S 2265 (aka HB4285, 4278, 4121) out of Senate Ways and Means (FID Suitability)

Just called my senators (Ross & Rush)... Ross's admin said that they were getting a ton of calls on this, mostly from our side. My call to Rush went to voice mail. I left a message against the anti-gun amendments, asked him to call me back... (yeah right, that'll happen)

Called Donnelly's office following up on an email I had sent 2 days ago. Aide the answered the phone said the Senator supported the bill as written and was studying the amendments. Did not really care what my opinion was and or that Donnelly was my senator. I followed up with another email with my opinions and Goals list of actions. At this point I would say he will be no help but I will wait for the outcome before making any judgements.

Content of email below

Dear Senator Donnelly,

I am writing you today to ask that you oppose bill S. 2265 as it is currently written. As a law abiding and responsible gun owner I have many concerns with this bill. I support efforts to make the state a better place to live and any measures that may actually decrease violent crime. However, I feel many proposed solutions will do little/nothing to support that goal and will do more to inconvenience and alienate Massachusetts legal gun owners.

Specifically I am very much opposed to the expansion of suitability to FID cards. I cannot support a proposition to have the practice of a civil right be subject to standards that are not even clearly defined, written in law or consistently applied. Therefore I ask that you support Amendment #6 which would remove this language from the bill.
In addition, I oppose any of the amendments proposed with Cynthia Creem.

I am also strongly opposed to the section in the bill regarding changes to the seizure laws:
The proposal would now deny a person who has his/her firearms seized the ability to have the firearms (personal property) transferred within 10 days to a lawfully licensed individual of their designation. Instead the seizing authority would keep them, sell them after a year and could profit from the sale.
To have the state profiting from seizure of personal property like that is something I simply cannot support. Under the current law, the accused will not have access to the firearms regardless. How does the proposed change decrease violence in the Commonwealth?
Therefore I ask that you support amendment #56 filed by Sen Moore, which would apply a much more honorable yet still safe procedure for confiscated firearms.

I strongly oppose amendments #11, 17, 20, 57, 60. They will do nothing to increase the safety of any person in the Commonwealth and are designed to further stigmatize and inconvenience gun owners.

In summary, I support these amendments and ask that you do as well:
6, 19, 30, 56, 58

I oppose, and ask that you do as well, amendments:
3, 4, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 20, 21, 25, 28, 40, 46, 48, 57, 59, and 60

I would like to know where you stand on this bill and the proposed amendments. I am also curious as to the feedback you have had to this point. If you disagree with any of my stances I would love the opportunity to discuss them further.

Attached is a pdf with a list of all the amendments and GOAL's suggested Action which I support.

Last edited:
email to my Senator, Jen Flanagan.

Senator Flanagan

I understand S.2265 is coming up for a vote today in the Senate. I can not express to you how strongly I oppose this attack on law abiding Massachusetts citizens. This insult of a bill will do nothing to stop violent gun crime and will only restrict the 2nd amendment rights of honest, hard working citizens. We know liberals have no respect for laws that they don't agree with (see President Obama) and we know liberals hate guns and gun owners. I am politically active and I vote. Your colleagues have taken a bill passed by the House that was acceptable to most gun owners and turned into an assault on our Constitutional Rights. Do your fellow Senators think gun owners are stupid. I spent 23 yrs. in the Military and your colleagues don't trust me to own a weapon without their supervision? What arrogance. I urge you to vote no on this abomination of a bill and to remind your fellow Senators that we vote and we won't forget.

Leominster,Ma.

Maybe there are methods to his madness. [thinking]

This reminds. There was a video clip of Peterson at one of the rallies posted earlier in this thread (*I think - though it may have been the H4121 thread).

He's shown saying something like "August 1st I will kill the bill"

Maybe he has some kind of plan we are not aware of? [wishfull thinking]

Tap

Just called my senator's office (McGee). Pretty much a non-response...aide couldn't tell me his position on much of anything in relation to this bill. Also no response from him to my email a couple days ago...guess he isn't too worried about my vote.

Just called my senator's office (McGee). Pretty much a non-response...aide couldn't tell me his position on much of anything in relation to this bill. Also no response from him to my email a couple days ago...guess he isn't too worried about my vote.

I know the feeling, I received and auto response from my elected official as well.

giphy.gif

I know the feeling, I received and auto response from my elected official as well.

giphy.gif
I haven't even gotten a **** you yet from mine

- - - Updated - - -

Aaron[MA];4030264 said:
This reminds. There was a video clip of Peterson at one of the rallies posted earlier in this thread (*I think - though it may have been the H4121 thread).

Tap
if the bill was not passed by july 31st, one vote from him could kill it

not sure how it works since it technically passed the house already though

Just emailed and called Ives. Hopefully she is listening. My rep Dizoglia voted no on teh house bill......I told Ives aid Dizoglia has earned my respect due to her stnace on this legislation and that I and many many of my fire arm owning friends are one issue voters and are paying VERY close attention. Don't know if it does any good.....but........at least I tried!

