Taunton Rifle and Pistol Club

Bender

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   1
Hello.

I do not speak for the executive board.

I don't want to put down in writing 'ah hell, just ignore that bullshit', particularly in a focused public media

You seem to be a person both perceptive and smart. Use your good judgement. If there isn't a line of folks waiting to shoot, I see no conflict.

nitsuj

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Curious, any one on here shoot trap on sundays? I’ve shot other places just not here (I am a member) and was thinking about bringing my son since he wants to give it a go, wonder how busy it was on Sunday mornings and anything else I should know before I show

nitsuj

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Its hot and glasses fog up easily. Other than that Theyre good guys and i know a few of them will help out.
Thanks, I’ll see if he wants to give it a go tomorrow, like I said I’ve done it before plenty just wasn’t sure if I was going to walk into a weird situation or something since it’s the first time for me here

Bender

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   1
A few thoughts off the cuff, with the caveat that I'm not a trap shooter

The gate won't open until 10. Not 9:56, but 10:00:00 ... unless a range officer opens thing a bit early for setup.

The trap crew are generally very friendly. Try 'hi, I'm ________ and I haven't shot trap here before' as an opener. I can't guarantee you'll make a friend, but it has happened several times.

If you bring you own gear, shot size 7.5 or smaller diameter (larger number) pellets.

We run a very cold trap range.

The voice activated pulls are sensitive; no chatting on the line.

Ask questions if you have them.

Bring some water, it's stupid out.

Have fun.

From PA,
- Ben

nitsuj

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A few thoughts off the cuff, with the caveat that I'm not a trap shooter

The gate won't open until 10. Not 9:56, but 10:00:00 ... unless a range officer opens thing a bit early for setup.

The trap crew are generally very friendly. Try 'hi, I'm ________ and I haven't shot trap here before' as an opener. I can't guarantee you'll make a friend, but it has happened several times.

If you bring you own gear, shot size 7.5 or smaller diameter (larger number) pellets.

We run a very cold trap range.

The voice activated pulls are sensitive; no chatting on the line.

Ask questions if you have them.

Bring some water, it's stupid out.

Have fun.

From PA,
- Ben
Typical stuff, thanks for it! We didn't make it this week, with the weather I'm kind of glad...it was gross yesterday, maybe either next Sunday or the following (it is only Sunday, right?)

Polibious

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Just an FYI, that the a for fun trap league is starting up this Sunday. 20 rounds over 10 weeks, and can be shot in advance. I've done the league a few times, and always have fun and improve. Hope to see you there.

A tip for stopping your glasses from fogging is to clean them with shaving cream before use.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. Been a member here for a number of years, but just bought a bow and will be looking to use the archery range for the first time. I read the rules and know not to use when 300 YD or trap or black powder is going on. Can someone point me in the right direction as to where the archery range is located, and what "direction" the trails are? Also, if it is behind the gate, can I drive over to it or is it a bit of a walk to get there? TIA

Bender

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   1
Hi everyone. I thought the crickets were getting a bit loud.

awilson -unless things have changed drastically since I moved away, we don't have 'much' of an archery program.

The designated archery areas are behind the large yellow horizontal gate. Essentially, walk or drive through the gate, past the front edge of the paved trap pad, then turn right and walk / drive past the storage containers. There should still be a dozen or so rubber bricks more or less permanently mounted should you choose to use paper targets. I should *really* check the rules on this, but AFAIK you're certainly welcome to bring your own 3D targets and practice.

I've been a member for a few decades, and in that time I've only seen folks use a bow / crossbow perhaps 6 times. I absolutely do not want to discourage you, just want to set the expectation.

Back to the point - the lanes for stalking are cut into the pine trees which serve as part of the impact area for the trap field. Not certain if those have been maintained to any degree in the past few years.

You may wish to politely call the office at 508-823-0313. There's likely still someone there today.

Best,
-Ben

Polibious

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm one of the few that Bender has seen on the archery range. I don't recommend putting a paper target on the black rubber blocks, as they are nearly impossible to get arrows out of; I've broken a couple trying when an errant shot missed my foam target. I've noticed the lanes on my way to the 300 yard range, but never used them. Make sure to flip the sign to Archery Range in Use, and put the flag up before you go out (located at the yellow gate). I'm not a board member, just one of the few that use the archery range.

kope

NES Member
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Aside from TRPC , there is Trader Jans archery in Fall River with an indoor range.

Copicut Rd in Freetown is another option. Go in deep enough and I cant imagine you'd have any issues.

Last edited:

Bender

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   1
Found a new job and moved out of state. I'm still a member in good standing, but not actively instructing, nor should you expect to see me at a meeting.

Still here to try and spread some good info an s#itpost.

Last edited:

kope

NES Member
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I didn't see anything on here. For anyone interested, I saw a flyer for a 2 gun ( shotgun, handgun ) event on 10/10/20 at the TRPC outdoor range.

Top Bottom