• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SHTF in Tijuana, Mexicali, and Tecate.

I was being half serious. I do agree the war on drugs has been an epic failure and waste of effort. However the illegal drug trade will never stop even if everything is legalized. Everyone I know who smokes pot on a regular basis buys it from a drug dealer on the street not from a dispensary. Until the prices come down to street level or close it won't matter whether drugs are decriminalized or not.
Yeah very true.

It's terrible for the people there but it's not Americas responsibility to take in everyone from Mexico just because their country is a mess. It's also not our responsibility to fix it. They need to solve their own problems in their country.
I’m not saying it is.

But it’s too big and too rugged a border for us to shut effectively. Meaning, we shouldn’t be dismissive when the violence flares down there, because it will have an effect on us.

I’m not saying it is.

But it’s too big and too rugged a border for us to shut effectively. Meaning, we shouldn’t be dismissive when the violence flares down there, because it will have an effect on us.

We can't keep drugs out of f***ing prisons yet here we are for the millionth time with NESers thinking a wall on that boarder will do anything but be a jobs program.

I don't care about the drugs. It's the people coming over illegally. We have enough poor people here already.
His point is that sealing borders is not possible if the people trying to get through are motivated, even in environments designed to be sealed off on a small scale

If you were a Mexican living peaceably in Tecate today, how far would you be willing to go to keep your family safe? Would you ever stop trying to cross?

Well you certainly can't stop it entirely but you can certainly mitigate it. So we can spend hundreds of billions of dollars on defense but not throw 20 billion towards defense of our border where we're actually being invaded? We spent a trillion dollars blowing up the middle east and I haven't seen one person from Afghanistan or Iraq invading our border.
Id rather address the reasons people come and lower the incentives. If they have less or no reason they won't bother as much. Its no easy trip.

Id rather address the reasons people come and lower the incentives. If they have less or no reason they won't bother as much. Its no easy trip.

This.

There are lots of things you can do with 20 billion that are NOT a uselessly porous wall. Maybe some would even work better than the wall.

I'd make illegals "Indentured Servants" for a 12-year stint then send them back to their home country with a bill for room & board... That would slow down migration...

1660591189696.png

1. Rival cartels disrupting each other's business by forcing the government to intervene in a rival's turf.
2. Cartel's extortion of the government Pablo Escobar style.
3. Foreign interference in Mexico to generate instability for political gain and or profit.
Re #1. It would be worse if the cartels actually realized the benefit of joining forces and working together.

Need to watch out for the cartel controlled govt invading the US southwest in the of protecting their people living there, a la Russia invasion of Ukraine.

Like what?

Shit, just ask illegals why they come and go from there. Not rocket science.

This.

It's a supply and demand problem. Limiting the "pull" factors that bring them here while simultaneously helping the Mexicans deal with the "push" factors that send them out? That's not brain surgery.

"But why should we send money to Mexico?" We're pissing it away on illegal immigrants as it is, and our ROI sucks. Why not try something different?

So what should we do to give them less incentive to come here?

Honestly, the "pull" stuff is harder to solve than the "push" stuff. Most of them want a stable life and the ability to be productive down there. If we can help the Mexicans provide that, we should.

It's a big IF. I get that. But my basic premise is that a wall is a foolish way to burn money, since it won't work. So? We'd better try something else.

I might be in favor of taking all that money and creating an immigration court system that actually works speedily to get people in here legally. They'd come legally if we had the bureacratic infrastructure to allow them to do so. We erect obstacles instead, which makes sense politically... but they come anyway. They merely do it unlawfully.

So I don't think, in the near term, we're going to be able to stop them from coming. I think all we can hope for is to process them faster and get better at issuing visas, or we're going to be stuck with more and more people we don't have a handle on at all.

So what should we do to give them less incentive to come here?

We'll let you know after the government intentionally fails to understand (or even pretend to care about) the problem as it greatly benefits both parties to keep it in its current broken/crisis condition.

Something something never let a crisis go to waste.

When hordes and hordes of Hondurans and Guatemalans rushed thru the southern border on the way to illegally cross into the US, Mexico actually offered them asylum and welcomed them to stay. Figured they probably only knew Spanish, and Mexico was by comparison 'a lot better' than their home countries. None of them took it lol, knowing Biden would let them all in.

