NES Amateur Radio (HAM) Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
My callsign is too long too. I was thinking about shortening mine from NX1Z to N1Z....or something, what do you think?

BTW C-pher, cool vanity call!

/John

Thank you...I was excited when I found that it was available.

Maybe we should have a NES net once a month on a wide area 2M machine like Paxton or something. Like once a month at least. Nothing formal, just a meet on the air type of thing.

I've brought that up somewhere on this thread...I think that it would be cool. I can hit Paxton from North Attleboro with my gear. I don't know how clear...but I receive VERY well.

You all realize we have enough hams on NES for a mean entry on Field Day, don't you?

And if I knew what that meant...I'd be ALL IN! I need more practice with people that know what in the hell they are doing.

And on a side note. I opened up my mailbox today to find my General Book. Now it's time to start reading...and then head to Canton next month for my test.

We'd need a club call for that, wouldn't we?

BTW, I also pm'd Derek about a subforum in the members section. I'm not holdin' my breath... but we'll see what he says.

Not necessarily a club call -- just an Extra Class assuming control op and everyone operating under that call so everyone can operate all bands and modes.

Yes, I agree 200%, that's what the '/'s are designed for.

Here in the US, with a US issued call there is no / in our root callsign and typing one's call as W1/AW is nuts (running mobile or portable or repeater, etc. excluded). To me it would be like saying out loud to someone "I live in a suburb of Boston comma Massachusetts" instead of "I live in a suburb of Boston Massachuessetts". Who would do that? [rolleyes]

I just wonder where this habit came from. Why would anyone anyong type their call like W1/AW?

Perhaps it comes from the very old days before there were country designators?

It's not that important, it's just one of those things that I wonder and doesn't make any sense in practice.

Maybe it's just a Massachusetts thing because of the lightning bolt character on the license plates, but I for one like the practice. Non-Hams who happen to see a callsign in print, may not recognize its significance as being a callsign instead of a typo. The "/" gives it an intentional emphasis.

GEMOTO_Group.jpg

I don't know what you just said.... LOL!! But you sound good to me..you're very clear. I'm getting about a s-7 from the repeater. That last one that you did was kinda quiet. What's weird and it's getting crackley and then it's clear as a bell.

Now, I want to get another 8800 so I can put in the basement and cross band and use the HT walking around the house. LOL! Yea, I'm out of control. hehehehe

LOL!! I was thinking the same thing! It's cold in the basement. I need to move the shack upstairs or get an 8800.

LOL!! I was thinking the same thing! It's cold in the basement. I need to move the shack upstairs or get an 8800.

Though...when it's summer, and it's cool in the basement...you'll wish it was back down there....get the 8800. hehehee

I think that I'm going to get a dedicated 6m for the basement... IT will be a few months until I can save up...but I'm thinking about it...

Though...when it's summer, and it's cool in the basement...you'll wish it was back down there....get the 8800. hehehee

I think that I'm going to get a dedicated 6m for the basement... IT will be a few months until I can save up...but I'm thinking about it...

It may take you that long to find one.
The only monoband 6 meter radio made nowadays is the Alinco, and that's just FM.
All-mode radios are really hard to find. I have a Kenwood TS-60, and it took me over a month to locate one for sale. The going rate (if you can find one) is about $500. The Icom IC-551 is another option, but that's a pretty large base radio and also very hard to find.
If you really want 6 meter, you're probably better off just getting an HF radio with 6 in it.

OK, so go HF with 6m? Or do a 2/6/somthing? Is there a 2m antenna that will also work as a 1/4 - 1/2 or 5/8 somthing or other for a 6m? This will be on the house...so I'm thinking, if my antenna is a full wave 2m...does that work for 6m? It would be like a 1/3 wave or something?? I really need to learn more about antennas....

Slow down, hoss, unless you're made of money. Once you get your General, you'll want to be buying a bunch of 20, 40, and 80 gear too.

Yea, that's why I might just do like Zappa said and get an HF Rig with 6m. I'll need to do some research, but I'm guessing that there will be two outputs? One for 6m and one for HF?

Yea, that's why I might just do like Zappa said and get an HF Rig with 6m. I'll need to do some research, but I'm guessing that there will be two outputs? One for 6m and one for HF?

I found a used Yaesu FT-450AT. It runs from 160m to 6m in all modes, has the built in antenna tuner and seems to have decent features. You can buy it new for about $800. I've seen a few in the $550 to $650 range. I can't wait for the thing to arrive. I bought it from some old timer in PA. Had a nice conversation with him on the phone.
I need to get an antenna installed. If it warms up I'll do that in the next week or so.
I also need to find a vhf/uhf rig. Maybe I'll go to The Ham Radio store in Salem tomorrow.
just what I needed. Another expensive hobby.

I found a used Yaesu FT-450AT. It runs from 160m to 6m in all modes, has the built in antenna tuner and seems to have decent features. You can buy it new for about $800. I've seen a few in the $550 to $650 range. I can't wait for the thing to arrive. I bought it from some old timer in PA. Had a nice conversation with him on the phone.
I need to get an antenna installed. If it warms up I'll do that in the next week or so.
I also need to find a vhf/uhf rig. Maybe I'll go to The Ham Radio store in Salem tomorrow.
just what I needed. Another expensive hobby.

If you head up, let me know. I may go pick up a few things myself. I'm thinking of masting a tribander.

If you head up, let me know. I may go pick up a few things myself. I'm thinking of masting a tribander.

Sounds good. If I can go it will be sometime in the early to mid afternoon. Where are you? I'll be in either Waltham or Arlington.

OK, so go HF with 6m? Or do a 2/6/somthing?

Get an HF radio with 6.
An FM only monoband isn't the best way to take advantage of the "Magic" band.

Is there a 2m antenna that will also work as a 1/4 - 1/2 or 5/8 somthing or other for a 6m?

A 5/8 wave 2 meter antenna = 1/4 on 6 meter

This will be on the house...so I'm thinking, if my antenna is a full wave 2m...does that work for 6m?

There is no full wave antenna, you can't resonate a full wave.
Antenna lengths are calculated in certain multiples of a wave

I really need to learn more about antennas....

Yup. [smile]

So, I'm guessing then that tall beast on the side of my house is a 5/8th wave.

When I'm on the center of the 2m band, my buddies SWR Meter almost didn't move...at each end, it's about 1.75/1. Don't know of that helps...

I need to get me a SWR Meter as well.

Yea, antenna's are what get me as well. I have a dual band for my car...and a 2m for the house....I'm just waiting until my house looks like this...

house703640.jpg

House? I know guys who's cars look like that! I have an 8800 and am very happy with it. A friend of mine has one and he's happy with it too. One thing I would advise is to buy the cable and software for programming. It makes it much easier to program than trying to do it by hand.

So, I'm guessing then that tall beast on the side of my house is a 5/8th wave.

When I'm on the center of the 2m band, my buddies SWR Meter almost didn't move...at each end, it's about 1.75/1. Don't know of that helps...

I need to get me a SWR Meter as well.

Not sure, but I think you antenna is a stacked 5/8 wave j-pole: http://home.comcast.net/~buck0/5-8thx2j.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom