What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Just bought some Vihtavuori powder (N320). I've never tried it. Gonna head out to the shop and work up some new loads. Anyone else running it in 9mm?

Just bought some Vihtavuori powder (N320). I've never tried it. Gonna head out to the shop and work up some new loads. Anyone else running it in 9mm?

Yup. Bought 8 pounds over the summer as a replacement powder for Titegroup. Let's just say I'll never use TG again. I run 4 gr of N320 under a 125 gr JHP. So much cleaner than TG and doesn't stain the muzzle or the cases like TG. Also it's an extruded powder - like IMR or Hodgdon rifle stick powders but smaller grains so it meters well.

8 pounds should last a long time when you only use 4 gr.

Also making some 357 Mag, got a good deal on 500 pcs of new brass and 500 158gr bullets in the classifieds.
Just finished loading them up with 7.5 gr of AutoComp and a col 1.600. They are a little on the Hot side should be fun.

Dean

Yup. Bought 8 pounds over the summer as a replacement powder for Titegroup. Let's just say I'll never use TG again. I run 4 gr of N320 under a 125 gr JHP. So much cleaner than TG and doesn't stain the muzzle or the cases like TG. Also it's an extruded powder - like IMR or Hodgdon rifle stick powders but smaller grains so it meters well.

14,000 rounds if my math is correct! [rofl]

Also making some 357 Mag, got a good deal on 500 pcs of new brass and 500 158gr bullets in the classifieds.
Just finished loading them up with 7.5 gr of AutoComp and a col 1.600. They are a little on the Hot side should be fun.

Dean

Glad you were looking for 357 brass - worked out well for the both of us lol. Interesting that I also got a good deal on 158 gr bullets in the classifieds. $50 for 682 pulled Speer 158 gr JHPs.

Never tried AutoComp. My fav go-to 357 powder is 2400. I save the H110/296 for 44 mag and 30 carbine.

14,000 rounds if my math is correct! [rofl]

Bingo! [laugh]

Not to mention 1/2lb of TG, 4lbs of Power Pistol, and 3lbs of Bullseye - I should be good for the next election....Though PP and Bullseye are used for my Tokarev and light 357/44 mag loads not just 9mm.

- - - Updated - - -

Most USPSA shooters I know.

Yeah it seems like N320 and WST is popular with USPSA and IDPA shooters in my experience. It's well worth the added penny per round when using N320 instead of TG.

Bingo! [laugh]

Not to mention 1/2lb of TG, 4lbs of Power Pistol, and 3lbs of Bullseye - I should be good for the next election....Though PP and Bullseye are used for my Tokarev and light 357/44 mag loads not just 9mm.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah it seems like N320 and WST is popular with USPSA and IDPA shooters in my experience. It's well worth the added penny per round when using N320 instead of TG.

I don't mind TG staining my cases and I still don't get that residue on myself you had that day.. I guess it discolors the end of my gun,but its black anyways not some fancy shiny thing !! Lol

I don't mind TG staining my cases and I still don't get that residue on myself you had that day.. I guess it discolors the end of my gun,but its black anyways not some fancy shiny thing !! Lol

Yeah I'm not sure what the issue is with the residue or fouling all over my arms. I crimp enough to remove the flare and I push down on the bullets to see if they move at all but they don't. So crimp doesn't seem to be the issue. Once I switched to N320 that seemed to disappear. Might be that TG burns dirty at lower charges?

Haha yes it was much more noticeable on my shiny CZ than a black gun lol. Also the case staining doesn't bother me as it comes right off during tumbling but I just thought I'd mention that (issue?) when using TG.

Last edited:
I sized/deprimed the last (I hope) of my .mil brass, around 500 cases. Then off to the drill press to take off the primer crimp with the Weldon bit, and then trim with the Little Crow Gunworks case trimmer. Those two tools made that work SO MUCH FASTER than any other methods I've used.

I don't know if the brass was dirty or what, but it kept scratching my Redding FL sizing die. I checked with Redding and they say you can polish it with 400+ grit wet paper wrapped around a piece of dowel to remove embedded material, so I did that with 600 grit. Four times. If the scratches were lighter I would have ignored them, but since I could feel them with my finger I wanted to nip that in the bud. I've never had that problem before so I'm thinking it was that batch of brass that had been sitting out in my reloading room for quite some time.

Tomorrow I hope to hit these cases with the chamfer tool and they'll be ready for loading!

I've been so lazy about brass cleaning. I have three full 5gal pails of 223 and 9mm to clean up. Maybe this weekend I'll get to it. I really need to rinse and sift it before I tumble. I shot a lot in the rain last month and hrs all pretty grimy.

Picked up some more Hornady 180XTPs for .44 MAG and some Berrys 185gr .45ACP bullets. Havent found much for load data for the CFE pistol powder I am using. Hodgdon lists only this one load, I think I might start at the hot end of the spectrum, 7.6gr

BULLET WEIGHT185 GR. HDY JSWC

ManufacturerHodgdon

PowderCFE Pistol

Bullet Diameter.451"

C.O.L.1.135"

Starting Load

Grains7.1

Velocity (ft/s)1,008

Pressure15,800 PSI

Maximum Load

Grains8.1

Velocity (ft/s)1,139

Pressure19,700 PSI

I've been so lazy about brass cleaning. I have three full 5gal pails of 223 and 9mm to clean up. Maybe this weekend I'll get to it. I really need to rinse and sift it before I tumble. I shot a lot in the rain last month and hrs all pretty grimy.

