• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Trail camera thread. Post ur trail camera photos.

Im in North Central and starting to see lots of bald eagles. Saw one sitting on a log eating a fish on the res in Westminster last week.
I have noticed the same. I seem to be seeing more. I was traveling Rt 2 west yesterday fitchburg/gardner, and saw one perched high in a tree above Rt 2.

It's anecdotal but it does feel like there are more around.

They have been coming back for years. I'm close to some fresh water lakes in eastern MA and count the nesting pairs within 10 miles and I need both hands. If you drive through Wyoma Square in Lynn, there is an active nest on top of the Hughes Real Estate office, inside the antenna on top of the building. That's an active nest in the middle of a 100K city right over a 4 way busy intersection. Not only is the population increasing, it is becoming more accustomed to people and transportation.

If you look up internet videos of Alaska fishermen cleaning their catch at the pier, you will see 6-10 Bald Eagles hanging around at arms length, looking for a handout. We re not there yet, but it's coming.

Wyoma Sq.
eag.jpg

Are Bald Eagles really that rare down there? I think we have a dozen nesting pairs in my town alone.
Any coastal town with a tidal river will have Eagles.

I wouldn't say rare. When I fish or hunt the CT river I see a bunch. There is a pair that lives on my pond. I'm just seeing them a lot more recently, it seems like there are more in my area.

I wouldn't say rare. When I fish or hunt the CT river I see a bunch. There is a pair that lives on my pond. I'm just seeing them a lot more recently, it seems like there are more in my area.
The one on the branch was taken on my deck, the two next to the nest was taken on Lake Quinsigamond in Worcester, so ya there’s a lot more around here

Attachments

• 9C207B88-29DC-4F50-8982-42627CF77DF2.jpeg
    9C207B88-29DC-4F50-8982-42627CF77DF2.jpeg
    56.1 KB · Views: 13
  • A487BB4F-B1BD-49B0-96DA-62D540730D91.jpeg
    A487BB4F-B1BD-49B0-96DA-62D540730D91.jpeg
    725.7 KB · Views: 12
  • D1A5A4C7-4C4E-42BE-8D6F-1040297732BD.jpeg
    D1A5A4C7-4C4E-42BE-8D6F-1040297732BD.jpeg
    48.3 KB · Views: 13
  • CD233F98-E4F7-4912-BC1A-994BF898D0FE.jpeg
    CD233F98-E4F7-4912-BC1A-994BF898D0FE.jpeg
    295.1 KB · Views: 13
Over this past summer while I was fishing at a local pond in SE MA I was watching an osprey carry off a fish it had scooped out of the water when a bald eagle appeared out of nowhere heading straight for the osprey and it's catch. The osprey wisely decided to drop the fish and take off, the eagle grabbed the falling fish from mid air and similarly took off to enjoy it's newly liberated catch.

It was a great show, since I had never seen a bald eagle in person, especially not in what is essentially my back yard. I saw another one (same one?) in the same area while I was out for a walk in the snow the other day, I'm hoping this is a positive sign and that we start to see more around this area, such a cool bird!

Are Bald Eagles really that rare down there? I think we have a dozen nesting pairs in my town alone.
Any coastal town with a tidal river will have Eagles.
We never saw any as kids and they were pretty rare down here. Lot of rivers lakes and streams were polluted from industrial, and they used to use pretty bad pesticides and DDT.

Seeing a Hawk as a kid was something....now we are overloaded with them, as we are alot of other predators. Eagles, we are seeing more regularly now too. Quabbin in my area has many nesting pairs now Im sure.

Now if we could only train the Bald Eagles to eat Canada Geese!
goose-vs-eagle-3.jpg

First time seeing a bobcat out back since I got the camera seven years ago. Looks like a real good size one too! I was always told that they were in the area for a long time and they have recently been spotted in surrounding towns but have never saw one until it was captured on film.
MFDC4745.JPG MFDC4746.JPG MFDC4747.JPG

Back
Top Bottom