When hordes and hordes of Hondurans and Guatemalans rushed thru the southern border on the way to illegally cross into the US, Mexico actually offered them asylum and welcomed them to stay. Figured they probably only knew Spanish, and Mexico was by comparison 'a lot better' than their home countries. None of them took it lol, knowing Biden would let them all in.
Dude, who the f*** wants to live in Mexico right now?

Mexico has nearly double the deaths via the narco war in 2022 compared to the f***ing Taliban in Afghanistan same year.

Mexico is in a civil war right now and has been for quite some time. It's just wearing lots of lipstick that fools dumb people apparently.

I could never figure out the idea of going to Mexico for any reason. The various game shows give trips to Mexico and contestants are thrilled,frankly a free trip to a war zone isn't my idea of a "prize",
How many people died? More than a slow weekend in Chicago?

That seems like it would be creating an incentive not eliminating one.

But read what I wrote. The incentive already exists, and it will continue to exist for years, if not decades, unavoidably.

In the short term, I don't think there's a way to stop them from coming. Hell, in the medium term, I think the same: if I was a dude in northern Mexico, just trying to live my life, wanting to do it in my own country and never really thinking of sneaking into the USA, but then my city buses start getting smoked?

I've got some decisions to make. I don't want to break anyone's laws, but a law that condemns my kids to death is a bad law and I'm going to disobey it. You would, too.

I know many naturalized Americans who came in The Right Way, and all of them are proud of themselves... but all of them agree that the US makes it too difficult to do this The Right Way. So therefore, people will do it The Wrong Way. Whether we want them to or not.

This nation is not willing to be draconian enough to seal the southern border. I know many people here wish we were, but we're not. So we need to be pragmatic, admit we're losing the "battle against illegal immigration," and figure out a workable way to decide where to go next. An expensive but useless wall is not the way that gets done.

JMO.

Last edited:
Honestly, the "pull" stuff is harder to solve than the "push" stuff. Most of them want a stable life and the ability to be productive down there. If we can help the Mexicans provide that, we should.

It's a big IF. I get that. But my basic premise is that a wall is a foolish way to burn money, since it won't work. So? We'd better try something else.

I might be in favor of taking all that money and creating an immigration court system that actually works speedily to get people in here legally. They'd come legally if we had the bureacratic infrastructure to allow them to do so. We erect obstacles instead, which makes sense politically... but they come anyway. They merely do it unlawfully.

So I don't think, in the near term, we're going to be able to stop them from coming. I think all we can hope for is to process them faster and get better at issuing visas, or we're going to be stuck with more and more people we don't have a handle on at all.

We have a family member that came here legally and my wife has a coworker that came here legally.

For both it took years and tens of thousands of dollars in lawyers fees and medical tests to prove that they are healthy. All of which is out of pocket.

It is obvious that the current system is broken and needs to be fixed.

I am all for legal immigration but the blatant unenforcement of immigration law and rewarding illegal immigration needs to stop. It is the only way to stem the flow.

It can’t be an open door. Wile I realized most are good people who want a better life you have to have some control over your borders to prevent criminals, terrorists, disease, and invasive species from destroying this country.

I get that they want a better life for themselves and their families. I would too if I were in their shoes.

I’m all for busing the ones that want to live in the northeast to DC, New York, and other sanctuary states. Maybe it will generate the necessary pressure to reform the system once and for all.

It can’t be a free for all.

We have a family member that came here legally and my wife has a coworker that came here legally.

For both it took years and tens of thousands of dollars in lawyers fees and medical tests to prove that they are healthy. All of which is out of pocket.

It is obvious that the current system is broken and needs to be fixed.

I am all for legal immigration but the blatant unenforcement of immigration law and rewarding illegal immigration needs to stop. It is the only way to stem the flow.

It can’t be an open door. Wile I realized most are good people who want a better life you have to have some control over your borders to prevent criminals, terrorists, disease, and invasive species from destroying this country.

I get that they want a better life for themselves and their families. I would too if I were in their shoes.

I’m all for busing the ones that want to live in the northeast to DC, New York, and other sanctuary states. Maybe it will generate the necessary pressure to reform the system once and for all.

It can’t be a free for all.

Agreed. I'm not advocating a free-for-all.

That's why I'm suggesting a change, because right now? What we've got under the status quo?

That's a free-for-all.

Busing them to DC (and NYC, but mostly DC, where these policies are made) is a brilliant move that should have happened years ago. Because something's got to get done, and until now, the folks in DC haven't shown any urgency (R or D, samey-same). This is their responsibility. Making them confront it is a good move.

Back
Top Bottom