NY AG dissolve the NRA Lawsuit?

Wayne has been sucking the NRA dry for years and it has lost it's mission under his leadership. Send him to jail and rebuild the NRA.
The potential side effect is the mobilization of voters who will see this as a blatant left wing attack. The 2A is a bedrock issue conservatives, and this couuld be a mobilizer.

I don't care if someone goes after the NRA. It may be a good thing because it will get cleaned up in the end and flying straight again. I just hope that now the door has been cracked open, other states can start going after other non-profits like the ACLU or the SPLC. I'd pay to watch that one.

Be carful what you wish for....

Last edited:
One of the things I noticed is that in the very first paragraph:

" 1. For 149 years, the National Rifle Association of America, Inc. (the “NRA” or the “Association”) has operated as a New York not-for-profit, charitable membership corporation. As a New York charity, the NRA is legally required to serve the interests of its membership and advance its charitable mission. "

Unless I am mistaken, the NRA (the overall organization) is not a charitable corporation. If it was, all of our donations would be tax deductable.

Can they be "charitable" in NY state, but not nation-wide?

From their website:

"Contributions, gifts or membership dues made or paid to the National Rifle Association of America are not refundable or transferable and are not deductible as charitable contributions for Federal income tax purposes."

Last edited:
I don't care if someone goes after the NRA. It may be a good thing because it will get cleaned up in the end and flying straight again. I just hope that now the door has been cracked open, other states can start going after other non-profits like the ACLU or the SPLC. I'd pay to watch that one.

Shirley, you can't be serious. [rofl]

One of the things I noticed is that in the very first paragraph:

" 1. For 149 years, the National Rifle Association of America, Inc. (the “NRA” or the “Association”) has operated as a New York not-for-profit, charitable membership corporation. As a New York charity, the NRA is legally required to serve the interests of its membership and advance its charitable mission. "

Unless I am mistaken, the NRA (the overall organization) is not a charitable corporation. If it was, all of our donations would be tax deductable.

Can they be "charitable" in NY state, but not nation-wide?

From their website:

"Contributions, gifts or membership dues made or paid to the National Rifle Association of America are not refundable or transferable and are not deductible as charitable contributions for Federal income tax purposes."
All the New York members should file amended NY Tax Returns requesting refunds for the taxes paid on contributions, gifts, or membership dues.

I agree...But Be carful what you wish for....

Careful for what? Where has the NRA been lately? They haven't done pete turkey for the people who pay dues. Here's the NRA's solution "Here's a big plat of sh*t to eat". Oh look someone else won the lawsuit let's hop on the coat tails now. When these people are taking home multimillion dollar paychecks for essentially giving rah rah speeches to get more money they lost the plot. Time for a big shakeup. Let them take a hit so severe that LaPierre has to resign in shame and gets nothing. Then we can talk.

" We are seeking to dissolve the NRA for years of self-dealing and illegal conduct that violate New York’s charities laws and undermine its own mission. "

What?!? I can't even... She brought suit against the NRA because they aren't doing a good job at lobbying for more gun rights, which she is vehemently against? This is such a weird statement. So if they had been doing a good job at lobbying for gun rights, spending donation money carefully and getting sh*t done, she'd be happy?

I think a brand NEW organization is needed. Nra is getting very ineffective

The ADL and United Way here in MA need a forensic audit. One of the past UW presidents here in Boston had an underage girlfriend he used to bring to their offices when I worked in the same building. I thought she was his daughter until one day the elevator opened with him pawing her inner thigh. [puke]

I think a brand NEW organization is needed. Nra is getting very ineffective

Fire Wayne along with his yes men on the board, and bring back Chris Cox.

Can the board quickly incorporate a "New NRA" in Tennessee, perhaps? Then transfer all assets and operations from the "Old NRA" to the new one?

Short answer - it depends. An entirely new organization would need to apply for tax exempt status and have the IRA issue a new determination letter. It would be allowed to operate for a period of time while its application is pending, but that period of time is finite. Then they have to get state approval as well.

Conversion is a process by which you change your state of incorporation and has a lot of different steps, so it’s not easy. Generally, the Secretary of State regulates business operations within its borders, but I don’t know if any SoS would want to touch anything as politically charged as an NRA conversion.

most of the larger "charities" and "non-profits" need to be made to pay taxes, including larger universities.

Most states have rules for charities, she may not be wrong here, especially if its blatant personal use. The only problem I have is that laws are being applied selectively.

It was within my lifetime (and many of yours) that most charities paid taxes. If you were a Public Charity, you avoided taxation. Private "foundation"??? Nope. Taxes abounded. The only private foundation that avoided taxation during the 60's and 70's was. . . . The Hughes Medical Institute. For some reason, the IRS was afraid of Howard Hughes.

I think Wayne is an effective CEO. There are some problems and he'll likely have to step down. And that will harm the NRA more than any $ that may or may not have been misspent.

" We are seeking to dissolve the NRA for years of self-dealing and illegal conduct that violate New York’s charities laws and undermine its own mission. "

What?!? I can't even... She brought suit against the NRA because they aren't doing a good job at lobbying for more gun rights, which she is vehemently against? This is such a weird statement. So if they had been doing a good job at lobbying for gun rights, spending donation money carefully and getting sh*t done, she'd be happy?
Right. If your enemy was about to jump to their death would you stop them. She doesn’t seem too bright. The unintended consequences just might backfire on her

Back
Top Bottom