Non-resident CCW?

Is the part in red new? I thought you had to pick it up in person.

Also, if the new bill goes into effect, I wonder if the bold part above is no longer true.

In other words, does anyone know if this goes for non-resident LTCs as well?

NR LTCs were always Mailed TTBOMK. Also I haven't read the total re-written (for the umpteenth time) bill as passed, but do NOT think that it changes the "no grace period" for NRs. I will be checking that however.

Len,

As is, per the old law, if someone carried with an expired nonresident LTC, what kind of crime would it be? Infraction, misdemeanor, felony?

If I remember correctly if is a fairly minor crime. I certainly wouldn't advocate this, but if figures into the whole cost benefit analysis.
Especially since a violation for a NR won't allow MA to come and take their guns across state lines.

Don

Len,

As is, per the old law, if someone carried with an expired nonresident LTC, what kind of crime would it be? Infraction, misdemeanor, felony?

If I remember correctly if is a fairly minor crime. I certainly wouldn't advocate this, but if figures into the whole cost benefit analysis.
Especially since a violation for a NR won't allow MA to come and take their guns across state lines.

Don

Civil fine. No possible jail sentence, even though I'd expect them to charge "possession w/o a license" . . . you need a good atty who knows the laws since the police and DAs don't, they just look for a plea-bargain.

I think this is the best spot for my question.

I have been an unrestricted Class A LTC holder for a number of years in Leominster. I moved to NH in October and filled out the application for my MA out of state LTC, went to the interview, all looked good. I received a denial. It stated I was untruthful on question 5. Have you ever been arrested, or appeared in any court as a defendant for any criminal offence? I had answered no. Well I guess I was wrong. They stated that I have two from back in 1996 for driving without a license. I really had no idea that these were criminal offences. I just paid my fine and was done with it, as at the time I was 23yo. My question is what do I do now? What does this mean to my carry in New Hampshire? Why did this not come out years ago when I applied in Leominster or even my FID years before that? I still have my old LTC from MA, can I still go to the Leominster Sportsman and shoot?

Any help would be appreciated. I am considering filling out another application for MA but is it worth it?

I have been an unrestricted Class A LTC holder for a number of years in Leominster. I moved to NH in October and filled out the application for my MA out of state LTC, went to the interview, all looked good. I received a denial. It stated I was untruthful on question 5. Have you ever been arrested, or appeared in any court as a defendant for any criminal offence? I had answered no. Well I guess I was wrong. They stated that I have two from back in 1996 for driving without a license. I really had no idea that these were criminal offences. I just paid my fine and was done with it, as at the time I was 23yo. My question is what do I do now? What does this mean to my carry in New Hampshire? Why did this not come out years ago when I applied in Leominster or even my FID years before that? I still have my old LTC from MA, can I still go to the Leominster Sportsman and shoot?

Any help would be appreciated. I am considering filling out another application for MA but is it worth it?

It should not affect your present NH permit, but the next time you apply, you will have to answer yes if it asks if you have been denied a permit. I doubt it would affect a NH renewal but don't quote me on that.

As for MA, your LTC expired when you moved. You cannot bring in handguns or large capacity long guns unless you meet the exemption criteria (which we will not debate at this time, right LenS[wink]). See post 98 for a list of exemptions that allow you to hunt and shoot in MA.

I would not apply again without more research first. I am thinking if you apply again in MA, you have to answer that you were denied, and MA could just take your 100 dollars and tell you to pound sand.

Last edited:
I am thinking if you apply again in MA, you have to answer that you were denied, and MA could just take your 100 dollars and tell you to pound sand.

That is what I was thinking as well. So I guess I should let my membership to Leominster Sportsman lapse if I cannot shoot or hunt in MA [sad2]

You might call F R B and ask them if you re - apply correctly would you application be looked upon favorably then make a decision. Yes that was criminal.

NR LTCs were always Mailed TTBOMK. Also I haven't read the total re-written (for the umpteenth time) bill as passed, but do NOT think that it changes the "no grace period" for NRs. I will be checking that however.

It would be great if non-residents didn't have to be concerned about renewal delays! That could make getting a NR LTC worth the bother even though it isn't right now for some people.

