RI permit appeal question

I just got denied my out-of state CCW for Rhode Island. I applied through the attorney general's office and the letter say I can appeal the denial by schedualing and interview with Deputy Chief Chin. Has anyone ever appealed their denial and won? Or does anyone know anything about Deputy Chief Chin? The letter says I did not met the "legal" reasons for a CCW. Would anyone reconmend just going through a police chief?

Not a lot of info here to go on but my advice is lawyer up and try not to post too much in public forums (like this one) until you get some legal advice.

If you are going to appeal I definitely would take the time and retain legal counsel.

Good luck.

And Scrivener here on NES is admitted to the RI Bar and has helped folks get RI permits before. Contact him for a consultation and good luck!

I just got denied my out-of state CCW for Rhode Island. I applied through the attorney general's office and the letter say I can appeal the denial by schedualing and interview with Deputy Chief Chin. Has anyone ever appealed their denial and won? Or does anyone know anything about Deputy Chief Chin? The letter says I did not met the "legal" reasons for a CCW. Would anyone reconmend just going through a police chief?

A few things:

1. Now, on all permit appa that ask if you have been denied a permit before, you have to list this. Sucks.

2. Many police chiefs will defer you to the AG's office.

3. The AG is anti-gun.

4. I don;t have a 4, but 3 is an unlucky number to me!

It all depends on what you put in your need letter, they have issued on appeal. Most of the time, they issue a restricted permit. Both Chief Devine and Deputy Chief Chin are nice reasonable fellows, but don't just hand out permits. PM me for further info.

If you really want a RI permit I suggest you hire Scrivner. I did from the outset and was given a permit without any problems. From what I understand the initial denial is almost a proforma response to most applicants just to test how serious you are and that large number of denials are reversed upon appeal.

If you really want a RI permit I suggest you hire Scrivner. I did from the outset and was given a permit without any problems. From what I understand the initial denial is almost a proforma response to most applicants just to test how serious you are and that large number of denials are reversed upon appeal.

If it gets reversed, do you still have to list the fact that you were denied on all future applications?

I just got into the same boat, but for a resident permit. A couple of people suggested contacting a member named "Scrivner", but I find none such listed in the member directory. Any help?

I just got into the same boat, but for a resident permit. A couple of people suggested contacting a member named "Scrivner", but I find none such listed in the member directory. Any help?

Scriv was banned here a long time ago. (He had a penchant for flaming newbs, and it got out of control,lbut he is otherwise a decent attorney)

You can still probably get in touch with him through here...

http://www.kglangerlaw.com/

-Mike

PM Sent. Providence is now issuing permits in a 'shall issue' manner. The only catch is they're charging a $200 application fee in addtiion to the $40 permit fee.

ETA: The AG is apparently reversing on appeal. Contact the email I sent, they can fill you in.

Has anyone ever appealed their denial and won? Or does anyone know anything about Deputy Chief Chin?

1. Yes. In fact, the track record for someone winning an appeal at the RI AG's hearing is far better than winning a MA LTC denial hearing in MA district court.

2. Mr. Chin has a reputation for being polite and professional in his dealings with applicants. That does not mean his answer is always yes.

3. Your denial is almost certainly based on "lack of need". A fallback position is to ask for one with a target restriction (that will blunt the "denial history", since you will be able truthfully say the permit was indeed issued).

4. Most people I am familiar with who obtained the RI non-resident permit had to appeal. Getting the approval letter in the mail without the need for an appeal puts one in what would probably be the minority.

5. Many non-res AG's permits are issued with a "work only" restriction. There is room for debate as to exactly what this means, but it's better to get one with "none" in the restriction field.

6. Scrivener (Langer) has both wins and losses at RI AG's permit denial hearings.

going to be applying for my RI one soon... but going to have comany sign off on it... i manage a security co so we need to have officers/managers that are able to carry for armed accounts. but if it wasnt for that... i wouldnt bother... dont want the denial.

seeing im only ever in RI for work reasons... then that is ok enough for me.

Back
Top Bottom