What gun do you wish you had not sold/traded/given away

Back when I was young and stupid, I sold a lot of guns in order to afford others that I wanted more at the time. Unfortunately, new was always better in my mind, so there's a lot to regret there. Numerous 1st and 2nd generation Colt SAAs, and a few 03s and 03A3s, 1911s, K98s and others were sold in order to stuff I can't even remember. Forgive me, Father, for I have sinned. [crying]

Ken

Numerous 1st and 2nd generation Colt SAAs

[shocked]

Give yourself a couple of dope slaps !

Doh2.jpg

Sold?
Traded?
Given Away?!

There are some sick people on this board.

[laugh2] and I agree.

1. This sorta counts. I walked away from a rifle I wished I never had. Many of you probably saw it. A WWII M1C that Kittery had with paper work of its entire history from the war through the CMP to the day it was sold to Kittery. They wanted $3400 and I put away the plastic because I was trying to be fiscally responsible. I held it in my hand and then walked away. About a week later I realized what a moron I was and went back and it was gone(I know some would say I would be a moron for buying it).

2. Also sorta counts - A 1911A1 with US Gov. markings for $700 I walked away from same reason as above.

3. I gave a SW40VE to my best friend but I only regret that because it was a shitty thing to do to a friend[smile]. But hey he couldn't afford a gun and I didn't need that one anymore and it's better then throwing rocks.

When I was going to college around 1990 the New Haven police in all their infinite wisdom did a gun buyback program for about a month. Total amnesty for any city resident turning in a gun. No questions asked.

They paid 50 for a rifle, 100 for a hand gun and $200 for an "Assault Weapon".

Fortunately Hoffmans had SKSs by the crate for $75. I took all my measley college student savings and bought a bunch of SKSs (exact number escapes me, but it was about $1000). I then brought 2 or 3 of my brand new SKS rifles into the NHPD every couple of days (they were still entombed in cosmoline) and got my $200 ea.

Now if I had only held onto them, they're probably worth twice what I got for them. But then again, I'dhave had to buy a safe to store them in. And I've moved a few times since then. So maybe I was better off.

Don

Every time I watch Quigley Down under I regret selling my 1874 Sharps. Mine was a Taylors and not a Shilo, but I shot strait and had style points.

Remington 3200 skeet gun with 28" barrles, near perfect condition. I bought it for $500 and solt it for $1100. I still wish I had it.

My Para P15.40. I miss that thing all the time. It was a great shooter.

I gave away a gun to a good friend. I bought a .22 from The Boston Patriot to give to my buddy for all the help he's done over the years. He sold it to me for short money. 75 bucks.

I was on eBay about a month later and saw that the bolt for that same gun was going for 150 bucks. I asked he he wanted to give it back. I was joking. He's still got it...and we still take it to the range. And for an old Single Shot Winchester .22, it's a damn straight shooter!

I sold a S&W 686 2 1/2" that I should have kept just because, a S&W kit gun in .22 and a Colt Combat Commander that I traded in for my P220. I love the Sig, but I should have held on to the Colt as a project gun. The only one I sold happily was a Ruger 22/45.

A few years back I traded my Glock 19 towards a Para LDA C6 .45.

Yes, towards, meaning I also put money down to get the Para.

I've since realized I HATE Para Ordnance, and that I should have just kept the Glock. I currently don't own any pistols with polymer frames, and I don't care for Glocks in general, but that 19 was a sweet carry gun.

I only regret two.

My old custom 1911 built on an Essex frame and slide. Came with a Bar-Sto barrel, Wilson hammer/sear, Bo-Mar sights, etc.. Learned a lot tinkering with it and building it up. Still the most accurate and tightest gun I've ever fired. I must have put 1000s of rounds through it. Even qualified with it while I was still in the USMC (albeit I wasn't suppose to, but my CO didn't care). Came with a lot of history too. The SSgt I bought it from was given the gun as a gift by a GySgt who used to work on the pistols for the Marine Corps shooting team at Quantico. Alas, like an idiot, I sold it because I thought I only needed "one 1911" in .45ACP (my Gold Cup). I still think about that gun to this day. If I should ever see it again for sale.......

The other is a Ruger P90. Wasn't pretty to look at, but it was reliable as all hell and my particular specimen came with a great DA/SA trigger and shot great. It was the perfect knock-around gun. Impervious to the elements and can be used as a club if I ever ran out of ammo. It would be my home defense gun today if I still had it. Once again, like an idiot, I sold it to get funds to buy an AMT Hardballer. The AMT turned out to be the worse gun I ever owned.

the only gun of mine that i have sold so far was my M&P9 fullsize....i really enjoyed shooting it. i love my glock 23, but it sure doesnt shoot like the M&P. im sure that will all change when i finally get a nice 1911 :)

[shocked]

Give yourself a couple of dope slaps !

