• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What am I missing?

As a person who deals with thousands of customers, I'm not quick to accept one person's anecdotal response at face value. I deal with unreasonable people everyday, offering solutions they don't like. I've never had an issue dealing with BCM in over a decade. PSA certainly didn't offer to replace my BCGs when I reported them.

Forgive me.......I just caught the last sentence here^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. Did you ask or had you already tried to correct their product?
Any company that wouldn't want a defective part back to check it and see whether their contract source is delivering a bad product would be acting counter to their own best interests. I'm just not buying the story.

Gotta do it............[bs][bs][bs]

Last edited:
Hi-Point offers a transferrable, lifetime guarantee on all of their firearms. 100% serious.

Now that you mention it, I do remember a gunsmith mentioning them..........Thank You.

He also said he's never had one back for warranty service.

Last edited:
Dude, beleive whatever you want. Let me know how they actually treat you when you have a problem.

Quoting my entire post is easier than editing and cherry picking it. It also places things in their proper context.

It's not solely what I believe, it is the fact that a company normally isn't going to do what you claim, that is the crux of the matter.
By editing you are actually tipping credibility out of your favor.

Either way, I'll be sure to post any issue regarding PSA if I happen to have one.

If you buy PSA premium parts with a CHF barrel I would say you got a very good value in an AR-15 rifle.
Mil-spec is thrown around by what ever that manufacturer says theirs are made to.
BCM does not manufacture their own parts. They even had bolts break and other quality issues.
I've read of Daniel Defense horror stories with rifle problems.
Lots of top tier AR-15 rifle manufacturers have had problems too.

Only Colt and FN have the actual data package as supplied by the United States Military.
Even then do they really follow them when they build civilian rifles?
If so how would anyone know?

When run hot and fast you will see that some lower quality AR-15 rifles fail.
Now, lots of things can cause that including crappy ammo, bad magazines, improper lubrication and lack of cleaning.
Some fixes for a low tier rifle may only cost a few bucks for say a better extractor spring kit.
Other fixes may cost more.

I look at how I shoot and if there is a problem I simply replace a part.
Most parts for an AR-15 are cheap. Know what are good parts and replace any that fail or are of lessor quality.

Buying an $2000.00 AR15 rifle and saying it runs better than a PSA made with their highest grade parts has been proven to be a false statement.
Every manufacturer has let out stinkers. PSA does seem to let out more than most. But I think their volume is higher because of their lower prices.
They are getting better at handling problems and that is a risk people are willing to take at their price point.
Not everyone can afford a Colt or $2000.00 AR-15.
Knowing what parts are in your rifle and who made them are just as or more important than the name on the side of the lower receiver.

Again, if it is not a Colt it's just a copy..LOL

Good points. I will add that a differnet type of person buys a $2000 gun vs the $500 version. The person that spends $2000 on a gun will on average spend more time cleaning and lubing their gun. They will generally treat it all around better than the person that spends $500. How much does that contribute to success/failure of a gun part?

It is kind of like private school for kids. Generally speaking, the parents that send their kids to private school understand the value and investment in a good education. They generally care more and are more supportive about their kids education and grades. Although I agree that a private school does offer a better education, how much of that is due to school vs the supportive home environment.

I'll just leave this here.

View: https://youtu.be/vIAdJGHeDOI

Of the 45 or so BCGs I own ( none of which are BCM) none of them look like that. Sure it wouldn't affect function but for supposed QC they have and the triple or more price they charge one would think that carrier would have been canned.

Again, a bad part can slip through from any company......but BCM told the guy "to get bent". Hmmm, that makes me want to spend my money there.......not!

What do people expect from milspec, only the parts that need a specific finish and tolerance will be “nice” no more or no less
Just think of what ARs would have looked like if manufactured under same extremes as WWII Garands and such.
That seems like a lot if “brass” for test fire?

Last edited:
Now that you mention it, I do remember a gunsmith mentioning them..........Thank You.

He also said he's never had one back for warranty service.
My friend sent his hi point back after years of abuse, reloads even. His was no longer ejecting . New hi point came back . Crazy although with hi point its probably cheaper to ship a new gun vs taking the time to fix it?

What do people expect from milspec, only the parts that need a specific finish and tolerance will be “nice” no more or no less
Just think of what ARs would have looked like if manufactured under same extremes as WWII Garands and such.
That seems like a lot if “brass” for test fire?

Agree,

I stated that I'm function over fashion. I wouldn't have made a beef about machining marks on a non critical suface but some people put these rifles into the catagory of "art" and if it doesn't look right, they'll complain......which is their right as a high price paying purchaser.

As for the brass coloration on the bolt face, Not really, I've bought several that looked just like it....its just the way it is.

My friend sent his hi point back after years of abuse, reloads even. His was no longer ejecting . New hi point came back . Crazy although with hi point its probably cheaper to ship a new gun vs taking the time to fix it?

Might very well be, postage is getting pretty expensive.

Agree,

I stated that I'm function over fashion. I wouldn't have made a beef about machining marks on a non critical suface but some people put these rifles into the catagory of "art" and if it doesn't look right, they'll complain......which is their right as a high price paying purchaser.

As for the brass coloration on the bolt face, Not really, I've bought several that looked just like it....its just the way it is.
Are they testing proof rounds ? I dont rhink I have that much brass transfer on my rifles with many more rounds.
Honestly thoufh I dont really look. My ARs dont see much in way of inspection ir cleaning until I get dirty just handling it.

Are they testing proof rounds ? I dont rhink I have that much brass transfer on my rifles with many more rounds.
Honestly thoufh I dont really look. My ARs dont see much in way of inspection ir cleaning until I get dirty just handling it.

Some are fired with proof rounds,( BCM advertises that theirs are) and some are just function tested with normal fmj.

Good points. I will add that a differnet type of person buys a $2000 gun vs the $500 version. The person that spends $2000 on a gun will on average spend more time cleaning and lubing their gun. They will generally treat it all around better than the person that spends $500. How much does that contribute to success/failure of a gun part?

It is kind of like private school for kids. Generally speaking, the parents that send their kids to private school understand the value and investment in a good education. They generally care more and are more supportive about their kids education and grades. Although I agree that a private school does offer a better education, how much of that is due to school vs the supportive home environment.

Well maybe....I clean and lube my guns after shooting everytime, at minimum chamber and bore using a bore snake on rifles and maybe a bit more on pistols because they just get dirtier.
I do this if its a $50 .22 plinker or a $3500 .50bmg......it just makes sense....to me anyway.

ARs are not a monetary investment unless you are buying parts in bulk at a reduced rate and building them and selling them new. Few people are going to buy a second hand AR ( fired especially) for any inflated ( close to new) price these days when they can buy/build a new one for much the same money. Of course the obvious exception is in ban states where " preban" commands a premium. In other unrestricted places, theres racks full of them ( new ones) in gunshops.
Therefore, if its approached as an investmemt( monetarily) its a losing proposition.

Last edited:
I've built some pretty nice PSA Premium Rifles for less than $600.00.
I have a PSA 10.5" SBR with a CHF barrel was around $500.00.
The barrel and bolt carrier group are well made as is the 7075 buffer tube.
The rest of the lower receiver I could care less about.
It has a Geissele trigger in it now.
That is one light, reliable and fun gun!

I keep my guns and mags clean and use quality ammo.

I know lots of people like Wolf ammo. I don't care for it.
It's weak and dirty. I would rather spend time shooting than having a gun malfunction or be a dirty stinking mess to clean.

If you understand where PSA parts may fall short compared to other parts and am willing to research what are quality parts to have in an AR-15.
They offer a value that in this flooded market is undeniable.
At little extra for a better small part if it needs it and you should be good to go!

We are in the heyday of AR-15 parts and easy access to info about who makes quality parts and what makes a quality part.

They will never be a Colt, but they sure have a lot of quality FN made parts and offer some of the same parts as other higher tier manufacturers do at a fraction of their cost!

Last edited:
Here is a good article that details some problems top tier AR manufacturers have had and how they corrected them.
It also goes into Quality Control for Military contract guns and the hoops these manufacturers go through.
Im guessing that some of the parts that fail these quality control tests get sent to lower tier manufacturers like PSA.
I am not and have not knocked PSA rifles or anyone who buys them, but there is a difference in quality control.
That being said, a $500 dollar AR is better than NO AR.

Last edited:
I've built some pretty nice PSA Premium Rifles for less than $600.00.
I have a PSA 10.5" SBR with a CHF barrel was around $500.00.
The barrel and bolt carrier group are well made as is the 7075 buffer tube.
The rest of the lower receiver I could care less about.
It has a Geissele trigger in it now.
That is one light, reliable and fun gun!

I keep my guns and mags clean and use quality ammo.

I know lots of people like Wolf ammo. I don't care for it.
It's weak and dirty. I would rather spend time shooting than having a gun malfunction or be a dirty stinking mess to clean.

If you understand where PSA parts may fall short compared to other parts and am willing to research what are quality parts to have in an AR-15.
They offer a value that in this flooded market is undeniable.
At little extra for a better small part if it needs it and you should be good to go!

We are in the heyday of AR-15 parts and easy access to info about who makes quality parts and what makes a quality part.

They will never be a Colt, but they sure have a lot of quality FN made parts and offer some of the same parts as other higher tier manufacturers do at a fraction of their cost!
Do we know who makes Colts parts?
at one point it was Continental Tool?

I do believe it was CMT.
But we will never hear it officially.
PSA makes an inexpensive AR-15 affordable to people that don’t have or just don’t want to spend a ton on something they will customize or improve as the own it.

Back
Top Bottom