Non-resident CCW?

Received today, sporting restriction. So now I can transport anything anywhere, (except awb, schools, etc) and carry to, during, and from outdoor recreational activities. Is that correct?

So, mailed application may 22, received notice of interview June 1, interview sept 12, issued oct 24, received oct 30.

Based on that, I need to re-apply beginning of may 2015

Do you have to do the change of address if moving for for a nonresident LTC? If so, I assume to the CHSB and the State police? Which SP location?

If I mail the COA at the same time as my remewal, will I encounter a black hole of stupid?

Do you have to do the change of address if moving for for a nonresident LTC? If so, I assume to the CHSB and the State police? Which SP location?

If I mail the COA at the same time as my remewal, will I encounter a black hole of stupid?

NR MA LTC - yes, you must notify by Certified Mail ONLY (suggest return receipt, keep as proof) within 30 days. In this case you only have to notify FRB. MSP has nothing to do with issuance of LTCs.

Len, couple things:
1) thank you
2) my NR says issuing agency MSP
3) will my old address on my nh resident cause an issue?
4)should I include a copy of my change of address with application, since they will occur within days of each other?

Dearren,

1. you are welcome.
2. FRB is the only one issuing NR LTCs. MGL says MSP or "designee" and FRB was designated by MSP (actually Sec. of Public Safety, MSP overlord).
3. Not sure that is relevant but if so put a sticker on it with new address and copy that.
4. Sounds reasonable to do.

If moving, and I want to renew my permit, I'm guessing I should send a change of address through certified mail before applying for my renewal. I just saw this as if you don't notify them your permit can be revoked or suspended? That's ridiculous, esp if I'm moving in the same state. A non resident will still be a non resident.

Edit: didn't read the above. I guess sending in a change of address with the application is good enough? I just don't want to get it revoked, because ma laws are crazy, haha.

Last edited:
I called FRB the Monday after I moved, april 20th, changed address over the phone. Sent in application with nh permit with old address and a note that nh does not require changing addresses. Also sent a copy of the COA. They said I did not have to call MSP. Mailed application 24th, received email today for aug 20th interview date.

Then I thought about how they missed my NER day by 6 days. [shocked]

I called FRB the Monday after I moved, april 20th, changed address over the phone. Sent in application with nh permit with old address and a note that nh does not require changing addresses. Also sent a copy of the COA. They said I did not have to call MSP. Mailed application 24th, received email today for aug 20th interview date.

Then I thought about how they missed my NER day by 6 days. [shocked]
COA? NER? Please explain. Was that your renewal you sent out I thought you got yours right around the same time as me, I have had mine 6 months was last week.

COA? NER? Please explain. Was that your renewal you sent out I thought you got yours right around the same time as me, I have had mine 6 months was last week.

NER = New England Regional IDPA match that I shoot on Friday aug 14, and cannot miss, cause I think I can advance/place this year.
COA: Change of address. I moved within nashua at about the same time I sent in the renewal.

This is a renewal. I got mine oct 24, and it is good till oct 24, but wanted to have some margin on renewal, so I applied for renewal a 6 months in advance vs 5 months

I got my interview date for end of august. It only took a few days after mailing to get my email. It just takes 3.5 months to get an interview. Hopefully I get it unrestricted!

Scorecard for this thread based on what is posted therein:
MA Non-Resident LTC/-A Applications
MemberPrevious Resident LTCRenewalDurationRestrictions
benlNN
drboomYN7mosNone
sweedEmployment
MaverickNHY
scubadive.riNNone
RImike
DarrenLNN5mosSporting
wdcollardYNNone

I sent my renewal application in around January. I had my interview in April and got my new LTC back a couple of days ago. My initial doesn't expire until June. My new license has a new number and and issue date in June on it.

Scorecard for this thread based on what is posted therein:
MA Non-Resident LTC/-A Applications
MemberPrevious Resident LTCRenewalDurationRestrictions
benlNN
drboomYN7mosNone
sweedEmployment
MaverickNHY
scubadive.riNNone
RImike
DarrenLNN5mosSporting
wdcollardYNNone
I am a RI resident, I applied for non resident LTC. I have never had a MA resident permit I moved out OF MA when I was 3 years old. I've had my permit for 7 months, and now I have to send in a renewal to ensure that I get it before this one expires. That means I have to fill out all the paperwork again take a ride to Chelsea, and give them another hundred bucks. For my Florida permit I got fingerprinted, filled out a one page app. and mailed them $107. I got the permit in about 60 days and it doesn't expire until 2022. what's wrong with this picture?

Scorecard note: I actaually had a resident LTC for 6 years, and had it renewed for 6 when I left, both unrestricted. My renewal interview was August 21, (3.5 months from mailing application) I got in an hour early, this time they had chairs to sit in while you weait, and the lady came down early, I was in at 10:20am, and out at 10:40am. I felt pretty good until i realized I just whet through what happens when you get arrested [thinking]

Note: DO NOT ask them about LTC date overlap, I inadvertently gave them an excuse not to issue renewal until mine expires in october.

Had my renewal appointment today. Told me 4-6 weeks until it gets sent out.
Mailed in application in early May. Received email May 15 with September 8th appointment date.

I will plan on 6 months next time.

Had my renewal appointment today. Told me 4-6 weeks until it gets sent out.
Mailed in application in early May. Received email May 15 with September 8th appointment date.

I will plan on 6 months next time.
So much fail. They should be sued for incompetence. That means that it'll probably be three months between my permit expiration and me receiving my new one.

Last edited:
I just had my appointment today - all of 15 minutes to update info, fingerprints, etc.

I mailed the application on 5/21/15, received an email for the appointment on 6/8/15, and appointment today on 9/29. We'll see when the LTC shows up.

Last year it was 5/17 - 12/11 (almost 7 months).

So its 7 months to get a license thats good for a year.

Awesome.

It's valid for one year from the date of issuance, not application. Usually, if you send in your application 6 months before renewal, you won't experience any lapse in licensure.

I got sporting again, a friend of mine, 1st time applicant, got unrestricted. Need to find out the secret formula for next year.
I'm mildly curious as to what the secret formula is, too. We're going to be out of this god-foresaken place within the next six months or so. If I roll craps, we'll probably be in NH and I'll need a non-resident LTC. Kind of defeats the entire purpose if you get sporting restrictions.

I got sporting again, a friend of mine, 1st time applicant, got unrestricted. Need to find out the secret formula for next year.

I simply requested unrestricted, haha. It's been 1month since my interview. I'll see what happens. I received my non resident in about 3 weeks iirc last year.
They told me to list the areas I'd be in during weekends. List some bad areas and hopefully it works. I work here during the week and got work restrictions this past year.

I was talking to a friend who lives in a CT border town with MA. He explained how he works it this way. But first some background.

For a MA resident, having your LTC taken is truly frightening because it means that if you don't act fast enough, your town will show up at your door and confiscate your firearms.

For a CT resident with a MA LTC, that is not a risk. Even if the CT resident's pistol permit is revoked, you do not need any licenses to merely POSSESS in CT.

If you carry in MA on a valid license but in excess of the restrictions, you are committing a non-criminal civil offense.
If you carry in MA on an expired license, you are committing a non-criminal civil offense.

The danger to a MA resident carrying like this is the likely seizure of their firearms collection.
Like I said above, this is not a risk for a CT resident.

So based on this, what he does is simply continue to carry in MA on an expired license. He renews it every couple of years to show good intent but otherwise just carries in MA.

Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom