Show me your carry rigs

My EDC setup.
Glock 36 in a Comp-Tac Minotaur. Spare mag in the pocket (speer gold dots) and a Benchmade

f66c314f.jpg

Here's my carry rig when I need to lock it in the car temporarily.

1. Unlock and open rear of Jeep
2. Turn box 90 degrees, unlock and open
3. Remove gun from holster
4. Point in safe direction (toward back seat)
5. Drop mag and place in box
6. Drop thumb safety
7. Rack slide and lock open, unchambering +1 round and placing in box
8. Place gun in box
9. Remove holster and place in box

IMG00162-20120202-1443.jpg

10. Close and lock box
11. Turn 90 degrees to storage position
12. Close and lock rear gate
13. Answer phone to explain to my daughter why I'm late picking her up from school...

IMG00161-20120202-1441.jpg

6. Drop thumb safety
8. Place gun in box

10. Close and lock box
13. Answer phone to explain to my daughter why I'm late picking her up from school...

not a bad setup, quick and easy!!! i just unload mine, throw it in the glove box and lock it, that way noone in public see's me handling the firearm.

Last edited:

6. Drop thumb safety
8. Place gun in box

10. Close and lock box

why bother unloading it?

6. Drop thumb safety
8. Place gun in box

10. Close and lock box

Is the handle on the safe where it's attached to the chain made out of plastic or metal?

why bother unloading it?
See bold below...
  • “No person carrying a loaded firearm (i.e. handgun) under a Class A license to carry firearms… shall carry the same in a vehicle unless such firearm while carried therein is under the direct control of such person.” (Chapter 140, section 131C)
  • “No person carrying a firearm under a Class B license to carry firearms shall possess the same unless such weapon is unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container.”

Is the handle on the safe where it's attached to the chain made out of plastic or metal?
Handle is metal, though I'm not sure it makes a big difference from plastic really. The goal is to increase the work factor and attack vectors of any attempted theft while minimizing attack surface. (box is not visible when vehicle is closed, btw)

Given enough time and motivation, nothing is 100% secure. With the current setup, probably easier for them just hotwire the jeep for a grand theft charge. Hoping that most petty thieves arent't interested in risking that.

“No person carrying a loaded firearm (i.e. handgun) under a Class A license to carry firearms… shall CARRY the same in a vehicle unless such firearm while carried therein is under the direct control of such person.” (Chapter 140, section 131C)

isn't this referring to the actual CARRYING of the firearm while in the vehicle?? meaning if you are carrying a loaded firearm and then get into a car, it can't just be laying in the back seat loaded cuz that would not be considered "direct control". i think i recall my gun safety instructer saying don't have it further than arms reach away if it is loaded and you are in your vehicle. any further would require either a trigger lock or a lock box. in other words, it can be on your person, in the center console, even mounted under the dash....is this correct?? if you have a gun safe at home you can leave loaded firearms inside the locked safe, right?? if the GUN ITSELF is locked in a safe away from wondering eyes and hands, what would the purpose of unloading it be?? i don't see any added safety by having it unloaded when it's already locked in a safe.

isn't this referring to the actual CARRYING of the firearm while in the vehicle?? meaning if you are carrying a loaded firearm and then get into a car, it can't just be laying in the back seat loaded cuz that would not be considered "direct control". i think i recall my gun safety instructer saying don't have it further than arms reach away if it is loaded and you are in your vehicle. any further would require either a trigger lock or a lock box. in other words, it can be on your person, in the center console, even mounted under the dash....is this correct?? if you have a gun safe at home you can leave loaded firearms inside the locked safe, right?? if the GUN ITSELF is locked in a safe away from wondering eyes and hands, what would the purpose of unloading it be?? i don't see any added safety by having it unloaded when it's already locked in a safe.
[offtopic]
At the risk of hijacking this thread, this question has been discussed ad nauseum in the MA laws forum. As an unrestricted LTC-A holder, I have two options for carrying my pistol in my vehicle:
1. "under my control", as you noted, which means loaded or unloaded, preferably concealed and preferably on my person. Anything else may be subject to interpretation by a LEO if you're stopped.
2. UNLOADED and IN a locked hard case (anywhere) OR in a locked trunk, which is not accessible from inside the vehicle (i.e. no hatchback trunks). A trigger lock is NOT sufficient.

That's it... anything else and you're risking loss of of your LTC (or worse).

Last edited:
You guys with the flashlights really need to upgrade to a stream light stylus pro led its bright as hell and the size of a pen pick one up on amazon or Natchez for between $15.00-$20.00 the battery's last forever I even upgraded to lithium ions takes 3 aaa.

holy hell thank you for the suggestion! got my streamlight pro today and it is awesome! never even heard of it before reading your post man, thanks! reps inbound!

You guys with the flashlights really need to upgrade to a stream light stylus pro led its bright as hell and the size of a pen pick one up on amazon or Natchez for between $15.00-$20.00 the battery's last forever I even upgraded to lithium ions takes 3 aaa.

I see there is a single AAA there for $19, which has the same LED light. I wonder if it is similar brightness, with just a shorter lifespan. I'd rather have smaller with spare batteries, if I had the choice.

Nice looking pair! I'd LOVE to see a side by side comparison of that .45 next to a .38 snub j frame.

See bold below...
  • “No person carrying a loaded firearm (i.e. handgun) under a Class A license to carry firearms… shall carry the same in a vehicle unless such firearm while carried therein is under the direct control of such person.” (Chapter 140, section 131C)
  • “No person carrying a firearm under a Class B license to carry firearms shall possess the same unless such weapon is unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container.”

Handle is metal, though I'm not sure it makes a big difference from plastic really. The goal is to increase the work factor and attack vectors of any attempted theft while minimizing attack surface. (box is not visible when vehicle is closed, btw)

Given enough time and motivation, nothing is 100% secure. With the current setup, probably easier for them just hotwire the jeep for a grand theft charge. Hoping that most petty thieves arent't interested in risking that.

oof you got stuck with a class B?

oof you got stuck with a class B?
Not at all... see sig... LTC-A unrestricted, but MA law forbids carry on school grounds, and some consider it prudent to avoid carry at post offices in light of the ubiquitous misunderstanding of carry prohibition there. So sometimes I need to stow it and MA laws are specific about requirements for transporting firearms *not* under direct control of an LTC-A holder.

Part of my "carry rig" is what I do with my pistol when I need to temporarily leave it behind in my vehicle. My vehicle being a Jeep Wrangler (no trunk, sub-standard door locks and sometimes fabric or absent roof) presents its own challenges in this regard.

Therefore, I've posted pictures of that component of my "carry rig" along with my protocol to ensure safe and legal stowage. Thanks for all comments about it, and let's take any debate about its legal aspects over to the MA law forum or I'm happy to discuss via PM.

(posting this sans sidearm from Playa Mujeres, Cancún [grin])

Last edited:

"direct control" doesn't have a legal definition in MGL, so it is wise to play with the most conservative approach you can: Direct Control means on you.

I would not put your gun in the glove box or center console, case law has shown that to be a bad idea IIRC.

Trigger locks do nothin to satisfy the law with regards to transporting firearms.

A good prosecutor could convince a judge that even "on your person" is not direct control, so what's the difference? As mentioned above, there is no clear definition of direct control, so the chances of proving whether or not a firearm is under direct control or not is 50/50. And that's 50% chance that it is, 50% chance it isn't...NO MATTER WHERE THEY FIND THE FIREARM. Anytime anyone leaves the house with a firearm, there is a chance they don't come home that day. Whether it's due to an altercation gone wrong or gun-related arrest and it all comes back to lack of definitive law. The justice system is ass backwards, there is no "conservative approach" when it comes to firearms. If the cop wants to be a dick, he will be a dick, that's the bottom line. I know a guy in MA who was institutionalized for mental health issues for a week, attempted to commit suicide, and was charged with a criminal offense at age 19 who now has a class A LTC with no restrictions...most would say that would never happen, but it has. So none of us really can clarify any gun law 100%. To each is own, best of luck to all of us!!!

I will not comment anymore as this way off thread topic, I apologize to the mods:)

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339023818.701640.jpg

Tag Heuer professional
Pps 9mm w/ extra 8rd mag
Crossbreed
Spyderco civilian
Victorinox swisstool spirit
Space pen
Skinth iPhone holster
iPhone 4s
Kenneth cole wallet

Sent from my iPhone in the secret lair of the Supreme ruler of the ozone layer, the Dark Lord Kramdar.

Glock 19 or 17 in an Old Faithful holster. Depends on how I'm feeling.
Spare mag in an IWB carrier. Usually carry a spare G17 mag.
Kershaw folder
Cheapo Ultrafire 123 light that has proven to be indestructable
wallet
car key
watch

51870f5f.jpg

Back
Top Bottom