• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What is your "Long Range" Rifle Platform?

exactly as i give no shit to thousands of anything i never saw and will never see.
when mag came - it was just a generic AICS mag with lips set exactly same as any other AICS mags that i already had.
it only had 3d printed guts instead of the regular follower. that was the only difference of that they sell for $90.

and it worked exactly same well as the plastic aics mag that costs $15 - means it didn`t.
cool. like anything else in life, YMMV. The overwhelming majority of folks have no issues with MDT mags or tune them slightly with no issue. Potentially turning someone away from a dasher by saying they feed like shit when you are the outlier does not portray an accurate picture.

cool.

so you have no solution, no proof, yet trying to contradict what i had to deal with.
and, 'tune them slightly' - got any specific instructions, of how to get that done? other than 'keep fixing it up until it works' ?
plenty of resources out there. I'm not gonna argue with you. have a nice day.

edit: looks like you found some of them! 🤣👍

It seems the more expensive the guns and mags are the more you have to tune them and the gun. [laugh]

Just like 2011's and those stupid mags.

I will say the one metal mag that fed great for me was an MDT mag.

CMP started bringing in the electronic targets to CEATS, so no more working the pits for those matches. Must have been newer mechanisms when I did work pits at CEATS? Never had to wear a helmet. Unless you were pulling for someone who was a terrible shot, I thought the sand berm there made it very easy to spot hits and based on where it hit the berm you could guess where the shot hit the target, saving time looking for it when marking.

I have been totally spoiled by electronic targets. I had a great experience at Perry Nationals, but shooting only twice in a 12 hour brutally hot day isn't my favorite part of it. Typical weather at CEATS makes it much more enjoyable if you are going to be there all day.
I am going to guess it was 2009 (?) when we were compelled to wear kevlar helmets. We had no choice. There was a new Base Commander who wasn't real familiar with Highpower Rifle shooting. He said "You WILL don a helmet while you receive live fire in the pits!"
We said "Yes Sir"

It’s all tunable, just a bit of a pita. Odd that relatively long 6.5cm needs it too, dunno why it would need lips work.

Look at the YouTube I had in my response above post #568, it may be relevant to your issue.

I’ve tweaked the mag catch in different rifles. For ones where i didn’t have an adjustable mag catchment a few passes with a file is what was needed.

cool.

so you have no solution, no proof, yet trying to contradict what i had to deal with.
and, 'tune them slightly' - got any specific instructions, of how to get that done? other than 'keep fixing it up until it works' ?

as all i got for instructions originally - here is a quote from that communication:

"Adjusting the feed lips will help.
Dashers and BR do require tuning the feed lip to make them run smooth.

Stay Safe,
Woody Satayabut
Bolt actions and Chassis Production
706-395-7050 x8
Masterpiece Arms
4904 Hwy 98 East
Comer, GA 30629"

'requires tuning' - DOES NOT mean 'MDT solves everything'.

PS. and more, of 'instructions' -
"
To use the MDT mag you may have to adjustable the catch for that magazine.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYt0TWLlQE4

The Accurate Mag may just need some maintenance.
You may have to remove the floorplate, clean the inside of the box and stretch the spring a little.
"

Honestly dude, that’s like buying a 1911 barrel and saying that it’s shit bc it doesn’t fit yours. 🙄

It’s all tunable, just a bit of a pita. Odd that relatively long 6.5cm needs it too, dunno why it would need lips work.

Look at the YouTube I had in my response above post #568, it may be relevant to your issue.

Never ever had a problem feeding 6.5C in several different rifle and mag combinations.

Paul if you are having trouble with BR magazines, try one of these kits

Worked well in my dasher in Accurate mags

I also have MDT that work well after I sprayed the inside with silicone spray and made sure I had the correct spring and also had the spring attached to the follower at the correct point to keep it from tipping. Lips were fine.

Have a 1000 yard range in my town that for the longest time had some plainly stupid requirements and exclusions. No .338 Lapua Magnum, no .50 BMG, mandatory 16x power scope. They finally removed their head from their large intestine but have left it firmly in the anus, as they got rid of the caliber restrictions, the scope power requirements, but still require a scope, a range finder, bipod with rear bag, and a ballistic calculator with verified data. In order to be allowed to shoot at the range, you need to "qualify" which is being able to hit 3 targets at 3 different ranges 3 times with 10 shots at each range. The targets are 2 MOA. So if you don't have a 100% dialed in 1 MOA gun, you aren't going to be shooting there. Like iron sights for the challenge or just because? Can't shoot. Have a gun that exceeds the 300 yards of the normal rifle range but it (or you) can't reach out to 800+ yards. Not allowed to shoot.

All the down to earth people left there, and all that's left is a bunch of snobs. Some places deserve to fail. thankfully, 3/4 of the way through their 99 year lease on the land, then hopefully it can go to some one else.

