SHTF reading

Just finished One Second After. I thought it was an excellent read. Really hope nothing like this ever happens. The task is now to get my wife to read it, maybe she won't get so pissed each time I have orders show up. :p

Just finished One Second After. I thought it was an excellent read. Really hope nothing like this ever happens. The task is now to get my wife to read it, maybe she won't get so pissed each time I have orders show up. :p

I told my girlfriend she had to read it next. I casually mentioned how I kept envisioning something similar to Herschel's farm as the main character's house to subtly raise her interest.

She said she will.

Last edited:
I finally finished the last book of Remaining series. Listened to it all on Audible. I think it's the best series out there for zombie SHTF. The writing was excellent and the narrator was spot on.

Just started 'Lights Out' this weekend and am about 1/4 of the way through it. So far is a really good read, if you enjoyed 'One Second After' you'd dig it. I will say I am enjoying it a bit more from an entertainment perspective than OSA because at least so far, it hasn't been as damn depressing.

I'm listening to Patriots now by Rawles on Audible as usual. It's poorly written and the reader is only average. There are some interesting ideas in it, which is the only reason I haven't deleted it. I'll likely tough it out till the end, but I'd avoid this one.

I finally finished the last book of Remaining series. Listened to it all on Audible. I think it's the best series out there for zombie SHTF. The writing was excellent and the narrator was spot on.

Willcheck it out. Have you read Dirk Patten's Voodoo Plague series? Those are awesome, SF guy and a stripper in zombie apocalypse. It's very realistic and the two characters are very likeable.

I'm listening to Patriots now by Rawles on Audible as usual. It's poorly written and the reader is only average. There are some interesting ideas in it, which is the only reason I haven't deleted it. I'll likely tough it out till the end, but I'd avoid this one.

Patriots is a preppers guide disguised as a novel. It definitely has some good ideas in it, but not too many people will ever have a setup like the characters in the book do.

My favorite part was the communist cannibals [emoji23]

Patriots is a preppers guide disguised as a novel. It definitely has some good ideas in it, but not too many people will ever have a setup like the characters in the book do.

My favorite part was the communist cannibals [emoji23]

Just listened to that part today. Perfect.

Seriously though, some of the sections are interesting and well done, then all the sudden it switches back to half retarded writing with no cohesive direction. It's like getting mental whiplash. I need a nice participation trophy for when I finish this one.

- - - Updated - - -

Willcheck it out. Have you read Dirk Patten's Voodoo Plague series? Those are awesome, SF guy and a stripper in zombie apocalypse. It's very realistic and the two characters are very likeable.

I haven't but I'll check that our next week when I finish Patriots.

I'm downloading this now. Thanks for the recommendation. I hate burning a credit on an 8 hour book, but I need something new.

I just finished up the Passage trilogy by Justin Cronin. It's a post apocalyptic series about vampires, but not the ghey sparkly kind. The series is very well written and narrated.

Last edited:
DJ Molles (author of The Remaining series, which rocked) is coming out with a new series the end of the this month called Wolves. Sounds like a Mad Max meets The Road sort of novel...if its half as good as The Remaining it'll be awesome.

For those who liked the Going Home series by Angery American, Check out The New World Series by G Michael Hopf.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...d+hopf&sprefix=The+new+world,digital-text,561

One more recommendation, which I haven't seen in this thread is After it Happened (Devon Ford) set in England.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=dp_byline_sr_ebooks_1?ie=UTF8&field-author=Devon+C+Ford&search-alias=digital-text&text=Devon+C+Ford&sort=relevancerank

Have read the full series of going home books.

STRONGLY suggest New World Series and just finished the 6th book Razor's Edge. I like both but find Hopf to be a much better writer. AA has a lot of reruns in his story line and injected humor. Not to mention tons of grammatical/spelling errors not caught in editing?? Never understood that

Not sure if this has been posted before.

Just started listening to The Remaining.

Its all on Youtube. I normally use Audible to support the author but this seems official, possibly uploaded by the author? Hopefully this is not pirated.

6 parts, here is part 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJw5X3o7LD8

I'm 2 hours in and very impressed. Narration is 10/10.

The Remaining is great.

I just started Voodoo Plague series. It's pretty good so far.

I finished Patriots. It got better once I hit the halfway point and felt like there was a totally different author once you reached a certain point.

Not sure if this has been posted before.

Just started listening to The Remaining.

Its all on Youtube. I normally use Audible to support the author but this seems official, possibly uploaded by the author? Hopefully this is not pirated.

6 parts, here is part 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJw5X3o7LD8

I'm 2 hours in and very impressed. Narration is 10/10.

Its a really good series for the genre.

I was given a copy of 'In the Heart of the Sea' for Christmas. Holy crap. I am about halfway through and I had to force myself to put it down at 4am.

Once you get into the meat of the story, the survival aspect is stunning. These poor whalers are floating on leaky boats, in the middle of the Pacific, eating salty bread and feasting on tortoises. The first hand accounts on the effects of dehydration are insane.
Fantastic book.

So now I'm stuck with three series that don't have the next book on Audible yet. V Plague, The Remaining and The Tide series. Sigh.

Any new recommendations? Audible required as I drive a lot and it's how I pass the time.

So now I'm stuck with three series that don't have the next book on Audible yet. V Plague, The Remaining and The Tide series. Sigh.

Any new recommendations? Audible required as I drive a lot and it's how I pass the time.

Obamas books? Those are SHTF reality

Meh, not a big fan of survival at sea. I don't use boats outside of on small ponds, so survival "at sea" entails not much more than a two minute swim to shore. Lol.

Not sure if it's available as an audio(I'd bet it is, since I've got it on kindle), but I'm almost finished with the first in the Boston Brahmin series, by Bobby Akart. Akart wrote a couple of things in the Stephen Konkoloy "Perseid Collapse" book-verse(or whatever you call it). Can't remember if it's been mention here, but I am really digging it. It's a very interesting meld of real history and fiction, set in pretty much present day.

Found the audible link: https://www.amazon.com/Boston-Brahm...qid=1480634898&sr=1-1&keywords=boston+brahmin

Not sure if it's available as an audio(I'd bet it is, since I've got it on kindle), but I'm almost finished with the first in the Boston Brahmin series, by Bobby Akart. Akart wrote a couple of things in the Stephen Konkoloy "Perseid Collapse" book-verse(or whatever you call it). Can't remember if it's been mention here, but I am really digging it. It's a very interesting meld of real history and fiction, set in pretty much present day.

Found the audible link: https://www.amazon.com/Boston-Brahm...qid=1480634898&sr=1-1&keywords=boston+brahmin

I really like Bobby Akart. I've read the whole Boston Brahmin series. I've also read a couple of his non-fiction books too.

I'm on thelast of these now. I much prefer his blackout series. The Bb series is a little ridiculous imho. They have enough $$ to buy the quabin, but they use beofeng radios? wtf. And he mentions it repeatedly.

I'm on book 2. Love it!

I really like Bobby Akart. I've read the whole Boston Brahmin series. I've also read a couple of his non-fiction books too.

Thinking about checking out his other NF books after.

I'm on thelast of these now. I much prefer his blackout series. The Bb series is a little ridiculous imho. They have enough $$ to buy the quabin, but they use beofeng radios? wtf. And he mentions it repeatedly.

The BF thing is retarded. But there's always going to be the few weak spots in any book.

Back
Top Bottom