Non-resident CCW?

Considering it's taking forever, is it possible to get a Non-Resident that's only good for less than six months? Does it renew on your birthday like the resident?

I wonder how many people get their Non-Resident and then immediately file their renewal to hopefully prevent the lag in approval.

I see this could be an area where the state could be sued over the delay.

Considering it's taking forever, is it possible to get a Non-Resident that's only good for less than six months? Does it renew on your birthday like the resident?

I wonder how many people get their Non-Resident and then immediately file their renewal to hopefully prevent the lag in approval.

I see this could be an area where the state could be sued over the delay.

The whole process is an unconscionable defacto denial of a Constitutional right by making the process as onerous as possible.

If courts can find that people are being deprived of their "civil rights" by being required to show ID prior to voting, then there is no intellectually honest reason why this should be allowed to stand.

It's been over 6 months for me, I tried calling and get the usual run around. I haven't even had my interview yet, which leads me to speculate that I still have 3 months to go. Here is the question, should I apply for a renewal when I get it? I don't want to have the years overlap, considering it's $100 to exercise my right in MA [thinking].

Noxin,

Here is my thought. If you continue to carry on an expired non-resident license you risks are low. (Calling LenS for confirmation) If memory serves me right, carrying on an expired license or in excess of your licenses restrictions are both fairly minor items.

So if you are a non-resident, its no big deal.

Remember that for Residents, it IS a big deal because if anything happens they may revoke your LTC which means that for all intents and purposes you can never own firearms in your home state again. This may include the seizure of all of your firearms from your home. Which is a significantly bad thing.

If anything happens while a non-resident is carrying on an expired license, you will be subject to what ever penalties are associated with that infraction. You may lose that one gun, and your license may be revoked. Not such a bad thing if MA is not your home state.

In conclusion, my thoughts are this. If you are a non-resident and you put your renewal in in a timely manner (6 months?) or if you tried to renew at an early time and were turned away (get it in writing), and your license expires, the risks to continued carrying within the Commonwealth are minimal. I'd certainly not advocate it, but the risks seem inconsequential.

Don

Wow that's some Bull****. There must be an exception for competitions. My buddy shoots. USPA in MA. I think he uses 21 round mags. Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

No, there isn't any exception. I suspect that some non-resident gun owners are either not aware of the law or choose to ignore it.

I suspect that some non-resident gun owners are either not aware of the law or choose to ignore it.

^This, I can't count how many times I've been up to MFS and see people from RI there with standard capacity "post ban" magazines and AR's for that matter that don't have a non-res permit.

No, there isn't any exception. I suspect that some non-resident gun owners are either not aware of the law or choose to ignore it.

Thats not actually right.

There IS an exception. But the conditions under which the exception would apply are so rigorous that almost no other state's citizen would qualify.

The other thing is that the only people who talk about this are people on boards like this. The reality is that if you ask a MA cop about a competition exception, they will tell you it exists.

Thats not actually right.

There IS an exception. But the conditions under which the exception would apply are so rigorous that almost no other state's citizen would qualify.

The other thing is that the only people who talk about this are people on boards like this. The reality is that if you ask a MA cop about a competition exception, they will tell you it exists.

Why would you talk to a cop to begin with? They are more often than not, the source of incorrect information.

The problem comes after the word "provided"

Section 131G. Any person who is not a resident of the commonwealth may carry a pistol or revolver in or through the commonwealth for the purpose of taking part in a pistol or revolver competition or attending any meeting or exhibition of any organized group of firearm collectors or for the purpose of hunting; provided, that such person is a resident of the United States and has a permit or license to carry firearms issued under the laws of any state, district or territory thereof which has licensing requirements which prohibit the issuance of permits or licenses to persons who have been convicted of a felony or who have been convicted of the unlawful use, possession or sale of narcotic or harmful drugs;

Simplified, it reads like this:

Section 131G. Any person who is not a resident of the commonwealth may carry a pistol or revolver in or through the commonwealth for the purpose of taking part in a pistol or revolver competition provided, that such person has license to carry firearms issued under the laws of any state, which has licensing requirements which prohibit the issuance licenses to persons who have been convicted of a felony or who have been convicted of the unlawful use, possession or sale of narcotic or harmful drugs;

Apparently, most states don't prohibit under these terms.

Why would you talk to a cop to begin with? They are more often than not, the source of incorrect information.

You aren't getting it Mike.

The purpose of talking to a cop is not to find out what the law is, but to find out what cops think.

