NH gun owners - what do you do when in MA?

I live in So. NH and often find myself over the border in Mass. I also carry..

I just recently scanned over the gun laws for Mass., and it seems they are almost to the point where they want to register every damn bullet.

Carrying is such a common thing up here; it is easy to find yourself in Mass. while in the course of a normal day. And Mass. laws are not reciprocal with NH.

My question to other NH residents who regularly carry, what do you do when you find yourself in Mass., and you are ccw? I would hate to lose any of my rights by some unintentional misstep.

Thanks.

You'd also lose your freedom if caught in MA, it's a felony and one that DAs love to prosecute as it shows that they are "tough on crime" and puts another notch in their political belts.

You'd be more likely to do hard time in MA for this than if you robbed someone. Sad but true.

I stay the hell out of Massachusetts unless its absolutly necessary for me to go there.

This right here is pretty much how I work, too. When I head up to my place in Sebago, ME, I usually take the long way up towards North Conway and then over, just to avoid driving through the Commiewealth.

I agree 100% Massachusetts does blow, but the pay rates are good [wink]

The state in itself is decent, its the shills that vote in the wacko nut jobs who make the
( WRONG ) decisions,that is the real problem here in mass.

We are in desperate need of a house cleaning for sure here in the CONmonwealth.

I agree 100% Massachusetts does blow, but the pay rates are good [wink]

The state in itself is decent, its the shills that vote in the wacko nut jobs who make the
( WRONG ) decisions,that is the real problem here in mass.

We are in desperate need of a house cleaning for sure here in the CONmonwealth.
Well, we did get off to a good start for 2010. Scott Brown beat out liberal Democrat Martha Coakley.[smile]

I pretty much treat MA the same way I treat Canada or any other foreign country. I don't casually just "shoot across the border" into MA for anything. If/when it occurs, it's a planned event. I stop, think about what I have on me (Am I carrying? Do I have a knife?), or in the car (OC?), and when I'm sure I can pass any "screening" that might occur, say due to a traffic stop, I go about my business quickly. The only thing I don't do is make sure my liquids are limited to 3 oz and in a clear plastic bag.

Yup, I try to plan my day and, if a trip into MA is ABSOLUTELY necessary, I leave the ccw at home. Going to try for a non-res soon as I sometimes find myself in SNH and it would be convenient to shoot across the border for various errands, etc. I once had to make a hasty U-turn on the highway (yes, using the unauthorized cop-way across the median) to avoid inadvertently crossing the border!

Once I leave this place I will never again set foot in this Hellhole if I have a choice in the matter. Thankfully my in-laws will be up in Maine before too long so I won't have to fly here.

You'd also lose your freedom if caught in MA, it's a felony and one that DAs love to prosecute as it shows that they are "tough on crime" and puts another notch in their political belts.

You'd be more likely to do hard time in MA for this than if you robbed someone. Sad but true.

This is exactly what I want to avoid...Murphy's Law. I guess the best thing to do is leave it at home if possible. Or if not, I'll hide it in the trunk, unloaded, until I get back home.

I have to agree with the sentiments launched by MrTwigg ...I simply steer clear of Massachusetts if at all possible. I hate having to "scrub" my vehicle every time I travel through, but it's necessary. I would not want a piece of brass (and there are always shells around), reloading equipment, reloading books, or any related materials bouncing around the back deck in my pickup were I pulled over for any reason in MA. It would almost certainly spark a few questions if not a looksee ...not worth it.

And if I need to travel into the MA, I have trigger locks and lockable storage handy. DO NOT carry in MA without the proper licensing. As mentioned, you'd be better off having knocked over a 7-Eleven.

This actually brings up a question I had. I have family in Mass. If I know I am going to visit them, I leave my hardware at home.

What got me to wondering was what if something came up where I was away from home and had to go to a relatives house for something urgent. What do I have to do with my hardware to be legal while in MA, or is there any way to legally have something in that car without a MA permit of some kind?