Aaron[MA];4030264 said:

Tap

Guess who's on the conference committee and wouldn't have been had he voted no on the House bill? [wink]

Just got off the phone with Timilty's office, they actually called me regarding the wording in amendment 30. Their lawyers were concerned with our wording on it that if the FTF ends the wording of the current amendment might be interpreted that an 03FFL could buy a gun without going through an 01FFL. I suggested that they add in language that would say that 03FFLs are exempted from the provisions of the list and pre-owned in MASS when the transfer is done through a dealer.
I explained that if the FTF remains or as it is now we can just do a FTF with no problem but if someone from another state insists on going through a 01 dealer that dealer even currently legally cannot transfer the gun to you if it wasn't previously owned in MASS (all state laws have to be followed for C&R sales) and this amendment would simply allow an 01 to transfer to an 03 without the pre owned requirement. So even if FTF stays it could help in a few cases and if FTF goes away it will be huge.
Elizabeth said she was going to bounce the wording off the lawyers because they were worried it would open a can of worms or another path for guns. Which is why I said this should be worded so that it only exempts when doing 01 to 03 sales.

This may get pulled, I hope not. But at least I had input in both proposing the amendment and in trying to make it acceptable. It just shows that if you contact your legislator they will sometimes do things for you.

I hope it flies

Last edited:
Called Donnelly's office following up on an email I had sent 2 days ago. Aide the answered the phone said the Senator supported the bill as written and was studying the amendments. Did not really care what my opinion was and or that Donnelly was my senator. I followed up with another email with my opinions and Goals list of actions. At this point I would say he will be no help but I will wait for the outcome before making any judgements.

Donnelly is my senator too. I got an email response from him before with nothing specific. "I will strive to find the best way to support lawful gun ownership and effectively reduce gun violence." At least he didn't propose any of the bad amendments for 2265. I'm also reserving judgement until I see how he votes on the amendments we care about.

http://www.mass.gov/legis/journal/main.htm

Donnelly is my senator too. I got an email response from him before with nothing specific. "I will strive to find the best way to support lawful gun ownership and effectively reduce gun violence." At least he didn't propose any of the bad amendments for 2265. I'm also reserving judgement until I see how he votes on the amendments we care about.

http://www.mass.gov/legis/journal/main.htm

These guys are clowns. They can support lawful gun ownership no matter what, because THEY MAKE THE F**KING LAWS!

Because of Petersons seniority, and yes vote he will most likely be on the conference committee.
This is one of the benefits of voting "Yes" Give him chance to Kill it.

Guess who's on the conference committee and wouldn't have been had he voted no on the House bill? [wink]

Our rights are subject to politics (like it or not) politics is a game. You don't have to like the game, but it is what it is.
George Peterson has always been there for us. He has been receiving HATE mail because of his vote. I hope the people sending the anger, are also voicing their displeasure with the rest anti gun representatives.

Called Senator Creem's office again. This time I spoke with someone who was actually working on the legislation and the amendments directly. She said she'll pass on my concerns and took down more information.

Has anybody heard anything back from Sen. Moore's office yet. When I can call all I can do is leave a message (due to work hours ) my email has also gone unresponded to but it's only been a few days.

I haven't even gotten a **** you yet from mine

- - - Updated - - -

if the bill was not passed by july 31st, one vote from him could kill it

not sure how it works since it technically passed the house already though

if a single amendment or word from the senate differs from the house bill it has to go back to the house for a vote. if that vote is not scheduled before 7-31, a single vote can kill the bill.

Wishful thinking, and not likely - but possible

Has anybody heard anything back from Sen. Moore's office yet. When I can call all I can do is leave a message (due to work hours ) my email has also gone unresponded to but it's only been a few days.

I just get form email and cold pauses from moonbat eldridge and his staff.

KEEP CALLING PEOPLE

EDIT:
Just called again, the guy who answered took my name town and phone this time

Last edited:
Just called Senator Barrett's office... kind guy took my opinions down, seemed relatively well versed in the specific amendments, let me politely rant a bit about the decline in licensed gun owners coinciding with the rise in gun crime since 1998.

Just talked directly to Jim Wallace, he is meeting with one of the senators up at the state house I am afraid I interrupted him, but I explained about the concerns with #30 and he said he would go up to Sen Timilty's office and talk to Rob the COS

Just called Senator Barrett's office... kind guy took my opinions down, seemed relatively well versed in the specific amendments, let me politely rant a bit about the decline in licensed gun owners coinciding with the rise in gun crime since 1998.

He's my Senator too. I was thanked for my informed perspective when I called Monday, but after finding this in the NES archives, I'm not hopeful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYe2T9GFFCU&feature=youtu.be&t=37m25s

Today's Moms email expects the Senate vote on 7/18. Oddly there's no "call to arms" for them to contact their Senators, as there was for the House-capade last week..

"The bill is now in the Senate, and has gained some amendments which could improve it. We expect the Senate vote to occur tomorrow, and we will let you know the results!"

Forgot to add that the lady who answered the phone knew what I was calling about before I told her the bill number, so I'm guessing that they've been fielding calls all day.

Now for the negative.....I've done what I can to discourage the politicians from voting for this bill, but I am giving this bill about an 85% chance of being shoved through. "It's for the children"

Today's Moms email expects the Senate vote on 7/18. Oddly there's no "call to arms" for them to contact their Senators, as there was for the House-capade last week..

"The bill is now in the Senate, and has gained some amendments which could improve it. We expect the Senate vote to occur tomorrow, and we will let you know the results!"

I have a feeling its because the Senate is far more liberal and moonbattish than the House and because of that they expect it to sail through with flying colors.

Back
Top Bottom