What’s with all the hype here for the Glock 19?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should come with a set of bowling pins.
Go to your local bowling alley, ask them if they have pins they are gonna throw away, you get them for free. Make a saw-horse, bolt pins to a hinge, run cross bar against the back of the pins, attach lever to end of cross bar with rope.

Once you weight the saw horse, you can reset the pin with a rope. Last time I built one of these, it cost me about $30 and asking a friend of my father to do some quick and dirty welds. Some a-hole family member of mine ended up destroying the pin set up with a bunch of slugs and buckshot.

Reactions: p..
Because the 17 is too big for NES members and their fragile wrists.

Remember the most workout most people get around here are bicep curls of chicken wings and beer.
Bicep curling a handle of Berkshire Brewing Company is a surprising workout.

MOU6QS4KXRFZVBBDYSNZ7KYTSA.jpg

I replace triggers in almost all my guns so if a gun has a piece of sh*t trigger (like a SP 2022 or a 22/45) I don't mind saying it.

Interesting in that my 22/45 had one of the best triggers out of the box that I'd experienced in a while when I bought it. Use if for pin shoots and the thing is awesome. Unfortunately I let my wife shoot it and somehow it's now her gun! [thinking]

I have a G20 in 10mm and before I bought it I read a few posts about it being too powerful for the “unsupported” slide/frame set up. Not my experience but a lot of talk about it right or wrong.
not supported? i'm thinking you're not quite sure what that means. the unsupported case head issue with the then new 40 s&w was rectified 30+ years ago. my g20 certainly shows no sign of it. not calling you out mr. rivr1, respectfully, you may be confusing something else with "unsupported." or i am.... have no fear shooting your 20. i pound full house 10mm loads through mine regularly. still a tight gun. full disclosure, i did buy a replacement barrel to take full advantage of lead reloads but that's just a rifling issue.

of course you could be onto an issue i'm not aware of. as i got older i only half read things. lol

So full disclosure, I own a G19 and it’s a decent handgun. But I’m not getting all the hype here for it. What am I missing?

Just looked. There are 5 of them for sale in the classifieds. Some are demanding a pretty penny for them.
My G19 is my favorite gun I never shoot. It’s the classic “Jack of all trades, master of none” gun.

I have a G19 Gen 3 and a G17 Gen 4 MOS. I like the G17. I love the G19. If I could only keep one handgun, it would be my G19. Light, fits my hand well, easy to shoot, reliable decent capacity and I've customized it to my personal preferences for performance and looks. I also expect in a SHTF situation, I will find mags and parts easier than many other pistols. That is just a bonus of course.

It should also say something when a 27 year old design (Gen 3) doesn't need to be replaced with the latest and greatest because it just works as is.

Interesting.
I found the Glock Gen 5 trigger to be fine.
It is not USPSA ready, but it isn't the garbage everyone talks about.

I replace triggers in almost all my guns so if a gun has a piece of sh*t trigger (like a SP 2022 or a 22/45) I don't mind saying it.
this is like talking to a blind man about the color of the sunset.

since I have 100 glocks in stock it is very easy for me to try a bunch and see what the range of bad to horrible they are. They all are close.

takeup: long with a little bit of resistance. So not smooth takeup so much as a little fight against more resistance than I would expect or have on other triggers.
wall: no wall. you get to a point where the resistance jumps, but you are still traveling as if through quicksand with an occasional rock under foot (grit)
break: its a surprise and not because you don't know how much pressure it takes to overcome the wall (no wall), but you don't know how far your trip through the quicksand will be

One of the worst things about the trigger happens next. When the slide cycles and the process of reseting the trigger starts, the tigger moves! it starts to move forward like a trip over a poorly maintained dirt road. Your trigger finger gets taken for a rough little ride. No other gun has this "feature" or at least this bad.

Then reset. It is long (far longer than any canik or walther or cz polymer). It is positive in that you know when reset occurs. But now you are pulling again through quicksand...

The G19 is the #1 sold handgun in the world. Ultimate symbol of no frills utilitarianism.
It’s a base model pickup.
Not fancy, a little boring, fires up every time, and works for me.

That and the aftermarket support is too good to ignore. Other brands are close, but the use of Glock mags for other platforms are extraordinary

If I could only have one gun it would definitely be my Sig Tacops 1911 and my Glock45 MOS.
I love that gun.

One thing that stands out to me is that almost everyone I know that owns a Glock, that actually shoots the thing, modifies it in some way.
Show me a Glock with a factory trigger, sights and mag release and I will show you someone that doesn't shoot very often.

Very much like the M&P/ Shield guys. "Once I got a new trigger, it became my favorite gun."
So it begs the question, why doesn't Glock just make the gun with a decent trigger? I mean, the guys at Glock must hear all of the same things we do.

If the guy behind the counter handed John Wick a factory Glock out of the box, he would have said, "Nope"

I only put sights on my glocks that have the shit plastic ones because every gun should have tritium sights. Beside that all our glocks are stock. I've never replaced a trigger, firing pin, barrel, etc. They work and are more accurate than 99% of shooters. I have a few glocks with over 10k rounds through them. Zero failures.

Edit: Correction, I have a flared magwell on a G34 for my battle belt.

One thing that stands out to me is that almost everyone I know that owns a Glock, that actually shoots the thing, modifies it in some way.
Show me a Glock with a factory trigger, sights and mag release and I will show you someone that doesn't shoot very often.

Very much like the M&P/ Shield guys. "Once I got a new trigger, it became my favorite gun."
So it begs the question, why doesn't Glock just make the gun with a decent trigger? I mean, the guys at Glock must hear all of the same things we do.

If the guy behind the counter handed John Wick a factory Glock out of the box, he would have said, "Nope"
Glocks, AR's, cars, motorcycles, I could go on the list of things that get modded. I have a list of mods for my Glocks that are for increased shootability like fiber/tritium sights, improved trigger, steel recoil rod, etc, then I have mods that are mostly cosmetic because I don't know any guy who can just leave shit stock...

Glocks are the barbie of the handgun world...

The only reason they're popular here is because you can't have them. Or at least you can't go buy them new from a gun shop.

Same reason BMWs are considered exquisite here. You go over to Europe and they're looked at it like Toyota Camrys. They use them for taxi cabs over there, run of the middle cookie cutter stuff...... just like the Glock.

The scarcity is what drives the novelty.

The only reason they're popular here is because you can't have them. Or at least you can't go buy them new from a gun shop.

Same reason BMWs are considered exquisite here. You go over to Europe and they're looked at it like Toyota Camrys. They use them for taxi cabs over there, run of the middle cookie cutter stuff...... just like the Glock.

The scarcity is what drives the novelty.
You are going to the wrong gun shops

I've ended up with a bunch of Glocks at this point and I'm about to buy my second G19.
  • Utterly reliable. I went to a two day class and it rained almost the entire time. After the first day some guys rushed home to clean and lube their guns; some swapped guns entirely; I just put my Glock in the bag wet, took it out the next morning, and shot the second day without a hiccup.
  • Huge aftermarket. Ran into this with my Masada - great gun but virtually impossible to find parts for. This isn't an issue with Glock.
  • I love that Glocks come in various sizes and calibers but they all feel the same - same grip angle, same ergonomics, same triggers (more or less), etc. It makes life so easy when all my guns function and point the same, from competition to home defense to carry. This even applies across generations. Huge selling point for me, especially as I'm getting into red dots.
  • Glocks are very safe, more so than even the popular P365.
The Kalishnikov of pistols.

So full disclosure, I own a G19 and it’s a decent handgun. But I’m not getting all the hype here for it. What am I missing?

Just looked. There are 5 of them for sale in the classifieds. Some are demanding a pretty penny for them.
You know how there are people out there regardless whether they have $$$ or not, they have to have the "latest and the greatest". Well, it's similar, they want it because the State says they cannot have one and they feel they "beat the system" because they found a way to have one. Besides, you can't beat reliability. ;)
Personally, I'd take a FN509M or a SA XDM Elite over a Glock.

It's crazy how many people think that Glocks aren't on the roster.
Yes, they are on the roster. But the big print giveth and the small print taketh away. Quoting:

"Massachusetts licensed firearms dealers should note that the transfers of handguns are also subject to the Attorney General’s Handgun Sales Regulations, 940 CMR 16.00, et seq. Firearms on this Approved Firearms Roster do not necessarily comply with the requirements of the Attorney General’s Handgun Sales Regulations."

hello folks,i'm in florida. soon to be back in mass (ugh). i see the glocks in mass. selling for about the same as florida. i understood thw thing about mags. was how old the mags are, not the gun >> for the glock lovers, try giving the psa daggers a try. i'v had a half a dozen or so. i buy the bbls on sale and the complete frames on sale. so for about $350 i have a same-same glock 19 for half the price. they shoot very good,dec3ent triggers. just my 2 cents...`

You know how there are people out there regardless whether they have $$$ or not, they have to have the "latest and the greatest". Well, it's similar, they want it because the State says they cannot have one and they feel they "beat the system" because they found a way to have one. Besides, you can't beat reliability. ;)
Personally, I'd take a FN509M or a SA XDM Elite over a Glock.

Not really lol

The G19 is popular all over the US.

hello folks,i'm in florida. soon to be back in mass (ugh). i see the glocks in mass. selling for about the same as florida. i understood thw thing about mags. was how old the mags are, not the gun >> for the glock lovers, try giving the psa daggers a try. i'v had a half a dozen or so. i buy the bbls on sale and the complete frames on sale. so for about $350 i have a same-same glock 19 for half the price. they shoot very good,dec3ent triggers. just my 2 cents...`
PSA dagger is on my list to try. The reviews seem overwhelming positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom