S 2265 (aka HB4285, 4278, 4121) out of Senate Ways and Means (FID Suitability)

If this thing gets enough pushback from US, maybe it'll get stalled in the committees, and won't make it to Patrick's desk by the end of the session two weeks from tomorrow.

wishful thinking?
No. We want the right bill to get to the Governor's desk and this one has a lot of potential. If there isn't a bill we'll have an even bigger fight on our hands next term. Best to be done with it now.

Im confused... Why are so many convinced the house will not pass anything the senate passes? They only need a concurrence vote in the house and it goes to the governor... The conference committee is only if the house rejects the senate version

Correct. And I don't think the conference committee can add anything that hasn't already be approved by both houses.

Im confused... Why are so many convinced the house will not pass anything the senate passes? They only need a concurrence vote in the house and it goes to the governor... The conference committee is only if the house rejects the senate version

Correct. And I don't think the conference committee can add anything that hasn't already be approved by both houses.

Does this mean they can only REMOVE things from the bill?

Seniority does make a difference in committee appointments, but, those appointments were decided long ago and Peterson

isn't on the Joint Committee that this bill will be referred to....

Joint Committee on Public Safety and Homeland Security (take a look at whom the House Chair is)...

https://malegislature.gov/Committees/Joint/J22

It might have to go through the Rules Committee as well, but I'm not 100% certain of that...

https://malegislature.gov/Committees/Joint/J40

look at the history for h4121... These are committees the bill has already been through. When you see that verbiage on the senate calender i believe it is reporting where h4285 came from. The senate will vote tomorrow, the bill that passes will be renamed to include any amendments, it will go to the house then on to the govenor... I really dont think there are any intermediate committees on the horizon and 14 days is plenty long enough... IMHO the only thing in doubt is which of the 61 remaining amendments is going with it. .02

it will go to the house then on to the govenor... I really dont think there are any intermediate committees on the horizon and 14 days is plenty long enough... IMHO the only thing in doubt is which of the 61 remaining amendments is going with it. .02

"If the bill is amended by the second branch, it will have to be returned to the first branch for a concurrence vote. If concurrence is rejected, a bi-partisan conference committee of three members from each branch is appointed to craft a compromise bill that will be sent to both legislative branches for a final vote. The conference committee’s report recommending the compromise bill is not subject to amendment. "

"If the bill is amended by the second branch, it will have to be returned to the first branch for a concurrence vote. If concurrence is rejected, a bi-partisan conference committee of three members from each branch is appointed to craft a compromise bill that will be sent to both legislative branches for a final vote. The conference committee’s report recommending the compromise bill is not subject to amendment. "

I guess we need to know what they mean by "If concurrence is rejected".

I am hoping that it does get rejected, and then a lot of stuff gets dropped out of the bill in order to move it forward. Imagine the bill, with maybe 10 out of 61 amendments remaining. Which ones would THEY give up? Which ones would WE give up? Which ones SHOULD they and WE give up?

Who determines this, and how, is the $64,000 question, and where it gets interesting. This is how sausage is made.

I apologize for not being able to read this whole thread, but I thought laws for pepper spray already passed and it would no longer require an FID. Can someone update me.

I am hoping that it does get rejected, and then a lot of stuff gets dropped out of the bill in order to move it forward. Imagine the bill, with maybe 10 out of 61 amendments remaining. Which ones would THEY give up? Which ones would WE give up? Which ones SHOULD they and WE give up?

Who determines this, and how, is the $64,000 question, and where it gets interesting. This is how sausage is made.

in this instance, "if concurrence is rejected" means if the house doesn't accept the senate version. If they pass 10 of these amendments we're screwed, lol... They will be 10 nasty ones that the house will love, and rest assured "WE" don't have any say what is or isn't kept... Who do you suppose will be the three from each branch that would make up this committee?... Ugh. It matters not... The house will more than likely concur because they have to pass something. The senate will not try to add so much that the house cannot get it done.... Imo. Remember this is DeLeo's baby, and that he has said it will be Deval's crowning achievement. THAT is how the sausauge is "made in Massachusetts".

- - - Updated - - -

I apologize for not being able to read this whole thread, but I thought laws for pepper spray already passed and it would no longer require an FID. Can someone update me.
not the case... Defensive sprays still require an fid at this point

Last edited:
Committees of Conference.
11. Committees of conference shall consist of 3 members on the part of each branch, representing its vote; and their report, if agreed to by a majority of each committee, shall be made to the branch asking for the conference, and may be either accepted or rejected, but no other action shall be had, except through a new committee of conference.

In the wake of the Amy Lord rape and murder, all lawmakers were gung-ho to remove the FID requirement from the books. Then they all promised that it was a "done deal" (Hank Naughton's words at AIC hear last August, not mine). Then they stalled and ultimately removed it from the budget bill, put it in the House version of this steaming pile and now the SENATE IS EFFECTIVELY TAKING IT OUT!

FWIW - I believe MA is the ONLY STATE IN THE US where a license is required to purchase or own pepper spray!!! You can buy the $hit over the counter at a gas station in COMMIE-FORNIA!

Do you think we could at least get the name of this steaming pile of poo changed?

It's currently "An act to reduce gun violence."

Let's come up with something more accurate, shall we?

"An act to phark over the law-abiding gun owners, dis-incent further lawful gun ownership, and do nothing to reduce violence act."

What else ya got?

It will be very telling to see how this goes. Either we will get a bait & switch with the House rubber stamping the senate version, or the House will slap the senate and say "wtf, we already quashed these same amendments".

So I heard back from Kathleen O'Connor Ives. I had sent her the same basic email I sent to the Ways and Means committee, but with a few alterations to update it. This is what I get back.

Dear Mr. X,

Thank you for contacting my office in regard to your interest in gun legislation developments in the legislature. The Senate is scheduled to debate S.2265 An Act Relative to Gun Violence tomorrow in formal session.

I encourage you to review the content of this bill and look forward to hearing from you if you have any comments or questions.

Please click the link below to view the details of the bill.

https://malegislature.gov/Bills/188/Senate/S2265

Kathleen O'Connor Ives
State Senator, First Essex District
State House, Room 519
617-722-1604

Ya, lady. I reviewed the content of the bill, have you????

It has come to the point where elected officials no longer represent you.

They have their own agendas, and that is how they behave.

The time is coming where disobedience may be the only effective tool.

Maybe there are methods to his madness. [thinking]
I don't believe the joint committee can add anything that isn't already in one of the two versions, and there will be no opportunity to "kill" it. The joint committee, if it makes it that far, will only be to hammer out the differences into one homogeneous bill...

The only hope to kill it, in this instance, will be stalling past 7/31... Mr. Peterson will likely be outvoted in committee, listed as dissenting, and the beat goes on...

This is like watching a container ship hitting a wharf at 1/12th of a mph...

Last edited:
Does someone have the link to the live stream? I can't find it on the .gov site.

http://masslegislature.tv/

I think there will also be a link from the senate calendar site, once the formal session is listed for today...

ETA: I always knew typing with one finger would come back to haunt me...

The point Im trying to make is : It ain't over till it's over.

The Dems want a gun control bill to pass, the Dems want to keep their supermajority

If the bill fails, they will say it is because of the "Evil NRA backed gun lobby", Marsha will use it in her campaign ads, just like Malarkey did, and they will win in November.

If the bill passes they will say they took on the "Evil NRA backed gun lobby" and won. Marsha will use it in her campaign ads, just like Malarkey did, and they will win in November.

They have the supermajority, the only thing we can do is make lemonade out of the lemons they try to force on us.

There is nothing good for us in these bills, I get it. For those of us who choose to stay in the Commonwealth, our only option is to find and exploit any "bright side" we can find.

Find a winnable candidate, work for them and break the cycle of relentless shit that is dumped on us from Beacon hill. If they don't work out find a new candidate in 2 years.

Just called Ives' office.

Aide sounded like a nice enough guy.

He doesn't know where she stands yet on the bill.

I expressed my support for 6 and 56, and discussed a few issues like FID suitability, private sales and how all lawful gun owners have already passed background checks just to own these things, and that the real problem is stolen guns and gang violence, not us.

Also expressed that I stand opposed to the bill as written, and that I am opposed to the many anti-gun amendments.

I also discussed pepper spray, and that the requirement for and FID to own pepper spray is anti-woman. This needs to be eliminated so that women can at least have that to defend themselves.

He did state that the Senate is "on record" of having passed the amendment in the budget to remove the FID requirement on PS. He states that passed the Senate unanimously, and then went to the House..and I jumped in and said where it was removed, and he said right. She does support removing the FID requirement on PS.

edit

And I forwarded the GOAL email to my Rep so she would know what the Senators are trying to do to the bill.

Last edited:
So I heard back from Kathleen O'Connor Ives. I had sent her the same basic email I sent to the Ways and Means committee, but with a few alterations to update it. This is what I get back.

Ya, lady. I reviewed the content of the bill, have you????
i got the same email (unsolicited) from her office.
tl:dr version of my reply was that i am opposed to any bill that will further erode my civil rights and make it harder for women of all classes in the commonwealth to defend themselves.
i really hit on the civil rights and women as victims theme. they couldn't care less about constitutional rights and gun owners so i guess i have to use their preferred language.
i have a sneaking suspicion that i wasted my time and data on that though.....ives is a reliable "d"

Back
Top Bottom