• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

A press, dies and a reloading manual are the core essentials. Measuring tools (calipers, micrometer, powder measure, scale) are next essential items. Deburring tools, primer pocket cleaners/trimmers case trimmers (primarily for bottle-necked rifle calibers) are helpful.
Many like to clean/polish their brass with a tumbler; I've never used one, so it's optional for me. Brass should be clean and free of debris, but shine isn't essential, IMO.

R.M., I don't know where you are in MA, but if you're down my way, stop in and sit at my bench to roll a few. You can test-fire onsite.

Last edited:
1500 165g extreme bullets arrived. The mail man might start hating me.

Will reload a few tonight with N320. Max is 3.1g, so I will load at 2.8, 2.7 and 2.6 ... I think the min is 2.1, need to check the website.

I will compare them against the Bayou cast .358 and .357 this weekend.

Plated .356
Cast .357
Cast .358

Can someone recommend first time reloading essential items for a beginner? I'm looking to capitalize on a Bday pricing deal courtesy of Larry P.

Might be limited in what you can get from Big Larry. Looks like a lot of out of stock.
Do you have a price threshold?

This might cover everything you need if you have to have it right now-

Looks like a lot of the other stuff is "Back order OK" if you don't mind waiting and spending a little more.

Edit to add- Looks like the dies are separate, so be sure to grab those too.

Last edited:
Might be limited in what you can get from Big Larry. Looks like a lot of out of stock.

Looks like a lot of the other stuff is "Back order OK" if you don't mind waiting and spending a little more.
That is a great press, not only for beginners but also for experienced reloaders. I use it as a single stage for large calibers that I reload 100 or so at a time.

Caliber changes are super easy, takes a full 10 seconds. And they are very cheap.

1500 165g extreme bullets arrived. The mail man might start hating me.

That's not too bad. When I order hitek bullets I usually max out the shipping box limit, which is about 65 lbs. My mail carrier, a woman, usually just backs up to my garage and I take them off the truck for her. She has asked what I get that's so heavy, and i tell her it's lead for experiments. She gives me the deer in the headlights look, says "oh", and moves along.

Edit to add- Looks like the dies are separate, so be sure to grab those too.
Thank you for the recommendation. For now I just grabbed the press I want to go to SO2 and grab dies and other items soon.

Thank you for the recommendation. For now I just grabbed the press I want to go to SO2 and grab dies and other items soon.

I was just looking through the w.t.s to see if there was anything in there.
You can probably pick up a box of primers for 1 testicle. Doesn't have to be yours either, thats the best part.

Just out of curiosity, what are you loading for? Or what Caliber I should say.

I was just looking through the w.t.s to see if there was anything in there.
You can probably pick up a box of primers for 1 testicle. Doesn't have to be yours either, thats the best part.

Just out of curiosity, what are you loading for? Or what Caliber I should say.
I’m going to be completing a layaway purchase sometime in October that’s chambered in 44 mag and 50 AE. So ideally both of those calibers since they’re the most expensive per round of any of the other firearms I own; pistol caliber (9mm, 10mm, 45 ACP) long gun (12 gauge, 7.62x39, .223/5.56). But I want to eventually move to reloading for those calibers as well.

Last edited:
That's not too bad. When I order hitek bullets I usually max out the shipping box limit, which is about 65 lbs. My mail carrier, a woman, usually just backs up to my garage and I take them off the truck for her. She has asked what I get that's so heavy, and i tell her it's lead for experiments. She gives me the deer in the headlights look, says "oh", and moves along.

I usually tell them it’s my mother in laws fruit cake

Check the reloading supplies section under the classifieds here. I bought the majority of my reloading equipment from multiple members that way.

Can someone recommend first time reloading essential items for a beginner? I'm looking to capitalize on a Bday pricing deal courtesy of Larry P.

Shit to clean brass with, cheap vibrating tumbler, some media (walnut, or corn) a bottle of nu finish car polish.... digital calipers, beam powder scale (non digital),
etc. Kinetic bullet puller. (lyman, etc) A copy of whatever the latest Speer manual is.

Obviously you will need a press, etc, but sounds like you got that covered.

ETA: Probably a media separator as well to strain the shit out of the brass. The RCBS plastic job works fine, keeps the toxic dust down, too.

Last edited:
R.M., I don't know where you are in MA, but if you're down my way, stop in and sit at my bench to roll a few. You can test-fire onsite.
this is a most generous offer and @Rocco Mozz you should take advantage of it. short of taking a class you'll see what's going on and get a visual of the stuff you may need plus get a hands on. beats having several people yelling "get this, get that."

this is a most generous offer and @Rocco Mozz you should take advantage of it. short of taking a class you'll see what's going on and get a visual of the stuff you may need plus get a hands on. beats having several people yelling "get this, get that."
Currently messaging each other as we type!

Kinetic bullet puller.

What? He won't need that! He'll never make a bad round.

Seriously, that will be an essential down the road, but for starters, you can toss your rejects into a bucket, until you procure a bullet puller.

A sturdy bench or mount is a definite plus, for sure. I started with a hand-held Handi-Press, so I often figure the bench is optional.

I’m going to be completely a layaway purchase sometime in October that’s chambered in 44 mag and 50 AE. So ideally both of those calibers since they’re the most expensive per round of any of the other firearms I own; pistol caliber (9mm, 10mm, 45 ACP) long gun (12 gauge, 7.62x39, .223/5.56). But I want to eventually move to reloading for those calibers as well.
Nice! You'll save a crapton reloading 44 mag. One of my favorite calibers.

Definitely want a tumbler to clean your brass. I was going to recommend the Berrys tumbler kit for $102 shipped - I've got 2 of them. Great value. BUT they're sold out. Berry's Bullets - Plated Bullets, Reloading & Shooting Supplies
1600367489213.png

I like the media separators that are completely enclosed to limit the amount of lead contaminated dust being released (but I tumble and separate media outside). Looks like Larry P has tumblers and media separators in stock but none like the Berrys. Oh well, can't be too picky.
Jim (EddieCoyle) has a whole article on what you need to start reloading

Nice! You'll save a crapton reloading 44 mag. One of my favorite calibers.

Definitely want a tumbler to clean your brass. I was going to recommend the Berrys tumbler kit for $102 shipped - I've got 2 of them. Great value. BUT they're sold out. Berry's Bullets - Plated Bullets, Reloading & Shooting Supplies
View attachment 390767

I like the media separators that are completely enclosed to limit the amount of lead contaminated dust being released (but I tumble and separate media outside). Looks like Larry P has tumblers and media separators in stock but none like the Berrys. Oh well, can't be too picky.
Jim (EddieCoyle) has a whole article on what you need to start reloading
Bookmarked thank you!

I usually tell them it’s my mother in laws fruit cake
Lol, I blame my girl, I say "she makes some weird arts and crafts. Yesterdeay she bought 2K popsicle sticks for something she is making".

She hates it. When she goes out to get the mail and its a box of brass that sounds like nails the guy will say something like "buying nails for your arts and crafts?".

Lol, I blame my girl, I say "she makes some weird arts and crafts. Yesterdeay she bought 2K popsicle sticks for something she is making".

She hates it. When she goes out to get the mail and its a box of brass that sounds like nails the guy will say something like "buying nails for your arts and crafts?".
Hahahahaha. That’s awesome.

Back
Top Bottom