Last edited:
Have a 1000 yard range in my town that for the longest time had some plainly stupid requirements and exclusions. No .338 Lapua Magnum, no .50 BMG, mandatory 16x power scope. They finally removed their head from their large intestine but have left it firmly in the anus, as they got rid of the caliber restrictions, the scope power requirements, but still require a scope, a range finder, bipod with rear bag, and a ballistic calculator with verified data. In order to be allowed to shoot at the range, you need to "qualify" which is being able to hit 3 targets at 3 different ranges 3 times with 10 shots at each range. The targets are 2 MOA. So if you don't have a 100% dialed in 1 MOA gun, you aren't going to be shooting there. Like iron sights for the challenge or just because? Can't shoot. Have a gun that exceeds the 300 yards of the normal rifle range but it (or you) can't reach out to 800+ yards. Not allowed to shoot.

All the down to earth people left there, and all that's left is a bunch of snobs. Some places deserve to fail. thankfully, 3/4 of the way through their 99 year lease on the land, then hopefully it can go to some one else.
It’s sad that you wish so much for a club to fail. Especially since this club is actively trying to grow the sport of long range shooting.

If your gun (or you) are not capable of shooting that far then why the hell should you be?

We as shooters are responsible for every round that leaves our gun. We are also held liable for all the dumbasses who think they can just Kentucky holdover there shit to a grand.

Last edited:
I wish I was closer to a 1000 yard range.

Were the original caliber restrictions because the backstop/berm couldn't handle them? If so, then why not help come up with a solution or volunteer to build it up?

And let's be honest, the other requirements were probably put in place out of necessity from people who had done stupid things and put the club in jeopardy.

I guess I understand some of that, but why would they limit to 16x magnification? That seems very arbitrary to say the least.

16x at the lower limit doesnt sound unreasonable esp if you dont have a spotter.
I suppose they should have a requirement for glass quality then, which matters quite a bit more at that distance than the difference between 10 and 16 power. 10X with good quality glass should do the trick if you can hit a target without magnification at 100 yards.

I suppose they should have a requirement for glass quality then, which matters quite a bit more at that distance than the difference between 10 and 16 power. 10X with good quality glass should do the trick if you can hit a target without magnification at 100 yards.

An eye test would be more appropriate because a good scope isnt worth much if you cant see.

16x is the minimum for shooting at that range. You can go higher if youd like.

And what size targets do they have there?

BS. Plenty of guys use 10x scopes to shoot that distance and the most prolific snipers in history certainly didn’t have 25x glass.

BS. Plenty of guys use 10x scopes to shoot that distance and the most prolific snipers in history certainly didn’t have 25x glass.

Read the thread bub. At one particular shooting range mentioned in this thread , the range specifies a minimum of a 16x scope.

Post #582

Where is this 1000yd range?
Scope required? So no Palma shoots there.
Rangefinder? Why? It's 1000 yards!

"No 338 Lapua or 50BMG"usually is there to weed out the idiots. That probably offends some people here, but more of those 2 calibers are sold to guys who think they need the biggest thing there is made to reach out "long distance".

Does the name have 6 letters, starts with a "G" and ends with a "Y"?

After all the BS they have been through, I agree with a few things and disagree with others. Like shooting 3 targets, the targets should be 100, 200 and 300 yards. The purpose should be to see if the person can handle the gun or is one of those morons that would show up to a car shoot and couldn't hit a car at 100 yards.

After they show they are competent, walk them out to 1K yards so they know the elevation required.

That is how Reading does it. Shoot at 200, then walk to 600 and they make sure you are on paper. They want to make sure you are not an idiot.

Last edited:
16x is the minimum for shooting at that range. You can go higher if youd like.

And what size targets do they have there?
Meh, most people can't spot their own shots. Some calibers is easy, but others with more recoil kinda screw it up.

I have used a cellphone attached to my scope so I could see where my shots are hitting.

I just ordered an SME spotting scope camera to be able to watch it on my phone. The SME has average reviews, so I will see if it is worth it or I should return it.

Well…. I’ve mentioned before the 18” barreled 6.5 Manbun gets it done. That Leupold Mk4 4-14x scope really feels just right on it. I think they are still on sale at midwayusa for $700.

IMG_0681.jpeg
IMG_0680.jpeg

Yes, my bench is a total mess. But it works, and I know where things are.

If I want to reach out and slap things with authority, the .300 weatherby gets pulled out. But that pain stick doesn’t get shot very much. 200 grain Accubond projectiles at 3090 FPS make sure the hit is significant.
69929536503__0C57CBF8-7BF8-44A0-A487-E6A99FA7F356.jpeg

"No 338 Lapua or 50BMG"usually is there to weed out the idiots. That probably offends some people here, but more of those 2 calibers are sold to guys who think they need the biggest thing there is made to reach out "long distance".
Or, just maybe, the club does not enjoy half inch holes in their expensive steel targets.

Back
Top Bottom