The Liberty Training Rifle

Well, I've got 6 10/22's wearing Bell and Carson releases, and they all work well.

Considering the fact that these rifles get shot a LOT (500-2000 rounds per month) and the fact that the B&C releases still work tells you what I think of them.

The Volquartsen is nicer looking.

Both work.

Just purchased components to build up my own LTR. I am definitely excited.
I am hoping to be able to be able to go to the Proctor Appleseed. I just have to convince my fiancee to tag along with me.

Thanks to Nickle and dwarven1 for all their input in this thread. It has been a big help.

Steve

Actually, she would really like to go. However, I did not remember that we are scheduled to go to a wedding on Saturday. Not sure if we are going to make the trip up for sunday only.
Will we be at a major loss missing Saturday's training?

Thanks,
Steve

Well, they can compensate for that. We had a Sunday only shooter at Bennington, got him some one-on-one instruction, and caught him up with the group arounbd noon. He shot Rifleman by the end of the day.

If you can only make Sunday, come up and make Sunday.

I'm trying to decide on a base rifle for an LTR.

I can build on the 10/22 18" carbine or the WM 10/22 22" rifle.

The WM model has a painted receiver that is said to gum up, but paint can be removed.

I'm "Big & Tall" and I'm wondering if the carbine might be a little small for my comfort.

What are your opinions on the 18" vs. 22" for larger folks?

I bought one of the Wallyworld 22" rifles, and would recommend it (after stripping the paint out of the inside of the receiver). I found the longer stock length made big difference in comfort for me. I don't think the barrel made much of a difference in actual performance - longer sight radius, sure, but not a big difference.

So, while I do recommend the WM rifle, like mine, and like the way it looks, I'll admit that I could have accomplished the same end effect by buying the carbine and either putting an extended recoil pad or a different stock on. I'd try to find something with a bit higher comb than the factory stock. The TechSights (or a scope) are up higher than factory sights, so moving up a bit would be better.

I'm trying to decide on a base rifle for an LTR.

I can build on the 10/22 18" carbine or the WM 10/22 22" rifle.

What are your opinions on the 18" vs. 22" for larger folks?

Either barrel length, get the rifle, not the carbine. Yes, Ruger makes 18" barrel rifles.

My recommendation would be the 22" rifle. Better balance, better feel, stock is the right length.

Well, I drove to the Bennington VT Walmart four times before they could manage to sell me one. It's a long and pointless story.

I think the real answer is "not in Mass." [angry]

Got a deal on a Ruger 10/22 "All-Weather Model" carbine 18.5" stainless steel with synthetic stock at the end of the MHT gunshow today, so I'll start buildingan LTR on this rifle. So what's the downside to the carbine model for an LTR?

Last edited:
So what's the downside to the carbine model for an LTR?

Short stock, with maybe a little too low a comb for being perfect with Tech Sights. Depends on whether it fits you, of course. I'd try it first, and then make stock changes/mods if needed - butt pads, foam on the comb, etc.

The shorter barrel will decrease your sight radius by a bit from the rifle length barrel. I wouldn't replace it just for that reason, though. If you are shooting a scope, it won't make a bit of difference.

If it were me, I'd replace the sights, get a sling, and start burning up ammo.

Questions about 10/22s, my first being the All Weather Carbine mentioned above:

1. Safety pushed L-to-R (Off-to-On) makes a clunck when it strikes a stop, but makes no noise when pushed R-to-L (On-to-Off), and can be pushed about 1/8" into trigger guard. There is light resistance pushing safety back and forth, but
2. Can a 10/22 not be dry-fired? I cock bolt back and release, safety Off (pushed R-to-L), pull trigger, no click.

Do I have a problem? If so, is there a fix w/o sending to Ruger? I don't know why I didn't check and ask the gunshow vendor when I bought it today...

Something's not right. I dry fire my 10/22 all the time. I think the safety should have a pretty positive feel in both directions, though I haven't used the safety on mine since the last appleseed. Mine doesn't push past flush. If I were you, I'd disassemble the rifle and take a look. There are places on line with good photos of how it should look.

so ross got me/fiancee excited about appleseed. A couple of questions
a) Where/when can we sign up for the April appleseed?
b) she gets in free?
c) if i dress as a girl can I get in free? :p
d) Will my 10/22 Target work if it's scoped? What would it take to put iron sights on it? Would I need to talk to a gunsmith? My AR has Iron sights, so I'd realllly love to learn iron sights better. Otherwise, does anyone have a spare 10/22 I can borrow? And also possibly one for her?

--L

b) she gets in free?
d) Will my 10/22 Target work if it's scoped? What would it take to put iron sights on it? Would I need to talk to a gunsmith? My AR has Iron sights, so I'd realllly love to learn iron sights better. Otherwise, does anyone have a spare 10/22 I can borrow? And also possibly one for her?

--L

a) http://www.appleseedinfo.org/
b) according to the registration page, it looks like women are still free in 2009
c) nope - I already tried
d) Of course it'll work with a scope, so long as it runs reliably. However, Appleseed does a really nice job teaching you to shoot w/irons, so I'd go that route. I have Tech Sights on my 10/22T, which work quite nicely. Just be sure to get the .920 barrel adapter so you can put the front sights on. Your other option, of course, it to bring the AR (but that can get kinda expensive with the high round count). As for a loaner, most of the instructors have several 10/22s available to borrow - just contact Nickle before the shoot.

... If I were you, I'd disassemble the rifle and take a look. There are places on line with good photos of how it should look.
Need help finding these photos. Also, a step by step on how to reassemble a trigger/bolt release/magazine release would be nice. Thanks.

The magazine release is shockingly easy. The pin is held in place by tension, not pressed in, and nothing flys free when you take it out. I hope the rest is just as smooth...

The extended release seems to work nicely. Almost as though the guys that recommended it knew what they were talking about! Good omen...

1. Safety pushed L-to-R (Off-to-On) makes a clunck when it strikes a stop, but makes no noise when pushed R-to-L (On-to-Off), and can be pushed about 1/8" into trigger guard. There is light resistance pushing safety back and forth, but
2. Can a 10/22 not be dry-fired? I cock bolt back and release, safety Off (pushed R-to-L), pull trigger, no click.

Do I have a problem? If so, is there a fix w/o sending to Ruger? I don't know why I didn't check and ask the gunshow vendor when I bought it today...
You have a problem. Check the link at the bottom of this post; RimfireCentral has a LOT of good information on how to assemble/disassemble the 10/22.
b) she gets in free?
Leo,
A - Here.
B - yes, she does. Women shoot free in 2009.
C - Only if you're dressed as a girl of 1775 who was a member of the militia or the Minutemen (IOW, a Rev War reenactor). You could also get in free if you're under 21, an elected politician or active duty military. But for G-d's sake, man... $70??? That's nothing when you look at the cost of rifle training out there!
D - In order... Yes. Buy Tech-Sights. No. Yes. Yes.

Crak will be the shoot boss for Harvard, so send him a PM either here or on www.appleseedinfo.org and see what he's got lined up for loaners. Or buy her one and set it up before April. I'd be happy to help if you're having problems - it'd only be the 5th LTR I'll have put together. [smile]

You DID read this thread from the beginning, right?

Need help finding these photos. Also, a step by step on how to reassemble a trigger/bolt release/magazine release would be nice. Thanks.
Go here. Lots of excellent info.

Right then - I've got the LTR at 90%. All Weather SS Carbine base, sanded the synthetic stock ridges, installed Tech-Sights (got the 200 by mistake, but it will do), swivel studs and swivels (sling is on b/o). Trigger to front stud is 13 inches and readrstud is 1/2" from buttpad as there's not much meat to drill on the Ruger synthetic stock.

Trigger group problem mentioned above - Ruger wouldn't take back just the trigger group and wanted the whole rifle, so I picked up a C&R discount VQ TG2000 - not cheap but very nice, and I have the Ruger trigger group to fiddle with and learn on. With the new plastic parts rifles, I can swap it into a 2nd rifle (I'm trying to rationalize the spend to myself here, so go light on me). Four more Ruger 10rd mags on b/o too.

Lok-Tite will dry overnight and I picked up 50 each CCI GreenTag, Standard and Rem Standard to try at the range tomorrow and sight in. OK - I'll be a wuss and shoot indoors at MFL, but once I'm sighted in I'll get to Pelham F&GC for some outdoor fun.

I didn't have/couldn't find a tiny pin punch to install the Rapidex rear sight windage drum, so may have to borrow at an Appleseed. I managed to install one on my AR15 but can't remember how I did it.

R
I didn't have/couldn't find a tiny pin punch to install the Rapidex rear sight windage drum, so may have to borrow at an Appleseed. I managed to install one on my AR15 but can't remember how I did it.

I've run out of (i.e., broken out of sheer hamfistedness) those tiny punches before, and used the appropriate size drill bit instead of a punch. Doesn't do the drill bit much good, but if you convince yourself that installing the Rapidex is more important than having to drill that size hole...it's all good.

Or, you could get the right tool. This would not be an approved method at WECSOG (Wile E. Coyote School of Gunsmithing).

I've run out of (i.e., broken out of sheer hamfistedness) those tiny punches before, and used the appropriate size drill bit instead of a punch.

I ran through wire of several sizes and finishing nails as well, but didn't think of drill bits - I'm sure I have one that will fit somewhere. Thanks!

Right then - I've got the LTR at 90%. All Weather SS Carbine base, sanded the synthetic stock ridges, installed Tech-Sights (got the 200 by mistake, but it will do)
IIRC, the 200 will give you a problem trying to sight in at COM at 50 meters - your front sight will be too short; you'll be trying to crank it all the way up. I think you'd benefit from a longer one - try and sight it in BEFORE your next Appleseed Shoot so you know for sure.

Back
Top Bottom