• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

When did guns become evil?

That's right. That's why machetes are specifically "banned" in some localities, and blade-length ordinances are becoming more common.

If the tool is removed, then the evil will not happen (because the motivation of the actor is not the cause of the action.)

As Kang (or Kodos) on the Simpsons said, after they were driven off earth by someone with a board with a nail in it: "They will make bigger boards, with bigger nails, and destroy themselves!!!! HAHAHAHAHA!"

It's the tool, not the user, that is evil (because people are all good at heart, right?) In my original post, I'd have mentioned the sharp-pointies, but the specific question was guns.

You make a couple of very valid points here, Happy... However, I think you missed slightly on the bolded part...

The social engineers don't really believe that taking the tool away will banish the evil (or the evil action); instead, they see that they are reducing the scope of the harm that the evil-doer can cause. By banning automatic firearms, they reduce the mayhem that one person can do. They further reduce the effect by defining and banning "assault rifles" while placating (for now) hunters who, although many of their rifles have the same capabilities as the "assault" rifles, can "live without" specific features that hunters don't use to in order ban or restrict that rifle (you know, those "shoulder things that go up."). For now, hunters haven't been cut to the bone, and they don't really see the coming peril.

Once the social engineers ban most firearms, they then go after machetes, katanas, throwing knives and stars, switchblades and automatic knives, and eventually butcher knives and pocket knives (see England for this example).

Eventually, they think that they can reduce the availability of destructive tools that the evil-doer can use, but they fail to realize how adaptable evil is (could anyone foresee that convenience stores could be robbed be someone wielding an "AIDS-infected" hypodermic syringe?), and they think that their restrictions won't harm or deprive the honest citizen of the tools that they need or want. And even when tho two philosophies are contradictory, they tout the theorem that "the needs of society outweigh the needs of the individual (thank you, Mr. Spock).

In my opinion, placating evil and restricting the tools that evil-doers use will not effectively deter evil. They need to be out-gunned, out-matched, and out-witted. Stomp 'em into the ground! This certainly won't eliminate evil, but it will certainly make the evil-doer more cautious! And it will have the further effect of dissuading some fence-sitters from joining the zombie ranks! [grin]

It was 1963 and the Kennedy assassination. The NFA of 68 pushed through by Senator Kennedy of MA was the first stone of the barrage. That got all those, "evil through the mail rifles" off the market and set us on a course of safety for all mankind.

Before 63 I could walk out my door with a 22 rifle uncased and walk out of town to the woods and go hunting. The cops would wave.

True to some extent about the Kennedy assassination but prohibition was a beginning of the modern fear of guns. The "TOMMY GUN" was demonized and admired just like the gangsters than used them. The government started regulating some guns then...1932 if I'm not mistaken. The British weren't very fond of America's guns either. I'm sure the Indians had a few curse words for or about guns too.

I used to walk down the street with my shotgun or 22 in the 70s with no problems. The chief told me to make sure my gun was unloaded when I was crossing the street or walking on the sidewalk.

IIRC Kennedy was a life member of the NRA.

I'm not so sure that Jack Kennedy was anti-gun. When he was a Senator from Mass. he got a DCM Garand and then when he was President, he had Gary Anderson to the Oval Office to award him an International Distinguished badge after his World Championship in Cairo.

B

When I was in college way back in the late 70s I had a US Government professor that made it a point after every time he said the 2nd amendment gives people the right to bear arms would interject, "I don't know why you would want to own a gun. You have to be a nut to own a gun."

it's ignorance my man! most people think of guns as they see them on t.v. which is crazy fake. knowledge is power! guns are great, fun and safe. gun education is where it's at.

Back in the day a gun was just a tool. Hunting, protection or whatever. If something bad happened it was because a 'bad' person did it. Today people are literally afraid of guns. Whenever there's a shooting it's the gun, or the fact that the perpetrator had one, that get's all the attention.
Sometimes I think it was the JFK assassination that changed everything. What do you all think?

The JFK assassination set the table for more gun control. The assassination of RFK was the final push that gave us the gun control act of 1968. I think that was the tipping point.

I'm not so sure that Jack Kennedy was anti-gun. When he was a Senator from Mass. he got a DCM Garand and then when he was President, he had Gary Anderson to the Oval Office to award him an International Distinguished badge after his World Championship in Cairo.

B

Jack was not terribly anti-gun, but he was turned into a celebrity, and was shot with one (at least one).

The death of Bobby really set the anti gun sentiment into action, and it went down hill from there.

An armed public has always been the bane of people who wish to rule over others. Anti gun sentiment has been around to some degree in this country since before it's inception. Even the British wanted to confiscate the colonists cannon and powder stores and render them defenseless against the king and his soldiers and many people even back then supported it.

As for personal arms, its just another step in the same direction by the same type of like minded tyrants. They capitalize on the ignorance and emotions of the general public who for the most part can't think their way out of an open paper bag.

IIRC Kennedy was a life member of the NRA.

Correct, President Kennedy was an NRA Life Member and proud of it.

The JFK assassination set the table for more gun control. The assassination of RFK was the final push that gave us the gun control act of 1968. I think that was the tipping point.

Also true.

What I think is a reasonable time-line, I'll list below. Note that "knee jerk reactions" of creating laws isn't something new and both parties are guilty.

NFA Act due to gangsters in the Prohibition era using F/A weapons. 1930s

1963 - Assassination of JFK and subsequent assassination of Lee Harvey Oswald. Hard push for gun bans but didn't get political traction.

1966 - Texas Tower murder of students. Resulted in laws banning firearms on school property.

1968 - Assassinations of Dr. Martin Luther King and RFK. Riots in Watts, Boston (lots of Roxbury burned), etc. This was the political tipping point and GCA of 1968 enacted.

It's been a steady roll downhill since then. Slight bumps in the road due to Heller and MacDonald decision lately.

Combine Viet Nam with new 'progressive' theories in child rearing in the late 60's and you get the perfect storm of 'we are a violent society because we teach violence therefore if you ban all tools of violence from our culture we shall have children growing up into peacful little angels who find other ways to resolve conflicts and channel their agression' blah blah blah blah blah.

All so much bullshit.

Combine Viet Nam with new 'progressive' theories in child rearing in the late 60's and you get the perfect storm of 'we are a violent society because we teach violence therefore if you ban all tools of violence from our culture we shall have children growing up into peacful little angels who find other ways to resolve conflicts and channel their agression' blah blah blah blah blah.

All so much bullshit.

Its ironic that those same children are the ones with the biggest problems in life when it come to coping with adversity and conflict resolution....they don't have the skills to do either because they've been spoiled and misguided their entire lives.

Its ironic that those same children are the ones with the biggest problems in life when it come to coping with adversity and conflict resolution....they don't have the skills to do either because they've been spoiled and misguided their entire lives.

110% on the same page with you sir.

Thanks for all the great posts. I'm kind of thinking it was the two kennedy assasinations that turned the tide. But I was also thinking it may have had something to do with the whole drug culture. The idea that drugs are the problem and not the people who abuse them fits hand in hand with the evil gun mentality.

Thanks for all the great posts. I'm kind of thinking it was the two kennedy assasinations that turned the tide. But I was also thinking it may have had something to do with the whole drug culture. The idea that drugs are the problem and not the people who abuse them fits hand in hand with the evil gun mentality.

I would say the whole "self esteem" culture bears a large part of the blame - taking "love the sinner, hate the sin" to the ridiculous extreme. I feel like the concept of personal responsibility has gone out the window. The idea that I get to do whatever I want with "society" taking care of me if I screw up is moronic at its core, but is the best way I can describe much of modern society. If you believe that we're all "good at heart" then obviously it must be something external causing you to go bad - like guns of drugs or the like. The idea that you're fully in control of taking drugs, using a gun, etc seems to be out of style ...

If we don't teach those who are kids now about guns, they'll be the ones banning them when they get older.
A local elementary school went into panic mode a couple of years ago because a student brought in...brass. Empty brass. Enough to get other kids crying because they were scared they were going to die. Enough to get the principal to send home a letter to every parent.

We will be our own undoing.

55_grain

People do no want to think anymore, they want to be told what to do, what to believe by everyone else. "zombies". All we need is a "bad apple" to make noise and the "crowd" follows. This is the "Me" generation, the "Feel good" Generation. Blame others, not Me. Blame the object not the person, bla, bla, bla. We need a drastic change in the way our kids brought up, and the soft way our schools are brainwashing our children. I try to "expose" my kids to life, real life, as much as I can so they are not caugt by surprise like most sheltered kids these days. Dialogue with them and you'll be surprise what comes out of them.

