but I'd think probably so.

Or call the AG and ask [rofl] (No, don't do that. She'd want to 'interpret' that law for us too)

they also treat MA residents like some type of diseased pigeon. i will never forget the look on the guys face when he asked to see my LTC. it was priceless.

Years ago, I bought an AK from an NES member up in NH. We did the transfer at a little FFL up there, so the NH resident didn't have to bring the 'evil killy' rifle into MA without a non-res LTC. The guy at the FFL turned white as a sheet when I said I was from MA. He did go through with it though, after asking a lot of questions.

Last edited:
Years ago, I bough an AK from an NES member up in NH. We did the transfer at a little FFL up there, so the NH resident didn't have to bring the 'evil killy' rifle into MA without a non-res LTC. The guy at the FFL turned white as a sheet when I said I was from MA. He did go through with it though, after asking a lot of questions.

Wow... there's no risk to him from inbounding a gun, even from one of us MA aids carriers. [laugh] Then again if he's never seen one of us in his store he was probably looking for a prison tattoo on your arm or something, who knows.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom