New acquisitions for December 2007

I received my MA LTC-A NR a mere 3 weeks after application, much to the chagrin of my friend who submitted his application 9 days earlier in a different town and is still waiting [smile]

Anyway, just picked up my first gun, a Ruger MKIII with the 5.5" bull barrel. Sorry for the stock photo, but it looks just like this one:

280.jpg

I'm joining MRA tomorrow morning and today feels like Christmas Eve [thinking]

no pics yet, but yesterday I picked up a M&P 340 CT.

I will shoot it tomorrow and Monday it will be on the way to Arizona to get some trigger work on it.

striped1, could ya give us a range report when ya can, I am interested in the same gun but I was going to get it with the HI VIZ sight, I am curious how you like it w/ the CT

I received my MA LTC-A NR a mere 3 weeks after application, much to the chagrin of my friend who submitted his application 9 days earlier in a different town and is still waiting [smile]

Anyway, just picked up my first gun, a Ruger MKIII with the 5.5" bull barrel. Sorry for the stock photo, but it looks just like this one:

280.jpg

I'm joining MRA tomorrow morning and today feels like Christmas Eve [thinking]

I have one and you're gonna love it. [smile]

That's very slick. Any sense yet for what the recoil is like?

Not yet, but it shouldn't be that bad. The pistol it all stainless and fairly heavy and if I am not mistaken it has a modified browning design that uses some of the gasses similar to the Automag 2. I remember reading an article on them in G&A when they first came out many years ago but I don't remember all the details.

Not yet, but it shouldn't be that bad. The pistol it all stainless and fairly heavy and if I am not mistaken it has a modified browning design that uses some of the gasses similar to the Automag 2. I remember reading an article on them in G&A when they first came out many years ago but I don't remember all the details.

I had no idea that a .30 carbine pistol existed. I know there was a Ruger revolver in .30 carbine. If you don't mind me asking, where did you find that?

I walked into Pheasant ridge yesterday, hadn't been there in a while and there it was. Unfortunately IAI/AMT was never a huge success. There was one other auto pistol chambered for the 30 carbine that I know of and that was the Kimball, and that never went anywhere either.
I think the reason the 30 carbine pistol was never succesful was because what would you use it for. The pistol is a tad large for CCW and I don't think the 30 carbine is a great hunting round.

Last edited:
I walked into Pheasant ridge yesterday, hadn't been there in a while and there it was. Unfortunately IAI/AMT was never a huge success. There was one other auto pistol chambered for the 30 carbine that I know of and that was the Kimball, and that never went anywhere either.
I think the reason the 30 carbine pistol was never succesful was because what would you use it for. The pistol is a tad large for CCW and I don't think the 30 carbine is a great hunting round.

Definitely one for the collection there... great find! I'd love to try shooting that.
On a related note... I'm surprised Fred doesn't have one but maybe he will after reading this thread.[laugh]

Definitely one for the collection there... great find! I'd love to try shooting that.
On a related note... I'm surprised Fred doesn't have one but maybe he will after reading this thread.[laugh]

Were not far away from each other, maybe sometime in the next few weeks we could meet at your range or mine and you can give it a go.

And, everything is always or sale....[laugh]

This is my latest addition. It's an S&W 627 Performance Center 8-shot revolver in .357. I had one before and sold it and always regretted it so I bought a new one. This one needs work on the trigger as my other gun was great. Anyways, here are a couple pics:

untitled02.jpg

untitled01.jpg

Pete

Thanks, the wheelguns are a ton of fun... Mark I noticed you have a few wheelguns now... Nothing wrong with that. It won't get a ton of use but will be a fun toy.

Pete

Hey Milsurps, where'd you get such a good deal? Will that SKS shoot?

Not really at liberty to say here. I will say it was advertised as a parts gun from a mail order company that honors C&R licenses. I took it apart at work today and it was free of cosmolene. It just had some oil and a lot of dirt. Looked as if it was just pulled out of a soldiers hands in Yugoslavia and mailed to me.
Inspection revealed nothing that looks bad. Gas valve may need replacing because its pretty crusty but those are cheap enough if it proves to be worn. The 59/66 rifles all have good muzzle crowns due to the grenade launcher protecting them from cleaning rods. This one has a good to very good bore so it should be a good shooter.
I have another with carvings coming tomorrow.[smile]

Last edited:
I missed the first one because I aimed as if it was my 637 and it was thus not on the plate. I think the groups will tighten up quite a bit once I get some more range time with it. I can't wait to get out again with this and try it at 25 yards:
taurus_target.jpg

I don't think you missed that first shot. It looks like you just caught the edge of the plate at between 4 and 5 oclock. That is darn good shooting with a short barrel if you didn't sandbag it. Don't be discouraged if things get a bit trickier at 25 yards. Good looking gun too. Do you think hotter loads will make a differance, most of the power is going to be burning in the air if at all isn't it with such a short barrel?

I don't think you missed that first shot. It looks like you just caught the edge of the plate at between 4 and 5 oclock. That is darn good shooting with a short barrel if you didn't sandbag it. Don't be discouraged if things get a bit trickier at 25 yards. Good looking gun too. Do you think hotter loads will make a differance, most of the power is going to be burning in the air if at all isn't it with such a short barrel?

Yeah, I caught that shot after I posted it. All the shots are off hand -- I shot its predecessor -- a S&W 637, more than any other gun I own -- from 15 out to about 50 yards, but my limit for consistency off-hand was about 25 yards onto a 9 inch plate. This one I guarantee will see as much or more use.

On the loads, there's a little bit of impracticality in it -- I'm going to be after the biggest fireball and loudest bang I can (repeatedly) get out of the little beast.

Back
Top Bottom