My belief is that the perceived evil of guns increases proportionate to proximity to urban centers populated by these things:

hipster.jpg

In places where guys have backbones, they tend to realize that a gun is not any more or less evil than a hammer, car, or [STRIKE]ex-wife[/STRIKE].

Sadly, the younger generations are too self absorbed and used to being insulated from the world around them to even realize that their food comes from animals. (Don't get me started on that vegan crap either.) Yet, what will happen when the inevitable occurs and there is a major interruption in a needed resource, be it water, food, or shelter? They'll be incapable of protecting themselves and gathering the resources they need.

My belief is that the perceived evil of guns increases proportionate to proximity to urban centers populated by these things:

hipster.jpg

In places where guys have backbones, they tend to realize that a gun is not any more or less evil than a hammer, car, or [STRIKE]ex-wife[/STRIKE].

Sadly, the younger generations are too self absorbed and used to being insulated from the world around them to even realize that their food comes from animals. (Don't get me started on that vegan crap either.) Yet, what will happen when the inevitable occurs and there is a major interruption in a needed resource, be it water, food, or shelter? They'll be incapable of protecting themselves and gathering the resources they need.

My dad would've shot me as a teenager if I came home dressed like that.[laugh2]

Two milestones:

Prohibition and when JFK got voted out from the rooftop.

Both times made the .gov see how powerless it really is when someone really wants to f-ck it up.

It was 1963 and the Kennedy assassination. The NFA of 68 pushed through by Senator Kennedy of MA was the first stone of the barrage. That got all those, "evil through the mail rifles" off the market and set us on a course of safety for all mankind.

Before 63 I could walk out my door with a 22 rifle uncased and walk out of town to the woods and go hunting. The cops would wave.

Funny you should say that, I was headed into the woods Sunday Afternoon the spot I was heading into was in the middle of a new development and the owner of a home nearby called the police. I had my shotgun and was walking toward the trail when the officer arrived. she was polite and let me know the neighbor had called and that in the future don't come up the one way street and just park on the left side of the road and that I should be careful for hikers. She then told me good luck. I didn't have to light up a Kool or anything

B

There is actually an interesting tidbit in the latest "American Handgunner" It is a reprint of a write in.

"By Calling attention to 'a well regulated militia' the security of the nation and the right of each citizen 'to keep and bear arms' our founding fathers recognized the essentially civililan nature of our economy. Although it is extremely unlikely that the fears of government tyranny which gave rise to the Second Amendement will ever be a major danger to our nation, the Amendment still remains an important declaration of our basic civilian-military relationships, in which ever citizen must be ready to participate in the defense of his country. For that reasom, I believe the Second Amendment will always be important."
Senator John F Kennedy
GUNS Magazine, June 1960.

When the oldest liberal drew his/her first breath.

Be careful. Not all liberals are anti-gun. That seems to be a common thread that runs through this board.

Prohibition. When the government realized it's enforcers were outgunned, they started demonizing guns. They were only able to start with specific types, but it started there.

That's when it started. But like others have mentioned, the screws got really turned in 1968 with the GCA. Then there's been state-level interventions like in 1998 in Massachusetts.

Death by a thousand cuts. It's the classic Fabian strategy. And it works.

Movies/Television and drug gangs. How many movies have a AR firing a couple hundred rounds without reloading? And of course it's full-auto since you can pick them up at any store. Or maybe when they made it so you couldn't but a Thompson through the mail (I think).

I saw a L&O repeat a while ago where the murder weapon was a 40mm... That's one big-ass handgun!!!!

Post #56 quotes and early post that I read the other day -- I didn't got back.

It incorrectly refers to "NFA of 1968". To be accurate, we should note that it is NFA'34 and GCA'68.

Almost all legislation that is as sweeping in scope as the GCA'68 takes to years to pass. I think that there was a precursor bill before the JFK assassination by rifle. This bill began to move then. Strangely, it was an anti-handgun ban. whatever the details, it did not become law.

After the RFK assassination by handgun, long guns were included in the bill that became GCA'68.

--jcr

Back
Top Bottom