You've got your work cut out for you. I guess there are worse problems to have, though.

Honestly I have a fair amount and am in no way limited by clean brass on hand, so I got lazy. I don't have pallets of brass, but I've got probably more than 12k .223 and maybe 5k 9mm shiny and waiting. It's finally winter here now with snow on the ground, so I'll be spending more nights prepping .223 and cleaning. I've been ignoring the reloading room with all the nice weather we had till this week.

Picked up some more Hornady 180XTPs for .44 MAG and some Berrys 185gr .45ACP bullets. Havent found much for load data for the CFE pistol powder I am using. Hodgdon lists only this one load, I think I might start at the hot end of the spectrum, 7.6gr

BULLET WEIGHT185 GR. HDY JSWC

ManufacturerHodgdon

PowderCFE Pistol

Bullet Diameter.451"

C.O.L.1.135"

Starting Load

Grains7.1

Velocity (ft/s)1,008

Pressure15,800 PSI

Maximum Load

Grains8.1

Velocity (ft/s)1,139

Pressure19,700 PSI

If you call or email Hodgdon they generally will have more data to email you. They are slow at updating web site.

Perhaps the general load data information with "X-Treme" plated bullets would suffice as a general rule with Berry's product...

"Load Info
Our Copper Plated Bullets can be run at mid-range jacketed velocities or higher end lead velocities. We recommend keeping velocities to less than 1500 FPS (Feet Per Second) and using only a light taper crimp
Any velocities over 1200 FPS we recommend either our Heavy Plate Concave Base or Hollow Point products for superior accuracy. We recommend keeping velocities to less than 1500 FPS (Feet Per Second) and using only a light taper crimp
All of our Hard Cast Lead Bullets are approximately 18 on Brinell, our Cowboy lead bullets are approximately 15 on Brinell."

http://www.xtremebullets.com/Bullet-Load-Info-s/1952.htm

In the past, I've run the 185gr HBRN with Power Pistol; they were pretty snappy. Don't recall the charge off the top of my head though.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Mac1911, I didnt think to call them even. Figured it would be pretty recent.

The box says max velocity is 1250fps. Should be pretty zippy for a .45ACP.

I bounce mine around in a mesh laundry bag to get the dirt and mud off the brass before it hits the tumbler.

I bounce mine around in a mesh laundry bag to get the dirt and mud off the brass before it hits the tumbler.

I have one of those sets of trays that fit in a 5 gal bucket to sort brass by size. If a load of brass is wet and muddy/sandy, I'll lay it out on the bench to dry out for a couple of days and then give it a good shake through the sorting trays. Knocks off pretty much all the crud which ends up in the bucket.

847836.jpg

I don't mess with length at all. Every 223 round that goes through my press is 2.250 OAL regardless of what components I'm using. I'm only loading for my ARs, no bolt guns so it's not something I chase. That grouping pic I posted was all 2.250 ammo. You can see in the second pic I'm not even close to the cannelure.

I also don't crimp.

I don't crimp either, even for AR use. But I did turn down the expander ball by .003 so I get more neck tension.

My reloading area is in a open area in the house. With the Grandchildren growing up and visiting now I'm spending this weekend relocating everything to a spare bedroom that can be locked.

I have a 2ft x 2ft 2x4 frame with a nice piece of stainless wire mesh on the bottom for cleaning. Squares in the mesh are .220x.220 so it lets 99.9% of the garbage through. I dump a layer in and spray it with the hose outside. Quick shake, repeat spray, shake, dump in clean bucket. Goes quick with the size of the sift.

The real problem with Vhit is maintaining a constant supply of it. If I started using it again I'd lay in an extra years worth of the stuff. It seems like it comes over in containers and when it dries up, it dries up.

Saying N320 is cleaner than (anything) is like telling us bears shit in the woods. [smile] VV is cleaner than nearly everything. [laugh] I had both, I stuck with titegroup at the time because it was easier for me to maintain a supply of that stuff. Yeah it is dirtier than VV but my titegroup loads were still cleaner than commercial ammo was on the whole.

-Mike

I have a 2ft x 2ft 2x4 frame with a nice piece of stainless wire mesh on the bottom for cleaning. Squares in the mesh are .220x.220 so it lets 99.9% of the garbage through. I dump a layer in and spray it with the hose outside. Quick shake, repeat spray, shake, dump in clean bucket. Goes quick with the size of the sift.

If you ever need a spare mesh let me know. I work for a wire company, we do fabric like that all day. I can even get you some teflon coated deep fryer baskets LOL thats what I use.

I cast about 50lbs of bullets for the .30/40 Krag and the .455 Webley and loaded the .455 with Unique,Bluedot and Bullseye. I'll find out in the morning which one the Colt likes best.

Back
Top Bottom