• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

WaPo: Why do Americans Own AR-15s

Me, when I build a new AR:

pardon-me-do-4m620y.jpg

4FDEB12D-FE0F-48BC-830F-5F12F30BE8C2.jpeg

And here I wondered why WaPo would wait until the end of March to publish data/analysis from a 30Sept-11Oct 2022 survey about AR15s. They’ve been working on their AR15 series for 7 months, they say. But why release it now? By the dates of the articles, it looks like they delayed publication from Monday, likely as the Nashville story would have competed, but that mass shooting now serves as a convenient platter on which to serve their combined DEI, extremists and guns story. They made that timing choice, then the Trump Indicted story broke to drown out the AR15 story 😢

There’s much more “meat” here to chew than their simple poll. One in 5 own ARs based on the 20 million sold figure? Buried in the article they note that most who own an AR15 own 2 or more. The only reason for WaPo to run with the notion that the AR15 is indeed in common use with 1 in 5 owning one is to push Biden, DOJ, AFT and SCOTUS to label it a “dangerous and unusual weapon”, confusing the term to “unusually dangerous”, to promote some bogus Executive Order or court rulings.

“Until last year, D contributed to far-left activism by serving as a street medic in the thick of racial justice demonstrations. The decision to take up arms came gradually, D said, in tandem with a rise in right-wing attacks on LGBTQ people. By June, D owned a handgun, and in early fall they began training with other leftists and saving up for a rifle. Now, D’s reluctant embrace of the AR-15 adds one more foot soldier to the volatile mix of armed movements that have proliferated over the past decade, a predominantly right-wing mobilization whose violence has fueled far-left “community defense” organizing in response.”

“Militants say they favor the AR-15 for all the same reasons mainstream enthusiasts do — it’s easy to handle, affordable and customizable — but they also exploit the fear surrounding the weapon. “It’s just a tool, an inanimate object, but it is polarizing, and it’ll make people treat you differently,” said Cody, 26, a member of an anti-government militia group near Norfolk, who spoke on the condition that his full name be withheld for security reasons. “It will make people treat you differently if you are armed with an AR-15.”

“It is one of several ways they are articulating that what they are doing is warfare,” said Kathleen Belew, a historian at Northwestern University and author of “Bring the War Home: The White Power Movement and Paramilitary America.” “The AR-15 remains the emblematic cultural weapon.”

Last edited:
I thought the people with the most money were the ones that had college degrees, which aren't the ones that own the most AR15s, compared to their lesser educated counterparts.

there was a time when that was probably true. Today with the proliferation of meaningless degrees a percentage of college grads will probably never make more than a truck driver, and will never make as much as an experienced tradesman.

ain't that America

The WaPo narrative appears to include the Leftists saving up for their $450 ARs - I guess those DEI college degrees and waiting tables doesn’t make much money. Presumably, with a case of 556 costing more than their rifles, they won’t have much ammo on hand. “Normal” for WaPo are liberals who volunteer as Street Medics for social justice protests and professors who work armed security for Leftist counterprotests.

Their right-wing extremist milia narrative was as expected, with a few interesting bits.

“The men balk at being lumped in with white supremacists under the “far-right extremists” label, noting that they’ve marched alongside armed black nationalists in Richmond. Manny, who expressed pride in his Puerto Rican heritage, said he wouldn’t have joined a racist group: “Gun rights are civil rights.” Members said their vetting of recruits includes intense questioning to weed out “St. Dylann crap,” a reference to racist fans of the neo-Nazi mass shooter who attacked a historically Black church in Charleston, S.C., in 2015. They say they also reject applicants who seem eager for violence, a way to filter for undercover informants or mentally unstable people. “I don’t wish to have a war against my government, but if it comes, hopefully I got the right group of people around me,” said a member who goes by Hoss.“

They keep 3%ers, Proud Boys and Bugaloos in their story to keep the Capitol Insurrection theme alive for the Leftists. I find it funny that they post their pictures with guns on social media to imply their are not soft targets. Like “Here’s me sitting on a tank - don’t Eff with me.”

“Anne, a 35-year-old academic and activist, said she started out as an ordinary liberal protester calling for the removal of Confederate statues in North Carolina and elsewhere in the South. By speaking out publicly, Anne landed in the crosshairs of white supremacists and, later, members of the Proud Boys, a far-right group with a history of violence… In 2021, she bought her own AR-15, not long after posing on Twitter with a friend’s rifle as a warning to her stalkers. “Nazis get very arrogant and think that because they have AR-15s, they can do anything or kill anyone who disagrees with them,” she said. “When I posted that photo, they can tell that I’m serious about defending myself and they should think twice before trying to murder me.”

That reminds me to change the battery on my G19’s RMR before I get out shooting - in between being an Internet Warrior I like to hit the gym, get outdoors hiking and keep my shooting skills at least middling.

Last edited:
Having been a person who has had the cops stacked up at he front door , twice to take my guns. You ask yourself for a moment…. Do I go out in a blaze of glory over this and risk sitting in a cage or give them up and live to fight another day. They don’t make it easy

You are part of the problem.
Haha ok Doctor. You just sit there and believe in your little head you have rights. They are not rights when the govt restricts them and takes them away. Yeah yeah you can wave your flag and quote Hamilton and Jefferson etc. but the fact is you are no more than a player in this game. You will slowly succumb to giving up little by little without notice. It’s already happened over the last 10 years and it is accelerating. Meanwhile you blame those who call it what it is so you can feel good about yourself. The problem is more people who “think” they actually have unfettered rights that your politicians will protect. No, they won’t ,they will do the opposite. 98% need you to be more enslaves and they are marching you there. So don’t shoot the messenger I’m just telling you what is occurring.
Just so you know, a "semi-auto" bullet is much more killy:

hmmm my 300 win disagrees.

Just so you know, a "semi-auto" bullet is much more killy:

From the article comparing 9mm to an AR;

Griggs said. "Instead of, for example, if the bullet traveled through the lung, instead of a hole in the lung, we're looking at an exploded lung."

I thought the president said that 9mm would blow the lungs out of your body?

Having been a person who has had the cops stacked up at he front door , twice to take my guns. You ask yourself for a moment…. Do I go out in a blaze of glory over this and risk sitting in a cage or give them up and live to fight another day. They don’t make it easy

Inquiring minds want to know...

Im more swat team rolls in my boxers night vision and plate carrier with a camel back full of burbon

But hey man i appreciate diversity so you do you
Yeah, Crocs and camo cargo shorts here but the WaPo stats show AR owners are affluent. Reminds me we are running low on capers. What a tragedy it would be to have to eat caviar without...

The NRA's response was kind of lame. I would have asked the hogg if he as ever spent time talking to a Russian or Cuban immigrant. What is a childs life like in a country when there are no checks on government authority.

The NRA's response was kind of lame. I would have asked the hogg if he as ever spent time talking to a Russian or Cuban immigrant. What is a childs life like in a country when there are no checks on government authority.
It's what him and his ilk are working towards.

It's what him and his ilk are working towards.

He and his ilk are all little control freaks. The problem I think is that the NRA's response referring to the second amendment is too abstract for the average joe/jane s**t the ragperson. The hoggs emotionally based talking point is more powerful than the NRA's tepid, academic response. People need to realize what governments can do without the threat of pushback. An even better response to the hogg would have been a picture of jewish families and children being herded onto the trains, perhaps with a caption to the affect "see what happens to children when the adults can't fight back."

Then you could ask the hogg, or any other progressive taking this tangent - "what is worse, three dozen children over the course of a year murdered in school shootings, or hundreds of children a year being murdered in gas chambers?" When they accuse you of being melodramatic because there are no camps in America, tell them to google Japanese internment camps.

they can`t wait to enforce russian/chinese system in there. therefore all the talk about 'enemies of the people'. as all the possessions and property of 'enemies of the people' get confiscated by the state.
it is a very tasty carrot - the promise of unlimited expropriations of wealth and social restructuring - 'for whom were nobodies to become everything' . they really, really want it.

If you have an AR you have a 56% chance of making over 100k
18% of Americans make 100k+
34% of households make 100k
Having a AR, if the poll was true would be one of the biggest indicators of making 100k+
You would have every unrelated company direct marking to AR owners

But they took a bs small sample group (low effort poll)
What percent of wapo readers earn over 100k? Was that the sample population?

7FB710DA-01ED-4321-8C7D-F1528EA4B1F0.jpeg

Ruger wouldn’t talk with WaPo or give them a tour - I can’t imagine why… There’s s subtle condemnation slant to the article - a gun manufacturer paying a little better for common folk to make “weapons of war”. Something elite Leftists would readily sense to confirm their moral high ground.

"Ruger, which is based in Southport, Conn., announced it was coming to town in 2013, less than a year after the mass killing at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., that left 26 dead — including 20 children — and prompted Connecticut to pass some of the nation’s strictest gun laws. They include requiring universal background checks, expanding the state’s assault weapons ban, and banning the sale of gun magazines with a capacity of more than 10 rounds. The laws did not affect the ability of gun companies to manufacture in the state, but they served as a forceful cultural rejection of the industry. Ruger began production at its North Carolina facility in 2014..."

"After Sandy Hook, none of the state’s new laws were aimed at shuttering gun manufacturers. But the general climate in Connecticut felt undeniably less hospitable to gun companies."

"The company declined repeated requests for interviews and a tour of the factory, and did not respond to a detailed list of questions from The Post…."

"After Ruger arrived here, its AR-15 rifle and pistol variants were used in some of the nation’s deadliest mass killings. The shooter who massacred 26 people in Sutherland Springs, Tex., in 2017 used a Ruger AR-15 rifle, and the shooter who gunned down 10 people in Boulder, Colo., in 2021 used a Ruger semiautomatic pistol, according to a House Oversight and Reform Committee report in 2022."

Back
Top Bottom