Doh2.jpg

I do regularly. My only excuse is that they were plentiful and cheap then. You didn't need to be 21; you could buy guns by mail order; war surplus guns were a dime a dozen. I know, it's no excuse.

Ken

The other is a Ruger P90. Wasn't pretty to look at, but it was reliable as all hell and my particular specimen came with a great DA/SA trigger and shot great. It was the perfect knock-around gun. Impervious to the elements and can be used as a club if I ever ran out of ammo. It would be my home defense gun today if I still had it. Once again, like an idiot, I sold it to get funds to buy an AMT Hardballer. The AMT turned out to be the worse gun I ever owned.
I sold my P90, but don't regret it. It went to a good home and I used the money for a good purpose. (don't remember what it was, now, but I know it was a good reason). The trigger on mine was crap, and basically all the gunsmiths I asked about smoothing it up laughed at me... and I got spoiled by the trigger on my SW1911.

As for an AMT Hardballer... I sold that piece of garbage and do NOT regret it. (Hey, you didn't buy yours in a gun shop in Northborough (not TiteGroup), did you? If so... sorry about that, Chief.)

I had a 3" S&W M65 that Karl Sokol of Chestnut Mountain Sports customized for me when I turned 21 (old friend of the family). When I got into LE, my Chief at the time wouldn't allow me to carry it even off duty since it was modified, and I ended up trading it away. He's built me a few wheelguns since then, including a 3" M13, but I wish I had my M65, serial number BPS1861 back (just in case someone here ended up with it!)

I sold my P90, but don't regret it. It went to a good home and I used the money for a good purpose. (don't remember what it was, now, but I know it was a good reason). The trigger on mine was crap, and basically all the gunsmiths I asked about smoothing it up laughed at me... and I got spoiled by the trigger on my SW1911.

As for an AMT Hardballer... I sold that piece of garbage and do NOT regret it. (Hey, you didn't buy yours in a gun shop in Northborough (not TiteGroup), did you? If so... sorry about that, Chief.)

Nope. Mine was special ordered by me from Paul's Gunshop in Jacksonville, NC. I was still a Jarhead back then. The dealer pleaded with me to not order the AMT and opt for the Colt 1991 instead, of which he could have gotten for me at nearly half the price, plus a free trigger job tossed in. Like my ex, one of the worst mistakes of my life. Heck, you might have gotten yours from me. It had a really odd serial if I recall, exactly seven or eight digits all in sequential order - #1234567.

Back around 1984 I walked into MVP in Danvers on my lunch hour just as an older gentleman sold them a matched pair of Colt National Match (1950's vintage) 1911's, one in .45 ACP the other .38 spec. I was single and making good $$$ back then so I made a deal and got out my checkbook, was back at work before the hour was up. I soon traded the .38 for a S&W 9mm that couldn't hit a cow in the ass from 5 paces! Stupid, stupid, stupid!!!!! I still have the 45 though so not I guess I'm not totally brain dead!

Nope. Mine was special ordered by me from Paul's Gunshop in Jacksonville, NC. I was still a Jarhead back then. The dealer pleaded with me to not order the AMT and opt for the Colt 1991 instead, of which he could have gotten for me at nearly half the price, plus a free trigger job tossed in. Like my ex, one of the worst mistakes of my life. Heck, you might have gotten yours from me.
Shoulda listened to the dealer. [wink] But yours couldn't have been mine - bought mine new from Navy Arms in Ridgefield, NJ. G-d, what a POS that thing was.

I traded my Browning 16 ga auto shotgun which was probably from the early 50's for a Ruger KP345. It was pretty beatup but have had second thoughts about doing it. Only good thing is I still have my Browning Sweet Sixteen.

If I think about this too much, I'll get sick.
But a few quickly come to mind:

Remington Wingmaster 870 TC 12 gauge trap gun. 1960's vintage. With a Morgan adjustable pad. I sold it in the 80's, later tried to buy it back. Traced it through 3 owners but could not locate it. ( if anyone has this gun. s/n 971797V, please contact me )
1942 Luger
1943 Remington Rand 1911
IBM M1 Carbine
Colt Thompson, 1928/1. Made in 1922. yes, the real thing.

Wish list: Barret in .338 Lapua
Loaned: (never got it back and guy disapeared) Remington 700 BDL bull barrel in .25-06 (Dumb A**)
Sold; Lew Horten model 29, Stainless, 3 inch, with both fluted and unfluted cylinders (Yup, Dumb a** again)

Doc

Back
Top Bottom