• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Service List

KMaurer said:
SgtUSMC8541 said:
USMCR
92 - Present
2nd Bat 25th Marines
Scout Sniper Platoon

0311- Infantry
8541 - Scout Sniper

I love it. One more of us on the forum. Semper Fi!

Ken

Yep, now we've got four sergeants! Although, from the looks of it he may soon out rank us!

SgtUSMC8541 - tell us some more about yourself. The rest of us are former Marines, you're our only active duty.

As I was! My attention to detail was lacking and realized you're reserve not active.

United States Air Force

USAF Academy, 26 Jun 67-09 Jun 71

USAF Active Duty, 09 Jun 71-30 Sep 85

USAF Reserve, 19 Nov 85- 01 Jan 05

Retired, 01 Jan 05-?????

Wow, how did I miss this thread. (Post flame here, I'll start you off, "because, you do not pay attention to detail")

Well anywho, active duty from 97 to the present, I travel around with Uncle Sam's underwater Yacht club. Did some time in Connecticut going through sub school, more school in Washington state, Two subs out of Hawaii, Finishing up a tour at the submarine rescue unit in commiefornia, and heading back to Connecticut for my third and final sewer pipe time. After that I am uncertain, just know that the underwater life is not for me.

Ok, I'll flesh out the profile a bit.

Joined in 1992, did the 92k split, so I hit PISC MCRD then to my unit. Tried out and made it into STA Platoon. Next summer hit MCT and SOI and back to the unit. Over the next few years, I did CAX, Norway, JTF-6 Counter-narcotics on the Arizona boarder, Reserve Scout Sniper course, taught a counter sniper course in Lithuania in 98, did SERE school, Sgt’s course, and then 911 happened. Our unit was activated for OEF in Jan of 02. Spent all of 02 on active duty, graduated from 2nd Mar Div Scout Sniper Course and Mountainous Scout Sniper Course. Then in 03 we hit Iraq in March/April. Now back in the reserves.

SgtUSMC8541 said:
Ok, I'll flesh out the profile a bit.

Joined in 1992, did the 92k split, so I hit PISC MCRD then to my unit. Tried out and made it into STA Platoon. Next summer hit MCT and SOI and back to the unit. Over the next few years, I did CAX, Norway, JTF-6 Counter-narcotics on the Arizona boarder, Reserve Scout Sniper course, taught a counter sniper course in Lithuania in 98, did SERE school, Sgt’s course, and then 911 happened. Our unit was activated for OEF in Jan of 02. Spent all of 02 on active duty, graduated from 2nd Mar Div Scout Sniper Course and Mountainous Scout Sniper Course. Then in 03 we hit Iraq in March/April. Now back in the reserves.

I figured with that amount of time you had to be activated at least once.

1972 to 1983 Regular Army, SSG at ETS MOS's 52B, 63C, 63B, 71D, 71L

72 BCT, Ft Dix, NJ
72 52B AIT, Ft Belvoir, VA
72-74 1/40 FA, 3d Armored Div, Hanau, Germany
74-75 19th Maint Co, 8th Maint Bn, Hanau, Germany
75-77 HQs, 3d SUPCOM, Frankfurt, Germany
77-79 2/55 ADA, Ft Bliss, TX
79-83 3/7 ADA, Schweinfurt, Germany

83 to 2011, VT Army Guard 63B, 63D, 63H

83-91 Co B, 50th Maint/Co B, 186 FSB
91-07 1/86 FA
07-11 3/172 Mountain Infantry

Retired in 2011, both military and civil service.

Joined the VT State Guard in 2014, as a Master Sergeant.

Was promoted to 2LT in 2015. If you call going from MSG to 2LT a promotion. More like a brain dump.

Last edited:
Actually, I was in A Co. 122d from 1966-68. At the time, Hqs.&A Co. were at Fliegerhorst, I was there for a year and then went to Det.A 122d at Edwards Kaserne in Frankfurt for a year and a half.

Regular Army (ASA), 11/67-10/71.
Basic @ Leonardwood, MO, advanced @ Ft. Devens, MA
Panama 8/68-5/69
Nam (Phu Bai, Camp Eagle, 146th Av.Co. @ Saigon & Long Thon) 5/69-6/70
Vint Hill Farms, VA 6/70-9/70
Udon, Thailand 9/70-10/71

Been there a few times. Stayed mostly drunk or hung over during my visits, though. If I recall, it was about 4 hours from LeJeune. Just got up there for something once, walked into the NCO club and before we could even get a beer, the power went out. Ended up in Va. Beach, I think. Got back to our billeting around 0400 and up at 0600 to give some report in front of a Maj. and a bunch of Navy brass.

"L/Cpl, why do you smell like alcohol?"

"Don't be alarmed, sir. It's the sweat coming out of my pores. All is well."

TonyD said:
Got back to our billeting around 0400 and up at 0600 to give some report in front of a Maj. and a bunch of Navy brass.

"L/Cpl, why do you smell like alcohol?"

"Don't be alarmed, sir. It's the sweat coming out of my pores. All is well."
Been there; done that --- Got the T-shirt. (except it was Sgt at the time) :)

Ken

USAR 1984-1992
455th General Hospital (As I was leaving they were turning over as a M*A*S*H* unit)
SGT E-5
91P

Hi everyone: this is my first post here. I learned of this forum from Mrs. WildWeasel whom I met on the "other" site. [wink]

I've already felt real welcome thanks to Les.

:D

joined the VT ARNG in DEC 99

OSUT July 2000 'till April 01
1/86 FA VT ARNG

JAN 04 'till FEB 05
deployed in Iraq

JUNE 05 'till Presnt
deployed to Kuwait

I might be home someday........

Nickle said:
Almost 6 years, it's been that long we've had you? Time flies.

Yep! I remember almost all 6 of it too, since I met him a month after he joined. Some days it seems like it wasn't that long ago, and others I think that it's been forever! Of course, by the time he hits the 6 year anniversary, he will have spent only half of it in VT!!! 1 year for training and 2 years deployed.

It also doesn't seem like it will be 4 years in Nov. that we've been married!

USMC 1976-1980 Sgt. E-5

6831/ aviation ordnance

Loaded bombs, missiles, rockets, napalm and the like. Ran the gun shop for quite some time. Spent most of my days in Yuma Az.

Infantry OSUT and 11B @ Ft Benning, 1981
OCS (Ft Benning) April July '82
Jump School August '82
Armor Officers' Basic Course (Cavalry) Sep 82-January '83
Ranger Class 5-83 February 83 - April 83
May 83 through 1985 - Platoon Leader, staff officer, A Troop, 3rd Squadron, 7th Cavalry, 3rd Infantry Division, FRG.

"Sir, we're the Cav - we're supposed to be surrounded!

My son's middle name is Gavin after General James Gavin.

Back
Top Bottom