• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tips on Applying for LTC-Important Info

My problem is I've never even stepped foot inside a Police Station (until today!) and was extremely nervous for some reason. I was just trying to give myself a little extra reassurance, ended up getting the nerve to just call them and I'm glad I did. I don’t need to worry about the pictures, don’t need to worry about the residency, and left out any mention of gunsmithing.

Thanks again for getting back to me, now it’s time to play the waiting game!

Hey Sig - Welcome to NES! It is great to see new members keep signing up and that our mutual interests keep growing.

Best of luck with the LTC. May your wait be short and your restrictions be None.

I will be moving to MA in the next week or so and will be applying for LTC class A unrestricted. I currently reside in FL and possess a CCW. I conceal carry all of the time and I am dumfounded at the laws in MA. It makes me not want to bring my firearm up with me and go through the process, as they are truly unAmerican. They are extremely brutal.

Having said this, I have Florida and MA licenses that are both active. I know this because I have been pulled over and the cop told me. He said there was no law against it, but just wanted to let me know. Since this is the case, I am assuming I can apply for my MA LTC as a resident correct?

I have a petty marijuana case that was CWOF'd and since sealed in MA. Will having a FL CCW license increase the chances of my town considering me as suitable for the LTC class A unrestricted license, or am I beating my head against a cement wall?

I appreciate any advice anyone can give. Reading all of the posts on here and everyone's stories makes me sick to my stomach about moving back to MA, but I have grown accustomed to lawfully carrying and being responsible with it. I don't want the pol's in MA to prohibit me from exercising my right. Why should only police and criminals be able to carry? Makes no sense. Thanks all.

Last edited:
Buckeyes2006, sorry to hear that you are about to be lose your freedom and become a "subject" in the hellhole known as MA!!

Having other licenses (or even a MA NR LTC) won't mean anything to your new PD! Sorry, but that is just the way it is in MA.

There is NO SUCH THING as a "sealed" record in MA when it comes to MA gun laws. Every "sealed" record gets "unsealed", viewed and info transmitted to the PD for their evaluation to issue or not.

Every town is different. One town will issue unrestricted and a town next door may have a policy of "nobody gets unrestricted here" and it's all legal in MA as chiefs have 100% latitude under "suitability" and "discretion".

Before you move, you better study that other sticky that shows color codes for the cities/towns in MA. It will give you a good idea if you stand a chance of getting an unrestricted permit or will be stuck with "no carry" for the next 6 years.

Good luck.

I will be moving to MA in the next week or so and will be applying for LTC class A unrestricted. I currently reside in FL and possess a CCW. I conceal carry all of the time and I am dumfounded at the laws in MA. It makes me not want to bring my firearm up with me and go through the process, as they are truly unAmerican. They are extremely brutal.

Having said this, I have Florida and MA licenses that are both active. I know this because I have been pulled over and the cop told me. He said there was no law against it, but just wanted to let me know. Since this is the case, I am assuming I can apply for my MA LTC as a resident correct?

I have a petty marijuana case that was CWOF'd and since sealed in MA. Will having a FL CCW license increase the chances of my town considering me as suitable for the LTC class A unrestricted license, or am I beating my head against a cement wall?

I appreciate any advice anyone can give. Reading all of the posts on here and everyone's stories makes me sick to my stomach about moving back to MA, but I have grown accustomed to lawfully carrying and being responsible with it. I don't want the pol's in MA to prohibit me from exercising my right. Why should only police and criminals be able to carry? Makes no sense. Thanks all.

Make sure you choose a very green town.
That's a start

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the info. What happened to MA? Isn't this where they revolted against the British? Why do the police and Pol's look with such suspicion on gun owners? You can barely own a gun in MA. It's sickening.

I've put several thousand rounds at the range with my sig and I take great responsibility in carrying a firearm. It's such a let down to read all of these posts. I probably won't be in MA long. Thank God, but i'm still going to go after getting my license. Even though it's at the whim of some person who will decide on if I can protect my life or not. Real Sickening! How can the Police uphold these laws?

Buckeyes2006, sorry to hear that you are about to be lose your freedom and become a "subject" in the hellhole known as MA!!

There is NO SUCH THING as a "sealed" record in MA when it comes to MA gun laws. Every "sealed" record gets "unsealed", viewed and info transmitted to the PD for their evaluation to issue or not.

Every town is different. One town will issue unrestricted and a town next door may have a policy of "nobody gets unrestricted here" and it's all legal in MA as chiefs have 100% latitude under "suitability" and "discretion".

Good luck.

Lens what about sealed records from another State ? I'm going on 90 days now and during the last phone conversation I had with them they acknowledged the sealed record but could not determine the final result. So am I to assume that they will look further into it or am I out of luck. I have applied for the courts ruling but still no satisfaction.

Had previous LTC in NC but I know it does not matter here. I did list it on the app . What should I do next ?

I can't speak to what all other states do, but if a III (or other MA query of another state's database) shows a "sealed record", they will not proceed until someone identifies WHAT the offense and potential penalty was. In many cases, your local PD will throw it back to you and demand that you provide them the info or they will deny on suitability.

I'm one of the lucky few who should have no problems getting my ALP LTC-A because my brother is a local PD officer and I've personally known the Chief since I was 12, in addition to a squeaky clean record. But I have a quick question for all you guys.

On the local PD's website it says that to get a license (FID/LTC) all I need is a basic hunters safety course. I always thought that there was another class that needed to be taken for a LTC? I took the basic hunters safety course at S&W (actually in the factory's cafeteria, the Shooting Sports Center wasn't around yet) back in 2006 so I could get my FID, am I good to go? Or do I need to take a different course?

Another thing, will the BATFE give me a hard time for applying for a C&R license as soon as I turn 21? When I turn in my LTC application I plan on giving the Chief his copy of my C&R application at the same time.

Last edited:
In many cases, your local PD will throw it back to you and demand that you provide them the info or they will deny on suitability.

Also, if the fact you have a sealed record in another state is discovered, rather than disclosed by you on the application, the issuing authority is likely to deny the application based on the fact that you would have lied. Yes, I know that sealing statutes generally include the legal fiction of permitting you to legally answer "no" to any question regarding the sealed record, however, few issuing authorities seem to understand or appreciate that nuance.

I can't speak to what all other states do, but if a III (or other MA query of another state's database) shows a "sealed record", they will not proceed until someone identifies WHAT the offense and potential penalty was. In many cases, your local PD will throw it back to you and demand that you provide them the info or they will deny on suitability.

Many thanks for the guidance there LenS. You were correct on all counts. After requesting the final NYC court ruling on my case "sealed record" and forwarding it along with another personal letter further explaining the court ruling, I was just informed that my application has been excepted and should receive it. Wow, talk about sweating it out ! Now I'm being told it has to be (PROCESSED) OR Printed I think. Still find myself waiting. But feeling a tad closer ! Don't want to push it but what should be a reasonable amount of time for them to print it out at this point ? Total time at this point has been 4-months. The local LEO just called to keep me updated.

LTC Squire, glad to help. Glad it worked out.

Give them another month, but if it really is in the CJIS queue for printing it should be no more than 2 weeks. It's just that different departments sometimes have "different meanings" to saying it has to be "processed" or "printed".

I am getting a bit worried now. Brought in the app to the Barnstable police station the beginning of the month. On the question: "Have you ever had a license to carry in the state before" or however it was worded I answered no. I did have a pistol license some 30 years ago but cannot remember if it was a LTC. The lady halping mw with the app said she found I had one in the neighbooring town in the early 70's. I told her I honistly didn't remember and she just sort shrugged it off as no big deal.
So now I am beginning to wonder. Does anybody have and idea if its a big deal?

Tom

Last edited:
Well the wait is over. Just got the call tonight my LTC-A is ready to be picked up. 23 weeks and a few letters & its over. Or is it just beginning ? LOL
Just wanted to say thanks to all on this site for the insight & suggestions.
Thank you across the board.

I doubt that would be an issue. If you forgot about being convicted for a crime it would be different. Just say you forgot if they ask again, which they probably won't.

I am getting a bit worried now. Brought in the app to the Barnstable police station the beginning of the month. On the question: "Have you ever had a license to carry in the state before" or however it was worded I answered no. I did have a pistol license some 30 years ago but cannot remember if it was a LTC. The lady halping mw with the app said she found I had one in the neighbooring town in the early 70's. I told her I honistly didn't remember and she just sort shrugged it off as no big deal.
So now I am beginning to wonder. Does anybody have and idea if its a big deal?

Tom

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Hey Mike, first off, Im not a lawyer and far from an expert, so hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come along shortly...

1- I think the key word in question 8 , and all the other questions for that matter, is " ever ". If you had traveled to Europe when you were 10 and someone today were to ask you " Have you EVER been to Europe?", how would you answer them?

2- Again, Im not a lawyer, but the question asks if you were "confined " to any hospital or institution for mental illness. Im not sure if being treated necessarily is the same as being confined. Regardless, check out the 6th row down in the table at the following link. Hope this helps.

http://www.goal.org/masslawpages/masslawdenialinfo.html

If she was not confined to a hospital that is where it ends. For your own privacy keep all other info like medication, therapy, etc. to yourself. It's private and they have no right to know it.

FYI:

This thread was started by a very skilled firearms attorney, Keith G. Langer. He was a major contributor to this forum and went by the screen name "Scrivener".

Thought it might be worthwhile to share letters to the chief that worked to obtain an unrestricted LTC A. Here is mine, edited to remove specific names and places but otherwise accurate. The major themes were: 1) I have legitimate reasons for carrying, 2) I have some experience with firearms, and 2) I am a responsible citizen that won't make you look like a doofus for approving me.

