Oops! An American shot, killed Zimbabwe's most beloved lion; world is pissed at him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently he had a license and he personally followed all laws

Legal is legal......gotta love it when people are tried and convicted in the court of popular opinion without allowing the courts to do their job

There are lots of shitty things in this world that are legal. I don't understand how someone could kill such a beautiful creature just for the fun of it. I repeat: F this guy

There are lots of shitty things in this world that are legal. I don't understand how someone could kill such a beautiful creature just for the fun of it. I repeat: F this guy

Yea, and I dont understand how anyone could get their privates in a twist over the lawful actions of some guy on the other side of the planet or folks that get twisted up over the confederate flag when planned parenthood aborted in excess of 90k black babies last year alone as I understand it.

Seems to me that there are things to get indignant over and things that just arent worth it

True but hunting endangered species just so you can quell whatever masculine inadequacy plagues you makes you a douche. Just because some shithole 3rd world country allows this shit doesn't make it right.

You replied to a guy who defends trump usin eminent domain to steal peoples property and enrich himself. He's a lost cause.

My, my, my. . . .the "it is MY right to carry. . ." bunch apparently takes the tone of:

" But I only agree with hunting if the purpose of it is for food."

How interesting. With a little creative paraphrasing that could be:

"But I only agree with carrying a gun if it can be demonstrated the person has a NEED to protect themselves"

The fact is, a very small percentage of us 300 million 'mericans will encounter a kill or be killed situation in our lives. So most of you "Don't Tread on Me" types would not have a gun.

So, according to the anti big game hunters on this forum they should not have any guns unless they demonstrate a need for one.

Cue up the "It is our right under the 2nd amendment" crowd howling that big game hunting is not a right and not NEEDED.. . . in five, four, three, two. . . . . .

Worst analogy ever.

Yea, and I dont understand how anyone could get their privates in a twist over the lawful actions of some guy on the other side of the planet or folks that get twisted up over the confederate flag when planned parenthood aborted in excess of 90k black babies last year alone as I understand it.

Seems to me that there are things to get indignant over and things that just arent worth it

Abortion is murder dude. We just are not allowed to discuss it here. There are worse things going on than a dude killing a lion, but this thread is about a dude killing a lion. Just because there are shittier things going on in the world does not make what he did any less shitty.

I used to work with a guy that went duck hunting every year. He was obsessed with it. Thing is that he told us one day that he just shoots them and leaves them to rot. Doesn't take them for food or trophies, nothing. I feel that is just as shitty and pointless as killing a lion.

I'm thinking a 'chuck' head mount with angry bared teeth, over the fireplace. Don't let a pest go to waste.

Nah, I want one of these.

squirrel-riding-snake-1.jpg

Cry me a f'ing river, you bitches

Wake up and smell the reality.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you hunt for food, I'm ok with it. Hunting for a trophy is worthy of a throat punch at a minimum. Luring out a lion with bait, I wouldn't mind using this guy for target practice.

So you think the size of an animal relates to the reasoning required to take its life?

Well obviously how cute or beautiful an animal is is a major factor in how ethical it is to hunt something [rolleyes]

If there was anything sketchy about where they were hunting or baiting I think that likely falls on the guides', not the hunter in this case.

Like some rich guy from Minnesota knows who cecil the lion is, or where the park boundaries in Africa are...

Last edited:
To all you guys who are against trophy hunting, how much money did YOU voluntarily donate to conservation this year?

For most of you I'm gonna guess it was a big fat ZERO.

Get off your high horses.

What’s going on there is that a specific economic incentive was introduced that benefited the white rhino population. Yes, this resulted in some being killed and turned into the world’s most morbid umbrella stands or whatever, but by and large, the white rhino population was able recover from the brink of extinction specifically thanks to trophy hunting.

Your social media outrage didn’t save the white rhino in South Africa, *******s like Walt Palmer did.

In fact, conservation and hunting have long gone hand in hand. Noted big game hunter Teddy Roosevelt is widely considered the originator of the modern conservation movement thanks to his acknowledgement that managed use for profit, rather than simply setting aside vast tracts of land for no purpose but preservation, was a viable model for protecting our natural heritage.

Teddy famously stated:

“The nation behaves well if it treats the natural resources as assets which it must turn over to the next generation increased and not impaired in value. Conservation means development as much as it does protection.”

What he and conservationists found was that, to justify its existence in the harsh reality of the human world, nature needed to economically justify its existence.

Today, trophy hunting takes place in 23 sub-Saharan African nations, generating over $200 million and attracting over 18,000 clients each year. That’s money spent in the economies of multiple African nations directly pegged to the continuing presence of big game animals. It’s a large economic incentive for conservation of these species. And it’s growing.

Because a hunter like Walt Palmer is prepared to fly over and pay someone a large sum of money to kill a big, endangered critter, an economic opportunity attached to that critter is created. So, an enterprising individual will do anything from breeding to fostering to protecting and/or providing a habitat for a population of those critters. In order for that economic opportunity to last and for the investment to pay off, many more critters need to be added than the Walts of this world can ever kill. And because Walt and his pals want prime examples of that critter hanging on their trophy room walls, those critters need to be happy, healthy and wild. Yes, Walt will kill some of them, but many more will be able to go about their happy, healthy, wild lives as a result.