What do I have to do with my hardware to be legal while in MA, or is there any way to legally have something in that car without a MA permit of some kind
?

There isn't any way to do this legally without an MA nonresident LTC, assuming we're
talking about a handgun or EBR here.... Normally FOPA would cover you passing
through, but if MA is an endpoint of your journey, then FOPA does not apply.

-Mike

Chapter 140: Section 131G. Carrying of firearms by non-residents; conditions

Section 131G. Any person who is not a resident of the commonwealth may carry a pistol or revolver in or through the commonwealth for the purpose of taking part in a pistol or revolver competition or attending any meeting or exhibition of any organized group of firearm collectors or for the purpose of hunting; provided, that such person is a resident of the United States and has a permit or license to carry firearms issued under the laws of any state, district or territory thereof which has licensing requirements which prohibit the issuance of permits or licenses to persons who have been convicted of a felony or who have been convicted of the unlawful use, possession or sale of narcotic or harmful drugs; provided, further, that in the case of a person traveling in or through the commonwealth for the purpose of hunting, he has on his person a hunting or sporting license issued by the commonwealth or by the state of his destination. Police officers and other peace officers of any state, territory or jurisdiction within the United States duly authorized to possess firearms by the laws thereof shall, for the purposes of this section, be deemed to have a permit or license to carry firearms as described in this section.

Assuming that you're talking about a pistol or revolver (handgun).

Otherwise:

more MGL

If the situations described in the law do not apply, the non-resident citizen must apply for a temporary non-resident LTC.

Last edited:
I have the same problem south of the border..I try to avoid Mass but usually venture over for cheaper gas...It pisses me off I can't carry there..I don't feel like spending 100$, plus a drive up there per year and then having to buy 10 rd mags or pre ban mags just to carry there....and then my friends from Mass simply send an app and get a CT permit a couple weeks later..its BS..

This is exactly what I want to avoid...Murphy's Law. I guess the best thing to do is leave it at home if possible. Or if not, I'll hide it in the trunk, unloaded, until I get back home.

Still a felony unless you do NOT stop in MA for anything.

I have to agree with the sentiments launched by MrTwigg ...I simply steer clear of Massachusetts if at all possible. I hate having to "scrub" my vehicle every time I travel through, but it's necessary. I would not want a piece of brass (and there are always shells around), reloading equipment, reloading books, or any related materials bouncing around the back deck in my pickup were I pulled over for any reason in MA. It would almost certainly spark a few questions if not a looksee ...not worth it.

And if I need to travel into the MA, I have trigger locks and lockable storage handy. DO NOT carry in MA without the proper licensing. As mentioned, you'd be better off having knocked over a 7-Eleven.

Again see my comments above.

This actually brings up a question I had. I have family in Mass. If I know I am going to visit them, I leave my hardware at home.

What got me to wondering was what if something came up where I was away from home and had to go to a relatives house for something urgent. What do I have to do with my hardware to be legal while in MA, or is there any way to legally have something in that car without a MA permit of some kind?

Nope, no legal way w/o NR LTC.

I am right on the border by I-93 but I do my best to never go into MA and make sure I know exactly what roads cross into MA. On the rare occasions I do have to cross the border I just leave my carry gun at home (and double check I haven't left a range bag or loose ammo etc in the car)

My question to other NH residents who regularly carry, what do you do when you find yourself in Mass., and you are ccw? I would hate to lose any of my rights by some unintentional misstep.

Thanks.

I don't bat an eye at crossing the border, but to prevent any legal problems I went through the trouble of getting a MA non-res LTC and renew it once a year.

I think it's ironic that a licensed person from MA can open carry in NH for free and up until recently could get a ccw permit really cheap. Although $100 for 4(?) years isn't to bad either.

That must really piss you guys off. It will when I move up there.

Back
Top Bottom