USPSA Shotgun Match - New Bedford - Nov 22, 2009

This will be our last match of the season. 5 Stages of USPSA Shotgun fun (1 slug, 4 birdshot). Max round count will be 20 slugs and 75 birdshot. No steel or tungsten shot allowed. No metal piercing, incendiary or tracer rounds either. Registration starts at 9am, shooting at 9:30. $20 entry fee.

Three divisions:
Open: optical sights, compensators, 10 round mag capacity, speedloaders allowed, 20 gauge minimum.
Limited: iron sights only, no compensators, 8 round mag capacity, no speedloaders, 20 gauge minimum.
Heavy Metal: pump only, iron sights only, no compensators, 8 round mag capacity, no speedloaders, 12 gauge minimum.

Complete rules can be found here: http://www.uspsa.org/rules/2009ShotgunRules2-5.pdf

Please be prepared to help out during the stages as there will be lots of steel and other targets to reset.

Directions and info about the club can be found here: http://rodgun-nb.org

I wish I could make it. Knee surgery is being done on the afternoon of the 20th. Although, some friends offered to push me around the stages on an cart![grin]

Oh man... I really want to shoot this even though my equipment isn't the least bit appropriate for it (either a Beretta 391 field gun or a Mossberg 500 18.5" cylinder with just a five-shot tube)

so shoot it with the mossberg, you're not giving up all that much in heavy metal class, just the start with the 3 rounds extra, your reloads arent going to cost you any more time unless there is just a 10 round stage, and I highly doubt the NB guys would set up something that lame.

This will be my first shotgun match and I'm wondering about how we can carry extra ammo. Side-saddles, pouches mounted on the stock, ammo carriers built in the stock, etc. are there any restrictions? Do we have to load off of our belts or some type of ammo carrier? I'm going to be using shooting a Mossberg 590A, 12 ga. pump action, no compensator or speedloaders so I should be in the Heavy Metal division.

Also, I'm planning on leaving the gun in a case (with a chamber flag) and using a pull cart to transport the shotguns and ammo for 2-3 shooters. Looking over the rules posted I think I would be OK pulling the cart up to the start line and removing the shotgun from there or will we be able to unbag near the road and walk the gun to the start line?

This will be my first shotgun match and I'm wondering about how we can carry extra ammo. Side-saddles, pouches mounted on the stock, ammo carriers built in the stock, etc. are there any restrictions? Do we have to load off of our belts or some type of ammo carrier? I'm going to be using shooting a Mossberg 590A, 12 ga. pump action, no compensator or speedloaders so I should be in the Heavy Metal division.

Also, I'm planning on leaving the gun in a case (with a chamber flag) and using a pull cart to transport the shotguns and ammo for 2-3 shooters. Looking over the rules posted I think I would be OK pulling the cart up to the start line and removing the shotgun from there or will we be able to unbag near the road and walk the gun to the start line?

A bandolier as a belt would be a good, inexpensive way to hold shells for your first match. I'm not a believer in side saddles, I want to make the same motions for all my ammo, ie. off the belt. That's my thought anyway.
I doubt they'll let you bring a cart to the line. Racks should be at each stage to hold guns. If not, wheel the cart along, bring your cased shotgun to the line.

We're planning on 'pre-loading' competitors. When the shooter is on the line another RO will supervise the on deck competitor at a 'preload' table. The competitor will be allowed to load their magazine but not the chamber. After the shooter finishes the stage, it has been reset or taped, and the range is clear; the competitor will then be brought to the line and allowed to load the chamber and start the stage as required. Apparently this is pretty common at Cowboy matches and we hope this will speed up the match. Since most of us don't shoot our shotguns regularly it'd be a good idea if you practiced loading your shotgun in this manner. (NOTE: DON'T DO THIS WITH LIVE AMMO AT HOME - GO TO THE RANGE OR USE INERT ROUNDS). A simple thing like this can make the day go smoother for everybody.

Last edited:
I've got to get out more Dan[grin]

You need to play more games!

Remington Managed Recoil slugs are good. The Federal slugs are about 100 fps faster than the Remingtons, with the increase of recoil too. Stay away from the slugs moving at 1600-1800 fps! You're only shooting paper!

You need to play more games!

Remington Managed Recoil slugs are good. The Federal slugs are about 100 fps faster than the Remingtons, with the increase of recoil too. Stay away from the slugs moving at 1600-1800 fps! You're only shooting paper!

Mostly those games have been softball and basketball - my girls play both. Doesn't leave much time for the 'other' games.

+1 on the Remington Managed Recoil slugs.

-1 for not manning up
want me to bring some .410 slugs for you Scott?

Just because I've got a 3" chamber doesn't mean I'm going to use it. If I could get 'em, I'd shoot poofy 2 3/4 dram 7/8th ounce loads, kinda like them prissy boys that shoot those fancy over under shotguns on the skeet field [grin].

How is this done?

easy, tube sets.
briley and kolar are probably the most popular of the manufacturers of tube sets
the 5/8th ounce load i mentioned is a reduced charge 28 ga load.
I was able to load a 12ga down to 7/10ths to save shot when it went up over $30 a bag, and when you go through a bag or more a week, that gets expensive
Then I decided 12ga was just pointless to shoot when i can do the same thing with 28ga, and use a lot less shot. Of course, i can use less with 410, it just takes me a lot longer to load and the shells dont last anywhere near as long.

but back on topic-

I hope the weather is great for New Bedford this weekend.
anyone want to make this like a real shotgun event, and put side bets on this, a two man team, or a cash money purse?

I really wish you guys would stop posting on this thread!! It's got me really wanting to go and if blow the family off I'll be screwed and banished for life!

Back
Top Bottom