The Price Gouging/Everything Shortage Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looked for some primers and powder tonight, widener's is wiped out of most stuff. Pretty wide spread panic going on, hitting everything gun related, I took inventory tonight and found I'm better on some things and worse on others, have to do some scouting.

Yeah, I'm buying my new CCW tonight but if I'm too drunk I'll order it tomorrow. [rofl] If I order a SR1911 by mistake I'll blame it on that.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=323008232

Over 3 days left!? $404 right now.
gbetha.gif

Jeez, I got my Cherry's Import Yugo from a member on here for wayyy less than that.

Supposedly they make excellent lowers and have some great uppers, the one I was looking at was sold out. [thinking]

I got a Russian 54 Tula for 275. Looks like it will be a while before filling any want items, I've got plenty of ammo

Most placed I've seen have rock river lpk's in stock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never thought I would the see the day when a MAK-90 sells for a over a grand.

Stripped lowers are going for $275 to $500 on GB right now.

Good grief.

I have a handful. I should throw a matched set of two on there for a grand.

Suckers?

Does anyone get the impression that there will be a lot of people who bought $500 lowers or $2000 AR's in about 3 months who will be very unhappy when they cannot sell them for even half that when the scare is over and no gun control is enacted? I spent today watching the idiots on the Sunday news programs and it seems highly unlikely anything is legitimately going to happen. Normally I think Chuck Todd is a baffoon but he laid out a pretty convincing argument for why this will all be off the radar in a month... and I am pretty sure he's no Romney supporter.

This shit happens. Look at all the people that bought overpriced generators on craigslist for snowmageddonocalypse or whatever. If you were in NY/NJ, you did good. If you were in MA/NH, you overpaid for something that you didn't use.

I bought my brother a RRA last November (he's a cop in a rural area and they expect them to buy their own rifle). I paid $654 for a RRA CAR-A4. It was a hell of a deal, I had to buy the upper (with BCG and charger) and lower separately to get that price but he loves it and it has been super reliable and accurate. It would cost me an easy $1200 to get the same thing today.

A lot of people are overpaying, but is it really overpaying if a ban actually happens? Only time will tell.

I give it a 20/80 chance for a nationwide ban.

Individual states enacting draconian laws or making their shitty state's laws even worse? 80/20 chance.

An executive order banning importation of parts, guns, mags, etc? 50 50.
^^^
That may not seem like much, but it will shut businesses down, kill some firearm lines entirely, and make spare parts for some guns completely impossible to source. A full on ban of that type would turn hundreds of guns into the FNC of the 21st century...[hmmm]

I don't think the $500 AR lowers are going back down to the $90 or so range any time soon.. if they do it'll be a very short "bust" counter to the bubble. We're likely at the beginning of a new plateau for prices... not that I think lowers will remain at 500, but we'll probably see them settle at 150 or so.

To the OP question, will people regret their purchases? Some, but not many. I get the sense though that the people spending these dollars aren't the kind that are tight with their money or even tight in the 2a crowd. This spike has been exacerbated by a prepper crowd who aren't necessarily firearms enthusiasts.... and therefore these are one time expenditures.

It will be a very long time until the backed up demand is satisfied (SG is backordered till may 2013 for my 5.56 of choice), and by that time inflation and new interest will keep the prices higher than they were when this all started.

Keep in mind, this isn't like gas prices where demand is destroyed by increases, it increases demand as it reinforces the notion that guns and ammo are investments. When things get back to down to what are perceived values, those of us that wish we just had a few more things when this just started will stock up again and the cycle will continue for some time.

I don't think the... --SNIP--

I don't know about that... after the run up in 08/09, prices dropped like a rock in '10. A few companies were selling lowers, NEW LOWERS, at $50 each. Another company ran a "price match" guarantee and I bought from them for $50 each (nicer looking rollmark). I visited LAR manufacturing, their CEO told me that they couldn't give away their stuff even if they wanted to. Other companies were blowing out uppers, barrels, mags, you name it... EVERYTHING was cheap in 2010.

IF this all blows over and captain inaction remains on the green, I would expect 1. companies to go under 2. parts to explode on the second hand market 3. prices to fall like a ****in rock with retailers. That could be as soon as this summer...

I probably would have sold mine if i had another ( as shameful as that is) but the only one i got is the first rifle i ever bought and i just could not do it.

I don't know about that... after the run up in 08/09, prices dropped like a rock in '10. A few companies were selling lowers, NEW LOWERS, at $50 each. Another company ran a "price match" guarantee and I bought from them for $50 each (nicer looking rollmark). I visited LAR manufacturing, their CEO told me that they couldn't give away their stuff even if they wanted to. Other companies were blowing out uppers, barrels, mags, you name it... EVERYTHING was cheap in 2010.

IF this all blows over and captain inaction remains on the green, I would expect 1. companies to go under 2. parts to explode on the second hand market 3. prices to fall like a ****in rock with retailers. That could be as soon as this summer...

I also stated there could be a temporary bust. Those price lows of 2010 were short lived were they not?

And if as you say, companies go under during that low... that drives up prices again over the long term.

I'm looking at this like any other boom and bust cycle centered around commodities, and what I stated is generally what occurs.... the ever imminent threat of government is just insurance of it.

That was on GB... Unless you're saying that they were trying to flip em already.

Anything is possible, there's no logic in the market at this point. If thats what they sold for, thats the market.. if thats list... the market will decide if thats high or low... if thats a high list, it wont sell.

Long story short: Don't check logic at the door of any deal. When government moves markets, very few people win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom