What is your "Long Range" Rifle Platform?

I'll have to check the exact model but I have a Harris sling stud mount bipod that has set detents / positions on the legs rather than the friction locks for length adjustment. I did shim it between the bipod base and fore end with a piece of bike inner tube to make it rock solid. Works fine for sub-MOA shots with the 6.5CM AR, so I don't think I'd need to spend more on something supposedly better.

I have extensions for my Atlas legs if needed. Can be done with a .223 round, not difficult. I don’t use them often.

Well the BOG is on the way. If I don’t like it they will get it back.

I spent the day teaching a friend’s 8 & 15 year old sons how to shoot pistol & rifle. I stand by my assertion that immigrants from communist countries make some of our best and most responsible citizens.

I had the 8 yr old working the dueling tree at 100 with the 10/22 and the older kid at 400 with the Savage 12 though he really wanted to spend more time with pistols.

So I tried the BOG Infinite. Heavy bastard. Worked ok, don’t love it but def stable. Heavy af (10#).

The head is not great. So I wanted to upgrade. Can’t. Like, at all. Literally doesn’t have the 3/8 thread. Returning it.

Bought a Leofoto LS-365 based on posts that Leofoto basically makes CF tripods for the major mfg’s. Got a good deal on it.

Side by side, the Leofoto only weighs a fraction of the BOG (3.5# w head) and is only 2/3 the length since it has five sections. The CF Leofoto is not quite as sturdy & robust as the BOG aluminum but it is sufficient for a chassis .308 bolt gun or AR10 and does have spikes, which I will use tomorrow to test it at 5-900y. The stock head is MUCH smoother and can be upgraded in time if I choose.

I will add some pics tomorrow.

I have a BOG Deathgrip and love it for certain applications. When I volunteer at my club for Women On Target the BOG is perfect for rifle stability assistance. I also use it for handgun load testing through a chronograph. Also use it for crossbow. Hauling the BOG into the woods and back out is NOT one of it's strengths, extremly well built but porky with weight.

leofoto is just a manfrotto clone, i thin kthe original would be better and cheaper. plus, why to go with carbon for this application? an aluminum would work same good and cost twice less.
like this - a 44# capacity, what else is needed?
So if I bought this and a head, is that all I need?

I have the Hog Saddle PIG tripod which is basically an OD green SLIK PRO 700 DX tripod. I have a Sunway Photo ARCA Swiss ball head. This is a decent rig for reasonable money. Not super light but plenty stout.

PIG0311-G-Field-Tripod-OD-Green-1__87422.1559250082.jpg
Green_FB-52_1__68717.1632516334.png

leofoto is just a manfrotto clone, i thin kthe original would be better and cheaper. plus, why to go with carbon for this application? an aluminum would work same good and cost twice less.
like this - a 44# capacity, what else is needed?

Same weight capacity, almost twice the weight and only $50 less money. Why bother? The BOG was a pain, maybe the Manfrotto would have been a compromise but meh.

Trying it in a few configurations with a couple rifles at 400y today due to the wind & tornado warnings.

I like it. So much lighter but still very stable once I get it setup in the space.

IMG_7767.jpeg

IMG_7769.jpeg
IMG_7766.jpeg

I can see clipping in in some situations but I’d recommend trying to put a bag over the ball head or apex and trying that as well. IMO the bag is a lot better in most situations as it allows the rifle to do its own thing.

It’s also way easier to get on target and stay at natural point of aim without muscling the gun.

I guarantee you’ll be more consistent with a bag versus clipping in.

I can see clipping in in some situations but I’d recommend trying to put a bag over the ball head or apex and trying that as well. IMO the bag is a lot better in most situations as it allows the rifle to do its own thing.

It’s also way easier to get on target and stay at natural point of aim without muscling the gun.

I guarantee you’ll be more consistent with a bag versus clipping in.
Now you tell me. Could have saved myself the cost of a ball head. [laugh]

I worked hard to get this long range rig shooting decently at 600 yards:

img_3179-jpg.526511

Now that I have the 1941 USMC sniper clone all sorted out it will shoot ~1 MOA or under at 100 yards. Even with the occasional bad wind call or 'yip' I can generally keep all shots under 2 MOA at 600 yards with this rig. 600 yard 10-ring is about 1.9 MOA and I 'might' [laugh] drop a 'couple' shots just into the 9 ring. I will get a few X's which is about .9 MOA.

1682892322516.png

I was pretty pumped about shooting this 98-2X, LOL probably some luck involved. Weather was absolute crap, with wind, rain, and fog. Of course that all stopped when the match was over. Range no. 4 at Camp Ethan Allen has weird, swirling winds also. From 600 you will see wind flags going at least 3 different directions.

Last edited:
Yes. Shootable past 500 yards. A lot of history with .308 doing so.

Has been replaced largely by paper punchers even for 300 yards. I wouldn't choose it for punching paper past that either, but it's certainly very well known and capable.

Not many folks shooting 1000 yards around here, longest club range I know of is 600. And on that very range a friend of mine qualified with... yep .308 :)

I bet in places you got desert, you do hear a lot less about it. Just long range is a subjective statement.
One division of F-Class (F-T/R) is limited to either .223 Rem or .308 Win. and is shot from prone at 1K yds. Not competitive (routinely) with rifles in F-Open and cartridges such as 7mm Shehane, but F-T/R is a very popular sport and growing rapidly. .308 Win (and even .223 Rem) can be and are routinely shot very accurately at 1,000 yds.

For .308 - are 175gr rdf hornadies usable there for 1k, or it has to be 200/220gr only?
@paul73, 175s CAN be used, but they are at a tremendous disadvantage to the heavies, especially Bergers. Perhaps the most popular long-range .308 Win bullet is currently the Berger 200.20x Hybrid Target. I do know some still shooting the 185 Juggernaut, but honestly those are mostly shot for mid-range F-Class (500-600 yds). Bucking the wind is key for the longer ranges and the 200.20x is proven there.

I am NOT discounting the Hornady bullets, I'm just reporting that I don't know anyone competing successfully in 1,000 yd F-Class with those.

@paul73, 175s CAN be used, but they are at a tremendous disadvantage to the heavies, especially Bergers. Perhaps the most popular long-range .308 Win bullet is currently the Berger 200.20x Hybrid Target. I do know some still shooting the 185 Juggernaut, but honestly those are mostly shot for mid-range F-Class (500-600 yds). Bucking the wind is key for the longer ranges and the 200.20x is proven there.

I am NOT discounting the Hornady bullets, I'm just reporting that I don't know anyone competing successfully in 1,000 yd F-Class with those.

Edit - Just making note that I was wrong about 308's going trans-sonic before 1000 yards. Checked that after below comments from bigblue and RankAmateur, and they are right. The right projectiles and load will stay supersonic a bit beyond 1000.

I think the logic is that 308's are going trans-sonic before 1000 yards so the heavies are more stable through that plus the better ballistic coefficient.

I have done well at 600 with 175's but might look at something a little heavier if it makes much difference with the wind.

Last edited:
I think the logic is that 308's are going trans-sonic before 1000 yards so the heavies are more stable through that plus the better ballistic coefficient.

I have done well at 600 with 175's but might look at something a little heavier if it makes much difference with the wind.
185 Juggernauts launched at even 2500 FPS are still supersonic out to about 1100 yds. Alliant published load data for Reloader 15.5 sending 185 Juggernauts at 2686 FPS which would remain supersonic to about 1200 yds. The 200/20x launched at around 2500 stays supersonic until 1300 yds...

185 Juggernauts launched at even 2500 FPS are still supersonic out to about 1100 yds. Alliant published load data for Reloader 15.5 sending 185 Juggernauts at 2686 FPS which would remain supersonic to about 1200 yds. The 200/20x launched at around 2500 stays supersonic until 1300 yds...
Yep, I was wrong about that. Old wives tale I guess, and I was the old wife who believed it. [laugh]

FWIW, I will look for heavier bullets when I set roots down again and can reload. For now, I am stuck w factory ammo and have a bunch of the Lapua 167’s to launch.

The wind this past weekend was gusty and 30-40 mph at odd angles so even 400y was a challenge. At 800 it blew me completely off target.

FWIW, I will look for heavier bullets when I set roots down again and can reload. For now, I am stuck w factory ammo and have a bunch of the Lapua 167’s to launch.

The wind this past weekend was gusty and 30-40 mph at odd angles so even 400y was a challenge. At 800 it blew me completely off target.
You picked a solid factory ammo to be 'stuck' with. I stocked up on Creedmoor ammo .308 and .30-06 for two reasons. It's excellent for match shooting and the brass is excellent. Maybe 3 reasons: Though not cheap by any means, the ammo is reasonable considering the cost of new Lapua brass and projectiles. For sure save that brass and keep a .410 handy to dust off the brass rats. ;)

I largely chose it for the brass as I was considering the cost of new Lapua brass at the time. Now these are fire formed for the chamber and will be ready to go when I’m ready. Think I have 800-1,000 rounds of it so combine that with plenty of M80 and I’m good for awhile.

I largely chose it for the brass as I was considering the cost of new Lapua brass at the time. Now these are fire formed for the chamber and will be ready to go when I’m ready. Think I have 800-1,000 rounds of it so combine that with plenty of M80 and I’m good for awhile.
Curious, why are you not sizing your brass?

I know what fire forming is, I am curious why you think that is more reliable and will shoot better.

You may run into issues getting those 200+ gr bullets to fit your mag length.

Curious, why are you not sizing your brass?

I know what fire forming is, I am curious why you think that is more reliable and will shoot better.
Brass has to be sized and there is only one way, full length sizing so don’t ask about the other way. 😂

Virgin brass typically has a lot smaller dimension than optimal to guarantee fitment in a multitude of rifles. I have also found that neck tension to vary drastically even on premium brass.

Once it’s fireformed to a specific chamber you only want to size it down a few thousandths to guarantee proper fitment.

I typically see more consistency after the initial firing.

Back
Top Bottom