Ultimate SHTF rifle???

Instead of building the ultimate SHTF guns, most would be better off learning how to accurately shoot whatever they already have.
Doesn't matter if it's an AR, AK, lever gun, bolt action rifle, etc.
Tactical beard keyboard warrior bros with 20k (lol teh poorz) 40k in Gucci gear getting unexpectedly clapped by a double tap to the face at 75 yards in the first 2 days of the SHTF by 14 year old farm girl w/ a 22lr pistol in t-shirt, shorts, and flip flops whom spent the practicing summer obliterating squirrels and chipmunks in her redneck backyard = priceless

This.

I'll be snapping necks, cashing checks, and beating feet to some other AO while the OP is still changing like three kinds of batteries.

But? OP, if it's what you train with and feel comfortable taking to war? Go with your bad self.
How you going to cash checks after the shtf?

If the government doesn't shut down the internet, I'll be here on NES in the Reptile megathread to see what's going on in the world as it falls apart

I made up a kit centered around my Ruger PC carbine and a G19. I bought a ton of those Magpul Glock mags and started off with 300 rounds of 9mm, I quickly cut that in half to 150 lol.

I went with the PC carbine (chassis model) because of the takedown feature, I put a c-more railway sight on it, sling, and changed out the trigger group. I ordered spare pins and springs to add to the kit as well as BUIS. I use the magpul G19 mags because they are cheap and they work, I consider them a one time use mag in this kit. I also have the G19 tucked in there as well as some other items but the kit is ready to grab and go but the weight adds up quickly.

For the money I think I'd rather a nice flashlight and a handheld thermal than a thermal scope. What do you do if you have to shoot in the daytime? And no sling?

I'll happy with my 10/22. It'll get the job done.

And an all terrain bicycle for getting around.

If defending the home is no longer an option (or I run out of .223/556), then I think I'm with you on a 22lr rifle being the best option for mobile use. Could easily carry 1,000+ rounds without it being a hinderance. I'd personally want an etched scope for SHTF, or just use irons.

For the money I think I'd rather a nice flashlight and a handheld thermal than a thermal scope. What do you do if you have to shoot in the daytime? And no sling?
i have 2 sets of those in the parts box. would prefer that 100% to any red dot.
thermal on a good ar10 - not a puny .223 - is quite efficient, again, a lot of ukrainian snipers are using now x4 magnification thermals with a very good efficiency.
i would love to get myself a good flir based unit, but, it is too cost prohibitive what a good one goes for.
.223 will not go through armor well compared to a black tip 7.62.

712nys20+ML._AC_SL1500_.jpg

If defending the home is no longer an option (or I run out of .223/556), then I think I'm with you on a 22lr rifle being the best option for mobile use. Could easily carry 1,000+ rounds without it being a hinderance. I'd personally want an etched scope for SHTF, or just use irons.

The Appleseed threads will have a link to the parts needed to make a 10/22 much friendlier, to including real sights to a sling, a catch for the open bolt, etc.

A 22lr with a physically marked/etched BDC scope (so you can reach out to 100 yards effectively unless its windy) and back-up irons isn't a bad plan.

Last edited:
If the S really is H'ing T F, everything I've got would be suitable for personal/home defense, sustenance hunting, or tyrant control

shotgun w/ various barrels and loads from birdshot to slugs and everything in-between
.38/.357, 9mm and .45 handguns for defense while out & about
.308 AR for 'long range' work
.308 Gunsite Scout rifle if I have to be on the move
20" scoped 'target' AR for precise shots
AR carbine for holding a position and providing cover fire
10/22 for, well, whatever you need a .22 for...

Last edited:
Mosin Nagant M44 .. if the bullets don't kill 'em, I can stab 'em, set 'em on fire or cause 'em to go deaf from the concussion. And if I run out of ammo, the empty rifle is an effective club - I can bludgeon 'em to death.
I've got more than 3,000 rounds down the pipe of my M44 .. and every time I put a round in the chamber, close the bolt and pull the trigger, it goes KaBOOOOOOOM. Every. Time.

Last edited:
uh..... feel free to correct me, but my understanding of thermals.... is they do not care what time of day it is.

it just seems like a less than ideal optic during the day. Ambient temperature is higher so they’re not as good as at night, they’re range limited and humidity sensitive (if they’re like the handhelds), it’s clunky, the picture looks like shit compared to a glass lens, etc.

+1 for the vz.
Absolute workhorses, i'd grab mine or a fal.
View attachment 729522
By far the best SHTF rifle I own, and I own more than two or three.

I've long been curious how many fellow Vz58 brethren we have on NES. I think of it as a fairly "niche" rifle, but I'm pleased to see so many of them in this thread. There also seems to be a moderately strong correlation between Vz58 owners and FAL owners.

Good taste, that's for sure. [cheers]

Back
Top Bottom