Target Sports Delivering Again - Megathread

Dont forget NH people got Moose Tapeworms to transmit into humans after f*cking a dog that ate a Moose ... 2023 lockdown coming up thanks to NH.
At least none of our reps are trying to decriminalize bestiality (Linsky)

Same. Mine just expired. Apparently, I had an old card attached. So much $$$ to spend!

My TUSA expired… went to renew and they were having a deal to get a free Bushnell Bluetooth speaker… re-joined for the ammo and got the speaker as a bonus! Who knew… Free x-mas gift for the kiddo

Same I was just getting into shooting around then/2019. I distinctly remember saying to myself why buy so much when I can buy it anytime..... boy was I wrong.
Had never been through an ammo panic before though, learned my lesson for sure.
The fact that you even decided to continue shooting given the past 3 years is nothing short of a miracle. I don’t know how people are managing to stick with it.

The fact that you even decided to continue shooting given the past 3 years is nothing short of a miracle. I don’t know how people are managing to stick with it.
Yea I fell pretty hard for it so I couldn't let that stop me. Although I wil say I have shot considerably less than I thought I would which sucks. But I haven't stopped purchasing stuff for my collection that I've always wanted. It'll get used more eventually.

Yea I fell pretty hard for it so I couldn't let that stop me. Although I wil say I have shot considerably less than I thought I would which sucks. But I haven't stopped purchasing stuff for my collection that I've always wanted. It'll get used more eventually.

Personal opinion/advice…if I could ‘go back’ to 2014 when I started shooting outside of what was required by the Marine Corps, I’d have bought a quarter of the guns I did and 300% more ammo when the prices were good.

Now is a great time to buy ammo.

And THAT too…could you imagine having just got into reloading in 2019 or 2020? I’d have sold all my shit and taken up knitting.

I’m honestly surprised component prices are still holding so high with ammo prices dropping like they are, yet here we are.
Well, even during 2020 you would have been better of reloading, even paying the stupid primer prices (which didn't go full retard until 2021), reloaded ammo was still cheaper.

2019 primers were still being sold for $35, so wouldn't have been a big deal. I was buying off the shelf 9mm for $9 in 2019. Sh*t didn't start to dry until all the pant sh*tters freaked out around March / April 2020. I remember the 2019 prices because I was teaching a guy and his 2 daughters how to shoot and didn't want to use reloaded ammo.

Even around October 2020 primers were just hitting $70/K.

It was 2021 that seemed to be the worst with primers going over $100/K and a lot of places having limits of 1K.

Now they are back down to around $80/K.

Well, even during 2020 you would have been better of reloading, even paying the stupid primer prices (which didn't go full retard until 2021), reloaded ammo was still cheaper.

2019 primers were still being sold for $35, so wouldn't have been a big deal. I was buying off the shelf 9mm for $9 in 2019. Sh*t didn't start to dry until all the pant sh*tters freaked out around March / April 2020. I remember the 2019 prices because I was teaching a guy and his 2 daughters how to shoot and didn't want to use reloaded ammo.

Even around October 2020 primers were just hitting $70/K.

It was 2021 that seemed to be the worst with primers going over $100/K and a lot of places having limits of 1K.

Now they are back down to around $80/K.
Even still…pretty sure I would have jumped ship. I don’t ever remember primer/powder prices increasing much in past ‘panics’…they just became unavailable.

I could be wrong about that last part though…I can’t remember.

Even still…pretty sure I would have jumped ship. I don’t ever remember primer/powder prices increasing much in past ‘panics’…they just became unavailable.

Powder didn't really go up during this panic. The issue was primers mostly due to all the COVID shutdowns that cause companies to lose a lot of man hours but also created huge shortages in raw materials, issues with shipping and so on.

If we didnt have the shutdowns and all those shortages, I doubt primers would have gone past $50 or so.

It didn't help that Remington shut down production.

Personal opinion/advice…if I could ‘go back’ to 2014 when I started shooting outside of what was required by the Marine Corps, I’d have bought a quarter of the guns I did and 300% more ammo when the prices were good.

Now is a great time to buy ammo.
Yeap, wish I had known. Oh well, still was able to find some deals privately through out it all though thankfully. This year will be the year for 5.56 and 9mm for me. 2022 my main focus was 7.62x39 and 54r.

If GECO 9mm loadings stayed the same... this is an excellent value.

110296_1_.jpg

I pretty much jumped ship on reloading for anything I didn't have in stock that I had bought before covidscare. I made a big run of .45 and used up all my components and won't get back to it until things have come down. I'm not buying primers at 80 dollars if I can help it. 9mm is cheap enough now, as is .223 not to reload.

Medium rifle calibers I don't shoot alot.....but have components if I need them and are just saving them for replacement.

Shotgun.....lead and primers were unobtainium for a while, but now are still high. I only load 28 gauge because average flat price is 130 dollars, and you don't use that much lead for 28. 12 and 20 buy at WM because it would probably cost you more to reload than buying.

So PMC Bronze .223 Rem 55gr. is $0.39 a round (Prime). It is an OK cartridge, I think kind of underpowered, but reliable and the price makes it attractive in the current market.

TSUSA you know the place - pretend this is a link

🐯
It is good to have a few boxes of that for new shooters or to sight in rifles.

I pretty much jumped ship on reloading for anything I didn't have in stock that I had bought before covidscare. I made a big run of .45 and used up all my components and won't get back to it until things have come down. I'm not buying primers at 80 dollars if I can help it. 9mm is cheap enough now, as is .223 not to reload.

Medium rifle calibers I don't shoot alot.....but have components if I need them and are just saving them for replacement.

Shotgun.....lead and primers were unobtainium for a while, but now are still high. I only load 28 gauge because average flat price is 130 dollars, and you don't use that much lead for 28. 12 and 20 buy at WM because it would probably cost you more to reload than buying.
I have posted the math before using some of the most expensive bullets, most expensive powder and expensive primers ... you can still reload match 9mm for cheaper than the cheap factory ammo and you dont have to wait for the cheap factory 9mm to be in stock.

I too refuse to buy expensive primers, it is a principle thing for me, but I also stocked when they were cheap. If I didn't have any primers and I had to choose between waiting for factory ammo or reload my own, I would reload my own.

If you are going to spend the money, might as well get quality ammo and the cost of primers shouldn't really matter since you are still reloading for less than the cheap factory junk.

I have posted the math before using some of the most expensive bullets, most expensive powder and expensive primers ... you can still reload match 9mm for cheaper than the cheap factory ammo and you dont have to wait for the cheap factory 9mm to be in stock.

I too refuse to buy expensive primers, it is a principle thing for me, but I also stocked when they were cheap. If I didn't have any primers and I had to choose between waiting for factory ammo or reload my own, I would reload my own.

If you are going to spend the money, might as well get quality ammo and the cost of primers shouldn't really matter since you are still reloading for less than the cheap factory junk.
Maybe.....but 9mm out of a glock to just blast away is not the same thing as a hunting rifle load where I want a certain bullet and accuracy.

Plus my time reloading is not taken into account. Ill buy the factory junk for 9mm as accuracy and quality is not that much of a concern.

Maybe.....but 9mm out of a glock to just blast away is not the same thing as a hunting rifle load where I want a certain bullet and accuracy.

Plus my time reloading is not taken into account. Ill buy the factory junk for 9mm as accuracy and quality is not that much of a concern.
But you mentioned pricing being a concern.

One of your issues is pricing, I am trying to tell you you can still reload it for less with the added bonus of having better ammo.

As far as time reloading ... in my word that is not taken into consideration as it is a hobby, it is not like I am skipping an hourly job to reload or ignoring my family. Everyone is different, but if someone is skipping work to reload, then it is most likely a bad deal and cheaper to buy factory ammo.

Agreed.
I only reload .44mag/special, .308 match/niche, and 9mm defensive loads. It’s worth it (to me) even with my hand press to crank out a few high-end rounds that would otherwise be $1-$2+ per round, and as you say, that’s if they’re in stock. Also, with up standing members like @andrewCZ helping us plebs source powder (AR-Comp on the way!!) and components, it makes turning out a few niche loads much more fun.

Mongrels make good pets...

These brands, I've found, to be excellent range ammo. I have put thousands of rounds of GECO and a case or two of the Republic (steel) down many of my pistols without
any issues. I wish I could say the same for some of the junk Remington, Winchester and Federal have been putting out...

Buy what you like... I buy what works.

Mongrels make good pets...

These brands, I've found, to be excellent range ammo. I have put thousands of rounds of GECO and a case or two of the Republic (steel) down many of my pistols without
any issues. I wish I could say the same for some of the junk Remington, Winchester and Federal have been putting out...

Buy what you like... I buy what works.
I'm of the same opinion. I've shot all those cheapo brands. X-force, Sumbro, that Bosnian brand I forget the name. They all shoot fine. I've shot them in various calibers too. And I agree that not all domestic brands are gtg. I've had plenty of bad experiences with winchester in 22 and 9.

Back
Top Bottom