Arrests are made by cops, and what they think matters. What they think doesn't change the law, but it changes the risk. My point was that on a practical level, if you are a law abiding citizen, you put your guns in the trunk, you print out a match flyer, and you drive to HSC for a USPSA match, your risk is very very low.

Are you breaking the law? Probably simply because its unlikely that your state meets the requirements of the competition exclusion.

Mass Residents apply this logic in the inverse. I am constantly explaining to people that they dont' have to lock their guns for transport.

Remember, the only guns that need to be locked during transport inside your car are large capacity long guns. So per MGL, you can carry an unloaded run of the mill shotgun in the passenger seat of your car.

People don't do that. Because most cops INCORRECTLY think that guns need to be in a locked case.

Many MA folks put trigger locks on their guns for transport. This is a pointless excercise from a legal perspective because the law does not say aything about using locks for transport. But most cops believe they do. So people do it as extra insurance.

Don

Last edited:
I have to ask, Is there any serious effort, through either the legislature or the courts that is currently going on to straighten some of this out, and maybe take some small bites here and there at the more egregious restrictions?

Sometimes when people talk about the law, the topic of legislative intent comes up.

The intent of the competition exclusion was certainly not to write a meaningless law. It was to set out conditions where competitors could come to MA to shoot, in compliance with MA laws.

One way around the meaninglessness of the exclusion during transport is to not be in possession of a firearm that is capable of firing a shot. If you are going up with another person, put all the slides in one car and all the frames in another.

Then neither of you is in possession of a firearm per MGL.

I don't think separating the gun into components that are all in the same car would fly. It might. But it would not be black and white LEGAL like it would be if they were in separate cars. If the slide, barrel and recoil spring were in the glove box and the frame was locked in the trunk, you might be legal. But you might not.

(Len - Check for correctness requested??)

But again, i don't think this kind of discussion has any practical value. If you have a competition, print out the flyer, lock the gun in the trunk and go straight to the match with reasonable stops for food and fuel.

On a practical note. Does anyone know of a single out of state person traveling to a match, with the firearms stored per FOPA guidelines, who has ever been arrested and prosecuted in MA?

Don

It's been over 6 months for me, I tried calling and get the usual run around. I haven't even had my interview yet, which leads me to speculate that I still have 3 months to go. Here is the question, should I apply for a renewal when I get it? I don't want to have the years overlap, considering it's $100 to exercise my right in MA [thinking].

I got an email about a week and a half after I mailed in my application for my interview. I had to request a date change (August) because I am away on vacation. I have yet to get another email back for a new interview date. Something sounds wrong?

I have to ask, Is there any serious effort, through either the legislature or the courts that is currently going on to straighten some of this out, and maybe take some small bites here and there at the more egregious restrictions?

While GOAL is doing everything it can, the simple reality is that we don't have the votes to get much of anything passed in the MA legislature. Even if we could get something passed, Gov. Patrick would veto anything that significantly helps gun owners.

Our only potential salvation at this point lies in the Federal courts, via Comm2a.

My MA Non Resident application was delivered a few weeks ago. I received a letter with an appointment for the first week of September.

I mailed my application the 22nd may, and got an e-mail today, appointment is the 12th.........Of September.

When do these things expire? If I get it in Sept, is it good until Sept 2015?

I mailed my application the 22nd may, and got an e-mail today, appointment is the 12th.........Of September.

When do these things expire? If I get it in Sept, is it good until Sept 2015?

It is good for a year from the date of issue. When you go out for your interview if you are granted the license you still don't get it the same day. The mail it to you. I don't know what the license starts from the date of the interview or from the date they print it and mail it but it still good for a year from then . When it's time for the renewal I would send it in a good for months ahead of time. Because don't even think about carrying on an expired license while you're waiting for your renewal to be processed.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I just bought a home in NH and I'll soon be going through this BS, but that link is now dead:

If you start now, you should get it by March.....

I have my interview in a couple of weeks, and them it'll be about 3 months for them to send it I'm guessing?

It is good for a year from the date of issue. When you go out for your interview if you are granted the license you still don't get it the same day. The mail it to you. I don't know what the license starts from the date of the interview or from the date they print it and mail it but it still good for a year from then . When it's time for the renewal I would send it in a good for months ahead of time. Because don't even think about carrying on an expired license while you're waiting for your renewal to be processed.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Is the part in red new? I thought you had to pick it up in person.

Also, if the new bill goes into effect, I wonder if the bold part above is no longer true.

G.O.A.L. said:
• The 90 day grace period - license renewal issue was fixed. Gun owners will now receive a receipt upon renewal, which makes the license valid until the new license is received.

In other words, does anyone know if this goes for non-resident LTCs as well?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom