• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Trail camera thread. Post ur trail camera photos.

You'd think something would've chowed on the pumpkin. The squirrels here have a field day with them.

Thats what I thought too but nobody was interested. Not even the squirrels.

The apples mostly get carried away by a local possum, squirrels, and occasionally a beaver. I have yet to see a deer take one in the years I have been running that site.

This is a shot of the two brothers after getting back together now that the rut was over. It‘s easy to pick out the older brother with the white patch on his muzzle.

7867E31C-9A23-4493-9642-2DA8C05C89D4.jpeg

Bob

Very nice. I suppose there they can be a little picky. I'm in the city, granted a wooded area, but still the city. The pickings might be slimmer.

This location is in the suburbs and there is plenty of browse and the mast was pretty good there this past year and insane the year before.

It’s interesting to to watch one location for a few years. You can learn a lot about their patterns. Its not just about food and taking inventory. You can see when they fawn and their survival rate, the bachelor groups coming together and breaking up, antler drop, etc.

Bob

I keep a camera behind my house year round.
Lately I'm getting 100's of pics when wind blowing branches or brush, no matter how I position the camera.
Maybe I just need a different/better camera???

Lately I'm getting 100's of pics when wind blowing branches or brush, no matter how I position the camera.

My Moultrie cell cameras can be very finicky with that. The sun can screw with them too.

Sometimes I can set them up in the wrong spot and they'll do the same. I have two now that just maxed out the 100 pic allotment 30 minutes into the month.

What I need to do when I move them or install new is to ensure all my settings are are as low as possible until I get things dialed in.

One thing I've found that helps is trimming brush in front of the camera.

I put one out the other day along a deer trail. Lots of high grass and thick brush. I kept getting notification every ten minutes due to the wind. It has luckily died down since. Got another camera the other day. It suggests clearing brush and branches if possible at it will set it off.

My camera picks up wind blown branches too. I adjusted the setting to be less sensitive but don’t see an animal until it’s almost past it. I might set it back to Sensitive and ignore the daytime pictures between 9-6 which are mostly branches

I put one out the other day along a deer trail. Lots of high grass and thick brush. I kept getting notification every ten minutes due to the wind. It has luckily died down since. Got another camera the other day. It suggests clearing brush and branches if possible at it will set it off.

On private land I use a machete to trim the brush and branches to cut down on the vegetation pictures. I also try to orient my cams N/S instead of E/W to avoid the pictures being washed out early morning and late evening.

Bob

Surprised that this is my first bear this year on camera-I did have a little one run through my yard in the Lakes Region while I was out running the grill though. Camera 4 was one of those finicky cameras I mentioned above. I moved it, adjusted settings, bought more data and the first pic was this goofy bear.

Also another pic of the moose. Antlers are really coming in fast. I have a feeling it is the larger of the two bulls from last year. I found his route from the neighbor's yard into mine. I'm in a love/hate relationship with camera 8 which faces my driveway. On the 13th the dirtwork guys were there digging in conduit for the electric--it only caught a single picture of a 1 ton Dodge and not the excavator, dumps, and half dozen people.

Screenshot 2022-05-17 at 07-36-41 Moultrie Mobile - Moultrie Mobile.png

Screenshot 2022-05-16 at 09-18-51 Moultrie Mobile - Moultrie Mobile.png

Surprised that this is my first bear this year on camera-I did have a little one run through my yard in the Lakes Region while I was out running the grill though. Camera 4 was one of those finicky cameras I mentioned above. I moved it, adjusted settings, bought more data and the first pic was this goofy bear.

Also another pic of the moose. Antlers are really coming in fast. I have a feeling it is the larger of the two bulls from last year. I found his route from the neighbor's yard into mine. I'm in a love/hate relationship with camera 8 which faces my driveway. On the 13th the dirtwork guys were there digging in conduit for the electric--it only caught a single picture of a 1 ton Dodge and not the excavator, dumps, and half dozen people.

View attachment 616932

View attachment 616933

Nice looking bear. He is going to be a brute in the fall after he puts on weight for winter.

On private land I use a machete to trim the brush and branches to cut down on the vegetation pictures. I also try to orient my cams N/S instead of E/W to avoid the pictures being washed out early morning and late evening.

Bob

I only have cameras on my own land. I started with the machete, but cheaped out and got a crappy one. Lesson learned-cheap machetes aren't super durable. Last year I upgraded to a Fiskars Brush Axe which I just keep in the bed of my truck. It comes duller than a democrat, but a dremel sharpened it up.

Super useful tool, and a TON cheaper than a fancy Woodsman's Pal.

IMG_1122.jpg

I only have cameras on my own land. I started with the machete, but cheaped out and got a crappy one. Lesson learned-cheap machetes aren't super durable. Last year I upgraded to a Fiskars Brush Axe which I just keep in the bed of my truck. It comes duller than a democrat, but a dremel sharpened it up.

Super useful tool, and a TON cheaper than a fancy Woodsman's Pal.

View attachment 617039

Fiskars has a good reputation. I’m surprised it was so dull.

Back
Top Bottom