The Liberty Training Rifle

IIRC, the 200 will give you a problem trying to sight in at COM at 50 meters - your front sight will be too short; you'll be trying to crank it all the way up. I think you'd benefit from a longer one - try and sight it in BEFORE your next Appleseed Shoot so you know for sure.

Just wondering if they remedied that with the below extended post sold with the TR200?

Item #TS00182 - Extended National Match Front Post
$5.00 Each
* Taller post for shooting at shorter ranges.
* .050 inches taller than standard post.
* Comes Standard on TSR200 sight for Ruger 10/22.
http://www.tech-sights.com/ruger3.htm

On the ball there at Tech Sights:

"We have been installing the taller front post standard on every TSR200 for about 3 months. It has solved the issue of shooting at shorter distances, such as 25 yards. Thank you for your interest in our products.
Sincerely,
Larry [Nesseth]
Tech-Sights, LLC"

"We have been installing the taller front post standard on every TSR200 for about 3 months. It has solved the issue of shooting at shorter distances, such as 25 yards. Thank you for your interest in our products.
Sincerely,
Larry [Nesseth]
Tech-Sights, LLC"

Yeah, Larry is a good guy.

I'd really like to get out to one of the MA appleseeds but my LTR was so buggy last time that I spent more time trying to make it feed than actual shooting. Not sure if it was the ammo or not but not being able to make it through 10 rnds without some malfunction was frustrating. [frown]

Sincerely,
Larry [Nesseth]
Tech-Sights, LLC"

Larry knows what most of them are being used for. Appleseeds.

He's a great guy, even donated some of the sights to the area to be used on Instructor's Loaner rifles.

Good to see they include it now.

Finish up my Appleseed rifle the other day. I posted it on Facebook, in the Northeastshooter group. I can't post here from work, due to you have to go through an additional photo source. Larry from Tech Sight was very helpful and is a great guy to work with, great products, all steel construction and super fast shipping.

Finish up my Appleseed rifle the other day. I posted it on Facebook, in the Northeastshooter group. I can't post here from work, due to you have to go through an additional photo source. Larry from Tech Sight was very helpful and is a great guy to work with, great products, all steel construction and super fast shipping.

The front sight base is now steel?

So I got some NIB Ruger 10/22 mags from MidwayUSA.

What's that red plastic chunk stuck inside and how do I get it out? I tried prying it out with a screwdriver but they are wedged in tightly.

EDIT: Oh - maybe it's supposed to be there. My old mag didn't have a red follower so I thought it was a shipping stabilizer or something.

Last edited:
Mine is aluminum and I honestly wasn't impressed with it. It loosened up pretty quickly even with locktite. I'd much rather have a steel version.
It's the weakest part of the whole system. I'm on my third one[thinking]

What's that red plastic chunk stuck inside and how do I get it out? I tried prying it out with a screwdriver but they are wedged in tightly.

EDIT: Oh - maybe it's supposed to be there. My old mag didn't have a red follower so I thought it was a shipping stabilizer or something.

Yup. It's the follower.

AH! No, don't pull it out - it's the follower!![laugh][laugh]

One more LTR exists in the world today.

To the list I added a VQ extractor and extended bold handle.

The extractor did not work out very well and I left it off (ed: left in the original), and the sling has not arrived, so I've still got to mount the swivels.

100_1954.jpg

100_1951.jpg

Last edited:
I took mine to the range today and sighted it in - took about 15 rounds mostly because I had to crank the front post WAY up. I'm like 'that can't be how high it's got to go' [laugh]. It is. Put another 80 or so through it after and was getting 3 inch groups centered on the bull semi-supported (I was crouched with my left elbow braced on the lane table). No FTF or stoppages. The only upgrades I made (aside from sights and sling) were a VQ hammer and bolt release. Stock extractor worked fine. It should be well broken in by April.

Bring LOTS of ammo. And figure out which brand it likes best, too. Nothing sucks more than trying to learn to shoot while you're futzing with ammo malfunctions.

I was putting Federal through it today and she liked it. I'll finish the brick out over the next few weeks and we'll see.

I'll find out tomorrow if I get the weekend of the Feb Appleseed off or not. In anticipation, I bought one of the WalMart 22" rifles, and have been "Appleseeding" it.

Kevin9, did your "old" hammer have built in bushings? Right now that is my stumbling point. I found out too late that mine is the newer model with the bushings made as part of the hammer. I need to order separate bushings to go with the new hammer, and Midway is backordered. Other than that, I installed the bolt release, buffer, sling, and Mag release.

I found that with my old eyes and bifocals, I can't effectively use open sights so I picked up a 4x scope and mounted it.

I made it to the range for the first time one day last week and all went well. I burned through about 200 Rem Golden Bullet and 300 Winchester Target rounds. I had 1 fail to fire. Otherwise, everything functioned flawlessly. The trigger is definitely the weak link. Hopefully the bushings will be delivered before the Appleseed (if I can go).

After getting the scope sighted in, I set up at 25 yards using my range bag as a rest. This was the best 10 shot group:

Target.jpg

(I called the flyer) [wink]

Overall, I'm happy with everything. One question I have though is how should I sight this in? Should it be right on at 25 yds? Right on at 50 yds? 100 yds?

Kevin9, did your "old" hammer have built in bushings? Right now that is my stumbling point. I found out too late that mine is the newer model with the bushings made as part of the hammer. I need to order separate bushings to go with the new hammer, and Midway is backordered. Other than that, I installed the bolt release, buffer, sling, and Mag release.

I have the same "problem," except that my rifle doesn't accept the mag release I ordered, either. (I ordered the VQ release suggested by some here, but it's too fat at the top.)

Overall, I'm happy with everything. One question I have though is how should I sight this in? Should it be right on at 25 yds? Right on at 50 yds? 100 yds?
If you're shooting with a scope, sight it in for 25 yards. We'll be going over battlesight zero at the shoot.

...To the list I added a VQ extractor and extended bold handle.

The extractor did not work out very well and I left it off (ed: left in the original)...

I used an extractor from Kidd (http://www.coolguyguns.com/8bolt.html), and worked like a charm. It's an extremely sharp and strong piece of metal with just the right cuts. Costs $11.00. Was neccesary for me because the bull barrel had a tighter chamber.

Put on my Tech-Sights last night. Now I just need a sling and I'm good to go. Any recommendation on either a standard sling or a Ching Sling?

Special thanks to SuperMoto who provided me with the brass punches at a moments notice. He went above and beyond.

I used an extractor from Kidd (http://www.coolguyguns.com/8bolt.html), and worked like a charm. It's an extremely sharp and strong piece of metal with just the right cuts.

I was looking at that extractor and am happy to hear it's a good choice. I also noticed Kidd offers a Guide Rod & Spring Kit, but I didn't know the bolt handle could be disassembled and re-assembled with a new rod/spring. Any idea how to do that??

Back
Top Bottom