Chief Andy Taylor
Mayberry Police Department

Dear Chief Taylor,

I am writing to request an unrestricted License to Carry Class A for All Lawful Purposes, including protection inside and outside my home, competition and sport, and wilderness protection while I camp and hike in backwoods areas.

I recognize the significant responsibility inherent in carrying a firearm, and assure you that I have the experience and integrity to bear that responsibility. I’ve been a Mayberry resident for almost six years, along with my wife and daughter who’s about to enter Kindergarten at Fife Elementary. I’m very active in church as a member and past president of the congregation council at the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Mayberry, and occasionally volunteer at the Mayberry Food Pantry. I’m also a Vice President of Product Management at a software company in East BFE. Growing up, I was a member of the Boy Scouts, rising to the level of Eagle and shooting rifles and shotguns each summer. More recently I’ve had experience shooting a variety of revolvers and pistols as well.

I’ve always been a hiker, camper and traveler, but now doing this more regularly with family I feel the added responsibility of being able to protect them in potentially unpredictable situations. In addition, after being away from shooting for a while I’d like to get back into it more seriously. Once licensed, I intend to join the Mayberry Sportsman’s Association to help keep up my skills.

I would like to thank you for your consideration. If you’ve got any questions or would like to discuss this request in person, please feel free to contact me at one of the phone numbers below.

Best Regards,
Neum69

The reference letters I used were very simple. I'm sharing one below as an example.

To Whom it May Concern:

Neum69 has asked me to provide a reference letter for his Massachusetts Class A Firearms license. I’ve known Neum for XX years and consider him to be of good character. I know of no reason why he shouldn’t be granted this license, and recommend that you approve his application. If you have any questions regarding this letter, you may contact me as noted below.

Sincerely,
Neum's Drinking Buddy

Dennis Rader aka BTK the serial killer from Wichita, KS, was a congregational council president of his Lutheran Church and a Scout Leader...hmm...you might have some suitability issues...

do you all think it might be beneficial to get out in front of any potential questions regarding my LTC application that may or may not come up? In the interest of full disclosure, here's the high level view:

1. Was caught by the police tagging buildings and generally being a douche back in HS. Never formally arrested, did have to go before a magistrate. CWOF.

2. Summer after 1st year of college mixed muriatic acid and tin foil in a plastic bottle, made a lound bang. Not formally arrested, went before a magistrate, CWOF.

3. Had unpaid speeding tickets in NH. Not sure if a warrant was ever issued, eventually paid the fines.

The first one I put on my application, the other two I didn't for no other reason than they were 20 years ago and the application asked me if I had ever been a defendent, which I didn't think I was (until the officer at my interview said it was).

Should I write a letter to the COP in my town (Methuen) explaining the oversight on my part? On one hand I believe in "letting all sleeping dogs lie" but if it's going to come out anyway, at least maybe I can mitigate its impact.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
1. & 2. Police have 2 choices . . . they can arrest or they can "cite", giving you a criminal citation to appear in court.

Ask yourself the following questions:
- Does Q.10 ask "were you arrested?"
- Does Q.10 ask "did you appear before a judge?"
- Do you think that someone appearing before a magistrate isn't a defendant whereas if you appear before a judge you are?
- Do you think that the courts, board of probation and police only maintains records of appearances before judges and throw out all appearances before a magistrate?

Read Q.10 in plain English, consider the above questions and determine your answers accordingly.

I'm not a lawyer, LenS, which is why I'm asking this question. I don't think me assuming that I was NOT a defendent because I was never arrested or appeard before a judge is a stretch. From what I recall, the appearance before the magistrate was to determine IF there was reason to go to trial, in which case I would be a defendant. Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong. That said, since I can't unring a bell, what do you think is the best next step?

CWOF is not the same as "charges dismissed". IANAL either, but I have been a police officer and recall my police chief telling me that I had two options in a criminal matter, arrest or citation.

My interpretation of "CWOF" is that you were charged, the magistrate heard the case and gave you a break instead of a conviction. My non-lawyer opinion is that you were a defendant in this case.

If you filed the paperwork and failed to disclose this, you may have some explaining to do and might well get denied for lying on the application.

I am always of the opinion that if in doubt, disclose with an explanation up front. After the fact, I'd write a letter with "further information" and an explanation of why you didn't disclose earlier (confusion, thought it wasn't applicable, etc.) . . . probably best to consult an attorney before submitting anything at this point.

CWOF has been a frequent topic. Most of the time you are required to admit that there are sufficient facts for a finding of guilty if the case were to go forward (not always). Sometimes probation is a condition of a CWOF and many LEO's unofficial view it as "guilty but got away with it."

It's not necessarily a good deal if you want a LTC. It hasn't stopped some from getting one, but has jammed up others. Also too the term itself is peculiar to MA. Other states have different terms for it, so it can cause problems when applying elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom