What did you do in the reloading room recently?

I shot 10 rounds of wolf prior to shooting to warm up the barrel but not at a target which was silly not to. That's a good procedure you do, makes sense.

Okay I'll try making those loads in .3 gr increments tomorrow. I also trimmed a bunch of brass tonight so I'm curious what effect the consistent brass length will have on accuracy.

Thoughts on OAL? Think it might be beneficial to load longer? Worth a shot of course. Thanks again for the tips!

As for COL length just be carefully those short fat bullets can get to the lands pretty quick. I have some nosler varmint in 55 grains that seat less than the hornady...

As you see a little bit the hornady 55s like a little speed. You should be able to get decent sub 1.5" groups out of them. I got down to the 1" area with W844 which is like H335. I also had nice consistent groups with H4895.

Also when shooting multiple test loads you may want to shoot them round robin style.
That is you load your mags alternating the shots . Then set up several targets and shoot 1st load 2nd 3 load or what have you rotating through the targets. This spreads out the shots through the barrel and even out the temp for each load a,bit....... if that makes sense.

Not to be a dink but a barska scope might not be helping you much for group testing. I have my share of inexpensive optics but for testing I use my old leupold VXIII 2.5x8x32 nothing fancy just solid.

Last edited:
The bulk Hornady 55s are the best bulk bullets money can buy. I get consistent sub-MOA groups with them using a variety of powders (especially A2230).

Last edited:
I don't mess with length at all. Every 223 round that goes through my press is 2.250 OAL regardless of what components I'm using. I'm only loading for my ARs, no bolt guns so it's not something I chase. That grouping pic I posted was all 2.250 ammo. You can see in the second pic I'm not even close to the cannelure.

I also don't crimp.

Last edited:
I finally had to use my Dillon spare parts kit: snapped a nylon ring bc a primer got stuck in the pocket, got hung up on something & jammed the press. So of course I just pushed harder until something broke...

Then I had to find my manual, which hasn't been cracked since I bought it. Now my 650 is in parts on the bench and of course I had to replace a spring bc, sproing. lol

Good excuse to clean it all out right?

Last edited:
Ya that's got to be tough for sure. I usually get home from work before my fiancé so I try to reload for a bit before she gets home. Then when she's at her parents house or out with friends, I race to the basement lol.

I don't have any kids but I have a dog that I try to walk 2-3 miles per day which takes up some time.

Buy a treadmill and tell the fiance its to keep in shape this winter. Tie the dog to it while you reload and gain 2-3 hours of reloading time....GENIOUS..BOOOM, Mind Blown!

~PH

As for COL length just be carefully those short fat bullets can get to the lands pretty quick. I have some nosler varmint in 55 grains that seat less than the hornady...

As you see a little bit the hornady 55s like a little speed. You should be able to get decent sub 1.5" groups out of them. I got down to the 1" area with W844 which is like H335. I also had nice consistent groups with H4895.

Also when shooting multiple test loads you may want to shoot them round robin style.
That is you load your mags alternating the shots . Then set up several targets and shoot 1st load 2nd 3 load or what have you rotating through the targets. This spreads out the shots through the barrel and even out the temp for each load a,bit....... if that makes sense.

Not to be a dink but a barska scope might not be helping you much for group testing. I have my share of inexpensive optics but for testing I use my old leupold VXIII 2.5x8x32 nothing fancy just solid.

Yeah these 55s look promising. Haha no you're not being dink, it's silly to use a $40 scope on a $750 rifle. I just had it laying around and figured why not throw it on. Though it would suck to buy a more expensive scope and have the same results as a cheap Barska scope.

But I got some birthday money today so maybe I'll buy a decent Nikon or Vortex 3-9x40.

I don't mess with length at all. Every 223 round that goes through my press is 2.250 OAL regardless of what components I'm using. I'm only loading for my ARs, no bolt guns so it's not something I chase. That grouping pic I posted was all 2.250 ammo. You can see in the second pic I'm not even close to the cannelure.

I also don't crimp.

I don't crimp either. I'll have to play around with the OAL just to see if it helps.

The 2 shots in the 4th photo are .80" but maybe I got lucky. So to summarize, I need to try using all the same headstamp brass, trim to same length, play around with the OAL, and maybe stop being cheap and get good optics[laugh].

This was my cheap trimming setup. Took a while to do 200 cases. But EVERY case is exactly 1.750" which is great.
View attachment 153903

Last edited:
Finally cleaned and organized my bench. was a huge mess from moving my fathers old stuff here etc. Had enough time to setup my first press, a Hornady LNL classic which was fun for me. Grabbed some RCBS .45ACP carbide 3 die set for $25 on black friday as well. Ripped through 100 rounds like nothing. Much easier than the LEE loader I was using for .44MAG LOL. Ended up loading them with some Remington 230gr projectiles and 6.4gr of Hodgdon CFE pistol. Should be right around 875fps.

Looking up other data for this powder it looks like it likes lighter projectiles mainly. They did have some data for .44 MAG I want to try for the 180gr XTP
MIN:
12.6gr 1,466fps

27,400 PSI

MAX:

34,300 PSI

Attachments

• IMG_20151216_201132.jpg
    IMG_20151216_201132.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 20151220_140524.jpg
    20151220_140524.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 43
Wow that's a great company. Got my cleaned 1k lake city brass today. Looks like 09'-12'. I think I may need to buy the Giraud to speed up the process with this much brass lol. But first I need to remove all those crimped primer pockets. So much fun....
View attachment 153914

Nice!
Here are my zombie loads. The green color is a nice touch. View attachment 153904

Those powder coated? Seen some stuff on youtube but never used any. Ive used cast before with what I imagine is a clear lube as the bullets are lead colored. Work ok, but smoky as hell. Also are messy to load, seems like everything gets kind of gummed up. How are the powder coated to load/shoot? ANy better?

How do you guys feel about setting COL by measuring to the lands and taking a bit off? I was considering trying to measure the lands and make a few rounds that way to try it. This would be strictly for my target AR with Krieger 22" barrel. I'm not sure exactly how to do it or if I'd even be able to tell because I tend to suck at offhand. I know they'll be longer than mag length but I hand feed this gun anyways.

How do you guys feel about setting COL by measuring to the lands and taking a bit off? I was considering trying to measure the lands and make a few rounds that way to try it. This would be strictly for my target AR with Krieger 22" barrel. I'm not sure exactly how to do it or if I'd even be able to tell because I tend to suck at offhand. I know they'll be longer than mag length but I hand feed this gun anyways.

It depends on the bullet. Some (most?) do better with more jump, some don't.

I think any time tinkering with load development would be better spent shooting. Your current load should be ten ring all a day long...if not X ring. Although like you I get in the way of that happening.
I have only used 77 grain nosler and Sierra and still after the trials I did my most consistent groups come from mag length loads. Except my hornady 75 A max I have benched some really nice 10 shot groups @ 100 yards with them but for what ever reason they don't work for me shooting prone at a match?

It depends on the bullet. Some (most?) do better with more jump, some don't.

I wonder if the 55 FMJs would shoot better with a longer OAL. I'll have to try some at 2.25" just to see if they shoot any different. My guess is that it would be hard to tell at the distances I shoot (120 yards).

I think any time tinkering with load development would be better spent shooting. Your current load should be ten ring all a day long...if not X ring. Although like you I get in the way of that happening.
I have only used 77 grain nosler and Sierra and still after the trials I did my most consistent groups come from mag length loads. Except my hornady 75 A max I have benched some really nice 10 shot groups @ 100 yards with them but for what ever reason they don't work for me shooting prone at a match?

Winter rifle at the club again today, I paid for the whole target and I shot the whole damn target ! What is this X ring you speak of ? Lol...I'm shooting 77gr SMK. They appear to prefer hitting white.

Those powder coated? Seen some stuff on youtube but never used any. Ive used cast before with what I imagine is a clear lube as the bullets are lead colored. Work ok, but smoky as hell. Also are messy to load, seems like everything gets kind of gummed up. How are the powder coated to load/shoot? ANy better?

Yeah these are powder coated. My friend told me about them and they are SO much cleaner and easier to load than cast lead. No smoke and I get good accuracy shooting at 20 yards with my GP100. I hated gumming up my dies with lube from cast lead. All done with that, I'll pay extra for coated or plated bullets.

But I noticed with this batch I got, there are a few bullets here and there that aren't shaped perfectly. I'm sure casters like mac1911 would know the causes for this. I would assume they're safe to shoot with those small pieces missing/voids whatever they are??
View attachment 153917

Last edited:
Yeah these are powder coated. My friend told me about them and they are SO much cleaner and easier to load than cast lead. No smoke and I get good accuracy shooting at 20 yards with my GP100. I hated gumming up my dies with lube from cast lead. All done with that, I'll pay extra for coated or plated bullets.

But I noticed with this batch I got, there are a few bullets here and there that aren't shaped perfectly. I'm sure casters like mac1911 would know the causes for this. I would assume they're safe to shoot with those small pieces missing/voids whatever they are??
View attachment 153917

That's just poor mold fill out....cold mold, poor drop of molten lead.....just a bad cast.

- - - Updated - - -

Winter rifle at the club again today, I paid for the whole target and I shot the whole damn target ! What is this X ring you speak of ? Lol...I'm shooting 77gr SMK. They appear to prefer hitting white.

Was thinking of going over and using up my 60gn varmint loads....but I'm sick got fricken phenomena.
Kicking my ass.

That's just poor mold fill out....cold mold, poor drop of molten lead.....just a bad cast.

Gotcha. So they safe to shoot you think? I would imagine it wouldn't get a good seal in the bore? Maybe I should email the company to see what they say.

Gotcha. So they safe to shoot you think? I would imagine it wouldn't get a good seal in the bore? Maybe I should email the company to see what they say.

I wouldn't waste a primer on one's that looks as bad as that left one. Your going to have a few bad ones. Depends who you get them from. Some places are better than others.

I wouldn't waste a primer on one's that looks as bad as that left one. Your going to have a few bad ones. Depends who you get them from. Some places are better than others.

Okay I'll take your word for it and put it aside. This particular company has the cheapest powder coated bullets as far as I can tell so you get what you pay for. Though not super cheap at 9 cents each shipped. I get jacketed hollow points for 10.3 cents shipped but I have to buy 2k+.

Wow the owner actually responded within 3 minutes of emailing him:

It happens when the molds are cold, we try to get the bad ones out on inspection, but occasionally a few slip by

The one on the left is definitely bad, dont shoot it.... the others are perfectly fine..

We always throw in an extra hand full just in case cause this does happen..

Let me know how many bad ones yo had and I will replace them

Okay I'll take your word for it and put it aside. This particular company has the cheapest powder coated bullets as far as I can tell so you get what you pay for. Though not super cheap at 9 cents each shipped. I get jacketed hollow points for 10.3 cents shipped but I have to buy 2k+.

9 cents each is pretty cheap considering the work that goes into casting and coating bullets especially for a smaller company. The commercial bullet casters are not cheap nor is lead.

9 cents each is pretty cheap considering the work that goes into casting and coating bullets especially for a smaller company. The commercial bullet casters are not cheap nor is lead.

Yeah not a bad price. I just think of the JHP's I get for one penny more per bullet.

Yesterday I swapped the Dillon SDB over to 9mm from .45ACP and set to work replenishing my 9mm supply. Today I ran another couple hundred through and I'm starting to feel a little better about my reserves. I only wish I had at least filled up my empty .45 boxes before swapping over the press. D'oh! It's not a huge deal, but it's non-trivial even with dedicated tool heads/powder measures/etc. Once I get more 9mm boxes I'll fill those up and then go back to the .45s and get everything topped off there.

I always forget how enjoyable reloading is. My setup is cramped and not as tidy as I'd like, but it's nice to have something to show for my time when I'm all done.

Cast about 10 pounds of a Lyman 429421. Hoping to coat them with Hi Tek sometime over this crazy holiday season.

Super happy with how the costing works. 20 grains of 2400 in a 44 mags and zero leading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom