S 2265 (aka HB4285, 4278, 4121) out of Senate Ways and Means (FID Suitability)

Called, emailed and had a letter dropped off today, Wife called and registered voter daughter called. Keep it up. When wife called a few minutes ago, Senator Rush's office said they were getting slammed by calls opposing this.

Letter written, calling on way home from work. Jason Lewis is my senator, lifelong D from Winchester and he looks very liberal based on his bio, feel like I'm pissing into the wind.

So ,waht is the next step here? Does the bill have to go to a senate-house resolution committee? If so, who is on the committee?

wrote and called Chandler's office. The spread sheet really helped, as I was able to voice my concerns for what was a reasonable bill out of the house, that got badly messed up in the Senate. Was then able to tick off the supported and opposed amendments, and express my extreme distaste for their attempts at regulating the wrong end of the problem.

The Aide was very polite, but didn't offer much info about what they were hearing at their end.

So ,waht is the next step here? Does the bill have to go to a senate-house resolution committee? If so, who is on the committee?

1. The Senate votes on each amendment, then on the amended bill. If it passes, the bill goes to the House.
2. The House votes on whether to accept the amended S.2265 as-is. If it passes, the bill is sent to Patrick.
3. If the vote fails a joint committee hammers out a compromise, and
4. The House and Senate independently vote on the compromise.
5. If the compromise bill passes both houses, it goes to Patrick.

I just sent my rep an email about how the senate is bastardizing the bill he so proudly voted for in the house and reminding him of his pledge to support lawful gun owners. Suggest y'all do the same.

Just got this reply from Rep Kulik:

Thanks, David. I am absolutely watching the Senate on this. The House has been clear that we will object to any onerous amendments accepted in the Senate. Thanks for watching it, and I will follow GOAL’s info on it.

Steve

Rep. Stephen Kulik
First Franklin District
Vice Chairman, House Ways & Means Committee
State House, Room 238 1 Sugarloaf Street
Boston, MA 02133 South Deerfield, MA 01373
617-722-2380 413-665-7200
Email:[email protected]

Emailed them all again today, so did my wife. Thanks for everyone's cliff notes and amendment summaries, this helps focus the correspondence, and I would not otherwise be able to keep up with this crap at the rate it gets piled on.

Um, sorry but you're incorrect. The NRA has NOTHING to do with it.

Tara, GOAL's naysayers here (and elsewhere!) will STILL say you're wrong, don't know what you're talking about, claim you're a fake, etc etc. Especially the ones who had every chance and opportunity to attend rallies, meetings, hearings, and to "contact contact contact" their Reps and Sens. but, instead, "had to work that day" or "my kid had to go to the hospital" or (etc etc etc)...

But ultimately it's easier for them to blame GOAL than admit their own shortcomings. You, Jim, and everyone else there do a FANTASTIC job, especially in the face of the urine being sprayed into the wind in your direction constantly. Keep up the good work, for their are MANY of us who know fully well what you all do on a daily basis.

+1 [thumbsup]

Last edited:
Silly question: Did the budget pass and get signed yet? Let's not forget that is where the pepper spray language is waiting to go through.

Called Eldridge and told them there was a lot of goood in the bill until they piled on with absurd amendments, particularly the Eldridge amendments.

I personally accounted for 13 calls to his office today. The aides give stony silence when we mention how truly awful the eldridge amendments are.

This fvcker needs to be in the private sector ASAP

1. The Senate votes on each amendment, then on the amended bill. If it passes, the bill goes to the House.
2. The House votes on whether to accept the amended S.2265 as-is. If it passes, the bill is sent to Patrick.
3. If the vote fails a joint committee hammers out a compromise, and
4. The House and Senate independently vote on the compromise.
5. If the compromise bill passes both houses, it goes to Patrick.

Because of Petersons seniority, and yes vote he will most likely be on the conference committee.
This is one of the benefits of voting "Yes" Give him chance to Kill it.

Last edited:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by ntomsw

Is tomorrow the final vote for this to become law? Sorry, I can't keep up with this whole thread.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by The5thDentist
No. We're still several steps away from that nightmare.

And we will fight them at every single one.

This!!!!!

Because of Petersons seniority, and yes vote he will most likely be on the joint committee.
This is one of the benefits of voting "Yes" Give him chance to Kill it.

Seniority does make a difference in committee appointments, but, those appointments were decided long ago and Peterson

isn't on the Joint Committee that this bill will be referred to....

Joint Committee on Public Safety and Homeland Security (take a look at whom the House Chair is)...

https://malegislature.gov/Committees/Joint/J22

It might have to go through the Rules Committee as well, but I'm not 100% certain of that...

https://malegislature.gov/Committees/Joint/J40

Seniority does make a difference in committee appointments, but, those appointments were decided long ago and Peterson

isn't on the Joint Committee that this bill will be referred to....

Joint Committee on Public Safety and Homeland Security (take a look at whom the House Chair is)...

https://malegislature.gov/Committees/Joint/J22

It might have to go through the Rules Committee as well, but I'm not 100% certain of that...

https://malegislature.gov/Committees/Joint/J40

My wording was off, I should have said conference committee. It was my understanding that each contested bill gets its own conference committee
If the bill is amended by the second branch, it will have to be returned to the first branch for a concurrence vote. If concurrence is rejected, a bi-partisan conference committee of three members from each branch is appointed to craft a compromise bill that will be sent to both legislative branches for a final vote. The conference committee’s report recommending the compromise bill is not subject to amendment.

Back
Top Bottom