That is what I was thinking as well. So I guess I should let my membership to Leominster Sportsman lapse if I cannot shoot or hunt in MA [sad2]

Ok, some inconsistent info in my earlier post. You are restricted to non large capacity long guns. You can still bring in pumps, levers, bolts, muzzleoaders, and even some semi-autos etc as long as you are on club property, or in the act of hunting (i.e you have a hunting license). Here is the list of exemptions.

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section129C
Here is the def of large capacity: https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section121

Last edited:
You might call F R B and ask them if you re - apply correctly would you application be looked upon favorably then make a decision. Yes that was criminal.

So I will give them a call and ask. Thanks Len! I am aware now that it was Criminal. Surprised it did not come up before.

EDIT - Called and I have to submit a letter to Michaela Dunne acknowledging I answered question 5 in error and was unaware of the criminal history and ask for reconsideration. I was told she can either agree or instruct that I would need to reapply and pay the $100 fee again.

Last edited:
So I will give them a call and ask. Thanks Len! I am aware now that it was Criminal. Surprised it did not come up before.

EDIT - Called and I have to submit a letter to Michaela Dunne acknowledging I answered question 5 in error and was unaware of the criminal history and ask for reconsideration. I was told she can either agree or instruct that I would need to reapply and pay the $100 fee again.

Cool. Michaela is a very decent person and I'm sure that they realize that the average teenager has no idea what is criminal and what is merely a MV violation (civil). Good luck.

Did you pay the fine by mail, or did you have to go to court?

I did just mail in the fine. Did not think anything of it at the time. My plan is to write the letter tomorrow. To Michaela and explain and ask for reconsideration.

I didn't notice that "or" between "arrested" and "appeared in any court"

Even if he never appeared in court (could have had a mouthpiece do it for him), the arrest record and disposition would be exactly the same and that is what they are looking at when they do a background on someone.

The trap for the applicant is that if its an arrest with an immediate release on a PTA that is then is plead "nolo contendre" (not sure if they do that in MA, but hopefully you get my point) there is nothing to differentiate this criminal arrest from a civil infraction like speeding, to the citizen. So he thinks its no different from getting pulled over for failing to use a signal.

In CT this happens if someone is pulled over for driving without a revoked license. The person is given an opoortunity to have someone pick up the car, or its towed. The person is then asked to sign a "ticket" and has the option of mailing in a fine. It looks for all the world like any other traffic citation. But its an arrest. I'm guessing the same thing could happen to a MA person.

Don

Called and left a message for Michaela. Hope for a call back. Will update when/if I do.

Called and left another message today 7AUG. Will keep calling and write a letter this weekend.

Last edited:
What does this mean to my carry in New Hampshire?
It means your renewal in NH is in jeopardy. This is why you do not try to get a non-resident carry license in a ban state in which they are likely to deny you based on some unforeseen circumstance. You are unlikely to be able to predict what they might be able to dredge up or concoct. Moreover, they can deny you on strictly arbitrary criteria anyway. They collect the fee no matter what.

I have my appointment next week, for those that have done this:

1) Will I likely be able to park in the visitor's lot around 10:30am on a Friday?
2) If not, where can I park? Is there a garage or something nearby?

If I need to get there at 8am or earlier or whatever to get a spot, Ill do that and wait rather than search for a spot and miss the damn appointment.

Thanks.

1) Will I likely be able to park in the visitor's lot around 10:30am on a Friday?

If I need to get there at 8am or earlier or whatever to get a spot, Ill do that and wait rather than search for a spot and miss the damn appointment.

Thanks.
Oh crap my appointment is tomorrow, I didn't even think about parking . I hope somebody has that information.

Last edited:

Thanks.
I had my interview today. I got there at about 9:30, there is a lot on the right right after the building with the security guard. He asks you why you're there, tell him for the interview you can park there for free. There was plenty of room in the lot probably 30 spaces. They actually took me in early. The traffic going through Boston from Rhode Island was a bitch though.

I had my interview today. I got there at about 9:30, there is a lot on the right right after the building with the security guard. He asks you why you're there, tell him for the interview you can park there for free. There was plenty of room in the lot probably 30 spaces. They actually took me in early. The traffic going through Boston from Rhode Island was a bitch though.

Is this the lot you speak of?

200 arlington.JPG

So I had my interview last week. It's looking promising for an unrestricted. They said it takes approximately a month. Has anybody else gone through the non resident process recently? I'm curious how long you have to wait after your interview.

Back
Top Bottom