What is your "Long Range" Rifle Platform?

Zermatt big horn Origin if you want to jump in from the start with a do it yourself custom

if you want to wade in slowly the get a Tikka and swap parts as you want

less initial financial layout with the tikka, but eventually you’ll spend more

Anything in 6-7mm sort of reigns supreme in those ranges and any action will get the job done. Like ARs, the barrel is a key component. A custom action will start at 800, barrel 500, stock 350, trigger 200, and a.scope for around 850ish....the sky is the limit on all of these. consistent ammo is key and most people reload. Match ammo can be accurate , but most people relaod. Some actions have quick change barrels and can be swapped out at the range easily. There is no headspacing these. Triggers are a couple pins or set screws , stocks can be bedded by yourself, level the scope.and go. You dont need a gunsmith to build a nice rifle. Like reloading....it isnt that hard.
How accurate are these quick change barrel rifles?

Last edited:
I know range distances are limited in many areas, but I'm thinking of getting a new long range platform and am starting to look into the different options. I'd like to keep it in 6.5CM for now as I have a bunch of Match ammo in that caliber. From there I'd like to be able to extend out to 1000 plus yards. My gunsmithing skills and tools are limited, but am willing to try putting something together, but am not against a pre-built platform. For this I'm thinking of staying away from a RPR and go for something I can build up for PRS or other specific games were long range is the key.

I know I'll need to spend a good chunk on a scope, but I'll worry about that later once I have the rifle platform settled. Price wise is subjective at this point, but I'm not rich enough to dump $5K into a platform right at the get go.

So what do you have or what would you want if given the chance to buy/build your rifle?
Check out. Ao gunsmith they have a rifle they call the mange. Come with a defiance machine tenacity receiver, bartlein barrel and a krg bravo stock. 2300 bucks. For caliber 6.5 is great. Or check out the 6gt

i have a ruger 10/22 i rebuilt with internals and a 16" bull barrel. on a very good day, i can reach out and touch at 80 yards, maybe out to 100 fairly accurately. but the god of long range needs to stop the wind and clear my eyes. your results may vary.

Check out. Ao gunsmith they have a rifle they call the mange. Come with a defiance machine tenacity receiver, bartlein barrel and a krg bravo stock. 2300 bucks. For caliber 6.5 is great. Or check out the 6gt
If one wants a long range rifle build now it got to be something in 6mm. Which one - dasher or br or gt - there are choices.
I want to get one as well, but still debating between choosing either a dasher or gt. Both would be varget loads, but dasher brass is simpler to buy now. GT presumably is tad better long term. Dunno.

If I would hunt - an extra light 6lbs rifle in a 6 creedmoor would be the best, even if its barrel will last for 1500 shoots only. Most PRS folks seem to be still on a 6dasher

Also, a 6gt can be easier built into an AR10. Dasher can theoretically be built into ar15 but a reliable mag feeding can be an issue.

Last edited:
I know range distances are limited in many areas, but I'm thinking of getting a new long range platform and am starting to look into the different options. I'd like to keep it in 6.5CM for now as I have a bunch of Match ammo in that caliber. From there I'd like to be able to extend out to 1000 plus yards. My gunsmithing skills and tools are limited, but am willing to try putting something together, but am not against a pre-built platform. For this I'm thinking of staying away from a RPR and go for something I can build up for PRS or other specific games were long range is the key.

I know I'll need to spend a good chunk on a scope, but I'll worry about that later once I have the rifle platform settled. Price wise is subjective at this point, but I'm not rich enough to dump $5K into a platform right at the get go.

So what do you have or what would you want if given the chance to buy/build your rifle?
I have most of the parts to assemble an ICBM. No warhead though :(

Maybe a whole lot of tannerite...

Kidding, mister fbi man 😂

I have AR10s in .308/7.62 and 6.5 Creedmoor (just started testing the Creedmoor rifle for function). 20 and 22 inch barrels.

For me, I know that platform, easy to upgrade, customize etc. I do also find the concept of a custom or off the shelf 700 Rem interesting, maybe some day.

I don't know how much more accurate a bolt gun gets you, but for me that's not the problem and I only can find just under 400 yards on the top end reasonably easily in my area. There are other less convenient options for shooting longer, have ambitions to some day but is never priority.

DD Delta 5 pro and Scar 17. The DD rifle is 308, but I may change the barrel to 6.5 in the future

Attachments

• 308.jpg
    308.jpg
    555.2 KB · Views: 25
If one wants a long range rifle build now it got to be something in 6mm. Which one - dasher or br or gt - there are choices.
I want to get one as well, but still debating between choosing either a dasher or gt. Both would be varget loads, but dasher brass is simpler to buy now. GT presumably is tad better long term. Dunno.

If I would hunt - an extra light 6lbs rifle in a 6 creedmoor would be the best, even if its barrel will last for 1500 shoots only. Most PRS folks seem to be still on a 6dasher

Also, a 6gt can be easier built into an AR10. Dasher can theoretically be built into ar15 but a reliable mag feeding can be an issue.

Both dasher and GT use a .473 bolt face. You would need an AR10 platform to build a gas gun in either caliber.

GT was designed to fix the feeding issues of the Dasher, which MDT solved with their BR mags before the GT was released. GT was late to the party. The only "benefit" to the GT is you can, in theory, run it a tiny bit faster at the expense of more powder. I don't see the need for PRS.

Both dasher and GT use a .473 bolt face. You would need an AR10 platform to build a gas gun in either caliber.

GT was designed to fix the feeding issues of the Dasher, which MDT solved with their BR mags before the GT was released. GT was late to the party. The only "benefit" to the GT is you can, in theory, run it a tiny bit faster at the expense of more powder. I don't see the need for PRS.

Has anyone built a dasher or gt on the ar10 platform?

I’ve been thinking about going kind of the opposite direction from most chassis based precision rifles. Most of them, like my Bergara, start out pretty heavy, even before you add a scope and bipod. The Bergara starts out at 10.4 pounds, stripped. With it’s scope it’s running over 13 pounds. I’ve been looking for something lighter, that might actually be easier for me to tote in the field. So I’ve been looking at the Christensen Arms Modern Precision Rifle. Something in .308 like this:
Stripped, it’s only 6.9 lbs. With something like a Vortex Razor HD LHT 4.5-22x50 FFP on it (under 1.4 pounds and add a couple of oz for the rings) and you’d have a precision setup under 9 lbs. .308 in a nine pound rifle shouldn’t be that bad from a recoil point of view and you can always go 6.5 CR if you want.

6.5CM is great for sure - as barrel will last long enough and shooting it is a lot of fun.
the budget there is really a limiting factor. for a stock rifle in $1500 category the bergara lrp2 was great 2 years ago - @cathouse01 at a time recommended it to me and it shoots good 1/3-1/4 MOA. like others said - 6.5CM is a 600yds caliber. going to 800yds+ - it is not the best.
next step up, somewhat - a 'factory' custom rifle - would be a $2500 level something like that, if you do like the MPA chassis (most do):

going up in price from $2500 level with custom actions and better barrels (if you will see what top dogs in prs competitions are using) - it probably would stop making any sense using 6.5CM, that will be a 6mm custom build or more powerful one, if you are looking at 1000yds specifically.

PS. i looked at gunbroker - what used to be a $1500 lrp2 bergara is now a $2000. inflation.
Weird. I consider 6.5 CM a 1 mile capable calibre and a 1000 yards any day. Vs 308 which is a bit limited after 600.

I've tagged metal at 800 yards with 7.62x54r. With irons. 10/15. Long range? No but stable.

The only 1k range I played on, the two of us had matching Ruger Americans. One in 308 and one in 6.5cm same Niteforce scopes. Both had match ammo prepped and same zero, but man CM just thunked right.

Has anyone built a dasher or gt on the ar10 platform?
It is doable, but kinda defeats the point, if you want best precision for prs. Unless one wants a semi- gas gun for hunting.

I have a 6.5cm ar10 for that, but it is quite heavy for a hunting rig, just under 13lb.

Last edited:
I’ve been thinking about going kind of the opposite direction from most chassis based precision rifles. Most of them, like my Bergara, start out pretty heavy, even before you add a scope and bipod. The Bergara starts out at 10.4 pounds, stripped. With it’s scope it’s running over 13 pounds. I’ve been looking for something lighter, that might actually be easier for me to tote in the field. So I’ve been looking at the Christensen Arms Modern Precision Rifle. Something in .308 like this:
Stripped, it’s only 6.9 lbs. With something like a Vortex Razor HD LHT 4.5-22x50 FFP on it (under 1.4 pounds and add a couple of oz for the rings) and you’d have a precision setup under 9 lbs. .308 in a nine pound rifle shouldn’t be that bad from a recoil point of view and you can always go 6.5 CR if you want.
To tote in the field there are as light as 5.5lb rifles with wood stocks and carbon wrapped light barrels. A neat stuff. Mate it with a Swarovski z5 scope and you got an under 7lb rig.

My longest range rifle is an M107A1 lol but the rifle I enjoy shooting the most at longer range lately is an old brass pinned, heavy barrelled, rem 700 in 6mm remington that I very luckily got from an estate auction that probably was never shot more than a few times. It is an absolute tack driver, very mild recoiling, and quite nostalgic for me as a 6mm Remington was my dad's favorite rifle growing up and I still have 2 boxes of his handloads that I keep for obvious reasons.

6mm Rem has been all but forgotten about but it is very versatile and can do very well at long range. It can actually have a slight velocity edge over .243win and is very comparable to 6mm Creedmoor with bullets around 100gr.

If I wanted something to really shoot long range a lot I'd pick up a Savage or Bergara in 6.5CM, put some good glass on it, and call it a day. A .308win would also be perfectly acceptable to me as oppurtunities to shoot beyond 400ish yds around here are few and m118lr ammo is cheaper than 6.5CM and very easy to duplicate if I want to reload it.

My old school pick is an 03a3, K31, or a Finnish M39.

Last edited:
I don't hunt so I don't care, once you put a giant hunk of glass on a rifle I call it a bench gun and if I had to carry it would be via pack.

But say an AR10, heavy yes, but you can break them down too. If you wanted to typically be taking a 500 yard shots at game I feel like it would be practical to mate upper and lower when it's time to setup for a shot. I'd probably pick a 16 inch barrel for that though.

Out of the box hunting bolt guns sure are light though.

Out of the box hunting bolt guns sure are light though.
from the weight perspective - something like that, at 6.5lbs for a 20" barrel - it is quite amazing. i re-weighted my AR10 and it is close to 13 lbs - 12.8 with a vortex 5-25x scope on it.
no comparison, really. and comes with a decent 2.5# triggertech.

from the weight perspective - something like that, at 6.5lbs for a 20" barrel - it is quite amazing. i re-weighted my AR10 and it is close to 13 lbs - 12.8 with a vortex 5-25x scope on it.
no comparison, really. and comes with a decent 2.5# triggertech.
May want to do some research on CA before ordering. Lots of reviews of blatant QC issues that shouldn't happen in that price range. You could build a nice lightweight hunting rifle for the same price.

Back
Top Bottom