Yes, most of Walt’s spend does get pocketed by greedy capitalist types. But that’s the entire idea here. The greedy capitalist types are the ones earning a profit off the happy, healthy, wild population of critters. This isn’t some government boondoggle, it’s capitalism at its finest, creating employment and making the rich richer and all because they’ve got that happy, healthy population of critters.

Trophy hunting is also a powerful anti-poaching tool. If an animal is worth a large sum of money, the people invested in earning that money are motivated to prevent losses. This doesn’t help national parks, where hunting of any kind is forbidden, but it does prevent the illegal taking of protected species on private land.

Walt has been photographed with at least one lion kill, previous to the one that caused the current furor. It’s been reported that he paid up to $55,000 for this latest hunt. That’s at least $100,000 that he’s personally put into African economies, money that wouldn’t have been spent if there weren’t lions to hunt. That’s money which is a specific economic motivation for conservation. How much money have you and your Facebook friends contributed directly to big game conservation in Africa? I’m guessing that for most of you, it’s much, much less.

Lion Murderer Walt Palmer Has Done More For Conservation Than You Have

Well obviously how cute or beautiful an animal is is a major factor in how ethical it is to hunt something [rolleyes]

If there was anything sketchy about where they were hunting or baiting I think that likely falls on the guides', not the hunter in this case.

Like some rich guy from Minnesota knows who cecil the lion is, or where the park boundaries in Africa are...

Times 1000.....

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

No big ticket trophy hunting in Africa means no more of the animals you PETA sissy's are crying over, it's that simple. Put a high dollar value on these animals and you deputize every skinny in the bush to watch over them,Don't and the animals are all bush meat by Saturday. Put your binkys away and your Bambi DVD collection and wake up to the truth as it exists on the ground in Africa. Your feelings do nothing for the animals, his money does lots. If he broke the law that's one thing. If his only transgression was to shoot a animal with a name...grow up.

whole thing is a yawwnfest

makes me think of this

[video=youtube_share;UKaNER9O240]http://youtu.be/UKaNER9O240[/video]

No big ticket trophy hunting in Africa means no more of the animals you PETA sissy's are crying over, it's that simple. Put a high dollar value on these animals and you deputize every skinny in the bush to watch over them,Don't and the animals are all bush meat by Saturday. Put your binkys away and your Bambi DVD collection and wake up to the truth as it exists on the ground in Africa. Your feelings do nothing for the animals, his money does lots. If he broke the law that's one thing. If his only transgression was to shoot a animal with a name...grow up.
Most of theses winers are probably just this new touchy feely generation. Ohh, the Humanity !!!

I know a guy who is very into big game hunting. He has a dining room filled with dead animals..elephant tusks (was waiting for skin to be imported last time I was at the house), a zebra head, water buffalo head, a full stuffed grizzly bear standing tall in the dining room...and many more.

I'll admit it's cool to see but I honestly find it disgusting. Hunting shit for trophies makes you a douche bag IMO. Hunting for food is totally different.

People pay big money for the licenses, money that is supposed to go towards preservation. Often times the tag is given for an older animal that is a threat to it's own species. (Still strong enough to fight off other males, but too old to have any offspring of it's own) Also meat is often given to poor Africans to eat.

I have no desire to trophy hunt big game. However, after really looking into it, I've found it's a good thing. In this particular situation, I think someone screwed the guy.

Last edited:
Regardless of what you think the conclusion of that article was, feeling the need to kill an animal that you're not eating makes you a twat. That's my opinion. I stand by it.

The conclusion of that article is that the jury's still out on whether or not trophy hunting does actually help conservation and even the writer of the article agrees it's douchey (though he phrases it more diplomatically, "I don’t understand the desire to kill a magnificent animal for sport, even if the individual is an older non-breeding male. The sale of the right to kill an animal for a trophy surely reflects the value that animal lives hold in at least some corners of our society: that killing an animal for fun isn’t wrong, as long as you can afford it. It is right to worry about the sort of message that sends."

At best, trophy hunting and conservation of endangered species can co-exist. Great. Still, only a douchebag would shoot an elephant.

I don't disagree with you on the people being douches, however, the fact that they are "big game" and a prize to hunters, is what keeps them around. It's responsible for bringing some species back from the brink. Where else is money supposed to come from to help preserve these animals from actual poachers? It is Africa and all.

He's doing that to get him a piece of a$$.

I guess same could be said for trophy hunters...we all know there are some pretty fine young ladies out there that get all hot and bothered over the quantity and quality of the material possession a man has...and just because YOU don't have a lion to attract those ladies does not mean they wouldn't be good fun for a couple nights. Remember the Fox and the Grapes?

Shit, does Montana have a most beloved elk, Idaho a most beloved bighorn sheep, Wyoming a most beloved goat, Maine a most beloved Moose, Colorado a most beloved Muley, Kentucky a most beloved whitetail? Just want to make sure I avoid those so Mia Farrow doesn't tweet my address out so PETA lunatics threaten to burn my house down.

First we can't buy blood diamonds now we can't kill lions? What's next, no more cheetah rides?

Some people up in here need some education in real world economics. You complain about welfare out one side of your mouths then vilify free enterprise conservation out the other. Bitch please.

Where else is money supposed to come from to help preserve these animals from actual poachers?

The conservation money will start rolling in from all the outraged hippies & yuppies now. I'm sure of it!!! [rofl]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom