Other hobbies/passions/loves

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our maker and glory to his bounty by learning about ...

Beer: Guinness Stout, Negro Modelo, San Miguel. (Guinness beer is way too watery for my taste.)
Whiskey: Laphroaig, Aberlour, Dalmore, Isle of Jura, Talisker.
Tequila: Herradura, Don Julio, El Tesoro de Don Felipe, Chinaco.

Ken

Did you say Tequila or ToKillYa?

My daughter's famous saying "Real women don't drink Margeritas, we drink our teguila straight." Needless to say, she hates Margeritas.

C-pher said:

Wow! [shock]

Now that would be a kayaking experience to remember! I'm amazed he was able to keep his composer and roll back up. I've seen whales, but never closer than 200 yards & only a few times.

Nickle,
I've usually got Jameson's, Black Bush & Knappogue Castle in the house.(only one open at a time, currently it's a Knappogue) As well as a selection of Single Malts, Macallan is the one currently open in that category.

I do drink Guinness. As stated earlier... It's good for you! :)

Have you tried Boddington's, that's a nice ale.

Ken, Guinness Beer?? I guess I've never noticed that, I've always had their extra stout.

Nickle said:
My daughter's famous saying "Real women don't drink Margeritas, we drink our teguila straight." Needless to say, she hates Margeritas.

Years ago in LA I was on a project with 8-10 other senior people. We used to have team meetings every couple of weeks in a local Mexican restaurant. Everybody would order margeritas, until it came to me. I'd always shudder and say that all that salt was bad for you, then order tequila with a Dos Equis back. The project director (a woman in her mid 60's), and a guy from VA (another gun nut) who had originally ordered Margeritas would end up changing their orders. The three of us would spend the entire lunch/meeting (usually 2-3 hours) drinking Mexican boilermakers, while the others sipped Margeritas. We got more real work done during those meetings that anyone would have thought possible.

Ken

threejean said:
Homebrewing!!! Ales, lagers + especially Belgian ales. Thinking of maybe building a still sometime soon to make my own whiskey.
JB

Welcome threejean!

I haven't done any homebrewing in 6-7 years. I used to do stouts, porters and some wheat beers.

I almost forgot, another good import to try is McEwan's Scotch Ale(not the export, that's just an IPA). Just had a couple of those with dinner last nigth. :)

Thanks folks! I'm a bit of an black rifle nut (probably because I can't hit the broadside of a barn). I have a home built CAR-15, a 10/22, and a big nasty FN FAL I use for scaring the crap out of the other folks at the range (it has an Entreprise brake and is VERY loud [shock] . I'm also on Vector Arms' list for one of their classic AK's. After that maybe a CETME.
Happy shooting
John

Interests...

Well, besides what we're all here for:

I love home theater. I'm still in school so I put together a poor mans home theater w/ a 30" direct view philips HD, Athena speakers (bookshelves), Denon receiver, Denon DVD player, Pioneer universal player, and a home built MONSTEROUSLY BIG subwoofer that looks like an end table so my fiance doesn't have to deal with a big MDF box in the corner. Also, I've fallen in love with comcast dual tuner HD DVR. Amazing and cheap to rent.

Past that it's architecture for which I'm in school and CAD with which I make my living.

BTW, personal favorite beer to add to the list: Yuengling Lager as any good PA boy should say.

Re: Interests...

MidKnight said:
Also, I've fallen in love with comcast dual tuner HD DVR. Amazing and cheap to rent.

Oh man, isn't that the greatest thing since sliced bread? I love mine. It's addicting...but my wife likes that I'm not like, "We can't do this that night at that time because I'll miss this show." Now I don't care. I'll just catch it someother time.

I did find out that if you have more than 15 shows set as a series to record, it starts getting hokey.

MidKnight said:
BTW, personal favorite beer to add to the list: Yuengling Lager as any good PA boy should say.

I love their Black and Tan in the bottle. Man that's good stuff.

Re: Interests...

MidKnight said:

Yuengling is the "Official Berr" of DeadHorse MC. Very popular, but then, we go to a bar in Wyalusing, PA a couple of times each year.

Local theatre actress...

Yep...slap a silly costume on me and throw me up on a stage and I feel quite at home in the spotlight.

I also like tinkering with this internat thingie we have (I've learned some rudimentary tricks) and I also write. I've had a novel in the works for longer than I can remember and I write for the local rag and do print advertising for my brother and soon to be another company. I like cooking, baking and decorating (Martha ain't got nuthin' on me!)

I also sell on ebay and have made a partnership w/a local consignment store to sell their stuff...

OH! and I love playing Stratego with my 8 year old (kid kicks my ass every time) and Legos with my 3 year old.

Hmmm...I've been on vacation so I'm late to this thread.

I'm passionate about:

Fast cars I sold my Mustang Cobra a couple years ago and bought a replica of my favorite car of all time - a Ford GT40. I'm about half way done building it. It'll weigh about 2,300 pounds and have a 450-hp engine. :)

Gulf%20flares%20on.jpg

Slow Airplanes I used to fly a 1946 Aeronca Champ...65 hp, fabric covered, hand-cranked engine. I've been building and flying radio control model airplanes for 30 years. I want to build an airplane afte the GT40 is done.

Putterin' 'round the house Reading (lots of SF and, yes, the SciFi channel rocks). Cooking. Carpentry. Building and using telescopes. Chillin'.

Nice cart, I talk to Curt Rodman from Rodman ford from time to time... I was there a few weeks ago and they had a brand new one there. It was the sweetest thing. It was the white and blue stripes. They just about had to give out rags to wipe up the mess left by all the motorheads.

Cycling: I love all kinds. In my garage are 5 bikes now, two road, two mountain, and my latest love, my recumbent. Pure Comfort over the long haul. I've got well over 8,000 miles on this bike now. She is no lightweight at almost 30 lbs, but its amazing how little that matters when it is so comfortable to ride.

BentShot.jpg

For the bike geeks, it has a Campy Racing Triple crank and derailer in front, Shimano XTR in the rear, handbuilt wheels (yes I build wheels) with Phil hubs, and it uses 2.5 chains. Front wheel is a BMX size 20" and the rear is a 26" Mountain Bike wheel Seat is an aluminum frame with a mesh sling seat that I find personally very comfortable. Brakes are XT V-brakes with red cool-stop pads.

Gearing is completely custom and ranges from 19 to 117 "Gear Inches". Gear Inches is a way to describe a gear in terms of the old high wheel bicycles. For example, my 117 Gear Inch would be the equivilent of riding an old high wheel bicycle with a wheel 117" in diameter, or roughly 9 3/4 feet. For each pedal revolution I travel 30.5 feet along the road, or roughly 172 pedal rotations per mile.

On the other end, you have a gear that is smaller than most children's tricycles, turning the rear wheel about 80% on each pedal revolution, traveling only 5' 2", or about 1026 pedal rotations to the mile.

I bought the frame from a small one-man shop in California and then built the rest.

My Current Road bike is a Campy Record equipped Cannondale frame (I like a really stiff frame) This is another Home assembled bike. I just can't buy a bike in a shop anymore. (^_^) Again, this rides on homebuilt wheels with special lacing to minimize weight and maximize strength. The entire bike with the seatpack, spare tube and inflators is just a touch over 18 lbs.

Bicycle.jpg

And I currently use a mid-90's Cannondale Delta-V F1000 Mountain bike. Very little of the original components remain due to wear or breakage. Again, she rides on handbuilt wheels, and otherwise standard Shimano XT/XTR components. Last I checked this bike was in the 19 lb range.

This photo was taken on our Honeymoon along the rail trail to Wood's Hole where we spent our week camping and biking Martha's Vineyard. The trailer has roughly 45 lbs of camping gear. It's almost like car camping with the stuff we can drag along.

BikeTrailer.JPG

For the past 10 years, I have been responsible for ending the Pan Mass Challenge charity ride for the Jimmy Fund. I operate a support vehicle at the end of the ride helping those slower riders complete the 192 mile event.

Last year I tried to do that job on my Recumbent loaded with 50+ lbs of medical, mechanical, and fluids, but found that I'd have too large a gap to make up if people quit. So, last weekend I returned to the van, but still took the bike to sweep the few areas that the Vans cannot go. My standard comment has always been that if I wanted an easy PMC weekend, I'd just ride it. (^_^) Course, this is from the guy who trained for last year by pedaling that 50+ lb loaded bike 105 miles from Walden Pond to the summit of Mt. Wachusett and back.

Visit my PMC page for more details

My other love is 4-wheeling, but have not been able to do much lately. In 1993, a drunk took out my heavily modified Jeep YJ.

WranglerRebuild.jpg

So now, my project is this 1946 CJ2A that is being modified from the ground up.

WillysSide.jpg

I'd try to show you what it looks like today, but the engine is gone, the gear boxes are sitting on a shelf all rebuilt, the sheetmetal is in various stages of repair with the MIG, and the frame is awaiting replacement with a heavy duty aftermarket upgrade. She wasn't a good candidate for restoration as a previous owner really butchered an F-head transplant, but enough sheetmetal was in good shape that it made for a really good base for a modified rig. The T90 was rebuilt with a Novak kit to mate with a Buick V6, the D18 was swapped with a large hole model upgraded with a 3.15:1 low range and Warn Overdrive. The Rear D41 is replaced with a D44 and will receive a rebuild with a Warn full floating kit and Locker. Eventually I'll have a custom front built, but will stick with a rebuilt D25 for a few years. Ross Steering will be swapped for power Saginaw, and hanging pedals with modern brakes and clutch systems installed. Interior will be totally redone to be comfy and safe. Basically, I'm taking the best of the '46 and updating to today's mechanical standards.

Also into Camping, Have had my Ham ticket for 15 years (N1LYD), was NAUI certified as a diver, and love messing around on computers.

I'll keep this thread going:

Hobbies other than Shooting.

Guitars, I own 8 of them. I play off and on with a Country/Bluegrass band.

Motorcycles, I ride my 03 Roadking every chance I get. Been to a few of the largers Rallies. Planning a week long ride up to Nova Scotia and back for this summer.

Hot Rods, Been hooked on them since I was a little kid, cruising around in my neighbors original 50's 32 ford sedan...

Muscle cars, Built a few fast ones back in the day:

71 Vega coupe..327/365hp
71 Vega Wagon..331/560hp, tunnel ram, full cage,frame narrowed 12 bolt rear with 4:88's and wheelie bars
66 Nova SS...355/550hp super fast street car
67 Camaro RS/SS...396/500hp Prostreet, full cage and all tubbed out

I dabble in digital photography, Nikon D70

Then theres Football, nascar, Drag racing....

Thats about all i think...LOL

Ok, here goes:
- guns (no news there)
- fishing (boyfriend is into bass, I'm into deep sea, so we go for bass)
- race cars ( we have 2 super late models, racing @ Speedweeks in FL next month)
- regular cars ( currently 59 Impala, 84 El Camino)
- dogs, horses
- trucks ( I drive someone elses for a living, but I enjoy the cusomizing/showing aspect of hot rod trucks, and hope to have one of my own someday
- motorcycles ( I sold my last motorcycles this year...an HD Springer Softail & Suzuki 750, so know I'm spending the bike $$ on guns [wink] )
- lifting weights

Chris: I just saw this post, and for the last 5 years I have been the medical cooridinator at the lunch stop for the PMC. We have probally run into each other a few times.

Well lets see

computers, which encompases lots of things I wont bother listing.
treasure hunting.....anyone else here into metal detecting?
I have been doing this on and off for about fifteen years, not getting rich at it but it is fun!
Heres one of my fav finds, a 1795 condor token
3397condor_token.jpg

Also like Harpoon winter warmer, beers a hobby right?
playing guitar...which I havent touched in months, love music
but I suck at playing it. Thinking of trying out a bass guitar too see if I have any luck at that.
Huge Hendrix fan, just wish I had a tenth of his talent.

I also am into freshwater aquariums, trying to do the live plant thing now with some success.
But lots to learn yet. I have a 20 and 5 gallon tank set up now with several diff types of plants. :)

second said:
treasure hunting.....anyone else here into metal detecting?
I have been doing this on and off for about fifteen years, not getting rich at it but it is fun!
Heres one of my fav finds, a 1795 condor token
I have a Tesoro Cortez that I bought a few years ago. Went a few times, never found anything valuable. It was fun when I did go out with it though. The kids have taken it to the beach a few times. Time....

Most of my time not spent on doing the required stuff, I play bass. I'm currently taking time off from the band thing to get reacquainted with some cover material after doing an all originals thing.

I love weather stuff - studying the physics of storms and just being in them. I'm a SKYWARN spotter. Unfortunately, the weather in Central MA (except the heavier snows) is relatively boring for someone who grew up at the tail end of tornado alley.

I'm an amateur radio operator - good way to communicate when all the phones quit working and the electric is out.

I love getting out on a lake or the ocean; have a couple of mountain bikes that don't get anywhere near the use I 'd like to see them get; and, want to give archery and scuba diving a try, hopefully, this summer.

I play guitar, collect guitars and amps, ski, play golf, breed, raise and show Rhodesian Ridgebacks, do landscaping around the property and oh yeah spend whatever time is left out on my bass boat chasing smallmouth.

Few of my interest

Hope to have more time this year to do these things a little more. I'm into canoe-camping,hiking,reloading,hunting,fishing,kayaking,archery,photography,and heading into the deep woods with my Tacoma. My wife and I own a timeshare so we try to visit a different place every year. We're going to Tennessee in a few weeks. When we were food shopping outside New Bern,N.C. a few years ago a truckload of Confederate Soldiers came into the store to stock up on supplies{30 packs}. They had just finished a reenactment down the road a ways. Wish we could've seen it. American Experience on PBS did a special on TV last night called Patriots Day. It was about reenactors at Lexington+ Concord,MA. It was pretty interesting. I've been interested in getting a metal detector for a few years. I've been pricing Cabela's and White models. Maybe someday? Interesting thread by the way.

Back
Top Bottom