What’s with all the hype here for the Glock 19?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hold my beer. How about 15 (+1) rounds of 10mm?

Nah. Tried one once. The trigger sucked and it’s an odd ball gun.

I have a G20 for 10mm

So you’ve shot an FN510? The FNS9 and FN509 triggers are pretty bad, but the 510 was surprisingly good relative to the others.
I finger f***ed a few. I was not impressed

Maybe they are better now. But it was a 10 lb pull with a crap reset.

My favorite is/was a HK VP9 striker trigger.

Maybe it's just me, but I like the semi older Glocks better than the newer ones. I had a Gen4 G19 that I just didn't like. Sold it and bought a Gen3 G19. Much better, least for me...
Gen 4 was worse than Gen 3 in several ways, but Gen 5 is definitely a couple steps forward.

I had a gen 4 that would stovepipe every 3-4 rds with preban 15rd u notch mags. I cleaned, left racked for two weeks, tried different ammo from 115gr to 147gr and it just didn’t run right. Sent it back to Glock and they returned it, still didn’t run right. Ran better but not enough that I’d trust my life on it.

Do you think the u notch magazines were less reliable? Or made the gun less reliable? I honestly haven’t heard of those. But I’m assuming they were older as you mentioned they were pre-ban. Have you had any chance to try that particular gun with newer magazines?

And you want to talk about shitty triggers? Glock has cornered the shitty trigger striker fired market.

Not sure if serious, the newer FN triggers are like dragging a non wheeled dumpster over gravel with a chain. Euchh.

ETA: admittedly I havent tried the 510 yet but frankly I dont care what FN makes, because the gun won't get anywhere and wont get any support.

Functionally speaking Canik will likely outsell FN's mainstream handguns. [rofl]

I finger f***ed a few. I was not impressed

Maybe they are better now. But it was a 10 lb pull with a crap reset.

My favorite is/was a HK VP9 striker trigger.
The 510 has a 5.5-6 lb trigger with a decently short reset. Again, the 509 trigger is terrible but FN did something with the 510 to make it not terrible. I love my VP9 tactical. Fantastic trigger out of the box, that said, the PPQ and PDP triggers are slightly better.

Do you think the u notch magazines were less reliable? Or made the gun less reliable? I honestly haven’t heard of those. But I’m assuming they were older as you mentioned they were pre-ban. Have you had any chance to try that particular gun with newer magazines?
Yes, it didn’t like the 10 rounders that came with it either. It was hot garbage.

The 510 has a 5.5-6 lb trigger with a decently short reset.

Is it scrapey ass shit like its contemporaries? The 509 isnt heavy, but its f***ing gritty as hell. The 509s I dry fired were infinitely worse than even the FNSs I tried, the FNS was just heavy, but at least cleaner.

Is it scrapey ass shit like its contemporaries? The 509 isnt heavy, but its f***ing gritty as hell. The 509s I dry fired were infinitely worse than even the FNSs I tried, the FNS was just heavy, but at least cleaner.
Go check out a 510 and let me know what you think. Don’t take my word for it.

Go check out a 510 and let me know what you think. Don’t take my word for it.

next time I'm around my numeours purveyors of fine handguns I will ask around if they have or are getting one and fingerbang it a bit.

So full disclosure, I own a G19 and it’s a decent handgun. But I’m not getting all the hype here for it. What am I missing?

Just looked. There are 5 of them for sale in the classifieds. Some are demanding a pretty penny for them.
Because the 17 is too big for NES members and their fragile wrists.

Remember the most workout most people get around here are bicep curls of chicken wings and beer.

Last edited:
the G19 is the #1 selling gun that is best at absolutely nothing. g17/g34 are better range guns. g43x is a better CCW. (if we are sticking to glocks).

If we move outside glocks, the glock has the WORST trigger of any striker fired gun being made. It has a horrible grip angle that if you train with optics, you either use glock or you use EVERY OTHER gun made.

So while I sell LOTS of them I own none of them. The only striker fire gun I own and actually shoot is a Canik TP9SFx. They at least know how to make a good trigger out of the box.

Interesting.
I found the Glock Gen 5 trigger to be fine.
It is not USPSA ready, but it isn't the garbage everyone talks about.

I replace triggers in almost all my guns so if a gun has a piece of sh*t trigger (like a SP 2022 or a 22/45) I don't mind saying it.

Because the 17 is too big for NES members and their fragile wrists.

Remember the most workout most people get arpund here are bicep curls of chicken wings and beer.
I have a 34, which is even bigger than a 17. (Actually, I have three of them…).

But the 17 is too big for me to conceal easily. So I carry the 19 instead. And since I use a red dot, the reduced sight radius is not an issue.

I have a 34, which is even bigger than a 17. (Actually, I have three of them…).

But the 17 is too big for me to conceal easily. So I carry the 19 instead. And since I use a red dot, the reduced sight radius is not an issue.
CCW is an acceptable reason to own a 19.

I also have a 34, I love it.

The Gen 4 19 was, by far, the most unreliable Glock I’ve owned.
Yeah my first one was like that. Turns out it was the 0-4 recoil spring. Bought another and it came with the 0-4-3 and seems like Glock finally fixed the whole "Perfection" thing. Still don't hand it to a limp wristing noob tho lol.

Interesting.
I found the Glock Gen 5 trigger to be fine.
It is not USPSA ready, but it isn't the garbage everyone talks about.

I replace triggers in almost all my guns so if a gun has a piece of sh*t trigger (like a SP 2022 or a 22/45) I don't mind saying it.

It kinda is, out of the box, the 34 out of the box is slightly less garbagey. I have OCCs in most of mine mated with OEM minus connectors, and also a bunch of Apex kits, both of which seem to work pretty well in giving me that 20% less garbagey feel, but WRT uspsa ready.... frankly the bottom class of shooters (like me, lol) none of that shit matters anyways. I will lose more points on a stage from something like an engagement failure than anything like a gun inaccuracy problem or something like that. I am interested in trying out the new Glock OEM performance trigger or whatever the f*** its called, I just picked it up the other day.

One thing that stands out to me is that almost everyone I know that owns a Glock, that actually shoots the thing, modifies it in some way.
Show me a Glock with a factory trigger, sights and mag release and I will show you someone that doesn't shoot very often.

Very much like the M&P/ Shield guys. "Once I got a new trigger, it became my favorite gun."
So it begs the question, why doesn't Glock just make the gun with a decent trigger? I mean, the guys at Glock must hear all of the same things we do.

If the guy behind the counter handed John Wick a factory Glock out of the box, he would have said, "Nope"

I've ended up with a bunch of Glocks at this point and I'm about to buy my second G19.
  • Utterly reliable. I went to a two day class and it rained almost the entire time. After the first day some guys rushed home to clean and lube their guns; some swapped guns entirely; I just put my Glock in the bag wet, took it out the next morning, and shot the second day without a hiccup.
  • Huge aftermarket. Ran into this with my Masada - great gun but virtually impossible to find parts for. This isn't an issue with Glock.
  • I love that Glocks come in various sizes and calibers but they all feel the same - same grip angle, same ergonomics, same triggers (more or less), etc. It makes life so easy when all my guns function and point the same, from competition to home defense to carry. This even applies across generations. Huge selling point for me, especially as I'm getting into red dots.
  • Glocks are very safe, more so than even the popular P365.

I heard the G19 was the holy grail of handguns. Makes you shoot straight and might even protect you while you are sleeping.
Mine was barking at the noise coming from my driveway last night !! None of my 1911's have done that !! :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom